daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1121
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

The Leytonstone - Newbury Park section of the Central Line is very shallow compared to most Tube lines, so the stations are cut & cover 'boxes' rather than the traditional stations which are bored Tubes of a wider diameter than the running tunnels. The line was built around about the same time as the roads and housing above, so this was feasible.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1122
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

That station looks very Soviet just like Gants Hill, inspired by the Moscow Metro.
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #1123
Harrow + London

Likes (Received): 2

Really? Redbridge doesn't look as ornate or symmetrical as those metros. Looks more like a regular LU station to me. Still, everyone's opinion's different
Harrow + London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1124
PortoNuts

Obvisouly it doesn't have the ostentious decoration of Moscow Metro but it resembles its layout. And it certainly doesn't look like a regular LU station.
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #1125
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post

The Leytonstone - Newbury Park section of the Central Line is very shallow compared to most Tube lines, so the stations are cut & cover 'boxes' rather than the traditional stations which are bored Tubes of a wider diameter than the running tunnels. The line was built around about the same time as the roads and housing above, so this was feasible.
Hi Tubeman....I didn't know that about the Central Line. I can't say that Ive used the Central Line much though. It just caught my eye how unorthodox this particular station looked, in relation to the most common format of station on the London Underground. I have never rode the Metropolitan Line and I'd love to see some stations from that too. Sorry....I'm kind of fascinated by the London Underground!
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #1126
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Redbridge station is cut-and-cover, whereas most tube stations are bored. What makes it unusual is that it's a cut-and-cover station on a 'tube' line, and that unlike most of the cut-and-cover stations it is an island platform. Other stations like this are on the end of the Piccadilly line's Heathrow branch (Hounslow West, Hatton Cross, all Heathrow stations) and on the 21st century section of the Jubilee line (Canada Water, Canary Wharf, North Greenwich). I think Gants Hill, next stop down the line from Redbridge, is cut-and-cover too, but the platform tunnels look bored.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1127
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Hi Tubeman....I didn't know that about the Central Line. I can't say that Ive used the Central Line much though. It just caught my eye how unorthodox this particular station looked, in relation to the most common format of station on the London Underground. I have never rode the Metropolitan Line and I'd love to see some stations from that too. Sorry....I'm kind of fascinated by the London Underground!
Only a very short section, the vast bulk of the tunnelled sections of the Central Line are like the other deep-level tubes.

In fact, I'm a little surprised that the Leytonstone - Newbury Park section wasn't cut & cover full stop... The streets above are Interwar, I don't know when the A12 Eastern Avenue above was laid out, but I'm guessing early 1930's, and the railway below was already largely structurally complete when the war broke out in 1939 (the tunnels were used as an aircraft parts factory). It just seems very short-sighted to be boring a Tube line under a road less than a decade old.
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1128
iampuking

Brilliant video of the new 2009 Stock in service on the Victoria line from Oxford Circus to Stockwell.

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #1129
PortoNuts

It seems that LU has been investing a lot more in new rolling stock than back then. Wasn't some early 1970's rolling stock still in use in this past decade?
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #1130
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
It seems that LU has been investing a lot more in new rolling stock than back then. Wasn't some early 1970's rolling stock still in use in this past decade?
Early 1960's rolling stock is alive and well and running on the Metropolitan Line!

There's still plenty of old stock around, although it's all been refurbished so certainly doesn't look its age:

Metropolitan - 1960
Victoria - 1967
Circle / Hammermith & City - 1969 (& 1977... 2 batches)
Bakerloo - 1972
Piccadilly - 1973
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #1131
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Well all the '60s stock is being replaced as we speak and should be gone in a few years, which would leave the Bakerloo's 1972 trains as the oldest.

Speaking of which, a video of the new S stock running on open track in a test run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlqWP1xuXCw

I also just noticed that it doesn't have the last two digits of its year of introduction in its name like older subsurface trains. Wouldn't that make it the S10 stock?
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #1132
iampuking

The distinction is usually made between the legnth of the trains, for instance S7 or S8. I'd imagine there is no need for a distinction between the age of the individual S Stock trains because they're all coming in one batch.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1133
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Definitely good news that TFL is investing as much in stock as it is doing in stations.

I really like these new trains, do you know when will they be introduced in the Piccadilly Line?
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1134
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodavo View Post
Definitely good news that TFL is investing as much in stock as it is doing in stations.

I really like these new trains, do you know when will they be introduced in the Piccadilly Line?
The Piccadilly upgrade is due to follow when the Northern upgrade is complete in 2012, new trains will go hand in hand with new signalling. That being said, with finances being what they are, it's difficult to predict when the upgrade will actually happen.
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1135
streetquark

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow + London View Post
Really? Redbridge doesn't look as ornate or symmetrical as those metros. Looks more like a regular LU station to me. Still, everyone's opinion's different
The overall design of the space is what is most Moscow-like, especially the large central corridor and wide columns. AFAIK LT took a tour of Moscow as one of their fact finding missions - as they did to NY and Paris - and this was the result.
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1136
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

Looking on some other shots it seems there is no central hall. There is just a single row of columns at the center of station.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Re..._look_west.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Re..._look_east.JPG

And I don't remember any stations in Moscow with "wide columns". As long as you didn't mixed up "wide columns" with pylons.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #1137
Minato ku

It remind me more Berlin subway than Moscow metro.
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #1138
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 17728

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
And I don't remember any stations in Moscow with "wide columns". As long as you didn't mixed up "wide columns" with pylons.
I think he meant column-wall type station. Thus Redbridge is a shallow column-wall station
Maybe, it will be good to sort the LU stations on the construction types (like Moscow): column st., column-wall, two- or three-vaulted?
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать

Last edited by dars-dm; June 15th, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
dars-dm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1139
Tubeman
Jubilation

People are getting Redbridge and Gants Hill mixed up; it's Gants Hill which is Moscow metro inspired

Old June 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #1140
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

I hope this doesnt go ahead

Quote:
Tories want London Underground trains to be driverless

All trains on the London Underground should be driverless, according to the Conservative group on the London Assembly.

In a proposal to the mayor, the Tories claim it would save about £141m-a-year in wages and prevent strike action.

Transport for London (TfL) said staff on board trains reassure passengers, provide information and help with speedy alighting.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union said the proposal would hit safety.

In a memo, seen by BBC London, to the London Mayor Boris Johnson, the London Assembly Conservatives say: "Driverless trains offer a safer, faster, more efficient level of service," the memo states.

"Such a system would end the strangle-hold militant unions have on the city's tube network and seriously curtail their ability to bring London to a standstill.

"The Victoria and Central lines already use technology which has reduced train drivers to door openers.

Continue reading the main story
The Victoria and Central lines already use technology which has reduced train drivers to door openers
Memo to the mayor

Do we even need drivers?
"Current upgrade work will extend this to the Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly, District, Circle, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan Lines.

"With the recent decision to bring [maintenance company] Tube Lines under the control of Transport for London, this is the time to switch to a completely driverless train network."

It adds that a driverless network would solve the "poor state of industrial relations between London Underground management and train operators."

It said between 31 December 2005 and 23 December 2009, there were 20 days of strikes and between the 21 April 2005 and 23 December 2009, there were 34 strike ballots involving the RMT and other unions.

But Bob Crow, general Secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union - the biggest union on the Underground - said: "It is badly thought out, safety has not been thought out.

Continue reading the main story
We are taking it very seriously and it will be resisted
RMT's Bob Crow
"What will happen in a terrorist attack, a derailment or a massive signal failure, is you could have 600 or 700 people trapped down the Tube with no driver - there would be utmost panic.

"I don't think the travelling public will put up with that.

"Under normal circumstances I would be tempted to dismiss this leaked report as some kind of a joke, cooked up by anti-union fantasists, but in the current climate of cuts and attacks on public services we are taking it very seriously and it will be resisted.

"It may well be that some junior politician is simply flying a kite to make a name for themselves, but RMT will not sit back and allow this lethal and unworkable idea to gain any traction whatsoever."

A TfL spokesman said: "The Victoria and Central line trains are the only ones currently in operation on the Tube network that are automatically operated, however on these lines a train operator is in the cab.

"Having a member of London Underground staff on a train helps give reassurance to passengers, ensures prompt opening and closing of doors, speedy boarding and alighting of passengers and departure of the train."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10332333.stm
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground