daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2015, 10:00 PM   #241
eastharrietguy

Likes (Received): 43

Thanks for posting... its nice to hear about these festivals to learn more about Venetian culture.
eastharrietguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #242
Rowanne Colbert

Likes (Received): 6

another dream destination *sigh*
Rowanne Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM   #243
duong thu huong

Likes (Received): 11

I like your photographie, pruss. great colours and atmosphere. thanks
duong thu huong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #244
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Are the facades of the old buildings well maintained? It seems to me that Venice is facing a problem like other Italian cities - crumbling old buildings. While the grand and well-known palazzi (usually) look splendid, well maintained and beautiful, many smaller or less-known buildings look decayed. Is the city doing anything to prevent that, since it's probably very hard to renovate a building and its facade in a city like Venice? Thanks in advance.
Old September 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #245
Dinee

Likes (Received): 15

Lovely Venice, great pics.Thanks for sharing.
Dinee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #246
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3601

I don't see manteinance problems on the facade of buildings in Venice...
They're authentic, not badly mantained. Many buildings around the world looks like they are old but they aren't. They're ancient wannabe, and Italians take the fake ancient issue very seriously, if a buildings is 800 years old, it must looks like that old, to excessively polish the facade would result in a banalization of the history of the buildings.
The buildings that looks like very ancient are so because they're actually very ancient.
Otherwise thy'll be a disneyland pastiche.
Is a matter of pride to show how old and how intact are our historical centres.
Beware of those pefectly polished "ancient" town, they're cheating on you!

poinc, Titan Man, IThomas, BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
tommolo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #247
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I'm sorry, but I think that's how you make a pastiche building. I've seen many buildings in Italy that were renovated to look old and I see it as a pure kitsch. You don't need to show that a building in Italy is old, it is well known all over the world. Also, the buildings were new at some point and to create a patina that was never there is just wrong. For me it's better to renovate a building properly and then let it age and create a new patina than "remake" its history. But, it's all the matter of taste. Anyway, thank you for your response.
Old November 5th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #248
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3601

I'm sorry but I think I fail to see your point...can you please bring on some example?
Generally talking, I'm against "artificial ageing" of building too, what I said was
about the italian way to restoration, we usually tend not to polish too much the monuments, while other cultural environment (not going too far, France, Switzerland...) restore them thoroughly. In Italy, restoration is more linked to structural resistance than aesthetics. In general they never undergo to an artificial ageing, I promise you That would seem tacky.
But anyway, it's matter of taste, both personal and cultural...
And no, I don't recall the problems about crumbling facade you can find in other Italian cities (that said, a polished Naples with perfect facades would halve its charme to my eyes)

Titan Man liked this post

Last edited by tommolo; November 5th, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
tommolo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #249
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I stumbled upon a picture of a recently restored building in Venice, I think, and they used a paint that seemed like it faded because of the weather and age, and I think it's not a good thing to do. Old buildings, whether they are gothic, renaissance, baroque etc. were not build to look old, their architects imagined them with fresh paint and clean ornaments. Now, I don't think all historical buildings should look like they were built yesterday, but they should look "fresh" with a slight of patina just to show its rich history.

Maybe those facades that I've seen aren't crumbling, but they look too old and in some parts damaged. But, as you said before, they were probably renovated without too much polishing and I don't have anything againt it as long as the majority likes it, and it looks like Italians like it, so who am I to judge...

eastharrietguy liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #250
Jasper90
Unitā

Likes (Received): 12105

This is a very interesting discussion and I'm going to give my opinion too, as soon as I have a little time!

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #251
FilTur

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
Utter lack of historical contextualisation. Anachronistical argument.

Sure, you speak. Perhaps you've just come from finding out what whatsoever *plebiscite* was back then, and now you're passing through the stages of grief.

Whereas poll voting via the internet like in the fake-referendum of 2014 is - what? The genuine expression of the clownesque side of the bunch of independentists?
I agree on the "anachronistical argument"; but they still use it today, to mantain that Veneto was willing to become full part of Italy. Historical sources are more about a messy situation, but you got it right: that time it worked that way, plebiscites (until mid XXth century e.g. in the Baltics) were only a fake celebration of the new rule. The same was for France in Nice, or everywhere else.
The internet referendum was anyway less fake. Not a real, official one, but at least a good try. I repeat that I cannot assure all the 2.5million votes, but I can assure many people really did vote, and they were not robots from foreign servers: it was easy, on line or in some public place, and nobody really expected to get independent the next day. Take it like an opinion poll if you like - just think about it, can you force people to be someone or to be part of something they does not like to be?

I excuse for all the time and space this discussion required, sorry for the excellent post about awesome Venice.
FilTur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #252
eastharrietguy

It's fine for an ancient building to look old - it is! One the other hand, it shouldn't look like its about to fall down, either. All buildings should be "maintained" and if done so properly, they will not need a major renovation that could ruin their appearance. From my observation, Venice has buildings in varying condition. Some are in excellent condition and have been well-maintained, others need some work but are not in serious disrepair, and quite a few have more serious problems - a few appear vulnerable due to their extreme deterioration. I speak only of exteriors as I have not been inside many buildings other than museums, churches, etc. While I fear for some of the buildings that are in poor condition, Venice overall is still magical place that should be preserved.
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #253
ll2800116

Likes (Received): 12

Nice city
ll2800116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #254
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I actually believe that a historical building already looks old no mather how much you restore it. A gothic or baroque building will always look old since we live in a world of glass and steel, so I don't understand the need to show its age through such an unnatural way. Look at Dresden, for example. Almost all of its historical buildings have been reconstructed after WW2, but they still show that they have a long and rich history.

The_Fox liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #255
eastharrietguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper90 View Post
This is a very interesting discussion and I'm going to give my opinion too, as soon as I have a little time!
I hope so, Jasper - I miss your posts. I hope you are well - Happy New Year!
Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:52 AM   #256
Ruston

Likes (Received): 273

Here un example taken from google streetview

Sestriere Cannaregio. a lively part of venice away from main tourist fluxes

Building "A" badly needs a facade renovation , plaster is gone from the first floor
Building "B" seems freshly done
Building "C" seems done in the 2nd and 3rd floors and bad conditions below

First of all : renovations in Venice are not easy work , first you need lot of paperwork , all is under Sovraintendenza ai Monumenti authority , so the bureaucratic red-tape is 4x a normal work - for example to build a new bathroom you need also an Archaelogical Survey. You have also very little to choose in the external aspect ; it will be dictaded by the Municipalty following Sovraintendenza guidelines.
Then organize the work is 3-4x harder respect a normal city , spaces are really cramped, so many times you need to literally go into or over other properties, or block access to others ..
Costs are also multiplied, just the logistic is 3x the standard, plus no heavy machinery, no cranes, no excavators /demolition equipment. Most work have to be done by hand.

And this is easy if you are the sole proprietor of building, if not you will have to convaince the other proprietors - make be dozen of heirs - If you look the pic, the A building have the second floor seemingly shuta and abandoned, the C - violet building is probabily property of two different families , one restored the exterior, the other no.

eastharrietguy, Zaz965 liked this post
Ruston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #257
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Whoa!!!

Tags
italia, italy, veneto, venezia, venice