daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #361
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

A 2,000 footer is still possible somewhere. There are ALOT of huge blocks in the HY with a lot of SF.

Kanto, citybooster, ploppalopp liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #362
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

In this photo, the current design of 35 HY actually looks pretty good with the setbacks from this angle.

Also, I know phase 2 towers are subject to change in regard to height but it's good to see a couple of the towers appear to be somewhere between 10 HY (895') & 15 HY (915') in height.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:44 AM   #363
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I think mainly being residential towers going to be really interesting when HY2 gets going all the different designs... including a couple of 900 ft ones a you mention. One thing..the West Tower... it's supposed to be the only commercial tower in that part of the complex, looks like it will be wide from all diagrams I've seen but how tall is it likely to be?

I agree with your take on the Equinox, V_G(hate referring to street addresses... just about all noted towers get popular names outside the address)... the setbacks look good, a bit like the original design. I hope it does have the rectangular morphing into cylindrical design I think though is probably the best choice. This render makes it lok like it might turn out pretty damn sweet after all, thankfully. However I'd like a final render soon..lol just like for Nordstrom!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #364
Vertical_Gotham

Yea, I really hope to be pleasantly surprised with 35 HY. (Whatever we end up with)

Just to give you a sense of the kind of cluster that will be forming here, we all know 10 Hudson Yards is a massive building but it looks insignificant and lost within this cluster. 360 Tenth and the Hudson Spire is not even displayed in those models & I'm hoping one of those towers raises the peak nicely. I feel the Hudson Spire could just do it...hopefully.

citybooster, Kanto liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #365
citybooster

Yep, Mc Court with 360 10th and Hudson Spire with Tishman-Speyer just outside HY will be important too in how the skyline plays... so much happening so quickly, and if Fox commits to WTC2, what a time the next few years for the NYC skyline!

desertpunk, Kanto liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #366
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
Give me a break......Filler? Is this a joke? You have, all next to each other, a tower that is 1280ft, 900ft, 920ft, 1000ft, 780ft, 1070ft, 1050ft, and Tishman Spire. Quit the crap and appreciate what we are getting.
Sorry pal, but I don't appreciate below average developments, no matter where they are built in the world. Look, I love NYC as a city and as a skyscraper city but that doesn't mean that I will blindly and unconditionally love absolutely everything built in New York. 57th street will have the best skyline in the world, the new WTC is at the absolute top of world architecture as well, not to speaking of the countless other gems like Vanderbilt, Tower Verre or 30 Park. These projects make New York the creme de la creme of world architecture.

The problem is the Hudson Yards are no where near these fine towers. Their design (apart from a very few exceptions) is awkwardly medicore, their height is unimpressive and their urban planning is simply horrible. I mean look at the model of the whole complex, it is a mess. It is overly dense to the point of looking like an oversized slum, the North Tower, which is the tallest building, is virtually invisible (apart from its absolute top), all the buildings are very close to height and the density doesn't allow for any views or sunlight. If we forget the vastly greater size and the modern, good looking cladding, the posted model looks eerily similar to the Kowloon Walled City with its density and monotonous height and design. And that is not a very flattering similarity

A landmark tower could help by giving the development identity, similar to how the WTC gives identity to the WFC. The WFC, just like the Hudson Yards, is too not capable of standing alone, so a much taller tower would help, the Hudson Yards just as the Freedom Tower helped the WFC. But the problem with the extreme density and the technical problems it brings will still haunt this complex. I have big objections against the height and design of the Hudson Yards buildings, but what truly breaks the complex is the horribly extreme density. In my opinion extreme density is the killer of livability and identity
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #367
reackt

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
the posted model looks eerily similar to the Kowloon Walled City with its density and monotonous height and design. And that is not a very flattering similarity
Comparing it to the kowloon walled city is taking it a little far, it might be dense but so is the rest of NYC, sure a centerpiece supertall could make this great also
reackt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #368
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Sorry pal, but I don't appreciate below average developments, no matter where they are built in the world. Look, I love NYC as a city and as a skyscraper city but that doesn't mean that I will blindly and unconditionally love absolutely everything built in New York. 57th street will have the best skyline in the world, the new WTC is at the absolute top of world architecture as well, not to speaking of the countless other gems like Vanderbilt, Tower Verre or 30 Park. These projects make New York the creme de la creme of world architecture.

The problem is the Hudson Yards are no where near these fine towers. Their design (apart from a very few exceptions) is awkwardly medicore, their height is unimpressive and their urban planning is simply horrible. I mean look at the model of the whole complex, it is a mess. It is overly dense to the point of looking like an oversized slum, the North Tower, which is the tallest building, is virtually invisible (apart from its absolute top), all the buildings are very close to height and the density doesn't allow for any views or sunlight. If we forget the vastly greater size and the modern, good looking cladding, the posted model looks eerily similar to the Kowloon Walled City with its density and monotonous height and design. And that is not a very flattering similarity

A landmark tower could help by giving the development identity, similar to how the WTC gives identity to the WFC. The WFC, just like the Hudson Yards, is too not capable of standing alone, so a much taller tower would help, the Hudson Yards just as the Freedom Tower helped the WFC. But the problem with the extreme density and the technical problems it brings will still haunt this complex. I have big objections against the height and design of the Hudson Yards buildings, but what truly breaks the complex is the horribly extreme density. In my opinion extreme density is the killer of livability and identity

I think the Hudson Yards is great. I am not an urban planner and won't pretend to be, but I am, in part, attracted to NY because of its density. Many other people are, as well, obviously, given the demand for living there.

Multiple 1,000-foot towers are rising in a developed city. It is unprecedented. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. We could get a landmark at Tishman's site. There are also many more plots that will inevitably be developed into very large structures. Also, there is going to be plenty of green space. It's almost as if you haven't even looked at the plans for the site.

I'd be happy with one 1,000 foot tower, to be frank. Most cities in the developed world would.

What we are getting is simply amazing.

P.S. The glass on 10 Hudson is stunning, and most slums don't have cultural sheds, subway stops, global and regional HQs, 1,000 foot towers, observation decks, and a Nieman Marcus, among myriad other highfalutin shopping options.

Try again.

(:, miau liked this post
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #369
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
I'd be happy with one 1,000 foot tower, to be frank.
One 1 000 foot tower would actually be the good case. The biggest problem with the Hudson Yards is that there are about twenty 1 000 foot towers extremely close to each other, blocking each other's views and light

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #370
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

The crown is a hot mess.

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:45 AM   #371
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I am more interested in the Hudson yards for the life style in such a dence area. The atmosphere while standing in the park will be unreal. One will quite literally be inside a 1000' man-made glass canyon. Though the view from the Hudson is still phenomenal, I can't wait to see it light up at night!

Last edited by (:; April 12th, 2015 at 07:18 AM.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #372
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

delete

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #373
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Kanto.... what the heck are you talking about? Nothing "stands alone" in New York City. We're not building in a vacuum here, it's all part of the larger urban fabric. The biggest problem WFC has had is the west side highway cutting it off from the rest of Downtown, not the lack of a supertall. It's a problem of not enough density. And besides, compared to most of New York, Hudson Yards is decidedly NOT dense. The huge plazas are not very progressive from a planner's prospective. Tobin Plaza of the original WTC complex was unquestionably a failure as a public space, and I think HY risks the same result.
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #374
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Ya the more and more I look at the plaza and Hudson boulevard it just seems a bit of a Corbusien regression

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #375
citybooster

I think it's starting to be a bit of a hate on fest on Hudson Yards right now and I think it's really WAY too early to declare it a failure or disappointment. I'm still of the view even if there are some things that won't work as well as we'd hoped much more than not HY will be overall a huge success. However until it's all built out everything is just speculation anyway.

ploppalopp, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #376
Vertical_Gotham

via dob for 30 HY

Old April 13th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #377
citybooster

Slight height downgrade? *SIGH*

which one are they talking about being 1268.5 ft?

Old April 13th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #378
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Slight height downgrade? *SIGH*

which one are they talking about being 1268.5 ft?
30 Hudson. It's essentially the height of the ESB. I'm not complaining.

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #379
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion View Post
30 Hudson. It's essentially the height of the ESB. I'm not complaining.
It'll be more impactful than ESB though, that building is very narrow after ~1100'

30 Hudson yards is a solid 1270 foot building.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #380
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

I completely disagree with people opposing Hudson Yards, I believe the design is great for New York and it will create a new city center. I don't think Hudson Yards is just a shitty master plan I believe its a well designed masterpiece that will soon help represent New York Cities wild ambition.

DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
35 hudson yards, equinox tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc