daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2015, 06:38 PM   #221
MojoRisin123

Likes (Received): 85

Awesome theard!
I visited Venezia last december and was so impresive, i love the city! I'm from Barcelona, and i feel very similar like venetian people, people of the city where so kind and sympathetic.

Jasper90 liked this post
MojoRisin123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #222
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12105

Covered boat parkings and Fire Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisin123 View Post
Awesome theard!
I visited Venezia last december and was so impresive, i love the city! I'm from Barcelona, and i feel very similar like venetian people, people of the city where so kind and sympathetic.
Hi, thank you!!!
I love Barcelona too! It's the only part of Spain I've visited so far, and it's an amazing city: there's always something to do, someone to meet and talk to! I'm looking forward to visit again, or visit other parts of Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming Girl View Post
Thanks for your detailed answer!

I thought every household there had a boat and used it like a car in land-based cities! As you explained, that is clearly not the case.

You mentioned on earlier posts that many houses stopped using ground floor because it flood risk. Is it possible to convert part of a disused grand floor to a small boat garage of sorts?
Thank you for your questions and interest
Ground floors are usually shops, warehouses, halls or beautiful historical courtyards. But there are already some covered "garages" for boats (Venetian name: cavàna): the most interesting one is surely the one on the fire brigade headquarter. The building was built in the early '30s with a very classical style. Those arches on the ground floor are used to keep the fire brigade emergency boats covered!
This building would be even more awesome with a major cleanup

Since the pictures aren't so good, you can see it better on Google maps in these two links: https://www.google.it/maps/@45.43481..._2j8CA!2e0!3e5

https://www.google.it/maps/@45.43523...cOuLYIzjaA!2e0

Last two pictures also show the fire brigade boats

Venice 2008 471 by dvdbramhall, on Flickr

Vigili del Fuoco by usf1fan2, on Flickr

Vigili del Fuoco by davecurry8, on Flickr

Pompiers de Venise by dalbera, on Flickr

However, these can only be built in new buildings. You're usually not allowed to do any major change (or any change at all) to the external appearance of all historical buildings. Non-historical buildings are relatively rare, and they rarely face the canal

I'll answer the other questions in next posts

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

JanVL, Chimer, meeti, The Eagle, Chernabog liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 03:25 AM   #223
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2351

What a wonderful thread! I went to Venice for the first time a year ago and I was in awe the whole time I was there.... that's REAL density!!
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #224
FilTur

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
To be honest you're talking utter BS, you don't even speak a word of Italian, please refine your historical sources.

Go spam somewhere else, please.
Sorry? He does not know Italian, but it seems that he knows Italy and its history better than many Italians...
FilTur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #225
FilTur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silano (2.0) View Post
Beg your pardon?
The situation cannot be portrayed so simply, but actually there is a strong "independentist feeling" among the inhabitants of region Veneto (not Venice itself). But while opinion polls agree on that (roughly, 53-55% of voters would say YES*) the political movements aiming directly at it are still small and divided, even if with growing popularity. There are both cultural (local language, society, traditions, history**) and economical reasons e.g. roughly 20billions € every year, collected in taxes (total is 70bn €/year), are never returned on the territory of the region (the calculation already includes what Rome also spends in court houses, police, military etc. inside Veneto, which GDP is around 140-150bn €/year). As said, not everyone agrees on independence, and they actually are many ones, even if the majority seems to support it today.
In the meanwhile, the Lega Nord (Northern League) party, which still represents much of pro-independence istances, is slowly transforming into a kind of post-fascist and Italian-nationalist movement under the new leadership; it seems then no more willing to really carry on this "battle". Despite this, region president Luca Zaia (from Lega Nord) promised to try every legal way to be able to make an official referendum: frankly, they seem more words from a politician to keep consensus, rather than real actions; but a decision on that from Italian constitutional court is pending, due on 28/04/2015***.

*neutral source:
http://www.demos.it/a00970.php
http://www.demos.it/a01058.php

**Venetian Republic lasted one thousand years, fully independent from Holy Roman Empire, Spanish Empire, French Kingdom or Papal States. While nowaday region Veneto was part of it only for its last 400 years, Venetian cities and communities always had a distinct identity during Middle Ages, first becoming part of the March of Verona (initially part of the Kingdom of Italy, then under the duchies of Bavaria and Carinthia), and after trying to preserve their de facto independence as free cities under Holy Roman Empire. In 1797 Napoleon put to an end the Republic, then ceding it to Austria (back under French rule in 1806, and back under Vienna in 1814). Finally Italy occupied and annexed Veneto in 1866, with a Crimean-style referendum which upsets many independentists still today.

http://www.indipendenzaveneta.com/ed...ale-28-aprile/
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #226
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Very cool thread, keep it coming.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #227
IThomas

How about Venetian boys? Are they like the famous 'Casanova'? Seduction > Romanticism > Sex?
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #228
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15520

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilTur View Post
Sorry? He does not know Italian, but it seems that he knows Italy and its history better than many Italians...
Sure, better than self-assured separatists.

Quote:

**Venetian Republic lasted one thousand years, fully independent from Holy Roman Empire, Spanish Empire, French Kingdom or Papal States. While nowaday region Veneto was part of it only for its last 400 years, Venetian cities and communities always had a distinct identity during Middle Ages, first becoming part of the March of Verona (initially part of the Kingdom of Italy, then under the duchies of Bavaria and Carinthia), and after trying to preserve their de facto independence as free cities under Holy Roman Empire. In 1797 Napoleon put to an end the Republic, then ceding it to Austria (back under French rule in 1806, and back under Vienna in 1814). Finally Italy occupied and annexed Veneto in 1866, with a Crimean-style referendum which upsets many independentists still today.

http://www.indipendenzaveneta.com/ed...ale-28-aprile/
lol.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #229
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7152

Crimean-style referendum
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #230
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12105

Real estate in Venice

I still have some of these questions to answer
Today we'll talk about real-estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaming Girl View Post
Thanks for your detailed answer!

Can any foreigner buy property in the Venetian islands, or are there some sort of restrictions like properties on the markets must be marketed to Italians first?

Suppose I have a lot of money (I don't ) and I want to move to Murano. Can I just go there and buy a nice canal-side terraced house, no questions asked?

Consider that visas wouldn't be a problem as I'd be from other EU country.

And if I may bother you a lil' more with questions:

Roughly, is it more common for families living there to rent or own their residences?

Are there many residences owned by Italian who live elsewhere and maintain a second home in Venice?
Housing market in Venice is generally free, which means that anybody can buy most of the houses in Venice, at market price.
However, there's a big number of popular houses or with partially state-subsidized rent. This is done in order to encourage people not to leave Venice and move on the other side of the bridge (in Mestre or other cities outside the Lagoon).

The price of houses in Venice is more than double the price in Mestre. Unfortunately, this encourages lots of people to move there, in addition to the benefits of having a car.

Here's a map showing average prices of homes per square metre, in each quarter of the city district of Venice, on both sides of the bridge. I took the map from the website http://www.immobiliare.it and added labels with their own data, updated on February 2015. Every area contains 250-350 houses on sale.

To obtain the price in €/sq.ft, you can roughly divide the values by 10. (10.764 is the exact conversion).

http://www.immobiliare.it/prezzi-mq/Veneto/Venezia.html

As for renting your house and moving outside Venice, unfortunately this is very common.
I say "unfortunately" because the sector has been largely liberalized recently. I'm of course not against the free market, but I think Venice should have some special rules to prevent it from becoming a hotel-town.
In recent times lots of hotel and Bed & Breakfast licenses have been given out, sometimes with corruption too. There are people under trial for this corruption, and hopefully they'll be jailed.

After the previous mayor was arrested, the current commissioner (waiting for new elections this Spring!) made a very good law, which gives facilitations to people living in Venice and renting other apartments they own.
This way, you can afford living in Venice by renting your second apartment to tourists, and everyone is happy

Last but not least: Venetians, like most Italians, usually own their house. There are some people on rent, but Italians usually prefer to use the monthly money to pay a loan instead, and slowly buy their home.
According to the last Italian census in 2011, 3 out of 4 families (75,6%) live in a house of their own property, in North Italy. The percentage in Venice is probably similar.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

eastharrietguy liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #231
FilTur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThomas View Post
How about Venetian boys? Are they like the famous 'Casanova'? Seduction > Romanticism > Sex?
No or better, there is some "Casanova", but most part of them is made of hard-working people thinking mostly to job and money...
But anyway there is sometime some sexual scandal as everywhere.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #232
FilTur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
Sure, better than self-assured separatists.

lol.
There is no way to cover facts: like the fact that you do not know historical facts.
And yes, 1866 referendum would never pass any modern "democracy test", with public voting (no secret, you had separate boxes for Yes and No), Italy which had already de facto annexed the area before referendum, Italian Army overseeing the voting booths, a great part of the population which did not vote (for such referendums, contrary to elections, all people could vote) and a final 99.99% Yes result, a percentage that I think was not seen even when Stalin annexed Baltic States. No matter, as Trabucco wrote some month ago, it was not a real vote, but simply a kind of public ceremony to mark annexation - please, annexation is the world used also on Italian history and school books, from several decades, a thing that I found very curious at high school. I think that, in 1866, being the Austrian regime pretty paternalistic and colonial-like (not so harsh, but very restrictive for local economy), a fair referendum would have anyway seen an Italian victory, but with a much more narrow margin, since some people actually opposed (for different reasons, links with Vienna, loyalty, traditionalism, suspicion for the new rule) the annexation; another point is that many people indeed expected the Italian rule to be very liberal and to give real autonomy to the region (under Austria, Lombardy-Venetia Kingdom was a fakely autonomous state) a thing that never became real.
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #233
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3601

Can we stick to torism and living in Venice issue on this topic? It's just too beautiful and interesting to go OT so frequently..."politics" (or the lack of) it's just so boring when OT... thank you for your collaboration!
tommolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:00 AM   #234
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15520

Quote:
And yes, 1866 referendum would never pass any modern "democracy test",
Utter lack of historical contextualisation. Anachronistical argument.

Quote:
There is no way to cover facts: like the fact that you do not know historical facts.
Sure, you speak. Perhaps you've just come from finding out what whatsoever *plebiscite* was back then, and now you're passing through the stages of grief.

Whereas poll voting via the internet like in the fake-referendum of 2014 is - what? The genuine expression of the clownesque side of the bunch of independentists?
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #235
pruss

Likes (Received): 53

Bella citta

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #236
gipeto

Location: La più bella del mondo. Se ti chiedi quale sia mettimi in "ignore list"
Likes (Received): 358

Last night at 23 I "discovered" this amazing topic of Venice . Thanks for your time to tell us about this wonderful city . My aunt is a "Colloredo Mels" and with her stories but I know some small Venetian history and I have visited Venice several times for business or tourism but about 90 % of the places you've described to me were totally unknown . Only one complaint , only a "Sestiere" ? I believe that a wonderful "story" like this should continue to "Castello" Thanks

Last edited by gipeto; April 18th, 2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: error genre
gipeto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #237
eastharrietguy

Likes (Received): 43

Tommolo - thank you for posting The Last Supper by Tintoretto - it is amazing! I've been to Venice 3 times, but not yet to San Giorgio Maggiore. Next time I must go.
eastharrietguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #238
eastharrietguy

Likes (Received): 43

Jasper, thank you so much for all the information you have shared. It is fascinating! I discovered this thread a week ago and have looked forward to reading through a few pages each evening. I have visited your amazing city three times, the first time in 1999. I know you must be busy, but if you ever get back to writing a description of each of the sestiere, that would be great. I'm also curious if you plan to return to Venice year 'round when you finish your studies or if your career plans would take you elsewhere.
eastharrietguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #239
Paolo98.To
Toret Proud User

Likes (Received): 3292

And how about Poveglia? The ghost's island...
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:35 PM   #240
Ruston

Likes (Received): 273

The third saturday of July is the "Festa del Redentore" , one of the most important celebration/happenings for the venetians

Its built a boat bridge that cross the giudecca canal from fondamenta Zattere to the Redentore church in Giudecca , but the core of happening are the fireworks in Bacino San Marco

Pic by il Caicio

And even more interesting is the venetian way to do the happening

Everyone takes out his boat or jump in a friend's one, the boats are moored one to the other and then we spend the evening drinking, eating , chatting with the neighbors awaiting for fireworks.

Its one of the rare moments where the real venetian life comes out.

eastharrietguy liked this post
Ruston no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
italia, italy, veneto, venezia, venice