daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #21
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Didn't expect this subject to be that controversial.

There's the listing of metro cities at Metrobits.org, which may be controversial itself. The list is maintained by user j_serradell. He updates the data thoroughly, and I'm thankful for it.

The idea was to find pairs of those cities that are connected by metros.

The list does list Tama and Kamakura for their monorails, for example. It does not list Jersey though, but I thought it would be wrong to write that New York and Newark are connected by PATH without mentioning Jersey City.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #22
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Not really wishing to quibble here myself but it is nonethess possible to make a journey without submerging into NY state ... changing trains there ain't necessary nightime
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #23
micro

So my goal is to find connected pairs among the following cities:

Adana Algiers Almaty Amsterdam Ankara Antwerp Athens Atlanta Baku Baltimore Bangalore Bangkok Barcelona Beijing Belo Horizonte Berlin Bielefeld Bilbao Bochum Bonn Boston Brasilia Brescia Brussels Bucharest Budapest Buenos Aires Buffalo Bursa Busan Cairo Caracas Catania Changchun Charleroi Chengdu Chennai Chiba Chicago Chongqing Cleveland Cologne Copenhagen Daegu Daejeon Dalian Delhi Detroit Dnepropetrovsk Dortmund Dubai Duesseldorf Duisburg Edmonton Essen Frankfurt Fukuoka Gelsenkirchen Genoa Glasgow Guadalajara Guangzhou Gwangju Haifa Hamburg Hangzhou Hanover Helsinki Hiroshima Hong Kong Incheon Istanbul Izmir Jacksonville Kamakura Kaohsiung Kazan Kharkov Kiev Kitakyushu Kobe Kolkata Kryvyi Rih Kuala Lumpur Kunming Kyoto Las Vegas Lausanne Lille Lima Lisbon London Los Angeles Ludwigshafen Lyon Madrid Manila Maracaibo Marseille Mashhad Mecca Medellin Mexico City Miami Milan Minsk Monterrey Montreal Moscow Mulheim Mumbai Munich Nagoya Naha Nanjing Naples New York Newark Newcastle Nizhny Novgorod Novosibirsk Nuremberg Oporto Osaka Oslo Palma de Mallorca Paris Perugia Philadelphia Pittsburgh Porto Alegre Poznan Prague Pyongyang Recife Rennes Rio de Janeiro Rome Rotterdam Rouen Saint Louis Saint Petersburg Samara San Francisco San Juan Santiago Santo Domingo Sao Paulo Sapporo Seattle Sendai Seoul Seville Shanghai Shenyang Shenzhen Singapore Sofia Stockholm Stuttgart Suzhou Sydney Taipei Tama Tashkent Tbilisi Tehran The Hague Tianjin Tokyo Toronto Toulouse Turin Valencia Valencia Valparaiso Vancouver Vienna Volgograd Warsaw Washington Wuhan Wuppertal Xi'an Yekaterinburg Yerevan Yokohama

And possibly these future or metro-like system cities:

Abu Dhabi Adelaide Ahvaz Alicante Auckland Belgrade Bogota Bologna Brisbane Calgary Campinas Changsha Chelyabinsk Chiang Mai Cincinnati Dallas Damascus Doha Donetsk Dongguan Dublin Esfahan Fortaleza Foshan Fuzhou Gdansk Gold Coast Gothenburg Granada Guiyang Gurgaon Hanoi Harbin Hefei Ho Chi Minh City Honolulu Houston Hyderabad Jaipur Jakarta Jeddah Jersey City Jerusalem Johannesburg Kansas City Karlsruhe Kochi Komaki Krasnoyarsk Lanzhou Laon Linz Liverpool Luoyang Macau Malaga Manchester Melbourne Minneapolis-Saint Paul Morgantown Nanchang Nanning Ningbo Norfolk Oberhausen Oeiras Omsk Ostend Palermo Panama City Parma Perm Perth Portland Pune Qingdao Quito Rhine-Ruhr Riga Riyadh Rochester Rostock Rostov-on-Don Salt Lake City Salvador Salzburg San Diego San Sebastian Serfaus Shijiazhuang Shiraz Sioux City Tabriz Taichung Taiyuan Tel Aviv Thessaloniki Uijeongbu Urumqi Utrecht Venice Vilnius Wellington Wuxi Xiamen Yongin Zhengzhou Zurich

Old August 29th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #24
trainrover

Lagos (glaring Part-2 omission ); Venice (glaring Part-2 insertion )
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #25
micro

Ok, here's now the Lagos page.

And you mean Venice's project is shelved?
Old August 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #26
trainrover

Venice is getting one? Discounting its cable car, I thought it was a vessels-only town...forever.
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #27
Raitsikka

Likes (Received): 62

Vilnius only has buses and trolleybuses, to my knowledge. Are they really building a metro? :-O
Raitsikka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #28
micro

Proposed and postponed I guess. See the links to Wikipedia, Urbanrail.net and official website on this page: http://mic-ro.com/metro/metrocity.html?city=Vilnius
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #29
thun

Germany:
Ruhr region: Düsseldorf/Duisburg/Krefeld/(Ratingen), Mülheim/Essen/Gelsenkirchen and Bochum/Herne/Witten are three systems covering various cities and all three are interconnected by tram routes (which afaik can be used by metro trains). The Dortmund metro is not connected to the others.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtbahn_Rhein-Ruhr

U-Bahnen: München - Garching, Nuremberg - Fürth. Stadtbahn Stuttgart reaches quite a few adjacent towns.
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #30
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Venice is getting one?
No.
friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #31
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Düsseldorf/Duisburg/Krefeld/(Ratingen), Mülheim/Essen/Gelsenkirchen and Bochum/Herne/Witten are three systems covering various cities and all three are interconnected by tram routes
Thanks, I've added Essen<-U11->Gelsenkirchen.

Initially I didn't want to list tram connections between metro cities, but maybe it's of interest for the metro fan to ride from metro city to metro city by tram if there's no metro connection. So I've inserted "Tram" as a third connection type and added the two tram connections as well ( http://mic-ro.com/metro/adjacentcities.html ).

Which leads to the question if there are more tram-connected metro cities in the world that I should list.

I don't want to list commuter rail/suburban metro connections though, that would be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
U-Bahnen: München - Garching, Nuremberg - Fürth. Stadtbahn Stuttgart reaches quite a few adjacent towns.
Those don't fit into the connections list as Garching and Fürth are not listed as metro cities.
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #32
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
More importantly, [Shenzhen lines] are NOT connected to [Hong Kong] East Rail.
But you can walk across easily, so I'd count that as a metro connection between the two metro cities.
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #33
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Are you counting metro-like Japanese commuter rail (as your list suggests)? In which case, should you not add Osaka to Kyoto and Osaka to Kobe?

Additionally - Chiba is connected to Tokyo via the very frequent Sobu line (metro-like) and connects the Chiba Monorail and Tokyo metro systems.
No, I wouldn't like to count commuter rail lines. It would make it complicated as it's even harder to draw the line between commuter rail, regional rail and long-distance rail than between metro and commuter rail. Japan is a real challenge in this regard (though for the passengers, the through-services are of course the best you can have).

So the Sobu Line, operated by JR East, seems to be a commuter rail line to me.
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #34
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Interesting topic, but one thing no one has mentioned yet is the distinction between cities and suburbs. Often it is irrelevant: the wider metropolitan area is the entity that matters. In this case, I'm not so sure.

The obvious ones are Seoul/Incheon, New York/Newark (I'm not sure about Jersey City), and Guangzhou/Foshan. Depending on how you want to construe the suburb thing, you could add Seoul/Uijeongbu to the list since the latter recently constructed a VAL line. By the same token, is Gimhae city or suburb, Busan-Gimhae Line notwithstanding?

Taipei and Taoyuan are not connected by metro yet, but Taoyuan's getting its own metro system.

Hong Kong and Shenzhen are an interesting case: you have to cross a border in order to connect between the MTR's East Rail line and the Shenzhen metro.

How about San Francisco and Oakland?
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM   #35
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Karaj lrt is to be openned soon.
Then we will have Tehran (mrt) and Karaj (lrt) connected by a metro like commuter line.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:32 PM   #36
micro

I've been taking your comments into account and have made a new page with the somewhat wittier title Metro System Hopping. It makes clusters of connected cities visible and looks like this:

The Metro System Hopping entries also appear on each individual city page.

Because it's fun I'm now rethinking the idea of including the suburban rail connections.

@Augusto: Couldn't find a reference to "Karaj LRT".
Old September 1st, 2013, 02:32 AM   #37
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8801

Personally I think including metro-like suburban rail connections (like those in Tokyo, which are more frequent than a lot of metro systems I can think of) would be of great benefit to the project - especially given my earlier example of the Sobu line which links at Motoyawata station both for the TOEI Shinjuku line and at Chiba station for the Chiba Monorail, thus providing a direct metro to metro transfer.

You might want to update the Keio line to the title: "Keio line/Keio New line" given that it is the track portion of the Keio New Line that links up to the TOEI Subway Shinjuku line at Shinjuku to provide through service.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:47 AM   #38
micro

See what happens if suburban/commuter lines are included: Rhine-Ruhr cluster gets notorious even if it doesn't have full metros, and it connects with the Cologne cluster. Many small municipalities that have only trams, LRT and S-Bahn.

There must be far more commuter rail connections in the world... but where?

Btw is PATH rather a metro/subway or a commuter rail line?

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #39
micro

Washington O---MARC---O Baltimore added after reading this post.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #40
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8801

Really? The MARC is so infrequent! If that is counted as a metro - metro link, then every single European city with a rail link between two metro cities counts. Certainly the Tokaido Shinkansen is frequent enough to count (and a fast enough connection) to connect Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo metro systems then.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote