daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1061
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

Northern Line trains at Morden

flickr

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1062
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

there sure is a lot crammed into a small space there. ive never been so for south to see it tho lol

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1063
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Kentish Town is one of the few stations outside of Zone 1 that has a convenient interchange between NR and LU. Also it is one of the few to retain the original Yerkes tile patterns, although it's a pastiche.
Quite a few stations on the Northern Line have the tiles still. Mornington Crescent and Hampstead included with the old name (Heath Street)

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1064
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Don't go to Morden. Ever. It's a s**t hole.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1065
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Don't go to Morden. Ever. It's a s**t hole.
Trust me from an ex-Northern Line driver, that brief glimpse of daylight sandwiched between 17 1/2 miles of tunnel was very welcome!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1066
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Fair enough. And in fact, the Northern Line depot at Morden is probably the prettiest part of the area anyway.

You remind me though that I have, every so often, had a wonder at what it would be like to be a tube driver. How many pairs of trips on one shift might a driver make along the Northern Line?
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1067
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:

Fair enough. And in fact, the Northern Line depot at Morden is probably the prettiest part of the area anyway.

You remind me though that I have, every so often, had a wonder at what it would be like to be a tube driver. How many pairs of trips on one shift might a driver make along the Northern Line?
There was a little 'variety' on the Northern due to the two northern branches (or three including the Mill Hill East stub) and the two routes through Central London, so it varied... I was at East Finchley Depot, so a rough 'half' would perhaps involve EFY northbound - High Barnet - Morden via Bank - Edgware - Golders Green and off for 'grub'... That would be about 4 hours... Then after 'grub' maybe Golders Green northbound - Edgware - Kennington Loop - High Barnet - East Finchley southbound and finish... about 2 1/2 hours... so a pretty typical 7 1/2 hours from book on to book off.

You could have '2 Mordens' in a duty, which would be the epitome of a crap duty for an East Finchley or Golders Green driver (or Guard as then existed)...
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #1068
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Did you ever have a bit of fun with passengers, by deliberately accelerating trains in a violent, jerky manner or braking them particularly hard?
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1069
PortoNuts

Quote:
Did you ever have a bit of fun with passengers, by deliberately accelerating trains in a violent, jerky manner or braking them particularly hard?
It might be fun to play a little bit with the machine but I'm sure it wouldn't be comfortable to the passengers nor would it be professional.

It can be really easy to lose your balance if you're standing up (which can be particularly embarassing during rush hour).
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #1070
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Nah, that's just mean

Jerkiness is almost always out of the drivers' control... Some stocks are prone to jerky acceleration / braking (Bakerloo '72, Circle / H&C C Stock), the other common instance is the jerk when pulling away when the train is very busy and pressure against the doors causes loss of the 'pilot light' and the motors suddenly dropping out. This can't be helped, and can only be mitigated against by pulling away in 'shunt', which is the slowest acceleration possible.

I'd always generally accelerate and brake as hard as possible, which is desirable in terms of maintaining headways, but there was always an art to making the final brake application then releasing it just as the train came to a halt, which removed the 'jolt'... And when pulling away, going straight from a braking position to motoring which smoothed out the initial jolt when the motors engage (as this way they are pushing against the brakes for the first second or so). I liked to provide a very speedy, yet smooth, ride
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1071
PortoNuts

Shepherd's Bush Station - Central Line

flickr
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1072
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Trust me from an ex-Northern Line driver, that brief glimpse of daylight sandwiched between 17 1/2 miles of tunnel was very welcome!
Were you ever a Picadilly Line driver, going past the central platforms at Turnham Green, Ravenscourt Park and Stamford Brook and full speed? That is a bumpy ride
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1073
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Were you ever a Picadilly Line driver, going past the central platforms at Turnham Green, Ravenscourt Park and Stamford Brook and full speed? That is a bumpy ride
No, but as a District Line driver you'd occasionally be instructed to run 'fast' between Acton Town and Barons Court and cross over to the Piccadilly tracks... But the only stations we non-stopped were Chiswick Park and Stamford Brook eastbound (because there are no platforms). This would be to avoid an operating problem on the 'slow' lines (e.g. signal failure).

The 'fast' track's been re-layed between Acton Town and Ravenscourt Park, and it's nowhere near as bumpy as it used to be... You used to be catapulted up out of your seat in some places... Good fun!
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1074
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Speaking of bumpiness, the Central line sure does accelerate rather aggressively. I like it though and am looking forward to the other ATO equipped lines being similar.

In other new, the East London line has now been re-opened with a northern extension and 4 brand new stations. It is now part of the London Overground but i'd still like to post the new tube map with it included...

[IMG]http://i43.************/2eq3pxk.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by iampuking; April 30th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #1075
PortoNuts

St. John's Wood Station - Jubilee Line

flickr
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #1076
iampuking

Loads of great photos of the new S Stock due to replace the current rolling stock on the Sub-surface lines, including images of it's first test during daylight.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #1077
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

I wasn't a big fan of the S Stock appearance-wise when it was just renders and then early units parked in sheds and such, but seeing it run around on the tracks has actually made it grow on me a little.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #1078
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

I'm nearly sure it's entering, but just in case:
When using Oyster, do they charge you peak or non-peak fare depending on the time of entering or leaving the tube?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:56 AM   #1079
PortoNuts

Really cool trains the Tube is getting nowadays. Modern, clean and faster.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1080
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo
Quite a few stations on the Northern Line have the tiles still. Mornington Crescent and Hampstead included with the old name (Heath Street)
Not exactly, many stations that have been refurbished in "Yerkes style" are not faithful to the original design. Mornington Cresent included. Read all about this here.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground