daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1741
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
What to the Brits call the trains when its going above ground, running at elevated tracks?
In my experience as a born and bred Londoner The Underground/Tube is always called that regardless of if it is above or below ground.
"The train" usually refers to the non-Tube railways but not always
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1742
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

^I've noticed more and more people saying, "gotta go catch the train" when they mean tube. It's slightly annoying.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM   #1743
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Quote:
Grade I protection for St James’s Tube station

A Tube station today took its place alongside Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London as one of the capital's most important buildings. St James's Park station has been awarded Grade I listed status, granting it extra protection from redevelopment and recognising its “great historical significance”.

The building above the platforms, known as 55 Broadway, was built as the headquarters of London Underground. When completed in 1929 it was the tallest building in London at 174 feet.

Eight decorative features were carved by artists into its Portland stone facade but one, called Day, had to be altered as it showed a naked boy. Its sculptor, Jacob Epstein, chiselled one-and-a-half inches from the boy's ***** in a concession to Twenties sensitivities.

Designed by architect Charles Holden, and considered to be his finest work, 55 Broadway was inspired by the skyscrapers of New York and heralded the construction of tall buildings in London by helping to loosen height restrictions.

Listings Minister John Penrose said: “When this building opened it represented the height of sophistication. It remains one of the most unaltered Underground stations on the network and a fantastic example of London's architecture at its best.”

The site was challenging because of its irregular shape, and the District line was only 24 feet below the surface. The solution was a cross-shaped layout, which allowed passengers to walk through the ground floor of the office to reach the ticket hall. It also incorporated Henry Moore's first public commission and his only work to show the human figure in motion. The building was granted Grade II status in 1970.

Despite its west wing being damaged in the Second World War, it remains largely unchanged. It has the only Underground concourse with original platform finishes from the Twenties, namely the vitreous enamel cladding to the walls, and enamel signs announcing the name of the station. There are also original platform benches and an original timber kiosk, now a display cabinet. The rest of the building is in a remarkably good state, with the original travertine marble-clad landings on each floor, ground floor lobby, stair hall, and shopping arcade all intact.

Holden also used a team of emerging young artists to embellish the building, including Eric Gill and Eric Aumonier, as well as Moore and Epstein.

English Heritage said: “The sculpture significantly boosts the case for upgrading 55 Broadway to Grade I.”
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ube-station.do
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1744
PortoNuts

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1745
PortoNuts

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1746
PortoNuts

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1747
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
^I've noticed more and more people saying, "gotta go catch the train" when they mean tube. It's slightly annoying.
where's the problem? they are trains after all.

I think it's pretty annoying when people use "tube" as a synonym for the underground. Not all lines are tube lines.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM   #1748
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

^I know. It's odd isn't it. I tend to think that "train" means mainline (which many people call overground- another annoyance), tube being synonymous with underground (though those who call them trains tend to live further out I've noticed) and overground being the overground. But everyone has their own ideals and I must be less prescriptivist.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1749
brianlee
Out

Likes (Received): 0

Anyone knows whether the Jubilee Line upgrade been completed? I have tried searching on youtube for videos showing the performance of the 1996 stock under high power upgrades but have yet to find one...
brianlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1750
PortoNuts

Old February 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1751
Paul Easton

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Have there been any updates about the London Tramlink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I don't think there's a lot going on on that, it's more about Crossrail and Tube refurbishment these days.
It seems someone might have been listening!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/18051.aspx

Quote:
Proposal for new trams to help boost Croydon's economy

31 January 2011

Transport for London (TfL) is planning to run more tram services by leasing up to ten new trams for the London Tramlink network that covers Croydon and Wimbledon.

Companies have been invited to submit proposals to supply the new trams which, subject to funding being confirmed, would increase the frequency of services on the busiest route which runs between central Croydon and Elmers End.

Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor of London's Transport Advisor, said: 'Our tram network offers a vital service to south Londoners and we want to make it even easier for passengers to get on board by boosting the frequency of services.

'Ever increasing numbers are using the trams and this will help improve their access to jobs, education and leisure facilities in the south of the Capital.'

Chief Operating Officer for TfL London Rail, Howard Smith said: 'We are pleased to be working with the London Borough of Croydon to try and boost capacity on the London Tramlink network.

'Since we took over the network in 2008, we have been improving the service and looking at ways to make it even better.

'With the number of journeys increasing by 45 per cent since it opened in 2000 we want to respond to the demand and ensure that London Tramlink continues to provide people in south London with a comfortable and efficient means of getting around.'

The London Borough of Croydon is intending to be able to contribute to the cost of the trams.

Croydon Council Leader Mike Fisher said: 'This is looking like a great deal for Croydon and shows the benefits of an ambitious local authority and committed Mayor working together, pooling resources and expertise.

'Although we are still to take a final Cabinet decision on our contribution, we believe that there will be real support to get additional trams for Croydon to keep pace with growing demand for Tramlink services and also to secure major improvements for pedestrians and transport users around and between East and West Croydon stations.

'Mayor Johnson recognises that extra trams will provide an early answer to capacity issues.'

Notes to editors:

* The invitation to bid has been issued in the Official Journal of the European Union as required by EU regulations. Bids will close on 21 February at 12:00. Following this, pre-qualified bidders will be announced, the Invitation to Tender will then be issued, a supplier will be appointed and a contract let. It is hoped the trams will be able to be delivered by the end of summer 2011

* Tramlink is looking at either new-build or second-hand vehicles that can be modified at reasonable cost to run on the London Tramlink infrastructure

* Tramlink services have remained relatively static (between 2.4 and 2.7 million km per year) since 2000. However passenger journeys per year have increased by 45 per cent in 10 years. It is predicted the 18.6 million journeys made in 2001/02 will increase to 27.8 million by the end of the 2010/11 period

* The London Borough of Croydon's funding commitment towards the scheme is scheduled to be confirmed as part of its future Capital programme being considered at its cabinet meeting on 21 February

* TfL purchased Tramtrack Croydon Ltd in June 2008 when it became London Tramlink. Since then TfL has spent £2m on deep cleaning and refurbishing the tram fleet and tramstops, it has also delivered more than £5m in track upgrades since 2008 to improve reliability
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1752
PortoNuts

Good news then!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1753
PortoNuts

Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1754
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

I hope for the sake of the cameraman he wasn't standing between the coaches?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM   #1755
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
Haha I'm the same! I always say tube! Even if I'm getting the Metropolitan which is the most 'main line' style line.

But something else that annoys me is when people call other networks e.g. Paris metro or NYC Subway 'The tube' The Tube is only for London!!!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1756
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post

I hope for the sake of the cameraman he wasn't standing between the coaches?
Well, he apparently is...
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM   #1757
PortoNuts

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1758
PortoNuts

Quote:
Metropolitan Line is Tube's 'least reliable'

THE Metropolitan Line is London Underground's least reliable line as statistics provided to the London Assembly show just 87.22 per cent of services completed their journey during morning peak times in November 2010.

Of the 1,315 scheduled services, 168 were cancelled: 28 due to a signal failure, 88 because there were no decent trains available and 33 for other reasons within Transport for London's control.

Only two cancellations were due to circumstances out of TfL's control, such as the weather, although curiously this category accounted for a much lower percentage than in warmer August.
http://www.harrowobserver.co.uk/west...6451-28092893/
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1759
PortoNuts

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1760
PortoNuts

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground