daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #981
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Actually, I'm very fond of it

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #982
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Me too. But I always thought the ticket hall was hideous actually.

From Google Images...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I guess it's OK... I can't see how anyone could like it though.
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #983
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

The only ticket halls and stations in LU that I actually like are ones of the Jubilee line's 1999 extension from Westminster towards the East. Most of the older stations indeed look hideous.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #984
PortoNuts

Fulham Broadway Station - Distric Line

flickr
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #985
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Some posts that try to portray London underground system's backwardness as a good thing (e.g. Tubeman's, NTC's, etc.) seriously made me laugh! Do you guys seriously believe in what you are saying?
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #986
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Although I never payed much attention to Piccadilly Circus' ticket hall the few times I used it, it looks pretty nice judging from the photos.

The only tube station I can think of that I'd consider "hideous" is Holland Park's(I think) Central Line platforms, which from what I remember are dark with a lot of exposed concrete. Marble Arch also doesn't look too hot right now now that it's being renovated(does anyone know when it's finished if not already?)
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #987
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

The tube isnt backwards. For a system that old I think its doing ok actually at the moment. In 10 years it'll be up to scratch.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #988
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
Some posts that try to portray London underground system's backwardness as a good thing (e.g. Tubeman's, NTC's, etc.) seriously made me laugh! Do you guys seriously believe in what you are saying?
Stop trolling
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #989
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Me too. But I always thought the ticket hall was hideous actually.

From Google Images...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I guess it's OK... I can't see how anyone could like it though.
It's the best example of a 1920's redevelopment of a central London station (Charles Holden) and so if you look closely it has a lot of period features. However, the overall effect passing through isn't brilliant, the ring-shaped concourse looks a bit on the gloomy side... I guess there's a limit to how much additional lighting is allowed to be installed for heritage reasons.

In context it must have looked ultra modern in the 1920's
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #990
bleetz
one.man.army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
The tube isnt backwards. For a system that old I think its doing ok actually at the moment. In 10 years it'll be up to scratch.
I'm not saying that the whole tube is backwards, however, the inability to use a mobile phone can in no way be considered as an advantage. It is completely insane to be saying something like that!
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #991
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
I'm not saying that the whole tube is backwards, however, the inability to use a mobile phone can in no way be considered as an advantage. It is completely insane to be saying something like that!
One of the main reasons you can't use mobile phones is because many of the lines are deep bore lines and there is no coverage that far down. If you experienced mobile phone coverage in metro networks in other parts of the world, it is likely because they are much more shallow and probably cut and cover lines.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #992
bleetz
one.man.army

I'm not arguing why you can't use the phone. I'm simply saying that inability to use it is not an advantage, and there is no way in which I could view it as one. It's obviously one of the many disadvantages that arises from the age of the system.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #993
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
Issues like the lack of step-free access in many stations, no mobile reception, insufficient capacity of tunnels and other public spaces during the peak hours (and not only) is a big problem, in my opinion.

Of course, the reason for that being the age. However it doesn't really change the fact, does it? If all (or at least most) of the tube would function like the most recent extension of the Jubilee Line (Westminster-Stratford), then it would not be 'backward'. At preset, due to whatever reasons, it is 'backward' and one can feel it using every day in virtually any location with some exceptions.

I udnerstand that upgrading it to a more contemporary standard would take tens of billions of £ (I'm not talking about the 'we're investing £10 billion into your tube' PR campaign) and therefore is quite unrealistic, but I guess it is still legitimate to express an opinion on the matter. And I absolutely agree with bleetz on this one.
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #994
stevevance
Steven Vance

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
One of the main reasons you can't use mobile phones is because many of the lines are deep bore lines and there is no coverage that far down. If you experienced mobile phone coverage in metro networks in other parts of the world, it is likely because they are much more shallow and probably cut and cover lines.
Or the transit agency installs cellular equipment in the tunnels and leases it to the cellular companies, like in Chicago. All networks (T-Mobile, AT&T, VZW, U.S. Cellular) now have lease agreements with the Chicago Transit Authority. I'm not sure if you get 3G, though.

The CTA uses the same equipment to run a network for emergency personnel communications.
Old April 5th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #995
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
All the technology is down there and installed, but is is reserved for the LU communications system (Connect) and emergency services. We can't be 'backwards' if we have one of the most modern internal communications systems anywhere.

I'm not bothered that I can't use my phone down there... That is my opinion.
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #996
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

Does Connect uses GSM/UMTS?
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #997
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
All the technology is down there and installed, but is is reserved for the LU communications system (Connect) and emergency services. We can't be 'backwards' if we have one of the most modern internal communications systems anywhere.

I'm not bothered that I can't use my phone down there... That is my opinion.
Who cares what internal system there is? The drivers and other staff perhaps? Passengers (which is what the tube is for) care about ability to use their mobile phones which is what we're discussing here. Since London is about the only major metro system in the world where one cannot use their mobile phones, it is very legitimate to say it's backward... if you don't like the word you can use other wording such as "insufficient", "unpractical" or whatever. Doesn't change the essence.
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #998
PortoNuts

Old April 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #999
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Does Connect uses GSM/UMTS?
Seemingly they're introducing TETRA system which, according to Wikipedia, is quite similar to GSM but not identical, thus could not be used for regular mobile coverage.
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #1000
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6995

So still not the same. In any way it doesn't matter. Every operator needs to build their own infrastructure - own base stations, own cables etc. Unless the London Underground will decide to build a single network leasing it to mobile operators. So it won't interfere with the current system.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground