daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #41
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
Makes me feel desperately want to visit Shenzhen .
If you haven't done so yet I would very highly suggest to do so. Shenzhen is an absolutely amazing city. It may not be as well known as Shanghai or Beijing to foreigners (I'm talking about Europe. Not sure how it is in Indonesia and rest of Asia) but personally I find it to be the most interesting and exciting city in China for either visiting or, if I ever had a chance, living. Of course it probably depends what your priorities are and what you're looking for in a city. For instance Shenzhen certainly doesn't have much of the old stuff or heritage due to obvious reasons. But I certainly can do without that.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #42
Pansori
planquadrat

Heung Kong Tower construction with hills in the background. Shenzhen has beautiful hilly landscape. Some of those hills (including Danan Mountain from which this view was taken) are made into public parks with hiking trails or road access
image hosted on flickr

Area around Poly Theatre (I'm sure this development has some name but I'm not aware of it). I'm also not sure what else is going to get built there. It is a very beautiful location to which I will get a little later for some street-level overview
image hosted on flickr

Intersection which we've passed in one of the earlier street-level pictures
image hosted on flickr
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #43
Pansori
planquadrat

At this point it was time to have a look at the skyline. Danan Mountain provides a very decent spot for overviewing the main skyline. From there the separate skyscraper clusters of Chegongmiao Station, Futian and Luohu seem to 'merge' into one skyline pretty nicely. Of course this is still very much a skyline in progress despite already having 4 supertalls. There are perhaps another 8 or so supertalls U/C somewhere along that picture including the 600+ m Ping An Center. Shenzhen is by far the baddest city in China when it comes to supertall construction

image hosted on flickr

This isn't exactly similar to any of the previous photos but once already coming down from the mountain I noticed the stairs going up and despite being tired as f**k I had to try and see where those steps go. I didn't make it to the top again but there are some good views along the way
image hosted on flickr

One of the avenues that will act as 'rings' of the Qianhai Water City development
image hosted on flickr

On the left side Qianhai Water City development is taking place
image hosted on flickr
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #44
Pansori
planquadrat

A few more skyline views while finishing with Danan Mountain

image hosted on flickr

At the present the tallest skyscraper in Shenzhen is Kingkey 100 which is 442 meters and 100 floors high
image hosted on flickr

Wider angle of the same view. The main skyline is on the right somewhere far away. The distance from the photo location to Kingkey 100 tower is approximately 20km which is pretty far. I don't know if it's just me but Shenzhen can create an impression that it's not very big and getting from place to place is fast and easy. Looking at the map somewhat confirms that. It is fairly easy indeed (navigation cannot get any easier than it gets in Shenzhen. You will never need a map) but not necessarily fast. Distances can be huge and it simply may take time to get from one place to another. Like getting from Danan Mountain to Kingkey 100 which is 20km away if drawing a straight line. It's when travelling to different places in the city I realized how HUGE Shenzhen really is. And yet it has to be said that travelling in Shenzhen is excellent. Navigation is incredibly simple and fast given the distances due to simple street network and metro which is being expanded at a rapid pace with 6 new lines opening over the next few years
image hosted on flickr

After this we'll be going down and explore some other locations in this vast city.
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #45
JustHorace
Couch Weight

Likes (Received): 573

Surreal! Indeed a lot has changed since my first visit in 2001! Back then, although the city was already teeming with skyscrapers and highways, some parts felt as gritty as say Saigon. Now I couldn't even find Shuh Hing in any of your panorama photos! That tower used to be my point of reference.

Pansori, Highcliff liked this post
JustHorace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #46
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8253

Epic stuff.

Highcliff liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #47
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHorace View Post
Surreal! Indeed a lot has changed since my first visit in 2001! Back then, although the city was already teeming with skyscrapers and highways, some parts felt as gritty as say Saigon. Now I couldn't even find Shuh Hing in any of your panorama photos! That tower used to be my point of reference.
In Shenzhen terms 2001 is like late middle ages.
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #48
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Likes (Received): 126

It looks pretty empty for such a large city
diskojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #49
Pansori
planquadrat

The following photos were taken on the way from Danan Mountain to my hood where I was living during my time in SZ. After climbing that hill I was so tired that at one point I was thinking only about how to successfully get to the metro station because I felt like I was about to die. I was THAT exhausted. But thankfully after a while I started regaining my strength and carried on with taking some photos along the way which was what I came to Shenzhen in the first place

Back to Houhaibin Road looking for the nearest metro station I see this police car parked on the pedestrian pavement. Looks a little odd
image hosted on flickr

Only after observing it from nearby I figured out that it was a dummy car. Not really dummy per se because it was a real car and even the police lights were blinking . The I spotted some cables connected from the outside which, I guess, were powering the lights. It really looked... weird. It's one of those 'WTF' moments I guess
image hosted on flickr

F**k that police car because I really needed to get to the goddamn metro station because I was dying. On my way another picture of Houhaibin Road pedestrian part
image hosted on flickr

New housing and finally the metro station (Dengliang station) entrance to which is on the left. This is how most metro station entrances look like in Shenzhen. I like how they keep it standardized
image hosted on flickr
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #50
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
It looks pretty empty for such a large city
Something that was an ocean 10 years ago, I would say looks pretty damn good from an urban perspective.
To a more serious note Shenzhen is rather busy overall. I wouldn't want it more busy than it is. Perhaps I would prefer it to be less busy than what it is now. Mind you, all of the photos so far have been taken in what is a newly developed/developing area on a hot and sunny summer day which means the streets are going to be rather empty.

Last edited by Pansori; August 13th, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #51
Pansori
planquadrat

Dengliang station. It's hard to describe the feeling when being completely exhausted, tired and sweating like a pig (remember it's +33C or so in those pictures) you get into an air-conditioned environment. It just feels soooo damn good. That's how it feels in this picture
image hosted on flickr

Dengliang Station which serves the Shekou Line which opened in late 2010
image hosted on flickr

All (?) stations in Shenzhen have platform screen doors and monitors showing platform information as well as ads (with sound)
image hosted on flickr

Blue LED lights with platform screen doors. Not sure what's the practical purpose of it but it looks pretty cool
image hosted on flickr
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #52
Pansori
planquadrat

I will continue from my last post at Dengliang station from where the metro took me to OCT

First a map showing places that I was talking about. Just to give a better idea for those who are map-friendly. Qianhai and Shenzhen Bay were visible from various angles seen from Danan Mountain. I also market OCT which is in the following few pictures
image hosted on flickr

The Overseas Chinese Town (=OCT) is a converted post-industrial area. It's a fairly large place with a rather unusually chaotic street network and somewhat unique urban ecosystem in Shenzhen. To me the most interesting part of OCT is OCT-LOFT zone which has been made into an art and restaurant zone which uses former factories and other industrial buildings. This is where my hostel was located too. To me at least this is one of the nicest parts of Shenzhen and it was no coincidence that I chose to stay there while visiting the city

OCT has a lot of that bohemian feeling which despite being a little fake and artificial actually feels very nice and genuine. The gritty and unrestored (or at least looking so) facades of former factories help to create relevant feel to the area. What I also like about the place is that it seems to have a very good mix of people: ordinary local residents who are not necessarily very rich, evening crowd with expensive cars and clothes, artsy types of all sorts and foreign tourists from young backpackers to business travellers looking for a different retreat in a bustling city. It's like an oasis of urban peace and village-like calm in an otherwise hectic and big metropolis.

Shenzhen doesn't lack greenery but OCT area is especially green. It feels like walking in a tunnel of trees. It helps with shade too on sunny days
image hosted on flickr

A man taking care of the decorative hedge
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 14th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #53
Pansori
planquadrat

A typical street sight in OCT. Can't say there are many architectural marvels but this is not what OCT is all about. It's about activities, contemporary art galleries, special crowd, urban ambience and the character of the place of which there is probably more than in most other locations of this vast city which has been changing like crazy for a few decades now. OCT may be one of those places which won't change too much and which at some point in the future could be a 'protected historical area'. Even now it looks like stuck in time (somewhere in the 80's perhaps) in places

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

But wait for the evening and OCT LOFT gets crowded by those who are less visible there during the day. Many of them seem to have pockets (and cars) of decent sizes too. The affluent urban residents of Shenzhen seem to like OCT as a new trendy hanging out spot for their evening activities
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I'll be back to OCT later.
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #54
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

thank you for your work...pansori...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #55
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
The following photos were taken on the way from Danan Mountain to my hood where I was living during my time in SZ. After climbing that hill I was so tired that at one point I was thinking only about how to successfully get to the metro station because I felt like I was about to die. I was THAT exhausted. But thankfully after a while I started regaining my strength and carried on with taking some photos along the way which was what I came to Shenzhen in the first place

Back to Houhaibin Road looking for the nearest metro station I see this police car parked on the pedestrian pavement. Looks a little odd
image hosted on flickr

Only after observing it from nearby I figured out that it was a dummy car. Not really dummy per se because it was a real car and even the police lights were blinking . The I spotted some cables connected from the outside which, I guess, were powering the lights. It really looked... weird. It's one of those 'WTF' moments I guess
image hosted on flickr

F**k that police car because I really needed to get to the goddamn metro station because I was dying. On my way another picture of Houhaibin Road pedestrian part
image hosted on flickr

New housing and finally the metro station (Dengliang station) entrance to which is on the left. This is how most metro station entrances look like in Shenzhen. I like how they keep it standardized
image hosted on flickr

The story is a couple of years ago a young resident (maybe student) in Shenzhen had an idea to establish police presence and warn potential pickpockets across the city, without costing a large number of policemen patrolling the streets. His proposal was accepted and implemented by the police in Shenzhen to reduce crime rate.

It started with police lights installed on a large number of bicycles and parked in certain places, you can see them here and there in Shenzhen, sometimes with a real policeman nearby. They are quite noticeable in the evenings, so I think they do work to some extent. However I have not personally seen a dummy police car like in your photo, new to me too

TowerVerre:) liked this post
williamhou2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #56
Pansori
planquadrat

True, I did see lots of police bicycles with lights and indeed often with a real policeman nearby. Although most of them seemed very bored.
I said that back in 2011 and say it again that Shenzhen feels very safe. I think this applies to China in general because not even for a moment no matter where, at what time and in what condition I never felt unsafe let alone threatened. And I certainly couldn't say that about all countries or cities that I have visited. Pickpockets may be another story though. But that can be prevented by simply taking care of your stuff.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #57
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

I can only speak for Shenzhen as I have lived there many years. Yeah violent crime is very rare (never seen and nearly unheard of), but pickpocket has been a well known problem in busy places in the old Shenzhen, especially in parts of the old and crowded Luohu district near Hong Kong (i.e. the area around Luohu Commercial Center/Shenzhen railway station).

You've done homework before going and visited the interesting places. Unfortunately many visitors would only visit Luohu Commecial Center (often as part of a trip to Hong Kong or for shopping counterfeit products), arguably the most unsafe place in the city. I would advise anyone to stay away from that area and you will feel Shenzhen is very safe.

Last edited by williamhou2005; August 17th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #58
Pansori
planquadrat

Yes, that was one place I felt a little irritated. Although I have to say I don't like busy places in general no matter where they are.

I always follow one rule, no matter where I go: always make sure that my passport and money/bank cards are safe i.e. usually a money belt that I can feel 100% of the time with my body. That has worked so far. If someone comes to another country and carries their money and documents in a back pocket or a carrier bag then can't blame anyone but themselves.
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #59
Pansori
planquadrat

Chegongmiao Station

The next stop is the iconic skyscraper cluster around Chegongmiao Station on Shennan Avenue in Futian district. Most would recognize the place from the China Merchants Bank Tower which until recently was dominating the cluster

Map
image hosted on flickr

Shennan Avenue surrounded by skyscrapers
image hosted on flickr

China Merchants Bank Tower on the right
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Street level
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; August 17th, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old August 17th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #60
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
A typical street sight in OCT. Can't say there are many architectural marvels but this is not what OCT is all about. It's about activities, contemporary art galleries, special crowd, urban ambience and the character of the place of which there is probably more than in most other locations of this vast city which has been changing like crazy for a few decades now. OCT may be one of those places which won't change too much and which at some point in the future could be a 'protected historical area'. Even now it looks like stuck in time (somewhere in the 80's perhaps) in places

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

But wait for the evening and OCT LOFT gets crowded by those who are less visible there during the day. Many of them seem to have pockets (and cars) of decent sizes too. The affluent urban residents of Shenzhen seem to like OCT as a new trendy hanging out spot for their evening activities
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I'll be back to OCT later.

You are quite right about OCT, "an oasis of urban peace". It is among the most desirable places for living in Shenzhen, along with Honey Lake (Xiangmi Hu in Chinese). Current price for a detached house in OCT Portofino is quite high at about RMB 150 million, or GBP 15 million.

However this oasis will no longer be "supertall free" in a few years time.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1582997

Last edited by williamhou2005; August 17th, 2013 at 01:22 AM.