daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #61
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
This is Huangpu Dadao village - check out the density

Xian village - currently mounting a spirited campaign to survive but doubtful how long it will last
as you mentioned that issue ,let me introduce Village Reconstruction Projects in Guangzhou and Shenzhen CBDs

冼村(xian village)Total resident population 40,255,

Project Planning:

Demolition started

On 05 13 2013,the first phase of the Move back room project has started at the southeast corner of Xian village

http://news.hexun.com/2013-05-16/154170431.html

Last edited by teresabaixue; August 25th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
teresabaixue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #62
teresabaixue

Gangxia village
GangXia village is located in Shenzhen's Futian District, Southeast Area Villages.GangXia has a total population of about 68,000, of which 900 people resident villagers, temporary population of about 67,000. Available land for construction area of ​​151,600 square meters, the net volume rate of 3.4. The main total constructionarea of ​​514,000 square meters, 590 buildings.

Project Planning:

look at this video,you will learn more
http://www.56.com/u87/v_NzI0MDk1NTY.html

look at this thread to learn project progress:
SHENZHEN | Gemdale Gangxia Tower | 380m | 1247ft | 180m | 591ft | U/C :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1505398&page=8

Last edited by teresabaixue; August 25th, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #63
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12188

Amazing, MattSal! Must have entailed a lot of work!
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #64
teresabaixue

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Perhaps Guangzhou can hold on to those 'villages' rather than emulating less than ideal practices seen elsewhere.
Zhujiang new city CBD is located in the eastern suburbs of Guangzhou,

As the city's rapid development,villages became city villages,villagers extended their houses for rent. Here flooded with unapproved construction projects,crime,floating population.The culture of such villages can not represent the local culture and customs in Guangzhou.

Guangzhou has planned 52 villages reconstruction projects
http://gz.house.163.com/10/0117/08/5...000873C6D.html

Shenzhen has 25 villages reconstruction projects
http://gz.house.163.com/09/1113/10/5...000873C6D.html
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #65
saiho

Likes (Received): 1206

Quote:
Posting a flood of photos showing that vibrant streets do exist doesn't negate one little bit that this area is vastly lacking when it comes to that. The issue is the area that you featured. That streets packed with stalls are to be found a 30 minute walk away is little consolation if you're standing on this stretch below:
Well you forgot the part about the Guangzhou CBD central axis park being a roof for an underground mall...
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #66
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Well you forgot the part about the CBD central park being a roof for an underground mall...
So you have to go underground to find anything? That for me is a major FAIL; people are not gerbils. I'll remember to skip this area of Guangzhou if I ever visit.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #67
saiho

Quote:
So you have to go underground to find anything? That for me is a major FAIL; people are not gerbils. I'll remember to skip this area of Guangzhou if I ever visit.
I don't see it as a fail because its not like the entire city is like that. The city's should be designed for everyone. If you want your "human scale" and pedestrian friendly developments then go to Yuexiu or Haizhu District. If your just a regular guy working in an office in a CBD I think it doesn't matter if your amenities are right on King St or in the PATH, if they are there then they are there. Also in south China there is a saying called 過冷河 which means you purposely go through air conditioned corridors/skywalks/ buildings and... underground malls to beat the summer heat while getting to where you are going. In dense concrete jungle Asian cities that is not hard to do. If you ever been to Guangzhou there are times of the day where you don't want to be outside. People are not gerbils but like gerbils will still be very uncomfortable in +35 degree temperatures, with 85% humidity and a UV index of 12.

Last edited by saiho; August 30th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #68
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresabaixue View Post
At street level Shenzhen's pretty cool too
all pictures from gaoloumi.com

I'm pleasantly surprised, it actually looks like quite a nice place to take walks. The sidewalks feel open and inviting.

bozenBDJ, TowerVerre:) liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #69
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I don't see it as a fail because its not like the entire city is like that. The city's should be designed for everyone.

Also in south China there is a saying called 過冷河 which means you purposely go through air conditioned corridors/skywalks/ buildings and... underground malls to beat the summer heat while getting to where you are going.
That's fine, but it's certainly not an area I'd spend any time in whatsoever. Btw, the only areas here where I consider PATH acceptable is where the duplicate is to be found at street level otherwise the street ends up barren except for people trying to get some place else. We also have extreme weather here, but street level amenities should always be an option.

Quote:
If your just a regular guy working in an office in a CBD I think it doesn't matter if your amenities are right on King St or in the PATH, if they are there then they are there.
I've worked off King Street, and it does matter. I don't want to go down into some sterile underground mall to find people or a sandwich. You end up living like some cave dweller. It totally sucks.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; August 30th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #70
saiho

Quote:
That's fine, but it's certainly not an area I'd spend any time in whatsoever. Btw, the only areas here where I consider PATH acceptable is where the duplicate is to be found at street level otherwise the street ends up barren except for people trying to get some place else. We also have extreme weather here, but street level amenities should always be an option.
Toronto does not have weather comparable to south China. In Toronto most of spring, fall and parts of winter and summer are extremely pleasant to go outside and have a coffee. It doesn't rain as hard and as often and hurricanes are rare in Toronto. I guess these differences are reflected on where people want to go.

Quote:
I've worked off King Street, and it does matter. I don't want to go down into some sterile underground mall to find people or a sandwich. You end up living like some cave dweller. It totally sucks.
I live in downtown Toronto and like most people I don't care if the store is above ground or below ground. Also like I said before its not like the Tianhe CBD doesn't have these things:

Source

Plus who said you have to go into the underground mall to meet people? remember the park? That's something the Financial District doesn't have.

Source

The mall and the park is extremely integrated there are numerous sunken plazas that connect the mall to the park. The surface to underground dynamic is very different compared to the PATH.
\

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised, it actually looks like quite a nice place to take walks. The sidewalks feel open and inviting.
China is a very different place when viewed from the ground as opposed to google earth.

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by saiho; August 30th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #71
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I live in downtown Toronto and like most people I don't care if the store is above ground or below ground.
You don't know that. Did you take a poll? People don't have a choice so there's not much point in them complaining about it. That doesn't mean they don't care.

Old September 15th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #72
Mornnb

Likes (Received): 3512

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
I think at Street level European and American cities take the crown...
And Australian, we're often forgotten down here. Lets just say 'new world' and include it as a block with Australia, Canada and America.
Here's Sydney, my own photos.

image hosted on flickr

Sydney skyline by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_MG_4927.jpg by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_MG_4339 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7955 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sydney skyline _MG_3221 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sydney from North Head untitled shoot-9510 by mornnb, on Flickr

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Mornnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #73
Mornnb

Likes (Received): 3512

At the street level:

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1422 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1468 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_MG_2108 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7272 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_MG_2136 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0890 by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Look right by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

_MG_8862.jpg by mornnb, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sydney Street_MG_0291 by mornnb, on Flickr

TowerVerre:), KlausDiggy liked this post
Mornnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #74
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2635

the ironic is kuala lumpur in top 10 lol
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #75
saiho

Quote:
You don't know that. Did you take a poll? People don't have a choice so there's not much point in them complaining about it. That doesn't mean they don't care.
right back at you, both points moot. Also as I have shown earlier there is a choice, if there isn't they will eventually make some just like Lujiazui in shanghai. Look at West Shinjuku, it used to be like Chinese CBDs and it eventually intensified and improved.

The point is no one can plan out a city "properly" from scratch. When you start from scratch your design will Always, Always polarize everyone's thoughts on it. The reason is on a clean slate the planners values and bias about how a city works clearly shows in every design decision he/she makes. Like I said before a city is for everyone and a planner is just one or a small subset of opinions. A good urban area is well planned but also need to have time for the city to organically change it to suit its needs.

Most American and European urban projects today are brownfield/infill projects that have huge constraints put on the planners, forcing them to design via context. Its "easy" to do "good" urban design. Is there any context to refer to when designing for on a blank slate? Also, Chinese CBDs can easily fix themselves up as easily as they put themselves up.

Every greenfield mega development will not be ideal in a planning perspective from its first year of completion or even its 5th but what about it's 20th? When everyone has moved in, offices filled and everyone starts experiencing the design and giving feedback? Based on everything you know about cities do you really think its going to stay permanently that way? If it doesn't change then could it be that it is what the city truly wants?

the spliff fairy liked this post

Last edited by saiho; September 16th, 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #76
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
right back at you, both points moot. Also as I have shown earlier there is a choice, if there isn't they will eventually make some just like Lujiazui in shanghai.
Actually in Toronto's CBD there is no choice. It's underground or not at all. There is next to no street life in this part of the city except when people are arriving or leaving. There is no other reason for being on the street because there's nothing there.

As a CBD residential population arises steps are being taken to address that shortcoming because people don't want to live like moles 24/7.

Old September 16th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #77
saiho

Quote:

Actually in Toronto's CBD there is no choice. It's underground or not at all. There is next to no street life in this part of the city except when people are arriving or leaving. There is no other reason for being on the street because there's nothing there.

As a CBD residential population arises steps are being taken to address that shortcoming because people don't want to live like moles 24/7.
I know but once you go north of queen and south of lakeshore everything gets better in terms of all day activity. That being said every city will have its less optimal dead zones. The financial district is what it is, a financial district, nothing more nothing less. The only city I can think that is busy all day everyday in most places is hong kong but that is an extreme case with really high densities and tons of land use mixing.

Last edited by saiho; September 16th, 2013 at 05:12 PM.