daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16168

MISC | Airport E-Gates/ABC

Thread about all those self service passport controls at airports.

Do you have them in your country?
Have you ever used them?
Who can use them?
Are they widely used or are they a gimmick/sloppy/always turned off?
What are the future plans?

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Belgrade Airport installed the Mühlbauer gates in 2010.

I can't say that I have used them for two reasons, one is that they require a more recent passport with fingerprints which were omitted in initial series and secondly because they are always turned off. There don't seem to be any available rules on who can use them, perhaps this is the reason why they are turned off, as there is no legal basis. Also there are no plans published for the future development.

Iggis, patel2897 liked this post
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 987

Here's Smartgate which we have in the major Australian airports:

However, it's only available to Australian & New Zealand e-passport holders. And they are only available inbound. I like them, they save so much time!

Singidunum liked this post
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 676

In Moldova we have the same gate as installed in Serbia
our former PM on opwning ceremony

but they are now in repairs after some "gentelmen" broke them

AlexisMD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Since 2008 there is the Privium Iris-scan introduced for frequent flyers.

In 2012 Schiphol introduced the Self-Service Passport Control for EU residents. Currently there are 3 Self-Service Passport Controls at Schiphol.

Swedish Eurocommisionar Malstöm visit Schiphol new Self-Service Passport Control. (English)

The gates are very convenient. No need for a pre-check at a kiosk or to have a entree-ticket. EU-passengers only have to walk with a EU-passport to the gates.

Last edited by Mr_Dru; August 27th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #6
novian

Likes (Received): 132

Jakarta

Singidunum, fieldsofdreams liked this post
novian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #7
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

The US has the Global Entry Program which allows pre-approved, low-risk travelers to use automated kiosks for immigration/customs control. Members of NEXUS (used for expedited crossings to Canada/US) and SENTRI (for expedited US/Mexico crossings) are also entitled to use the Global Entry kiosks. These kiosks are found at pretty much any major US/Canadian airport.

http://www.globalentry.gov/

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #8
MarquitaMatthew

Likes (Received): 6

Airport e-gates are really convenient ways of entering into an airport with no hassle. In fact, when you are late then you can easily run to board a plane.

A11 LJUBLJANA liked this post
MarquitaMatthew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #9
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

The American system seems very limited, but the one at Schiphol seems to be more serious with many gates and as the EU passengers probably are the majority of passengers there it certainly alleviates the queue lines in general. For as long as they are turned on all the time.

Old August 31st, 2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

The document by the EU border agency Frontex lists operational and planned automated border control systems within the EU as of August 2012 as well as plenty of useful information regarding these systems. http://www.frontex.europa.eu/assets/...er_Control.pdf

Here are some details regarding the operational systems:

Germany - EasyPASS - Terminal 1 of Frankfurt/ MainAirport; installation of four e-Gates and one monitoring and control station - regular since 2010.

Spain - ABC system - Madrid-Barajas, Terminals 1 and 4. Barcelona - El Prat, Terminals 1 and 2. - regular since 2011.

Finland - ABC lines - The system is available at Helsinki - Vantaa Airport and Vaalimaa land BCP. There are now ten e-Gates at the airport for departing passengers in non-Shengen Terminal. Ten additional e-Gates are available for arriving travellers at the exit/transfer side in Terminal 2. Five e-Gates are located at Vaalimaa BCP. - regular since 2009.

France - PARAFE - The system is available at Orly and Paris-Charles-de-Gaulle Airports. - operational since 2009.

Netherlands - No-Q - The system is available at Schipol International Airport–initially at arrivals (from the kick-off date) and then also at departures. There are plans to install the system at transfers later on. - live since 2012.

Norway - ePassport Gates - Arrivals at Oslo Gardermoen Airport (OSL). - live since 2012.

Portugal - RAPID - All international airports. Seaports installations have been discontinued. - regular since 2007.

United Kingdom - ePassport Gates - The system is available at arrivals in the following airports: Bristol, Birmingham Terminals 1 and 2, Cardiff, East Midlands, Gatwick North, Gatwick South, Heathrow at all 4 terminals, Manchester Terminals 1 and 2. The total number of e-Gates which have been installed amounts to 15.

And planned systems:

Austria - Vienna International Airport, 1 Pilot System - Pilot phase planned October 2012 until August 2013.

Belgium - Brussels National Airport - Project launched on June 2011.

Czech Republic - EasyGo system. In a pilot phase. Prague-Ruzyne Airport (only one e-Gate initially). The installation was completed on 21 November 2011.

Denmark - Project launched in October 2011. Currently in the research phase.

Estonia - Tallinn Airport (two e-Gates at entry and two at exit, accompanied by three kiosks each). The project was launched in January 2011 and the procurement process will start in 2012.

Hungary - Budapest international Airport. Currently in the planning phase. Planned go-live 2013.

Latvia - Riga International Airport (two e-Gates at the transit zone). Pilot planned. Mid-2014.

Romania - International Airport Henri Coanda, Bucharest (1 e-Gate at entry and another at exit). Pre-acquisition phase.

AlexisMD, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Germany

Spain

France

Portugal

United Kingdom

Old August 31st, 2013, 06:41 AM   #12
OriK
Usuario Registrado

Likes (Received): 173

Having to pre-register for using the French system seems very unconfortable to me...

The Spanish one seems the only one which also accepts ID cards in adition to e-Passports... but I wonder if they accept only Spanish ID cards or it also accepts EU ID cards... (it accepts any EU e-Passport)

AFAIK if you are manually checked you can pass the border with your EU ID card in the whole EU+Schengen area... I think that the automatic machines should accept them if they are electronic... it's not a big issue because in most cases you will be coming from a destination that requires your passport, but that's not always the case.

For example, when traveling from/to the UK to/from another EU country you don't need a passport... the same applies when traveling from/to Marocco as them don't require a passport to EU citizens.
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

All systems for the time being are limited to EU/EEA/CH citizens who are over 18 and using biometric passports. There are some other documents that can be used in Germany German e-ID card, in Spain Spanish e-ID card, in France Third Country Nationals who are family members of EU citizens can also use the system and there are plans to support also French IDs. Other mentioned countries limit the system to passports only.

I guess in the future if the systems on-trial prove to be successful the EU will proceed with more e-gates on land crossings and if the planned electronic approval system for all foreign travelers is implemented then I suppose the gates will be open for all passengers.

And I agree that the French system is quite limited and therefore useless to non-frequent travelers.

Old August 31st, 2013, 03:50 PM   #14
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 886

Kuala Lumpur International Airport

This system can be used for all New Malaysian passports as they have the electronic chip inside

I think most major International airports in Malaysia have them I have personally used it at Penang International and KL International

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:31 AM   #15
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

I'm intrigued why Canada and the United States just use kiosks instead of physical gate barriers. I realise that when NEXUS was introduced (I'm talking about pre-Global Entry days), there were no technologies that supported eGates, but you would think the two countries' would introduce eGate barriers instead.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:39 AM   #16
4seasonscentre

Likes (Received): 1

^
In Canada we don't have biometric passports so someone still needs to verify that the passport picture matches the person.

Even after using the kiosk I am still asked questions like where am I coming from? What am I bringing back?
4seasonscentre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:54 AM   #17
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Well as of July Canada began issuing biometric passports

so it will perhaps be possible to introduce proper e-Gates.

Old September 1st, 2013, 04:01 AM   #18
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I'm intrigued why Canada and the United States just use kiosks instead of physical gate barriers. I realise that when NEXUS was introduced (I'm talking about pre-Global Entry days), there were no technologies that supported eGates, but you would think the two countries' would introduce eGate barriers instead.
Here's just my guess: the kiosks are a low-cost solution to a full physical gate barrier that will help frequent fliers get to their gates easily. Yes, the process may require one person to head to a kiosk on the side of the immigration counters, but, I sense that there is actually a "special path" that fliers navigate to (and by the way, the USCIS actually discusses this with them when they apply for Global Entry) to get to the special kiosks. I hope, though, that a physical barrier system will be in place instead of those kiosks so that everyone gets checked, no matter what happens.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:17 AM   #19
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasonscentre View Post
^
In Canada we don't have biometric passports so someone still needs to verify that the passport picture matches the person.

Even after using the kiosk I am still asked questions like where am I coming from? What am I bringing back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Here's just my guess: the kiosks are a low-cost solution to a full physical gate barrier that will help frequent fliers get to their gates easily. Yes, the process may require one person to head to a kiosk on the side of the immigration counters, but, I sense that there is actually a "special path" that fliers navigate to (and by the way, the USCIS actually discusses this with them when they apply for Global Entry) to get to the special kiosks. I hope, though, that a physical barrier system will be in place instead of those kiosks so that everyone gets checked, no matter what happens.
If you are referring to Global Entry/NEXUS screening, it's just answering the questions on the screen as opposed to filling out the form, and then you proceed to a special queue where you hand over your receipt to a customs officer to do a quick check. And by quick, I do mean quick because the last agent at Atlanta literally waived me across.

Funny enough in Canada, while biometric passports are just introduced, keep in mind NEXUS by Air entry requires an Iris scan. So technically there was technology to introduce gates (and it would make sense because unlike US with Global Entry, one doesn't come to contact with any border agent for another verification and simply goes straight to Baggage Claim).
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:56 AM   #20
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Now that's so quick... But, I think that the European system seems to be better because even though that the system is quicker, you actually go through actual verification before you pass through the gate as in you get to be checked out first before entry. It's like an added measure so that passengers with questionable records will need to go through a secondary check next to those counters. Yes, the machines found at US airports can provide a smoother process, but, I sense that there needs to be a mechanism to reduce system abuse...

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote