daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #341
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I have a hard time believing that this tower will stand 1009' tall. Every models and renderings I had seen for this tower suggests it's much taller.
It's still below 30 Hudson's roof though, so not much taller but still probably taller than 1009'.

Maybe 1100-1150?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #342
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Every time I look around seems like a new render. We know it will be over 1,000 ft but goodness knows what form they will finally decide on.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #343
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28130

And the renders aren't getting better either. I'm beginning to lose interest.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #344
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I'm happy with all the Hudson Yards towers but I'm pretty disappointed with 35 Hudson Yards. I really hope it's not final.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #345
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I'm happy with the height of 35 Hudson(believe it may well wind up in the 1,100 ft range when it's done) but the ever changing design is frustrating, especially when the latest looks blocky and boxy and the original was changed to be sleeker because it looked too cylindrical and blocky. I'm also mildly perturbed they took the corset out of the Culture Tower which really defined it, though they have not changed the basic four tubed upper section which still makes it distinct and interesting. The office towers and the retail area where Neiman Marcus will highlight and the Culture Shed still look good to me in their renderings and I just hope we get a final design soon.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #346
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I'm happy with the new design of this building, but not with its height. To me anything shorter than the Freedom Tower is a huge disappointment. So far I would characterize the Hudson Yards as a horribly wasted huge potential. The designs of most buildings are medicore, the heights of all buildings are medicore, the urban planning is sub standard ........ I mean look at how much free space there was - free space in the most valuable city on Earth. And what did they build there? Just some fillers to fill in the space, nothing that would come even remotely close to being even slightly extraordinary. What a wasted opportunity ........
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #347
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'm happy with the new design of this building, but not with its height. To me anything shorter than the Freedom Tower is a huge disappointment. So far I would characterize the Hudson Yards as a horribly wasted huge potential. The designs of most buildings are medicore, the heights of all buildings are medicore, the urban planning is sub standard ........ I mean look at how much free space there was - free space in the most valuable city on Earth. And what did they build there? Just some fillers to fill in the space, nothing that would come even remotely close to being even slightly extraordinary. What a wasted opportunity ........
I don't think it's a wasted opportunity at all, not every building built in NY is going to be higher than 1WTC. We already have potential towers to go higher than that building in Midtown anyway so a bunch of 1000-1200+ foot towers is still amazing.

Old April 9th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #348
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

People still call it Freedom Tower? What is this, 2008?

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #349
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
People still call it Freedom Tower? What is this, 2008?
Ha! I know, what a terrible name.

Old April 10th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #350
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Well, it needs an interesting name. 1WTC is uninteresting and uniconic. The former North Tower was 1WTC too, yet to give it some life and an iconic status people called it the North Tower and together with its twin they called them the Twin Towers. I think that Freedom Tower is a very good name - iconic, bold and memorable. A name suitable for a building of its stature

onewtclover liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #351
Jay

Quote:
Well, it needs an interesting name. 1WTC is uninteresting and uniconic. The former North Tower was 1WTC too, yet to give it some life and an iconic status people called it the North Tower and together with its twin they called them the Twin Towers. I think that Freedom Tower is a very good name - iconic, bold and memorable. A name suitable for a building of its stature
Well opinions are opinions but I personally think it's the cheesiest name they could come up with, I mean obviously it's better than say "pile-of-shit tower" or something but it's still pretty bad.

Old April 10th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #352
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22489

PatakiTower?

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #353
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
I remain cautiously optimistic that we'll se at least two towers in the HY eclipsing 1WTC. One beign the Tishman's Spire site and the other will be proposed by late 2015/ early 2016. But ... a real signature tower will most likely rise in Midtown East or at MSG. 57th Street has kind of reached its height limit with Nordstrom (there could be one tower with a higher roof) and Lower Manhattan won't go over 450m+ for a while (maybe 80 South can pull it off).
So yes, Midtown East is a very likely location for a huge tower since the rezoning is in full swing.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #354
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I'm waiting for the next design!
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #355
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Give me a break......Filler? Is this a joke? You have, all next to each other, a tower that is 1280ft, 900ft, 920ft, 1000ft, 780ft, 1070ft, 1050ft, and Tishman Spire. Quit the crap and appreciate what we are getting.

onewtclover, Eric Offereins liked this post
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #356
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
Give me a break......Filler? Is this a joke? You have, all next to each other, a tower that is 1280ft, 900ft, 920ft, 1000ft, 780ft, 1070ft, 1050ft, and Tishman Spire. Quit the crap and appreciate what we are getting.
You have to understand Kanto ... he's not hating. I would argue that he's a NY skyscraper fan since he cares much about what's going on in the city.
It's just that we are all hungry for a real singature tower, and HY would be the perfect location for it (no NIMBYs, vast space). Of course not every single tower can be a supertall, even Dubai has "fillers". I think we all expected or still expect a tall tower that will break the plateau.

This pic explains it:

The North Tower is simply not tall enough to break the plateau.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #357
(:

Likes (Received): 229

What I see in that pic is a 1000' plateau, certainly nothing to complain about. And remember there is still potential for a signature tower.
Old April 10th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #358
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post
What I see in that pic is a 1000' plateau, certainly nothing to complain about. And remember there is still potential for a signature tower.
Exactly. This development is basically downtown Moscow in one complex, and there is still potential for taller buildings.

Even with its surroundings the ~1280' North Tower will have quite an impact especially considering how wide it is.

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #359
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28130

To me and to the city of New York, the incredible density, the massive scale of this project, the new urban habitat that is being created, etc. are much more valuable than having one 2000 footer here.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #360
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
To me and to the city of New York, the incredible density, the massive scale of this project, the new urban habitat that is being created, etc. are much more valuable than having one 2000 footer here.
Agreed, Midtown manhattan looks almost like Sao Paulo but with buildings 3 times as tall... great combination

ledhead, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
35 hudson yards, equinox tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc