daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #141
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-TIP
Interesting stats on tube heights and platforms! Here, we have double decker commuter trains
Double decker commuter trains are very common throughout the world. But on discussion here are metro systems, and as far as I know there are no double decker metro's in the world - which is quite expected as metro's just wouldn't work efficiently if double decker.

There were a couple of threads about them at SSC recently.

One on commuter trains which shows some of the DDT's can be found here:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=180615

and one exclusivly on Double Decker trains can be found here. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=184752

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #142
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

@Justme: well, according to some people, the RER should be considered a metro and the RER has double deck cars.
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #143
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo
@Justme: well, according to some people, the RER should be considered a metro and the RER has double deck cars.
Yes, I am well versed with those at this forum that consider the RER a metro system. But the RER itself considers it a suburban commuter rail network, and that's good enough for me

I have yet to see any rail website that considers the RER a metro, and whenever Paris is discussed regarding it's metro, it never includes the RER as part of it. It is often called a "Supermetro", which is a nice way of saying it's a

Just because a network goes underground in the city doesn't make it a metro. The Sydney commuter rail network (and there is no question that it is commuter rail) has a majority stock of double decker trains and also goes underground in the central area.

But anyway, it's been debated hotly on this forum for some reason which really baffles me as no rail forum debates this that I have seen, and I'd rather not resserect this again.

So, I stand by what I say, unless I am missing a network somewhere in the world, I don't know of any officially accepted metro network as having double decker trains, but yes, I know of plenty of commuter networks, including those like Paris which has some metro simularities in the central city that have double deckers.
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM   #144
Vertigo
Fan van de Neudeflat

Likes (Received): 130

@Justme: no need to make this argument, I totally agree with you. Just couldn't resist to make this remark.
Vertigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #145
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo
@Justme: no need to make this argument, I totally agree with you. Just couldn't resist to make this remark.
You're right, I didn't want it to sound like an arguement, just came out that way.

It's just Monday, and that brings out the worst in me

Old March 17th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #146
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

The London Transport Museum in Covent Garden has a large collection of old Underground maps. It's quite a fascinating exhibition :
Some Photos
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #147
Crusader

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPtoMKE
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

it is broke and deserves to be fixed. Widening the tunnels for the Victoria, Bakerloo, Northern, Piccadilly, Jubilee lines is necessary. the stations on those lines need to up-graded and accessible for the disable. With the widen tunnels new modern bigger trains will be in operation.

the london underground badly needs to moderns or it will simply become too antiquated and useless.
Crusader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #148
Crusader

the London underground needs a radical overhaul. it desperately needs modernization.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:10 AM   #149
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
the London underground needs a radical overhaul. it desperately needs modernization.
Yes, I agree with you!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #150
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

London Underground needs renewal!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #151
Crusader

Is anyone familiar with this type of train? Apparently it will eventually replace current Victoria, Bakerloo stock.

This train is going to replace the old 78-Stock on the District, Circle line.
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #152
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3204

Unfortunately, I have never been to London. This summer, or maybe in the autumn, I will go to London for the first time. I can't wait, when I see those Underground and Tube pictures.

On this site, you can download three more detailed pictures of the new Victoria Line stock. One impression of the whole train, one of the front, and one of the interior. The reason I don't post them here is because they are very big...

The District Line trains will not be replaced until 2013. These (in my opinion) ugliest trains of the London Underground are being refurbished right now.

Mojito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #153
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito
Unfortunately, I have never been to London. This summer, or maybe in the autumn, I will go to London for the first time. I can't wait, when I see those Underground and Tube pictures.

On this site, you can download three more detailed pictures of the new Victoria Line stock. One impression of the whole train, one of the front, and one of the interior. The reason I don't post them here is because they are very big...

The District Line trains will not be replaced until 2013. These (in my opinion) ugliest trains of the London Underground are being refurbished right now.

thanks for the links and photos. I hope you have a great time when you visit London. I've read the old Victoria stock will eventually be replaced around 2009.

I have to disagree with you about the District Line stock, I like the 78 D-stock. The trains a big and spacious, even during rush hours. But its shame it will take until 2013 before the new trains replaces them. Everything with the London Underground takes ages :-(
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #154
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3204

Oh, I can imagine that these trains will be much more comfortable than all typical deep-level Tube stocks...They have 'normal' dimensions. I consider these trains as 'ugly' because of their design...The Metropolitan Line Stock and the Circle Line Stocks look nicer to me...and I also like all typical Tube Stocks more. But that's personal.. and of course, it is possible that my opinion will change after I have travelled with all these different trains...
Mojito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #155
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito
Oh, I can imagine that these trains will be much more comfortable than all typical deep-level Tube stocks...They have 'normal' dimensions. I consider these trains as 'ugly' because of their design...The Metropolitan Line Stock and the Circle Line Stocks look nicer to me...and I also like all typical Tube Stocks more. But that's personal.. and of course, it is possible that my opinion will change after I have travelled with all these different trains...

When you visit London make sure you ride on the Jubilee line, especially the London Bridge to Canning Town section. Check out North Greenwich, Canary Wharf and Canada Water Stations there are massive and modern.

I think you'll soon change your opinions of the "traditional tube stock" trains. They are small and old. When it gets crowdy you'll feel very uncomfortable.

The District, Cricle, Metropolitan trains are much more comfortable and spacious.
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #156
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader

Is anyone familiar with this type of train? Apparently it will eventually replace current Victoria, Bakerloo stock.

This train is going to replace the old 78-Stock on the District, Circle line.
wow, looking forward to this ones, current ones are nice but this look way cool, I use District and jubilee every morning to work, and jubilee is excellent line, Westminster Jubilee station is probably best station in London.
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #157
MSPtoMKE
Glory to the Hypnotoad

Likes (Received): 0

Wonderful photos, cityscrapers! I missed this one earlier.

I must say that when i visited London, i had no trouble finding my way around on the Underground. I found it one of the easiest big systems that i have been on. That famous map sure helps!
MSPtoMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #158
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZielonaGora
but don't u think it' is a bad idea to give so long names for the subway lines. it is soooo confusing in LU to move inside the system. the indications on the panels are not easy to 'handle'. it'll be better to give the numbers to the lines, as it 's usually in the whole world.
I agree that numbers are pretty good in some cases, but they are no easier to remember. "Was I to get line 5 or line 6?"

They do help in London by having the different colours under each Line Name, much like they have the different colours in the number box on the madrid metro - so it's a combination of remembering a colour and/or a number/name.

It's similar to the car park theory. Many car park designers have found that just numbers for the decks is confusing and people forget them - so they often use colours, either on the deck number, or sometimes painting their entire deck. Other times they have even tried colours and "names" for the decks in the hope of making them more memorable.
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #159
late-

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Bakerloo Line - Goes through Baker Street a major underground station and acts as a sort of "hub".
And of course also though Waterloo at the southern end of the central section just as the name Bakerloo implies. Actually I believe it was originally called the Baker Street and Waterloo railway.

I find the London system of names and colours very easy to follow. The colours are also very easy to make out on signs unlike numbers and letters. This does disadvantage the colour blind though.
late- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #160
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

New cars for Docklands Light Railway

Bombardier Receives A $94 Million US Order From Docklands Light Railway For Automatic Light Rail Cars To Be Used In London, UK

Montréal, May 04, 2005

Bombardier Transportation announced today that it has been awarded a contract from Docklands Light Railway in London, for the design and build of 24 automatically guided light rail cars together with an option for a further nine vehicles. The contract has a value of approximately $94 million US (73 million Euro). Should the option be exercised, the total order would amount to approximately $126 million US (98 million Euro). The new vehicles are scheduled to be delivered between May 2007 and September 2008.

The light rail cars will be manufactured at Bombardier's Bautzen plant located in Germany, with electrical equipment being supplied by our facility in Mannheim and the bogies being produced at our site in Siegen, Germany.

Jonathan Fox, Director of Docklands Light Railway Ltd, said: "This is great news for our passengers as this investment means that 24 brand-new vehicles will be in service from mid-2007. The continued success of DLR and the growth of its widening catchment area requires new extensions and the upgrading of the Bank to Lewisham route. The new vehicles will serve these routes and give our increasing number of travellers a more comfortable journey."

Walter Grawenhoff, President, Light Rail Vehicles, Bombardier added: "During the past 15 years the Docklands Light Railway has become the backbone of public transport between the centre of London and fast developing Docklands area. Bombardier's relationship with DLR is built on a long-standing cooperation which includes the delivery of state-of-the-art light rail vehicles to the first fully automated system in England. This additional order is a tribute to the excellent reliability of these vehicles and the trust in our engineering competence.

Commenting on the announcement, Colin Walton, Chief Country Representative, UK said: "We are pleased to be able to continue to build upon our successful partnership with Docklands Light Railway, supporting them in the provision of an extremely popular, world-class transport system."

The Docklands Light Railway system currently has 94 Bombardier vehicles in passenger service, these vehicles were supplied between January 1991 and March 2002. The cars for this new order are however both technically and aesthetically different to those previously supplied, being of a superior design.

About Bombardier
A world-leading manufacturer of innovative transportation solutions, from regional aircraft and business jets to rail transportation equipment, Bombardier Inc. is a global corporation headquartered in Canada. Its revenues for the fiscal year ended Jan. 31, 2005, were $15.8 billion US and its shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (BBD). News and information are available at www.bombardier.com

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground