daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:23 PM   #21
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post

Air quality in Norwegian cities:
Great you have only one red dot, my country is full of orange and red dots and we don't have mountains. On every pollution map of Europe, Benelux is in the dead center in the most polluted area

Still find it strange it is Bergen that is most polluted. There doesn't seem to be that much industry or anything. Surely cars alone don't pollute that much. Do people burn a lot of wood in stoves in Norway?

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; August 22nd, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10060

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Great you have only one red dot, my country is full of orange and red dots and we don't have mountains. Still find it strange it is Bergen that is most polluted. There doesn't seem to be that much industry or anything. Surely cars alone don't pollute that much. Do people burn a lot of wood in stoves in Norway?
People drive diesel cars and there is lot of driving that has to be done as our cities are very sprawling, and they use a lot of wood for heating. Add colder temperatures (although it does not get that cold in Bergen compared to the rest of the country) and Norwegian topography and you are left recipe for bad air quality despite it being very little land based industry left and small populations compared to elsewhere.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #23
joshsam
JR

I guess the wood burning adds a lot to the pollution. Cars generally don't pollute that much unless in a +10million metropolis maybe. I agree diesel cars add a lot of pollution though. We have the same problem, most people drive diesel.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Fred_

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I guess the wood burning adds a lot to the pollution. Cars generally don't pollute that much unless in a +10million metropolis maybe. I agree diesel cars add a lot of pollution though. We have the same problem, most people drive diesel.
Why do they burn wood in Norway?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_ View Post
Why do they burn wood in Norway?
Tradition I guess. We have lots of wood and lots of colderness and someone come up with an idea to combine the two. We have recently started to develop district heating systems though in order to get cleaner air.

Fred_, vigiliant, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #26
joshsam
JR

Quite a lot of people like to burn wood in Belgium also and many people have a modern fire place behind glass in their living room. It's nice and cozy in winter when it freezes outside. You just can't take that away from people during long cold winters

Modern computer controlled pellet stoves are becoming more popular by the day. But they are not as cozy as a fire place.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the pictures of El Greco. You did a great job sir! I love the steap streets
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:17 PM   #27
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8249

Quote:
Did you only visit Bergen this time? You may want to look into Trondheim too on your way to Lofoten. It features Norways most impressive church along with a few dozen nice Art Nouveau buildings.

Did you take any pictures of the new tram line and some the projects being constructed while you was in Bergen?
Yeah only Bergen. I didnt take any pictures of the trams but I have a couple of the new developments, although I spent most of the time in the old town and the mountains.

Thanks for the suggestion btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
Some words to describe this city: Spectacular, colourful (despite the somtimes grey weather), cosy, picturesque, hilly

Except for the high cost of living (and the expensive alcohol ), it must be wonderful to live in this city. You can enjoy all natural elements like water, air (clean air, the fog), earth (the rocks, the slopes) and fire (uhm... maybe the warm tones of the buildings). You have both the delights of living in an important city and living in a great natural setting and near a quiet and wild natural environment. It's a very complete experience.
True that!

Yeah the alcohol is very expensive. I wonder why that is so?

Highcliff, Galro liked this post
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #28
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43420

Beautiful pictures!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM   #29
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I wonder why that is so?
It's due to heavy taxes on top of already high costs. Alcohol along with tobacco, cars/transport, foreign agricultural products and a few other things have always been among the stuff the government like to tax.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:00 PM   #30
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Beautiful pictures!
Thanks!

Quote:

It's due to heavy taxes on top of already high costs. Alcohol along with tobacco, cars/transport, foreign agricultural products and a few other things have always been among the stuff the government like to tax.
Tobacco is one thing, but why alcohol? Did Norway have problem with drunkenness? Our 12th century friend clearly thought so lol.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:08 PM   #31
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

awesome thread, el greco...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:11 PM   #32
Galro

Quote:
Tobacco is one thing, but why alcohol? Did Norway have problem with drunkenness? Our 12th century clearly thought so lol.
It depends on how you define problem. Alcohol have always been rather popular here just like it still is. But I have seen no signs to our heavy taxes having reduced the consumption. In fact it is currently close to a all time high (the black line) despite ever-increasing taxes and various measurements being introduced to reduce the availability of alcohol - like not selling it in stores after 20:00 on weekdays and 18:00 on Saturdays:

But we in Norway loves to either tax and ban stuff (alcohol used to be illegal here like in the US before they started taxing it) so I don't expect it go away anytime soon.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #33
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

Great pictures of a great looking city

El_Greco liked this post
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #34
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
It depends on how you define problem.
Drunken brawls in the streets, people puking their guts out on street corners and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Great pictures of a great looking city
Thanks man!

Last edited by El_Greco; August 22nd, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #35
Galro

Quote:
Drunken brawls in the streets, people puking their guts out on street corners and so on.
That's quite common here, yes. My impression is that Norway and the rest of the Nordics have pretty similar drinking culture to the UK, which means lots of binge drinking each weekend. Wikpedia mentions that:
Quote:
The highest levels of both binge-drinking and drunkenness are found in the Nordic countries, UK, Ireland, Slovenia and Latvia. This contrasts with the low levels found in France, Italy, Lithuania, Poland and Romania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_culture
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:09 PM   #36
joshsam
JR

It shows that having high taxes or strict rules on alcohol use only drive the youth to see drinking as a kick to 'brake' the rules. Alcohol use in Poland for instance is high, same for Belgium, yet no strict rules and cheap alcohol available everywhere, yet people know how to drink decent proportions of alcohol spread across the night, instead of drinking a whole bottle in 30mins. You'll see lots of intoxicated youth asswell as older people, but people don't commenly drink to the point they have to puke.

Alcohol consumption in nordic countries is lower compaired to the rest of Europe, mainly because older people don't drink as much I guess.

Galro, Benonie, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; August 22nd, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM   #37
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:

That's quite common here, yes. My impression is that Norway and the rest of the Nordics have pretty similar drinking culture to the UK, which means lots of binge drinking each weekend. Wikpedia mentions that:
Oh right. I bet it gets worse the further north you go.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #38
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Really beautiful! A shame it is so far from southern Scandinavia...

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

El_Greco, Highcliff liked this post
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM   #39
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

Quote:

Great new shots, and from a country we don't see a lot of photos from here! Really enjoyed the tour. A lot of the houses are pretty similar to the Georgian style adapted with wooden boards in 17th and 18th century New England, except with a steeper roofline and different roof tiles.

El_Greco, Highcliff liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:12 PM   #40
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Really beautiful! A shame it is so far from southern Scandinavia...
Is it? How long is it by train from Malmo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Great new shots, and from a country we don't see a lot of photos from here! Really enjoyed the tour. A lot of the houses are pretty similar to the Georgian style adapted with wooden boards in 17th and 18th century New England, except with a steeper roofline and different roof tiles.
Yeah I thought they looked somewhat like the ones you find in New England. Very pretty!

Thanks guys!