daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #21
HKG

Likes (Received): 3499

Please be awear of sunburn!

Highcliff liked this post
HKG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #22
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Best city worldwide! I will be certainly moving here in my future. It's got everything: nature, city, dense urban villages, wide modern avenues, supertalls and megatalls rising like never before, amazing mountains, beaches, green as ****, extremely safe, and despite being already so developed, is still growing at an unprecedented rate in human history! I can't wait to see what Shenzhen will come up with in the next 20 years!
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #23
yubnub

Likes (Received): 448

Excellent thread, very eye opening. I visit Hong Kong every 2-3 years and your pictures have encouraged me to put Shenzen on my list of places to go (although I might wait until that super skyscraper is finished first)

Love all the greenary and clear skies but many of the shots seem deserted of life and people. For such a massive city is has a ghost town like ambience (which is actually appealling as I like to take photos without people and cars as well)
yubnub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #24
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubnub View Post
Excellent thread, very eye opening. I visit Hong Kong every 2-3 years and your pictures have encouraged me to put Shenzen on my list of places to go (although I might wait until that super skyscraper is finished first)

Love all the greenary and clear skies but many of the shots seem deserted of life and people. For such a massive city is has a ghost town like ambience (which is actually appealling as I like to take photos without people and cars as well)
Thanks!

Yes, Shenzhen is worth visiting at the very least. At this time I prioritize over Hong Kong. In fact, I only stayed for one night in Hong Kong this time but spent nearly a week in Shenzhen and didn't manage to see everything that I had on my list. It's a fascinating city.

As for those 'deserted' shots, well, it's all one big development zone which is at Shenzhen Bay. So in effect I was just walking around one big construction area.

This is how it looked back in 2003. Yep, there was ocean
image hosted on flickr

And in 2013
image hosted on flickr

As you can see not only the entire area measuring 4km x 1.5km is being built as we speak but only in 2003 it actually was in the ocean where I was walking and taking those pictures! Crazy stuff.

In general, however, Shenzhen is quite busy. Very busy in places.
Pansori está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #25
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

Shenzen looks extremely green indeed. They get a big plus for urban landscaping. But it doesn't look like a city built for pedestrians, at all. Yes, pictures above show some very pleasant walkways along streets but also a serious lack of attractive possibilities of crossing the usually very big streets. And for being attractive for pedestrians also the distances must be short enough (in combination with PT at least)

What I would be interested in is if Shenzen also has some pedestrian scale neighborhoods, not disected by almost highway like roads at every superblock. It might have, so how do these look like?

And last but not least, I would love to see more pictures of already fully developed parts of the city, and real city life.
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #26
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Shenzen looks extremely green indeed. They get a big plus for urban landscaping. But it doesn't look like a city built for pedestrians, at all. Yes, pictures above show some very pleasant walkways along streets but also a serious lack of attractive possibilities of crossing the usually very big streets.
I think we had this discussion numerous times by now and what we define as 'pedestrian friendly'. This is an ideological matter which is probably pointless to argue about just like it is pointless to argue whether Jesus is a cooler guy than the Holy Prophet Mohammad. From my point of view Shenzhen is one of the most pedestrian friendly cities that I have been to. I walked ~100km in Shenzhen during my stay and it was one of the best walking experiences ever. It is incredibly easy to navigate and understand the street network and urban patterns. No city of comparable size can even remotely match that, IMO.

Quote:
What I would be interested in is if Shenzen also has some pedestrian scale neighborhoods, not disected by almost highway like roads at every superblock. It might have, so how do these look like?
I have something what fits your idea of 'pedestrian scale neighborhoods' and I do like them too. In fact, I was staying in one. Such neighborhoods are charming and lovely despite being more of an attraction and eye candy than part of the actual functional urban fabric. I'm talking of OCT here, of course. But that will be a little later because, as I have mentioned, I will just go by chronological order of what I have observed.

Quote:
And last but not least, I would love to see more pictures of already fully developed parts of the city, and real city life.
That is Luohu I suppose. It will be at some point too. The 'original' Shenzhen of the 80's and 90's. It's heritage by now. I wonder if they have some laws on protection of such historical areas.

Last edited by Pansori; August 11th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #27
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

Great. I mean those epic pictures of new developments look fascinating but there is nothing like pictures of bustling street life rather than road pictures where everything seems to be miles away. These are just my preferences, I know that not every city has to look like how I like cities to look like. I am not mad enough to believe that the whole world is circling around my ideas

PS:
Its quite possible that I simply can't imagine how a city like Shenzen might feel like as I have never been to anything remotely similar. The only huge city without a big historical centre I have ever been to is Los Angeles. And I am pretty sure LA is nothing like Shenzen.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; August 11th, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #28
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Great. but there is nothing like pictures of bustling street life
To an extent I do like it too. There are some extremely busy places in SZ. However when walking in there I was mostly concentrating on making sure that my belongings (especially cash and passport) are safe from pickpockets and was thinking about how to get the hell out of there asap because I hate crowded places.

Quote:
PS:
Its quite possible that I simply can't imagine how a city like Shenzen might feel like as I have never been to anything remotely similar. The only huge city without a big historical centre I have ever been to is Los Angeles. And I am pretty sure LA is nothing like Shenzen.
I will post some photos from a number of different places including the original center in Luohu, more recent center of Futian, a post-industrial loft area of OCT and ultra-modern areas like one around Poly Theatre and some random bits from here and there. So I hope it will give at least a decent impression what Shenzhen looks like on the street level.
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #29
Pansori
planquadrat

The following are views from Danan Mountain located in Nanshan district.

Danan Mountain is an excellent hike and good viewing point.

Residential areas
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #30
Pansori
planquadrat

Shenzhen Bay Sports Center is one of the recent additions to Shenzhen urban landscape. Designed by AXS SATOW it is an epic piece of contemporary architecture
image hosted on flickr

Expressway bridge connecting Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Buildings in the far distance are in Hong Kong while foreground is part of Shenzhen
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #31
Pansori
planquadrat

A new expressway (it's not on the map yet). It crosses part of the Qianhai Bay which will be the epicenter of the Qianhai Water City development
image hosted on flickr

Nearby areas
image hosted on flickr

New apartments
image hosted on flickr
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #32
Pansori
planquadrat

Apartments far away
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Part of what will become Qianhai Water City
image hosted on flickr

I'm sure those who follow China and Shenzhen development are well aware of Qianhai bay development. Those who have no idea what I'm talking about may want to watch the following videos which provide all relevant background on what will probably be world's largest and most innovative large-scale urban development

Brief summary of Qianhai Water City

Full presentation

Aerial and street-level visual showcase
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #33
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1019

The hot weather almost makes SZ a ghost town.

Thanks for the photos...

Highcliff liked this post
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #34
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Part of what will become Qianhai Water City
image hosted on flickr

I'm sure those who follow China and Shenzhen development are well aware of Qianhai bay development. Those who have no idea what I'm talking about may want to watch the following videos which provide all relevant background on what will probably be world's largest and most innovative large-scale urban development

Brief summary of Qianhai Water City

Full presentation

Aerial and street-level visual showcase
Boy that was large .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #35
Pansori
planquadrat

Next installment of pictures from Danan Mountain

Ship movement seen from Danan Mountain
image hosted on flickr

Inner ring which continues on to cross Qianhai Bay and will become the main controlled access road to connect Qianhai to other parts of the PRD
image hosted on flickr

Residentials of all shapes and sizes
image hosted on flickr
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #36
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Heung Kong Tower construction
image hosted on flickr
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #37
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

deleted
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #38
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Next installment of pictures from Danan Mountain

Ship movement seen from Danan Mountain
image hosted on flickr

Inner ring which continues on to cross Qianhai Bay and will become the main controlled access road to connect Qianhai to other parts of the PRD
image hosted on flickr

Residentials of all shapes and sizes
image hosted on flickr
And so much laundry put up outside
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #39
Pansori
planquadrat

Highrise apartments all over the place. Shenzhen feels much more of a highrise city than anything else that I have seen (maybe with an exception of Hong Kong in a way?). We are used to seeing some wicked skyline shots of Shanghai's Pudong or other prominent locations and so create an impression of an enormous skyscrapercity supposedly dominated by skyscrapers and highrises all over. However the feeling may be a little different on a random place at the street level.

In this respect Shenzhen feels far, far more of a highrise city than Shanghai or any other city which I have been to. My guess is that this is simply because Shenzhen from the very beginning was dominated by highrises and there was hardly any heritage to be preserved or simply other buildings at all. So planners had free hands to build tall from the very beginning. At the same time Shenzhen feels spacious and has excellent landscaping and public spaces. Again, probably better than any other big city in China

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #40
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Makes me feel desperately want to visit Shenzhen .