daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #1081
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Video of 2009 Stock between Walthamstow Central and Blackhorse Road:

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #1082
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I got to ride a really full 2009 stock the other day. Really nice, I was so excited and my friends were quick to show their scathing. It seemed quicker and quieter, was just a shame it was so full!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1083
iampuking

What were your friends scathing about?
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #1084
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
What were your friends scathing about?
it being new I guess

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1085
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

The fact I was so excited (all I said was "wow! A new train! This is awesome") at the fact I was boarding a new train.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #1086
iampuking

Oh, haha. I misread it the first time.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1087
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
The fact I was so excited (all I said was "wow! A new train! This is awesome") at the fact I was boarding a new train.
It's cool...It's a train thing. They'll never understand.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #1088
iampuking

Another 09ts video...

Old May 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1089
WatcherZero

Tramlinks future looks more certain now, Boris is going to provide money for ongoing studies into future lines for Croydon to Crystal Palace (after he was the one who killed it a couple of years ago) but there will be officially no money for any actual work for at least the next 5 years.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1090
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

Very spacious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1091
PortoNuts

Bermondsey Station - Jubilee Line

flickr
Old May 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1092
PortoNuts

Canada Water Station - Jubilee Line

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kake_pu...06572/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kake_pu...65253/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2210751...91513/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frogfis...70946/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpk/405665636/sizes/l/
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1093
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Amazing photos, thank you for uploading them.

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong with people in charge of answering to people's mails regarding Oyster?
I've been waiting for nearly a month, just to ask them if I could collect my card a day earlier.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1094
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

I have a couple of questions about the tube and DLR.

1. There was a small discussion in Shanghai metro topic about platform doors. They are used in the Jubilee line in London. Do they add extra time for the train to stop/depart or open/close the doors? If so, wouldn't it be better not to use a glass wall with doors but something like safety fences near the platform edge? It would still improve safety without causing side effects. Why such an option was chosen in Jubilee line? Are there any clear benefits?

2. I have noticed that doors in some trains (e.g. District line) sometimes open very early or even before the train has come to a complete halt. While some other trains (e.g. Central line) usually open doors after a short time lag (let's say, 1-2 s.) after the train has come to a complete halt. That, of course, may look trivial but when looking at the big picture those seconds add up. Is there any technical reason why some trains/lines can open doors earlier than others?

3. In some stretches the DLR trains start to shake... can't remember the precise location but even on a completely straight path it just starts shaking to the sides like crazy. Why is that happening? DLR was built fairly recently and shaking is something one wouldn't expect from a new system. Even the oldest LU lines do not shake like that.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #1095
WatcherZero

1. Theres two types, security fences like you say to stop people being pushed onto the line at crowded times or fully enclosed tunnels which remove the air pressure changes and can make cooling and ventilation easier.

2. Auto sensing doors or driver flipping a switch in the cabin to release them.

3. An issue with light rail at higher speeds, they sway quite badly on worn track.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1096
iampuking

1) PSDs do increase dwell times marginally as drivers can't open doors before the train stops. However, on the Jubilee line the drivers rarely open the doors before the train stops at non-PSD stations, so the PSDs don't really make a difference.

2) From what i've noticed, all lines apart from the Central and the Jubilee the drivers can open the doors before the train stops. I don't know the exact reason but i'm pretty sure it's specific to the rolling stock on those lines.

3) The shaky ride is due to the fact that DLR trains are made for tight curves, therefore on straight sections of track the train is technically out of it's comfort zone..
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #1097
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't know why but I have that weird habit of observing the way doors are opening each time the trains stops. Once (I think it was District line Wimbledon branch) the driver used to open the doors so early that you could physically step out on the platform just before the train came to a complete halt. I was always guessing that in other stock (Jubilee, Central) it is prevented by some automatic safety systems. I kinda like the idea of opening the doors just before the train has stopped. Even if each such "early" opening saves at least 1 second of time it adds up to something more substantial in the end.

Last edited by Pansori; May 16th, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1098
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I have a couple of questions about the tube and DLR.

1. There was a small discussion in Shanghai metro topic about platform doors. They are used in the Jubilee line in London. Do they add extra time for the train to stop/depart or open/close the doors? If so, wouldn't it be better not to use a glass wall with doors but something like safety fences near the platform edge? It would still improve safety without causing side effects. Why such an option was chosen in Jubilee line? Are there any clear benefits?

2. I have noticed that doors in some trains (e.g. District line) sometimes open very early or even before the train has come to a complete halt. While some other trains (e.g. Central line) usually open doors after a short time lag (let's say, 1-2 s.) after the train has come to a complete halt. That, of course, may look trivial but when looking at the big picture those seconds add up. Is there any technical reason why some trains/lines can open doors earlier than others?

3. In some stretches the DLR trains start to shake... can't remember the precise location but even on a completely straight path it just starts shaking to the sides like crazy. Why is that happening? DLR was built fairly recently and shaking is something one wouldn't expect from a new system. Even the oldest LU lines do not shake like that.
Ask your questions here and I'll answer them
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1099
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Thanks for the answers guys. I don't know why but I have that weird habit of observing the way doors are opening each time the trains stops. Once (I think it was District line Wimbledon branch) the driver used to open the doors so early that you could physically step out on the platform just before the train came to a complete halt. I was always guessing that in other stock (Jubilee, Central) it is prevented by some automatic safety systems. I kinda like the idea of opening the doors just before the train has stopped. Even if each such "early" opening saves at least 1 second of time it adds up to something more substantial in the end.
On the Northern line 1996 Stock the driver can open the doors before the train stops, i've seen it happen a few times. So I don't really think it's a modern safety feature.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1100
MTF

Likes (Received): 204

They were renovating Oxford circus station in 2009 any pictures?

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground