daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1441
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

Modern phones have good mics and speakers, so you won't have troubles with noise inside of train and outside when no moving train around.

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1442
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

Old October 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #1443
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I believe most people avoid making phone calls on the Tube and public transportation in general. There are always noises and people but it's good to be able to text and access the Internet.
It depends more on people's mentality though. Knowing that I would need to shout in order to be heard I just wouldn't use the phone in the first place. But for some people it's not an issue and they scream as loud as they can . I live in SW and use SouthWest Trains and I hardly ever see anyone talking in the carriage when the train is full even if there are no strong noises which may obstruct calling. I still see plenty of poeple texting or browsing net. I can also take District line from Central London (and I do sometimes) but I avoid it simply because I won't be able to use my phone and browse SSC while on the way.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #1444
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

All I do on the tube is listen to music... Never understood those people that can listen to music and read at the same time, what's the point? And I never understand anyone that uses the internet on their phones, the picture is so ridiculously small it's futile.

Off topic, Holborn station really needs a direct interchange between the Central and Piccadilly lines. Currently passengers interchanging have to use the clogged hall at the base of the escalators from the entrance.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #1445
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
All I do on the tube is listen to music... Never understood those people that can listen to music and read at the same time, what's the point? And I never understand anyone that uses the internet on their phones, the picture is so ridiculously small it's futile.
Not true. Most people these days use their phones for internet. The screens are now large enough and so is resolution to comfortably (well, kind of) access normal websites. Many websites, however, have tuned-down mobile versions. And yes, it is possible to read and listen to music at the same time and that's what I do every day. Of course, the reading will have to be non-complex i.e. something like main news of the day or weather i.e. what most people read on the train. I must say you sound like a very old-fashioned person.
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #1446
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6998

what phone you have, iampuking?
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1447
PortoNuts

This passenger filmed the journey between carriages.

Old October 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1448
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A few days ago I was at InnoTrans, in Berlin, and jumped in the S Stock.

If their intent was to demonstrate the presence of the AC system on the train, well, I may call it a full success. Still with some doors open, the only thing missing were a few penguins

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #1449
PortoNuts

Train doors opening on both sides at Stratford.

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #1450
PortoNuts

Manor House escalators

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1451
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Thanks for the London crossing tips everyone, and sorry for the late reply, was a bit busy moving into my new flat.

Unfortunately, I left before I got a chance to read your replies and just went into it blindly. I took the HEx to Paddington then a taxi to Liverpool Street. The Express wasn't bad actually, only slightly more crowded than in the few other times I've used it. The shared taxi(a normal one meant standing in line for an hour) I took to Liverpool Street though probably wasn't much faster or less cramped than a bus, and significantly more expensive. At least I made it though.

Last edited by Apoc89; October 7th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #1452
PortoNuts

Old October 7th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #1453
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Not true. Most people these days use their phones for internet. The screens are now large enough and so is resolution to comfortably (well, kind of) access normal websites. Many websites, however, have tuned-down mobile versions. And yes, it is possible to read and listen to music at the same time and that's what I do every day. Of course, the reading will have to be non-complex i.e. something like main news of the day or weather i.e. what most people read on the train. I must say you sound like a very old-fashioned person.
Oh sorry if I broke the urban law of criticising mobile phones, I apologise.

Only the iPad seems big enough to show websites, something at least the size of an a4 piece of paper IMO is good enough. Music is an art form and listening to it in the background says a lot about the kind of music you like.
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #1454
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Oh sorry if I broke the urban law of criticising mobile phones, I apologise.

Only the iPad seems big enough to show websites, something at least the size of an a4 piece of paper IMO is good enough. Music is an art form and listening to it in the background says a lot about the kind of music you like.
Of course it is not as good as a regular screen but still enough to actually read a website. Some screens are now as big as 4-5 inches which combined with 800x480 or similar large resolution make it possible to relatively comfortably browse any contemporary webpage including SSC which I do every day on a train even on my "small" 3.7 inch mobile display. Plus you have easy zooming options which help if the screen is really too smal in certain situations. I have tried a number of phones and 3.5 inches is about the minimum you need while 4 inches or more is plenty.

And what does this have to do with the music I like? But actually you may have a point here because I mainly listen to lounge and other types of electronic music which is typically played in funky hotels, bars or clubs as background music for their sophisticated visitors. Listening to that on a train while reading SSC is just about right too.
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #1455
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

My HTC Hero's screen is large enough to view "normal" websites at a slower and clunkier, but still very acceptable standard. Mobile-based websites work completely fine, and there are countless apps that use the internet for some purpose or another.

Even if they aren't to your taste, it's difficult to deny the explosion of popularity in smartphones and mobile internet over the last few years, and so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be introduced to the Underground other than cost.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #1456
Pansori
planquadrat

anyway, iampuking, to be more serious, I think we can establish that people DO need mobile reception in trains and tube and the main reason for that is ability to browse internet, text and check email if not make phonecalls. Absolute majority of those who own a contemporary smartphone would confirm that.

Edit: before I even finished this post, Apoc89's post confirmed my point
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #1457
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Train doors opening on both sides at Stratford.
So, what's the point of doing that?
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #1458
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
anyway, iampuking, to be more serious, I think we can establish that people DO need mobile reception in trains and tube and the main reason for that is ability to browse internet, text and check email if not make phonecalls. Absolute majority of those who own a contemporary smartphone would confirm that.

Edit: before I even finished this post, Apoc89's post confirmed my point
Where did I state that I disagreed? Maybe you missed several cues in my original post that showed that I was making a subjective opinion rather than stating an objective fact. Maybe you hallucinated and saw several examples of me quoting scientific journals which clearly stated that Iphone sized screens were insufficient for tube usage. For that, I apologise.
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #1459
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Maybe you hallucinated
The heat while riding Victoria line even in the 2009 stock may indeed cause hallucinations. My apologies for that.
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #1460
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodavo View Post
So, what's the point of doing that?
to allow access to the platforms either side? :P
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground