daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #181
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Poly Theater, Coastal City

Continued from Coastal City area

Pedestrian spaces near water
image hosted on flickr

Someone else was taking photos too
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:54 AM   #182
Pansori
planquadrat

Poly Theater, Coastal City

Indian Restaurant
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:59 AM   #183
Pansori
planquadrat

Poly Theater. Coastal City

A large elevated pedestrian plaza facing Houhaibin Road and providing a fairly nice view of the surrounding area and the street. There are lots of poeple just hanging out and enjoying a lovely evening
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A 'tunnel'. It looks really nice when lit up in the dark
image hosted on flickr
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #184
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8256

I must say that Shenzhen never really interested me that much and I always thought that Guangzhou is the main place to see in the region (not including Hong Kong). However this thread had made me change my mind. There's lots to see in Shenzhen. It's not one of those generic, boom towns of China, it seems to have been put together with great care and attention. A very unique and attractive city.

Last edited by El_Greco; September 3rd, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:33 AM   #185
Pansori
planquadrat

Wenxin 6th Road below the pedestrian area
image hosted on flickr

The place is very busy in the evening (7-9p.m.). There are lots of restaurants and simply nice places to hang out
image hosted on flickr

Opposite side of the complex. Another long pond with decorative lighting and, most importantly, skyscrapers lining the all-pedestrian area. A really well implemented urban idea with almost complete separation of car traffic and pedestrian areas where applicable. Not sure if there are many other large-scale developments in China at this time which could boast having something at this qualitative level. Perhaps Guangzhou's Zhujiang New City
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; September 3rd, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:45 AM   #186
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I must say that Shenzhen never really interested me that much and I always thought that Guangzhou is the main place to see in the region (not inducing Hong Kong). However this thread had made me change my mind. There's lots to see in Shenzhen. It's not one of those generic, boom towns of China, it seems to have been put together with great care and attention. A very attractive city.
It's true that Guangzhou has always been the 'main' city in that region. It's always been much bigger. It only changed perhaps a few years ago. It's all to do with the astonishing pace at which Shenzhen has been developing. By now it's probably got a population of 15+ million which pretty much makes it bigger than any city outside Asia. It's not an ordinary boomtown anymore but a megacity in its own right. From an urban perspective at least, I think there is more to be seen in Shenzhen than in Hong Kong or Guangzhou these days. There are so many exciting and beautiful things happening there.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:50 AM   #187
Pansori
planquadrat

The last pictures from the Coastal City area. It is especially beautiful at night with lots of elegant decorative lighting, water and plenty of space to chill out

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Kempinski Hotel
image hosted on flickr
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM   #188
blakexu

Likes (Received): 217

it is so amazing that u took the photo of Coastal City, u know in my opinion, futian cbd is the best cbd in the world, maybe u can come back later and later, in 2016 it will be most finish, u will know why I say that haha.
blakexu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #189
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakexu View Post
it is so amazing that u took the photo of Coastal City, u know in my opinion, futian cbd is the best cbd in the world, maybe u can come back later and later, in 2016 it will be most finish, u will know why I say that haha.

You should try to use more modest language sometimes, many if not most people would not agree with that. Instead of saying "best", tell people how good it is.

cuartango, TowerVerre:), Tiaren liked this post
williamhou2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:08 PM   #190
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhou2005 View Post
You should try to use more modest language sometimes, many if not most people would not agree with that. Instead of saying "best", tell people how good it is.
I think he was referring to this

Futian is certainly on its way to claim one of best CBD skyline in the world

Highcliff, yeisson liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #191
Pansori
planquadrat

For the moment, in my opinion, Futian does not look nearly as good either on the street level or in the skyline as Guangzhou Zhujiang New Town. But I guess we'll have to wait a couple more years to make final conclusions. Regarding Shenzhen I am much more looking forward to Qianhai.
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #192
Pansori
planquadrat

Shenzhen Bay Sports center

The last part of that evening's walk was around Shenzhen Bay Sports Center. It is just 700m away from the previous location but getting there wasn't very easy. The streets that normally should have direct access to the area were closed with construction site fencing and the entire area seemed closed off for public due to massive construction work. So I had to wander around through some bushes and temporary pathways

Kapok Hotel designed by Goettsch Partners, Inc. A new hotel adjacent to the sports center. All of this is part of the wider Shenzhen Bay Development which can also be seen in the first page of this thread. Nearby areas (not part of the same development) are also largely under development or complete very recently (including those highrtise apartments seen in a distance)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Walking around the sports center. Impressive architecture and engineering solutions
image hosted on flickr
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #193
Pansori
planquadrat

Shenzhen Bay Sports Center

Views to the nearby areas from the Sports Center. The entire sports center (which is in fact a stadium with some ajecent facilities) is surrounded by elevated pedestrian platform which is vast and provides good viewing positions for the nearby areas giving a decent vantage point
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

That roof construction is pretty epic
image hosted on flickr
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #194
Pansori
planquadrat

You can't see it in the pictures because they're all taken using long exposure setting (up to 30 sec.) but the main pedestrian public plaza near the Sports Center was very busy despite it being quite late in the evening (around 22.00 hours). People are engaging in all kinds of activities from dancing (yes, dancing) to simply chilling out and drinking or eating. Perhaps not surprising given that it is a rather exceptionally nice modern area with lots of open public space available for anyone to enjoy. Shenzhen as a whole is a very spacious city with lots of large open public spaces (open plazas, parks, waterfronts etc.). It's never a problem to find a nice place to chill out in the evening. The feeling of safety adds to it too. I suppose this is one aspect common to all cities in China - it just feels safe. Very safe. Sure there are crimes like pickpocketing in some areas (especially busy places) but overall I only ever felt safer in Singapore of all places that I have been to
image hosted on flickr

Apartment buildings some distance away
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #195
Pansori
planquadrat

Basketball courts. I have noticed that there are good basketball facilities all over the city near any major residential block. Basketball is surely popular in China. However I wonder what's the situation right now? I mean when Yao Ming has retired? From what I understand China's national team hasn't been shining too brightly in the recent years. Just how is that affecting people's view to basketball? Is there still a view that China can be a major player in international basketball? There sure is potential given the number of poeple in China and facilities that already exist
image hosted on flickr

Pedestrian bridge crossing Binhai Avenue and leading from the Sports Center to the nearby residential area
image hosted on flickr

Last shot from a metro train. Some (newer ones) trains have LCD displays above every door showing route and station information
image hosted on flickr
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #196
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post

Even in this picture after all these buildings completed in the next few years, this does not look nearly as good as Newyork or Shanghai or Guangzhou's CBD. Futian CBD lacks density and height in comparison (a good thing for people working there actually, as Shenzhen is very well planned, but not for the skyline)

However, Shenzhen's strength is not in Futian. Its economy is shifting from Futian CBD towards the West, the waterfront (Houhai for now and in the longer term, Qianhai).

Additionally there are several clusters of smaller business centers forming all along Shennan Rd. (Shenzhen's most important avenue), each going to have their own skyline including a number of 300m+ being the area's landmark. It's all these together that will make a very large and impressive skyline in the next few years, that is among the very best.

Highcliff, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #197
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
For the moment, in my opinion, Futian does not look nearly as good either on the street level or in the skyline as Guangzhou Zhujiang New Town. But I guess we'll have to wait a couple more years to make final conclusions. Regarding Shenzhen I am much more looking forward to Qianhai.

IMHO Futian looks disappointing for Shenzhen. Height and floor area ratio restrictions had been quite strict from the beginning on the drawing board.

Qianhai is a bit far away, Houhai and the High-tech Industrial Park, both in Nanshan district, looks very promising to watch in the near term.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #198
Pansori
planquadrat

I think when defining a 'best' CBD we should not only talk of skyline but street level too. This is, in fact, the most important aspect of it.

Take Shanghai Pudong for instance. It is arguably the best looking skyline in China but as soon as you actually step on the ground you realize that there simply can be no comparison with Guangzhou CBD. Or even Futian (which also falls below Guangzhou in that measure).

Like I said, for the time being I see no close rival for Guangzhou's Zhujiang New Town. Even if not for skyline (although it is rather striking, especially from some angles) then for street level it wins against anything hands down.
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #199
blakexu

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post

yep, when people see that in 2016, they will agree me..-_-
blakexu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #200
bozenBDJ