daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1001
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Not sure how up to date this is (the article is from March 2009)

Exclusive: High costs kill off London Underground mobile plans
http://www.silicon.com/technology/mo...lans-39407411/

Quote:
A plan to put mobile connectivity on the London Underground (LU) has stalled.

Back in March 2007, Transport for London (TfL) put out a tender for a six-month trial of mobile phone technology on the Waterloo and City line. The aim of the trial - originally scheduled for 2008 - was to determine whether it would be technically and commercially viable for coverage to be extended across the entire Tube network.

Speaking at the time, Richard Parry, London Underground's strategy and service development director, said: "We recognise that there is now growing demand for mobile coverage to be extended to deep-level sections of the Tube."

However, two years on and no trial later the conclusion seems to be that mobiles on the Tube are not commercially viable. A TfL spokeswoman told silicon.com three proposals were received by the October 2007 deadline but none were considered commercially "credible".

"London Underground tendered for a trial of mobile phones on the Waterloo and City line but the market has yet to provide us with a credible proposal for enabling mobile phone use on the Tube," she said.

The high costs associated with the tenders appear to have seen the project shelved.

"While it is technically possible to deploy mobile phone and data wireless solutions on the deep level Underground tunnels and stations, the unique nature and environment of the Tube mean that project costs would be prohibitively high at this time," the spokeswoman said.

TfL is still open to commercial approaches, according to the spokeswoman, but there are currently no active plans to trial or deploy cellular technology - meaning the Underground mobile network rollout has effectively hit the buffers.

However mobile operator O2, which already offers cellular access on the Glasgow subway, blamed the lack of a London Underground mobile trial on the demise of Tube upgrade contractor Metronet.

Metronet went into administration in July 2007, before being taken over by TfL in May the following year.

An O2 spokesman told silicon.com: "O2 was accepted to take part in a trial on the London Underground in 2007. Unfortunately due to the demise of Metronet the trial never went very far. However, we are still in discussions with TfL regarding any possible future trials."

Earlier this year, the Airwave emergency communication system went live on the Underground - which means police and other emergency services personnel are now able to communicate wirelessly through 250 miles of Tube tunnels.
So all in all it seems a no-no for mobiles in the Tube, because it's not economically viable. Can't argue about that.

Last edited by Pansori; April 5th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #1002
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #1003
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The only ticket halls and stations in LU that I actually like are ones of the Jubilee line's 1999 extension from Westminster towards the East. Most of the older stations indeed look hideous.
What a load of crap. There are plenty of attractive old stations. The ugliest stations are the ones that were "renovated" in the 80s and 90s, which are most of the ones in Central London, unfortunately.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #1004
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
What a load of crap. There are plenty of attractive old stations. The ugliest stations are the ones that were "renovated" in the 80s and 90s, which are most of the ones in Central London, unfortunately.
Sorry, I guess we just don't share the taste specifics. Admittedly I favor modern interiors (spacious+contemporary materials such as concrete, glass and steel).

Anyway, it's not the architecture that I most care about. The priority should be efficient, fast and, if possible, comfortable service.
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1005
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I have to agree with iampuking. The older ones have mountains of character and history, you really can't recreate that like you can with the modern ones.

And that's why I prefer metro systems like the Tube and the Paris Metro over ones like the Hong Kong MTR and Singapore's MRT. The stations are clean and modern, but they're bland and sterile.

However, with new stations in London etc., it's good to see a high design quality being used rather than cookie-cutter designs that follow a repeated layout scheme.
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #1006
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

One thing I like design-wise about most Tube stations, at least the deep-level ones, is how "bright" they are...it's easy to forget that you're hundreds of feet underground with all the light colours used on the walls and ceilings and plenty of lighting, which gives it a much more relaxed and safe atmosphere. Some of the surface and sub-surface stations are darker, but at least during the day that's offset by their exposure to the outside.

I find that many modern metros use dark paint and leave things like the ceiling above trains exposed, which gives them a claustrophobic(regardless of how much physical space there is) and less pleasant quality. Even the newer parts of London's network, such as the new Jubilee Line stations and the few underground DLR ones, suffer from this to an extent, although they are better in other aspects.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1007
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Me too. But I always thought the ticket hall was hideous actually.

From Google Images...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I guess it's OK... I can't see how anyone could like it though.
I've always loved the 1930s art deco style!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #1008
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
There has been some statements on the board claiming that London Underground have no mobile coverage? Is it true?
It is so true. But tbh It would be so hard to speak to someone with all the noise of being on a train in a tunnel

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #1009
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
It is so true. But tbh It would be so hard to speak to someone with all the noise of being on a train in a tunnel
Actually, most of the LU has excellent coverage, since the majority is actually above ground. I also believe the coverage on the cut and cover lines, although not consistent, is still available. The problem is the deep bore lines mainly and that is due to something called the planet earth which gets in the way of the signals.
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #1010
PortoNuts

London Bridge Station - Jubilee/ Northern Lines

flickr
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #1011
Pansori
planquadrat

@city_thing

I guess I don't share your view on this. From the very first time I saw LU (that was back in December 2004) most of its old (i.e. ones with "character") stations looked ugly, dirty, lacking space and simply unappealing. I guess the "character" feature depends on what you're after in a tube station. I prefer comfort, space and purpose. Those looking for old architectural features may more appreciate the "character". I, however, fail to get excited or even be interested in the character of old tube stations.

One of my favorite tube station exteriors would be Canada Water. very simple, sexy and effective:
image hosted on flickr

Photo by Kake Phugh (Flickr)

And the best interior, without a doubt, goes to Westminster station, an engineering marvel:
image hosted on flickr

by y entonces (Flickr)
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #1012
iranair777

Likes (Received): 7

any updates on the new s class?
iranair777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #1013
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
@city_thing

I guess I don't share your view on this. From the very first time I saw LU (that was back in December 2004) most of its old (i.e. ones with "character") stations looked ugly, dirty, lacking space and simply unappealing. I guess the "character" feature depends on what you're after in a tube station. I prefer comfort, space and purpose. Those looking for old architectural features may more appreciate the "character". I, however, fail to get excited or even be interested in the character of old tube stations.
"Ugly" and "unappealing" are subjective, and I can understand and somewhat agree with "lacking space", but I really don't get where "dirty" comes from. For the most part I've been impressed by how clean the Underground has been kept, especially considering its age and how much it's used. Obviously a system this large and busy can't be kept 100% clean all the time, and I'm sure in distant areas and peak hours some stations end up in less than stellar shape, but since I've come to London I've honestly noticed the Tube's cleanliness more than any dirtiness.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #1014
iampuking

I don't see how the Circle and District platforms at Notting Hill Gate lack space, are ugly, dirty, unappealing or inefficient.
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #1015
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc89 View Post
"Ugly" and "unappealing" are subjective, and I can understand and somewhat agree with "lacking space", but I really don't get where "dirty" comes from. For the most part I've been impressed by how clean the Underground has been kept, especially considering its age and how much it's used. Obviously a system this large and busy can't be kept 100% clean all the time, and I'm sure in distant areas and peak hours some stations end up in less than stellar shape, but since I've come to London I've honestly noticed the Tube's cleanliness more than any dirtiness.
Sorry, perhaps dirty is not the most suitable word in its real meaning.

As about subjectivity I completely agree. For example, I have never been amazed by the ultra-posh interiors of Moscow's metro... I have always found it tasteless and out of place while at the same time I'm a huge admirer of Singapore's MRT. I guess I tend to see those things from a practical and purpose-based point of view which in virtually all situations equals to being modern. To my understanding, this is the much more important thing in transportation systems than some "character" or "spirit". I would leave those to the historic old towns and UNESCO's heritage sites. On the other hand, who knows, maybe LU will some day become one due to its unique oldness and heritage.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1016
iampuking

Quote:
Sorry, perhaps dirty is not the most suitable word in its real meaning.

As about subjectivity I completely agree. For example, I have never been amazed by the ultra-posh interiors of Moscow's metro... I have always found it tasteless and out of place while at the same time I'm a huge admirer of Singapore's MRT. I guess I tend to see those things from a practical and purpose-based point of view which in virtually all situations equals to being modern. To my understanding, this is the much more important thing in transportation systems than some "character" or "spirit". I would leave those to the historic old towns and UNESCO's heritage sites. On the other hand, who knows, maybe LU will some day become one due to its unique oldness and heritage.
Then why not refrain from commenting? It isn't that you think "character" and "spirit" is unattractive, just unecessary.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1017
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I don't see how the Circle and District platforms at Notting Hill Gate lack space, are ugly, dirty, unappealing or inefficient.
You clearly haven't been there recently then! Though in defence of the station it is undergoing a VERY VERY VERY slow refurbishment. Will look nice once they eventually finish it. Hopefully before I leave this country in 10 months time. Would be ironic actually as the refurb started when I first arrived about 3 years ago.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1018
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Then why not refrain from commenting? It isn't that you think "character" and "spirit" is unattractive, just unecessary.
I find it unattractive and I don't see a problem expressing my opinion on that just as I don't have a problem with anyone expressing their opinion on the matters relating to London Underground even if I disagree with their point of view.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #1019
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

For some reason, I am oddly drawn to the chick on the left with the "kinky boots".
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1020
PortoNuts

Walthamstow Central - Victoria Line

flickr

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground