daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #1581
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
if no worth complaining then we can say LU is everytime outdated no?
I don't really understand what you're saying, tbh. But if you think LU is outdated then fine. But pretty much everything is outdated once it has been around for longer than a decade. It's what is done to upgrade it that counts. LU has made the most of the small tunnels and the trains are as spacious as they can be.

Quote:
from a foreigner view i'm sorry but it is disappointing because Lu in peaks schedules is just exasperating!
Pretty much every metro system is exasperating if you're not attuned to it.

Quote:
Thank you for informations i didn't notice all those details! On central line i used those narrow cars! But when i look last ones on victoria i feel they are more spacier and modern than central ones! Am i wrong?
What details? And the Victoria line trains are slightly wider than all other tube stocks.

Quote:
And they are not the same larger! Tell me which is the more larger and which is the less.
Eh?

Quote:
And on point 3/ you report, sorry but i've never critized the stations! You don't understand! I criticized cars!
Then what was your point about Line 14? Why did you feel the need to post pics of the stations?

Quote:
in All your engines you have this single door at the end of car when it opens it's just ridiculous comparing with all passengers who want to get on the engine! I don't understand why Lu still produce cars with this single narrow door that is not enough for the traffic passenger
The single leaf doors is because the tunnels are so cramped that the wheels of the train encroach on the train body, meaning that they are just underneath the seats. Therefore it is impossible to change the door layout on the deep level lines. This isn't a problem on the Sub-Surface lines.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1582
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

The scheme of london underground is "make a metro today taking account the fact we can't change the original nature of our construction"

This is the main weak of LU imo !

Why not to make a total whole new line under the actual network ,deeper like they did in Paris with Line 14??

It would cross london from west to east with a total new approach! A question of costs obviously!

Bigger, faster less problems in peaks schedule! That's what i call a vision for the future for a 21st megacity!

Because i honestly think that even LU has improved considerably its network, the problems in 20 or 30 years will not just to repaint the walls and install new mechanic stairways!

The london of tomorrow will have to face demographic growth and i can't believe when crowds take the actual metro that the situation could stay the same in 25 years!

A whole new modern line is needed! A paradigm shift
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #1583
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Why not to make a total whole new line under the actual network ,deeper like they did in Paris with Line 14??
*cough* Crossrail *cough*
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1584
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Quote:
The scheme of london underground is "make a metro today taking account the fact we can't change the original nature of our construction"
If we're talking about the early and deep level lines, then you can't. You can't scrap all of them and put the Tube out of service for a decade or so.

However, by building new lines and extensions, they can do it differently, like Crossrail.
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1585
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
*cough* Crossrail *cough*

Exactly.
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1586
PortoNuts

Old November 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1587
Axelferis

What is crossrail?? if you don't explain the things i can't understand!

What are the different way of transports under london , above london etc...

Please explain like you did for the different metro equipment you mention
Old November 14th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1588
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Quote:

What are the different way of transports under london , above london etc...

Please explain like you did for the different metro equipment you mention
Google is your friend m8!
Old November 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1589
Axelferis

but what is the aim of this thread?
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1590
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

But what's the aim of Google?

Old November 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #1591
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Like I said, last post was the last post already. If I see another one continuing the same debate, I will be handing out suspensions. And if you happen to skip over this post, I'm sorry, ignorance is not an excuse.

Axelferis, if you want to be asking a general question and not want to find the answer yourself before asking, at least try to be asking the question in the correct thread. There is a Crossrail thread.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1592
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #1593
PortoNuts

Quote:
Victoria Station Upgrate Project Wins Prestigious Award

London Underground's Victoria Station Upgrade has won the 'most outstanding project within the Rail and Transit sector' in the 2010 Bentley Be Inspired Awards.

The awards recognise the world's most outstanding infrastructure projects and the winners are selected by an independent panel of jurors of industry experts.

Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor's Transport Advisor, said: 'The upgrades taking place at Victoria have required some creative thinking in order to overcome challenges created by the station's history and location.

'Obviously the improvements are ongoing and we would ask for passengers to bear with us while they continue.

'The fantastic work that is taking place at Victoria to ease congestion, reduce delays and improve passengers' journeys is exactly why the Mayor fought so hard to secure continued investment in the Tube upgrades and I am thrilled that the judges have recognised this.'

Peter Lynch, London Underground's Victoria Station Upgrade Programme Manager, said: 'I am delighted with this award because it shows that industry experts recognise that the Victoria Station Upgrade is a challenging project and we are using innovative solutions to overcome them.

'Jet grouting will be used for the first time in this kind of environment.

'The station's central London location, in the midst of historic buildings, other important structures and numerous utilities is a significant construction challenge.

'The station has been experiencing passenger numbers that have outstripped its capacity, causing congestion and delays at times during the rush hours.

'This project will bring many benefits to more than 80 million passengers who use it each year - including doubling it in size and making it step-free.'

Victoria Tube station, one of the busiest and most congested on the network is set for a radical transformation as part of Transport for London's (TfL's) Investment Programme.

Mott MacDonald is providing the designs for the development.

VINCI BAM Nuttall Limited joint venture are the main contractors who will reconfigure Victoria Underground station - creating a brand new North ticket hall and a new entrance near Cardinal Place shopping mall which will be completed by 2016.

The station will also double in size the existing South ticket hall, and have nine new escalators and seven new lifts. The project will be fully completed by 2018.
http://www.newsonnews.net/travel/546...ous-award.html
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1594
PortoNuts

Old November 16th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1595
PortoNuts

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1596
Dobbo

Likes (Received): 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Nothing needs to be done to the junctions; Edgware - Charing Cross and High Barnet - Bank can be segregated with the existing layout... Every movement is grade separated. In fact, it involves decommissioning points and tunnels, not building anything new, to remove the current Edgware - Bank and High Barnet - Charing Cross paths (this would be foolhardy however).

The issue at Camden is the expected large rise in customers moving between the two 'arms' of the station (the Edgware side and the High Barnet side), because whereas before a customer at Archway (for example) would likely let a Bank train go to wait for their desired Charing Cross train, now they'd have to catch the Bank train (because there'd be none other) and change at Camden, so there'd be a huge increase in southbound passengers having to change there through limited capacity cross-passages.

On the plus side, southbound passengers entering Camden Town station will know which southbound platform is which, because ex-Edgware = Charing Cross, and ex-Barnet = Bank so there won't be the current dashing between platforms witnessed.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought there were some issues with the curve radius (amongst others) in the tunnel junctions around there? I do not recal where i got it from so it may just be me!!

Being able to split the lines would be a dramatic help to frequency through the core and north of Camden. Would it assist at all south of Kennington? Capacity there can be constrained to say the least!

Thank god the tube modernisation was safeguarded!!
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1597
PortoNuts

A tube expansion is essential to the Battersea redevelopment I suppose. It would be a failure without proper LU connections.
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #1598
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:

This is the main weak of LU imo !

It would cross london from west to east with a total new approach! A question of costs obviously!

Bigger, faster less problems in peaks schedule! That's what i call a vision for the future for a 21st megacity!

Because i honestly think that even LU has improved considerably its network, the problems in 20 or 30 years will not just to repaint the walls and install new mechanic stairways!

The london of tomorrow will have to face demographic growth and i can't believe when crowds take the actual metro that the situation could stay the same in 25 years!

A whole new modern line is needed! A paradigm shift
Do some research before you start running your mouth. There is Crossrail, which is exactly what you describe.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1599
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I thought there were some issues with the curve radius (amongst others) in the tunnel junctions around there? I do not recal where i got it from so it may just be me!!

Being able to split the lines would be a dramatic help to frequency through the core and north of Camden. Would it assist at all south of Kennington? Capacity there can be constrained to say the least!

Thank god the tube modernisation was safeguarded!!
I guess the radii are not ideal and there'd be speed restrictions still, but to straighten out the lines after the junctions are removed would be pretty unnecessary. Having the odd 20mph speed restriction south of Camden would be amply compensated for by ATO and simplified service patterns.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1600
PortoNuts

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground