daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1101
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTF View Post
They were renovating Oxford circus station in 2009 any pictures?
It's barely noticeable... Just cosmetic really, looks a bit cleaner / brighter than before. Escalators 1-3 have just been taken out for a year, so the station's pretty chaotic right now (exit only in the am peak).

There's a good chance I'll be taking over the management of Oxford Circus come November, it's being added to my current 6 stations in a reorganisation and I guess I've got as good a chance as anyone of remaining in the hot seat.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1102
MTF

Likes (Received): 204

Will look forward to see some pics.
What is the news on Mile End station? Renovation completed?
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #1103
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

So many stations are renovated, it's hard to keep track of them. Best thing to do is to look on Flickr for the most recent photos of the station.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #1104
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Old May 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #1105
PortoNuts

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #1106
PortoNuts

Wood Lane Station - Circle/ Hammersmith & City Lines

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompage...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jemmans...76853/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmcl/3492643482/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompage...71279/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompage...84981/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompage...40638/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompage...n/photostream/
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #1107
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Interesting video that shows how much Bank station has changed over 20 years.

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #1108
Tubeman
Jubilation

Very interesting... It certainly was very shabby before the refurb... I think people who love slagging the Tube off should remind themselves of how unpleasant a lot of it was until the 1990's.

At 3m25s there's good footage of the Guard at work; my first job with LU

I was Guard and driver on the ex-Central Line 1962 stock trains featured here; many were displaced to the Northern Line when the 1992 Stock was introduced.
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #1109
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Can the collection date and place of an Oyster card be changed?
I am trying to do so contacting with TFL but they do not answer.
Otherwise, if you have not collected the card by now, do they give your money back? How?
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1110
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

I often travelled a route from my home near Clapham North tube station to my sisters near Newbury Park in the 1980s, going via Bank. Remembering what it was like then and seeing in this video what it's like now makes for fascinating viewing.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1111
PortoNuts

The station is much better now. People really ignore how much improvement has been done in older stations, trying to keep updated century old stations. And the LU works within a network of other urban railways and the connections have definitely improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Interesting video that shows how much Bank station has changed over 20 years.

Old May 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1112
PortoNuts

Redbridge Station - Central Line

[IMG]http://i50.************/2yozwnp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i50.************/35nafl0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/25qahcm.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoca...40769/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shehbaz...34293/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shehbaz...32483/sizes/l/
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1113
PortoNuts

A video about the DLR preparations for the London Olympics (it's from March, but still).

originally posted by Jamandell.
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #1115
Harrow + London

Likes (Received): 2

The Hammersmith & City line no longer has any of its own stations since the Circle line extension. Therefore, wouldn't it be sensible to remove the line completely? That would be 1 less line that tfl (or whoever runs the line) has to pay for - it could use the saved money to fund track replacement, new rolling stock, station refurbishments and possible extensions. Admittedly, the District line would likely face extra pressure from Barking to Aldgate East, but there is a solution. Once the new S-class trains arrive on the Metropolitan line, it could branch off from Liverpool Street station and travel along the old H&C route to Aldgate East and continue to Barking (with a possible extension to Dagenham Dock). Currently, the Met line is one of the least used lines on the network, and has room to spare for extra passengers from East London.

At the moment, at off-peak hours, fast trains from Amersham and slow Watford trains terminate at Baker Street, with the slow Uxbridge trains terminating at Aldgate. With the Metropolitan line extension, fast Amersham trains would continue to travel to Baker Street, and Uxbridge trains would continue on to Aldgate. Watford services however would travel to Barking. Not so sure about peak hour services, which are currently very confusing. Anyway, feedback?

(I'm new by the way - I've been reading posts to check on projects for years but I never actually thought to register and contribute)
Harrow + London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1116
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow + London View Post
The Hammersmith & City line no longer has any of its own stations since the Circle line extension. Therefore, wouldn't it be sensible to remove the line completely? That would be 1 less line that tfl (or whoever runs the line) has to pay for - it could use the saved money to fund track replacement, new rolling stock, station refurbishments and possible extensions. Admittedly, the District line would likely face extra pressure from Barking to Aldgate East, but there is a solution. Once the new S-class trains arrive on the Metropolitan line, it could branch off from Liverpool Street station and travel along the old H&C route to Aldgate East and continue to Barking (with a possible extension to Dagenham Dock). Currently, the Met line is one of the least used lines on the network, and has room to spare for extra passengers from East London.

At the moment, at off-peak hours, fast trains from Amersham and slow Watford trains terminate at Baker Street, with the slow Uxbridge trains terminating at Aldgate. With the Metropolitan line extension, fast Amersham trains would continue to travel to Baker Street, and Uxbridge trains would continue on to Aldgate. Watford services however would travel to Barking. Not so sure about peak hour services, which are currently very confusing. Anyway, feedback?

(I'm new by the way - I've been reading posts to check on projects for years but I never actually thought to register and contribute)
Welcome

There's no saving to be made other than on pink ink. The Hammersmith & City and Circle Lines are operationally the same thing: same trains, same drivers, same depots. They're no different to one another in reality than two District line services like Ealing - Tower Hill and Richmond - Upminster. They were just separated for historical reasons and it's stuck, I do agree that the distinction is pointless now.

I've described this elsewhere, but I'd run an amalgamated service of Hammersmith to Barking via a lap of the Circle and back again, i.e.:

Hammersmith - Edgware Rd - Liverpool St - Tower Hill - Gloucester Rd - Edgware Rd - Liverpool St - Aldgate East - Barking

(and back again)

This is lovely in principle because it covers both lines completely, is simple, removes the current inconvenience of getting chucked off a terminating 'Circle' at Edgware Rd and changing platforms to continue, but the issue is tph.

The southern edge of the Circle can't have too many tph without adversely affecting the District, I guess 8 or 9 tph tops before you denude the District service too much, but as this frequency then doubles up between Edgware Rd and Liverpool St, it reduces the possible tph on the Metropolitan Line too. Finally, as this new service is now the only service from Edgware Rd to Hammersmith, it would represent a service cut which would displease Westfield who paid for Wood Lane station.

My (not totally ideal) solution would be to run my above stated service pattern at 9 tph. Combined with the current 21 tph on the District Line between Earl's Court and Tower Hill, that's 30 tph between Gloucester Road and Tower Hill in total (easily doable with ATO). The doubled-up section Edgware Rd to Liverpool St would be 18 tph, allowing 12 tph on the Met Line between Baker St and Aldgate (the rest would terminate at Baker St) giving a total of 30 tph Baker St to Liverpool St. In order to boost the Hammersmith branch service and appease Westfield, I'd build a new bay reversing platform at Paddington Suburban to allow a Paddington - Hammersmith shuttle for the peak (although I personally think that 9 tph is adequate for this section).
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1117
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow + London View Post

Running the Met express trains beyond Baker Street into the City would not be a good use of the stock or train paths. The express stock was designed for less capacity (less doors, more seats), so probably could not handle the crowds on the inner circle anyway. Best to leave that to the high capacity stock used on the local Met, Circle and H and C.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1118
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Welcome

There's no saving to be made other than on pink ink. The Hammersmith & City and Circle Lines are operationally the same thing: same trains, same drivers, same depots. They're no different to one another in reality than two District line services like Ealing - Tower Hill and Richmond - Upminster. They were just separated for historical reasons and it's stuck, I do agree that the distinction is pointless now.
I'm one of these odd people that think lines shouldn't have branches. If it splits, it should be a different line on the map. I know people say it would be terribly complicated on the tube map, but I'm sure some graphic designers could do a wonderful job.

It just makes it easier when planning journeys to know that if you get on say a district line in one direction, no matter what, it will end at a certain station. Not am I on district line that goes to a, or is it the one to b, or maybe this goes to c and so on.

I'm pretty sure most metro's around the world split their lines unless it is a really small branch.
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1119
Harrow + London

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Running the Met express trains beyond Baker Street into the City would not be a good use of the stock or train paths. The express stock was designed for less capacity (less doors, more seats), so probably could not handle the crowds on the inner circle anyway. Best to leave that to the high capacity stock used on the local Met, Circle and H and C.
Amersham trains are express trains. My idea was to have them terminate at Baker Street, for the reason you mentioned above - capacity.
Just wanted to confirm your viewpoint.
Harrow + London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1120
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Redbridge Station - Central Line

[IMG]http://i45.************/25qahcm.jpg[/IMG]
I have never been to this station - it looks different from the regular-looking LU stations. Looks like it needs a lick of paint too!
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground