daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1521
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Oooh that'll be my station this time next week... Pity I find out about this on ssc first though; no-one tells me anything!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #1522
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

SSC is not useless after all!

Try to access the Internet there and then tell us your experience.
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1523
Tubeman
Jubilation

BTopenzone is absolute pony wherever I've tried it, so I can't see it being any different on the Tube. It'll show full wifi signal on my iPhone, yet everything takes an eternity to load. It's always quicker just switching the wifi off and using 3G.
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1524
PortoNuts

Wifi is usually slow in public places, however the strength of the signal is not the same everywhere.
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1525
PortoNuts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #1526
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

London metro is clean but so smallll! i don't understand how this big city has one of the low capacity metro! and it is so hot in station!! i can't believe that! it was disapointing but london tube still has its charm

I love jubilee extension!
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #1527
PortoNuts

Old November 8th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1528
PortoNuts

Quote:
Jubilee Line upgrade completed by spring 2011

Londin Underground expects to finish upgrades on the Jubilee Line by spring next year, it has been confirmed. The new signalling programme is almost a year over schedule already and has seen more than 100 weekend closures of the line in the last three years.

The delays and disruption were branded a “debacle” by London Mayor Boris Johnson and forced Transport for London to buy out private contractor Tube Lines in June. After four months of intensive testing, LU says it is now ready to finally bring the upgrade work to a close.

Mike Brown, managing director of LU, said: “London Underground has been working hard to address the failure of Tube Lines to deliver the Jubilee Line upgrade on time, and the knock-on effects of delays that has had on the Northern Line.

“Following successful testing of the new signalling system over recent weeks, we are now working to deliver the Jubilee Line upgrade by spring next year.” He added a programme to upgrade the Northern line would be outlined early next year, with efforts made not to replicate the disruption suffered by Jubilee passengers.

The weekend closures have caused anger among people living near stations along the line and businesses which rely on it. The O2 has been particularly affected, with thousands of fans facing arduous journeys homes after seeing their only Tube route away from the arena shut down.

Some trains will be operated under the new signalling system by Christmas, offering a significant increase in passenger capacity.
http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/tr..._2011_1_719141
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #1529
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
London metro is clean but so smallll! i don't understand how this big city has one of the low capacity metro! and it is so hot in station!! i can't believe that! it was disapointing but london tube still has its charm

The profile of the trains is not enough to greatly limit the capacity of the system as a whole. How come you don't level this criticism at Paris or Berlin's metro system's which have smaller than average profile trains as well?

What limits the capacity is the frequency of the trains.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1530
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:

The very small tunnels were built with deep level machinery, which was very new technology at the time, so they made it small to save money. Lots of people died too
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1531
PortoNuts

Don't most deep level stations belong to the early lines built? You can't scrap a whole network to build new tunnels.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1532
PortoNuts

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #1533
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The profile of the trains is not enough to greatly limit the capacity of the system as a whole. How come you don't level this criticism at Paris or Berlin's metro system's which have smaller than average profile trains as well?

What limits the capacity is the frequency of the trains.

Paris has built a whole new line -> Meteor line 14 entirely automatic!

Why london can't do the same? not enough money? but london is the richest city in europe!

And the regular lines in paris can have the same dimensions for voitures than Line 14 ones!

I'm sorry even if i love London is just a shame! Tokyo, NY, Paris you have the right dimensions not london!
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #1534
PortoNuts

I've heard people critise LU for a number of reasons. Size of the trains was never one of them, I've seen smaller.
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #1535
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

LOL I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only one who likes LU just the way it is. Sure enough it has its drawbacks, there's no doubt about that. But IMO the trains, the design and size of the stations and pretty much everything else, like the logo for instance, all add up making it one of the most recognizable transport system in the world. I wouldn't consider it in any way as being 'just a shame!'
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1536
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:

Why london can't do the same? not enough money? but london is the richest city in europe!

And the regular lines in paris can have the same dimensions for voitures than Line 14 ones!

I'm sorry even if i love London is just a shame! Tokyo, NY, Paris you have the right dimensions not london!
Um, what are you talking about? First, line 14 is about as old as the Jubilee line extension, so not brand new anymore. Second, it operating automatically doesn't say anything about the size or capacity of the trains. And while London doesn't have an automatically operated Tube line, it does, unlike Paris, have this little thing called the DLR, an entire SYSTEM, considerably larger than line 14, that's operated automatically.

As for capacity, wikipedia mentions that the capacity of Paris' metro trains is between 560 and 720 per train on the main lines (1 - 14), less on the 'bis' lines. For London, some numbers are: 914 for the 1995 Tube Stock on the Northern line, and 1448 (!) for the new 2009 stock on the Victoria Line. So I don't quite get where you got the idea that the Tube trains don't have enough capacity: they actually have a considerably higher capacity than the ones in Paris. As for 'dimensions': yes, the Tube stock is quite low, but that doesn't really affect capacity. Width does. And if we compare, we see that 1995 Tube stock is 2.63m wide. Paris' MF67 is... 2.40m wide. So Paris metro cars are actually considerably smaller than London's tube cars in the place where it matters: width.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1537
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I've heard people critise LU for a number of reasons. Size of the trains was never one of them, I've seen smaller.
Ouch, I think size of carriages is indeed one of the most annoying "features" of LU. That, of course, dos not apply to sub-surface lines. But try riding one of the deep level trains if you are 190cm tall (i.e. me)... I can't imagine how even taller people would feel inside. 2009 Victoria line stock is slightly better in this respect but space IS a major problem. Combine that with heat down there and lack of air conditioning (or even decent ventilation) and you may rather want to die than ride Victoria line train during the morning rush on a warm summer day.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #1538
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:

Take a look at the info on here and elsewhere about Crossrail which is currently under construction under London. This is a huge project and will significantly add capacity to the existing system.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1539
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Likes (Received): 37

Re the Battersea underground extension which seems to be becoming more likely,
why would they build the spur from Kennington on the Northern Line rather than the rather closer Vauxhall on the Victoria Line? And if it is going to be a Kennington spur, why not take the opportunity for a new Northern/Victoria interchange at Vauxhall?
RedArkady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #1540
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Um, what are you talking about? First, line 14 is about as old as the Jubilee line extension, so not brand new anymore. Second, it operating automatically doesn't say anything about the size or capacity of the trains. And while London doesn't have an automatically operated Tube line, it does, unlike Paris, have this little thing called the DLR, an entire SYSTEM, considerably larger than line 14, that's operated automatically.
The Victoria Line has been automatic since 1968!

The Central Line followed in the 1990's with the Jubilee now almost complete and the Northern in progress... The Underground will be predominantly ATO within 5 years.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground