daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #121
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
What are they doing with those HY TOWERS? First 35HY now this? Those were by far the best designs in the area, not they look like..... I'm speechless! Damn value engineering!! Such a shame.
value engineering? why jump straight to that excuse? Also, 35 Hudson Yards is still pretty awesome.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #122
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
value engineering? why jump straight to that excuse? Also, 35 Hudson Yards is still pretty awesome.
Agree! I would not call it value engineering as well. It's possible Related did a survey and some people disliked the mid section because it made the tower look like a huge statue of a woman doing a handstand prominently in the Yards instead what it is meant to be.... A tower.

At least that was the one big aspect of the design that bothered me. It is much more sleeker and I'm glad they kept the top which still makes this tower unique design wise.

However with that said I'm a bit torn while I do like it. Just not sure at this point if I like it better.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Hemeroscopium liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #123
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

One Hudson lost its diamonds to become a box. Etower lost its setbacks and now d tower lost the bulges that made the design interesting. If its not valve engineering its still making hy a hell of a lot more boring. I'm sure the minamalists will be thrilled.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #124
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

absolutely agree. I can't find another explanation besides value engineering to explain how such a well designed tower would need any kind of design change. Unless I was in the minority in thinking the previous design was perfect as is.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #125
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

55 Hudson Yards switched developers, 35 HY got a height increase, and we don't know the circumstances behind this change. Maybe this new design will allow for more consistent floor size and therefore more space. It's still a bit disappointing, but don't go around tossing out accusations that they cut some corners to save some money on the design.
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #126
Ghostface79

That's not an "accusation", that's an opinion of what I think happen, which I'm entitled to have and if you disagree feel free to ignore my post, but don't tell me what I can or cannot say or think.
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #127
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
That's not an "accusation", (1) that's an opinion of what I think happen, which I'm entitled to have and if you disagree feel free to ignore my post, but (2) don't tell me what I can or cannot say or think.
1. That's an accusation, in your opinion that is what you believed they did, and you voiced your opinion on the matter.
2. I never did
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #128
Ghostface79

I'll remember next time to explain my thought process like I would to a 5 year old so you can understand.
Alright, enough wasting space on this thread with this stupidity.

Still very disappointed with the redesign, I love how the Curbed article refers to the design change: "Hudson Yards Tower Saved from Having an Interesting Shape".

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ting_shape.php
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #129
Hemeroscopium
BANNED

Likes (Received): 404

OMG!!!....don't like the One wtc like base but so much better!!!less pretentious with something from N Foster's style.
Hemeroscopium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #130
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

The big idea was the curvy, twisting midsection makes the top... another disappointment to go along with the extra bulge that's going to mar an otherwise superb Equinox Tower. Maybe it did test as unpopular, but I really liked it... the top tubes are still interesting though and I still look forward to the tower breaking ground soon. I would have loved the original more for sure but still it's not like it's a disaster. I want to see more renderings and it would be nice if YIMBY ever interviews the Related folks to ask what was the reasoning to the changes both here and the Equinox. I just overall want to see Hudson Yards rising and I'm not going to badmouth the decision, it just wouldn't have been my preference but I'll make lemonade out of lemons and eventually probably really like it. Have to deal with what is, rather than how you like things to be ideally.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #131
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I BELIEVE THEY REDUCED THE COST OF THE BUILDING IN ORDER TO MAKE A LARGER PROFIT.

There, I have made my official accusation since this is a big deal for some of you.

We have boxes in 50 and 55 and box to circle transition towers for 35 and 15. These are clearly cheaper and simpler than what was originally proposed, or in 50's case cheaper than basically any other design.

MarshallKnight, Ghostface79 liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #132
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Whether the change was meant as a cost-saving measure or not, I'm kind of glad they did it. There are so so so so so many shapes and textures and angles at play in Hudson Yards, especially from the middle of the towers towards the ground, that it has long come across as a jumbled mess. The corset at the middle of this tower, as interesting as it would have been on its own, made the biggest contribution to the jumble.

Basically, when every single tower is trying to be a star, and they're all shouting "look at me" over one another, it all amounts to a lot of noise. That's why I'm okay with simplifying each of them a bit, in order to preserve a little sense of harmony.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #133
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I think it makes more sense now. Before it looked like the architect didn't know how to connect the two distinct parts.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #134
Ghostface79

I honestly believe the transition from the bottom to the top was an important element of the design. I created something truly unique.
This new design isn't bad, it just doesn't stand out the way the previous one did. Shame cause I think this could've been a classic.

citybooster, seb.nl liked this post
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #135
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18883

Much better. This tower looked terrible:

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #136
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I understand where Marshall is coming from, but it would have been so cool... just wish they'd junk the trunk on the Equinox. If they want a simpler, cleaner yet still interesting look, they'll incorporate the hotel into the Equinox and maybe raise the height a little more. They keep doing it, so why the hell not?
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #137
giorgio righi riva
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Dear Diller scofidio and Related.company
the new design for the hudson yard culture tower is outrageous...if compared to the old ( this design tower was one of the most iconic and innovative tower in Nyork),has lost the core of the project the main innovative idea ...to have the creative shape in the middle... .this is value engiinering for profit ......they continuing to change all towers....this is not the architectural future for ny..the project seem old now...has ..lost opportunity.. to be avant gard ......but standard, conservative designs......ny has lost the war to be competitive in architecture with other big urban city of the rest of the world. i hope you resign and dont signature this latest building in hudson yard.Culture tower? or culture for the profit ?( same critics for changed skidmore and pedersen setbacktower ....and the latest rent building by isamal leiva is pure dull and trash)
best regards
Giorgio Righi Riva
giorgio righi riva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #138
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Nooo. It will still look pretty cool I suppose but the previous tower would've been so interesting and idiosyncratic to NYC. This ruined my day.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #139
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2714

I like it SO much more now. Its much more elegant like this.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #140
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

15 Hudson Yards site

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Nooo. It will still look pretty cool I suppose but the previous tower would've been so interesting and idiosyncratic to NYC. This ruined my day.
I did NOT mean to ruin your day by reposting that yimby blurb.

I expect to see the actual 15 HY site to look basically the same as in the ~4 week old MTAphotos snip below. The site is outlined in "fuschia" thick point pen on a MTAphotos/Patrick Cashin photo taken 7.11.2014.

I expect the Amtrak tunnel box excavation (right (north) side of fuschia outline) to be filled in with concrete (& fill?) in the next couple of months, similar to what has already occurred in the eastern end of the tunnel box excavation. The completed western-end tunnel concrete casing will include the northernmost foundation for the future 15 HY.

Snip from MTAphotos/Patrick Cashin 7.11.2014
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtapho...n/photostream/

And this Gizmodo photo shows the western end of the concrete-casing/future northern foundation for 15HY being built in the foreground. This photo is looking east, from probably under the 11th Ave viaduct:

Gizmodo 7/18/2014

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 6th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 hudson yards, culture shed, culture tower, d tower, hudson yards, manhattan, morph, new york, related, the corset, west side