daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #1321
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow + London View Post
Stick a fan in each carriage

How far along are the new DLR stations from Canning Town to Stratford International?
There are ceiling fans in Tube cars, but I never seem to be able to feel them working, only hear them. Certainly the breeze coming in from the communicating doors' windows is more powerful.

The Stratford International stations are on course for an Autumn opening. The only one I've seen in the flesh is Canning Town, but this was just conversion of the former Silverlink platforms, so already was complete. Dunno about the brand new stations like Abbey Road and Star Lane... If the platforms are fabricated off-site like those for Mitcham Eastfields, then conceivably they might not even have started yet.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1322
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
I have never understood why there are not ventilation shafts (other than the stations) on tube lines. I would imagine something as simple as that would allow heat to escape thus bringing temps down a little but.
IIRC have read/heard that the Victoria Line is actually the best line for ventilation shafts, having 17 already.

In addtion A TFL press release from 26 July 2010 says
Quote:
Work is progressing to cool the Victoria line, with the capacity of the fans at all of the main ventilation shafts serving the line being doubled. Four fans were completed last year and the second phase of the upgrade will be completed this summer.

Also as part of the Cooling The Tube programme a number of ventilation shafts on older lines that were sealed during the WWII (as precaution against bombs or gas) have been reopened in recent years.
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:18 AM   #1323
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
There are ceiling fans in Tube cars, but I never seem to be able to feel them working, only hear them. Certainly the breeze coming in from the communicating doors' windows is more powerful.
The thing is, there are no communication doors with the new stock. It doesn't have to be AC but some kind of system that makes the carriages a bit cooler. LU has to acept the restrictions imposed by its age.
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:23 AM   #1324
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Love the visible gradients on the Central line.

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1325
PortoNuts

The 1992 stock has an incredibly modern look for its time.
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1326
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
The thing is, there are no communication doors with the new stock. It doesn't have to be AC but some kind of system that makes the carriages a bit cooler. LU has to acept the restrictions imposed by its age.
The only stock without doors is the new S stock which is fully articulated AND airconditioned. The rest have communication doors.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1327
PortoNuts

Yes, that what I was saying. But I prefer trains with no communication doors. It makes them more spacious or at least it feels less crowded.
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:15 AM   #1328
the zohan

Likes (Received): 0

My favorite trains running on the underground are the 1995 and 1996 stock.
Comfortable seating, forced air cooling, clean and smart looking interiors and of course the ledgendary noise you get from the 1996 stock motors.
I suppose it's also the sheer number of times Iv'e used them compared to anything else on the underground that makes me like them so much.
Followed closely by the mighty A stock of course.
the zohan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1329
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

http://www.dlrlondon.co.uk/UpcomingW...s.aspx?id=8184
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1330
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 269

Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1331
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 269

Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1332
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
The 1992 stock has an incredibly modern look for its time.
I wonder why the new Stock has so small windows, compared to the 1992's.

Can anyone explain me?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1333
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I wonder why the new Stock has so small windows, compared to the 1992's.

Can anyone explain me?
Customer feedback. Passengers didn't like the 'hall of mirrors' effect on their reflection when viewed in the opposite window.

It's pretty academic on the 2009 stock, as the entire Victoria line is underground (at least the bits the passengers see), so windows serve little purpose.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1334
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodavo View Post
I guess this is too soon to be the Stratford International opening?

The date is still just given as 'Autumn'... which officially began today!
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1335
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Customer feedback. Passengers didn't like the 'hall of mirrors' effect on their reflection when viewed in the opposite window.

It's pretty academic on the 2009 stock, as the entire Victoria line is underground (at least the bits the passengers see), so windows serve little purpose.
Ok, but I imagine the 2009's will also run on other lines, one day. Will people still like those small windows, in open air stretches?

Also, they give an "old era" effect to the train's image: the 1992's may appear even more modern than the last stock.
BTW, this is only my impression, and I've only seen videos of LU, so my opinion may be a little misleaded.

I've seen washing machines with wider openings

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:21 AM   #1336
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the zohan View Post
My favorite trains running on the underground are the 1995 and 1996 stock.
Comfortable seating, forced air cooling, clean and smart looking interiors and of course the ledgendary noise you get from the 1996 stock motors.
I suppose it's also the sheer number of times Iv'e used them compared to anything else on the underground that makes me like them so much.
Followed closely by the mighty A stock of course.
The 2009 stock didn't bring a lot of innovation in terms of external looks but I do finf its interior more pleasing than the previous rolling stock. Even though the 1995/96 stock is excellent.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM   #1337
PortoNuts

Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM   #1338
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Ok, but I imagine the 2009's will also run on other lines, one day. Will people still like those small windows, in open air stretches?

Also, they give an "old era" effect to the train's image: the 1992's may appear even more modern than the last stock.
BTW, this is only my impression, and I've only seen videos of LU, so my opinion may be a little misleaded.

I've seen washing machines with wider openings
The 2009 Stock will not run on any other lines, for three reasons.

1) It was built to take advantage of the slightly bigger loading gauge of the Victoria line and therefore won't fit on any other tube line.

2) Other lines have different needs, for instance Piccadilly line trains will probably be 6 'long' cars rather than 7 'short' cars (the 09TS cars are 'short').

3) Future replacements should take advantage of more recent technology, that's how it tends to work in London (for instance, why were the Jubilee/Northern stock replaced with the 95/96TS instead of just the 92TS?)
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1339
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Thanks, I didn't know about Victoria's wider gauge... well, I don't know a lot of things, about LU.

Sorry, I still have to reach London, fall in love with it, and then discovering more about its rail systems.
I have the precise feeling I will be completely fascinated by the town, unluckily I am still missing the opportunity to get there

Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1340
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Wow, I can't imagine what it would feel like to come to London for the first time, and as an adult.

If you like cities generally and urban transport systems, then yes, you will love London I'm sure. When you do come, get yourself a one-day or one-week travel card, and just go zipping around all over the place.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground