daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #161
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
New Look: Revisions For 15 and 35 Hudson Yards, Inside The Shops, and Neiman Marcus
(read article in link)

http://www.newyorkyimby.com/2014/09/...rcus-more.html

The changes to both buildings are disappointments. Still, they were both excellent designs to begin with, so they're only downgraded to very nice.

Too bad Zaha Hadid's 528 W 20th won't be one of the skyscrapers (bottom left of third rendering)... that would certainly have been the star.

j-biz, Ghostface79, yeisson liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #162
wilfred267

Likes (Received): 72

it looks strange without the corset. Me thinks they will ultimately change this to a box with a nice curtain wall.
wilfred267 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #163
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

That wouldn't be too surprising when all is said and done. I've always been a bit iffy about this tower, with and without the corset; the shapes just don't jive with the rest of the Hudson Yards.

Honestly, if they want something rounded so badly, I wish they'd just repurpose one of the the former 35 HY designs.

Vertical_Gotham, Tower Dude liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #164
Hemeroscopium
BANNED

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
The changes to both buildings are disappointments. Still, they were both excellent designs to begin with, so they're only downgraded to very nice.

Too bad Zaha Hadid's 528 W 20th won't be one of the skyscrapers (bottom left of third rendering)... that would certainly have been the star.
Not sure yet about 35 HD but to me redesigned 15 HD is WAY better:NY is a city already established in the elite of architecture and design and does not need this kind of heavily conceptual buidings that flourish in China,in the Emirates or even in Russia.
About Zaha Hadid maybe she could learn architecture from let's say Herzog & de Meuron!Would you like that .... in your city?....planned for Miami
Her project for the high line looks nice but it is obviously "inspired" from a SHOP design!!
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #165
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I'm undecided with the redesign. Not sure If I like the old look or new look better.

One thing I'm sure about is that I definitely like the previous base of this tower much better. I know it's still in the design process but I'm not feeling the look of the base so far for the new look.

new

old

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; September 5th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #166
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2662

I like the redesign of 15, I was never fond of the bulge in the middle, looks much sleeker now.
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #167
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Really!? The previous design reeked of sex and sofistication and was reminiscent of the female form! The new design reeks of budget cuts and is reminiscent of..... Well it sucks. Compared to the previous design it just sucks.

Tower Dude, onewtclover liked this post
Trex-md no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #168
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-md View Post
Really!? The previous design reeked of sex and sofistication and was reminiscent of the female form! The new design reeks of budget cuts and is reminiscent of..... Well it sucks. Compared to the previous design it just sucks.
They are using the "new design" in their FB marketing today:

Hudson Yards Fun Fact Friday!

Quote:
Did you know that Hudson Yards is one of Manhattan's fastest growing neighborhoods? It's true! The New Heart of New York sits within New York City's fastest growing neighborhood, with a growth rate of five times more than the rest of Manhattan. In the last five years the neighborhood has seen an influx of 6,000 residences and 2,400 hotel rooms. And once Hudson Yards is completed, it is anticipated that more than 24 million people will visit the #NHNY every year and retail sales will reach approximately $1 billion.
- HY NY FB marketing 9.12.2014

The foreground in the render is Chelsea...
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #169
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

It doesn't suck in my opinion, but it could have been bolder if they had went with the other designs. It's still going to look great, especially taken as the whole Phase 1 project. I want to see more detailed, close up looks... this still may not be the final forms.

onewtclover liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #170
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

It's growing on me a little, but only in the renders where it doesn't have those bands at the top...

But I think the Equinox Tower design got ruined. It looks like Tianjin 117 now. Before the design mimicked One World Trade Center a bit... it's the same architect, right?

Tower Dude liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:24 AM   #171
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Funny. All buildings of the Hudson Yards or had a reduction in height, or changed their design for the worse. I lost the desire to follow this project.

onewtclover liked this post
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:40 AM   #172
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

the designs are not final until construction starts on the rest of the complex

citybooster liked this post
optimusprimal1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:33 PM   #173
Vertical_Gotham

I scouted the newly opened High Line section this am. It’s very nice and it will be fantastic to go there to watch the progress of what will be rising in the Yards. I know it's a huge site but actually being there rreally makes you realize just how enormous this undertaking is. Amazing.

Below is a photo of 15 Hudson Yards site and it already has the platform completed where the tower is slated to rise.

Based on the Hudson Yards press kit, it says “Construction on 15 Hudson Yards is slated to begin in the fall of 2014 and the building is expected to complete in 2018.”

With the platform build completed for this site, I would say it’s realistic to meet their estimated start and if it does, 15 Hudson Yards may end up rising quicker to completion than the rising "concrete" 10 Hudson Yards tower at a tortoise pace .

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; September 23rd, 2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:18 PM   #174
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I scouted the newly opened High Line section this am. It’s very nice and it will be fantastic to go there to watch the progress of what will be rising in the Yards.
Thanks for checking it out, VG! I'm hoping to get back to NY when I go on hiatus and can't wait to do the full length of the High Line. It seems Phase 3 gives us new, much better viewing angles on the 15 HY site; I expect this thread to start getting very busy in the coming months.

Vertical_Gotham, citybooster liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #175
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Still used as a staging area. Platform is complete at this part.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #176
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

The new tower design is stupendous. Gone is that weird bulge in the middle that just didn't look right. Now the tower is sleek and futuristic and worthy of the complex. It just blends in better now, and the entire site is becoming a cohesive whole design-wise. I'm glad they came to their senses.

citybooster liked this post
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #177
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
The new tower design is stupendous. Gone is that weird bulge in the middle that just didn't look right. Now the tower is sleek and futuristic and worthy of the complex. It just blends in better now, and the entire site is becoming a cohesive whole design-wise. I'm glad they came to their senses.
I did like the corset but at least they are keeping the tubes and if that's basically it with all the changes I'm happy with the current renders after an initial time to get used to it. I just want to see this tower start groundbreaking soon!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #178
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Groundbreaking started a while ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I did like the corset but at least they are keeping the tubes and if that's basically it with all the changes I'm happy with the current renders after an initial time to get used to it. I just want to see this tower start groundbreaking soon!
The north end of this tower is above Amtrak's Gateway tunnel concrete casing, which extends down to bedrock. I assume that the rebar cages in the foreground of the j-biz photo below are transfer beams for the 15 HY columns that will rise above ?next year?

Keep in mind that the MTA/LIRR expects to have their Maintenance of Equipment shop rebuilt and back in operation sometime next year. The MoE shop is under the retail podium platform but the access tracks run partly through the extreme north end of 15 HY, IIRC.

9.19.2014, looking east from the 11th Ave viaduct

J-biz/jglover1028 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15289494151/

HY-construction re-located LIRR employee HardcoreShutterbug provides a photo of the center of the 15 HY site that I've reposted below. I assume this portion will have 15 HY caissons drilled down into the bedrock

9.24.2013 Looking NE from the newly opened "High Line at the Rail Yards"

Hardcore Shutterbug West Side Yard, NYC (2) https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardco...g/15347305756/

citybooster, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 4th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #179
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

not a bad theory on those huge concrete beams over the tunnel. Definitely possible that relates to tower D.

That whole tower D area is going to remain a staging area for a while longer.

Problem is that tower D is required in order to start the fixed building for culture shed. CS was slated to start in June/July 2015, i see that slipping into next fall at best.

They have 6 months of drilling and foundations at D before they start going vertical.

solgoldberg, j-biz liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #180
Vertical_Gotham

FYI,

According to filing 15 HY has received a slight increase to 912 ft and now 72 floors. The NB Application is partially approved & Schedule A and Zoning Diagram is in.

Sched A:
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES705495167

Zoning Document:

j-biz, ILNY, solgoldberg liked this post

Tags
15 hudson yards, culture shed, culture tower, d tower, hudson yards, manhattan, morph, new york, related, the corset, west side