daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #381
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

How in gods name is this project a fail, 900 plus foot skyscrapers culminated into one great city center

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:35 AM   #382
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

DUBAI, the massing diagram if you just take it by itself looks awkward and unwieldy but it doesn't begin to really impress on people just how diverse and impressive HY when completed will be. Is it the best layout ever, could there have been improvements? Yes, absolutely.. but when done it will be one of the most massive urban projects ever... far more ambitious than even a damn great one like Rockefeller Center was. A whole neighborhood with thousands upon thousands in its environs living, working, shopping or visiting daily but almost out of nothing... upon railtracks being still used underneath all the foundation and support!

30 HY is definitely one massive tower and I do agree even with the slight shave virtually same to the roof as ESB and considerably wider. It will still surely be noticed!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #383
Wakefield

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Obviously when you look at this picture its hard to see anything but density, but how the density interacts with the sidewalk is what's most important, and I just don't see the same kind of interactivity with the street that Manhattan is known and famous for.

The podiums are oversized and there is too much space between them. There are a couple of new communities in downtown Toronto that look a bit like this and they are pedestrian deadzones.

Wakefield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #384
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I wonder about that too. I agree that the big open spaces aren't really conducive to urban street-life, but I think the mix of residential, commercial and retail will help. I expect everything in between the two main pedestrian gateways -- the 7 Train station, and where the High Line meets the HY plaza -- to remain lively, at least as long as the High Line remains popular.

But I do wonder how much foot traffic the rest of Hudson Park & Blvd, or HY Phase II, will realistically receive (especially since the High Line doesn't touch down anywhere in Phase II.)

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #385
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

The place will be buzzing! You have the Highline currently at times over capacitated with locals and tourist that would eventually be flowing into the Hudson Yards. Penn Station across the street from Manhattan West complex etc.. The whole Hudson Yards District is mix used outfitted with Office, Residential, Hotels, Shopping Center and the a new NYC landmark that will rival the Eiffel Tower...lol. Plus when there is some sort of function going on at the convention center the place would be unbearable.

In NYC where there is limited green space, the people will come.

The whole Hudson Yards Development will be amazing and I cannot wait to hang out, explore, enjoy people watching and admiring all the tall buildings etc.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #386
citybooster

I choose to be positive like V_G about HY and environs... of course,lol that the supposedly interactive centerpiece of the first phase HY won't be quite the Eiffel Tower as hyped but I'm sure it will be fantastic and people will really like it for the most part. It's going to be a exciting, wonderful new neighborhood from the High Line to the Hudson Spire(well I do keep my fingers crossed on that one!)

Old April 15th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #387
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'm on the fence. What really bugs me is how the park is going to be surrounded by streets, all but ensuring it will be underused. I don't think this will be a dead zone by any means, it's got the department store, apartments, and of course offices, but I have a hard time seeing this as coming close to being a second Rockefeller Center. Still, it's got enough going on that it will be nice. Overall I'm looking forward to it.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #388
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I'm on the fence. What really bugs me is how the park is going to be surrounded by streets, all but ensuring it will be underused.
Uh, every park in Manhattan is surrounded by streets.

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Uaarkson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #389
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Uh, every park in Manhattan is surrounded by streets.
I should have clarified. I was thinking of Rockefeller Plaza specifically and how the buildings open up directly into the public space. Office workers and tourists can just walk right out and they're there. Not to mention Rockefeller has more amenities compared to Hudson Boulevard Park to draw people in. I'm just looking at it more from the perspective of office workers who want an outdoor space to get lunch or something. Teadrop park in BPC is another example of a well integrated park.

But otherwise you're right. I guess Bryant Park is a good example of a park in a similar environment that works well despite being surrounded by streets.

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by bodegavendetta; April 16th, 2015 at 12:35 AM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #390
Vertical_Gotham

Well, the Hudson Boulevard will enjoy the success of the Hudson Yards Plaza. If there will be a lot of people within the plaza they will filter out into the parks along the boulevard. It would be beneficial and I hope future projects along the Hudson Boulevard will incorporate retail on both sides of the boulevard.

The Hudson Plaza imo, will be very similar to Rockefeller Plaza. Just like Rockefeller, buildings also will open up directly into the public space. (10 HY, 15 HY, 35 HY, 30 HY, 50 HY and 55 HY).

Like Rockefeller Center the HY Plaza will have a monument and observation decks. The Hudson Yards will have an state of the art culture shed for activities that Rockefeller does not have. The only thing is currently there is no TV station broadcasting in the Hudson Yards like NBC does for Rockefeller. lol. Perhaps, maybe CBS moves there? It would certainly advertise the place. I dunno.

As far as amenities the HY Plaza has the highly visited High Line Park that filters into the Plaza plus the Hudson Yards mall is there that will be outfitted with fine dining and shops.

Granted, Rockefeller center is in a prime prime location which you cannot beat but the Hudson Yards imo will soon be a must see destination to visit in NYC once it's completed.

bodegavendetta, citybooster liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 16th, 2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #391
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Kanto.... what the heck are you talking about? Nothing "stands alone" in New York City. We're not building in a vacuum here, it's all part of the larger urban fabric. The biggest problem WFC has had is the west side highway cutting it off from the rest of Downtown, not the lack of a supertall. It's a problem of not enough density. And besides, compared to most of New York, Hudson Yards is decidedly NOT dense. The huge plazas are not very progressive from a planner's prospective. Tobin Plaza of the original WTC complex was unquestionably a failure as a public space, and I think HY risks the same result.
Density alone is not a problem, just as uniform heights aren't a problem alone. The problem is that when these two phenomena merge it creates an urban catastrophe. There are dense areas in Manhattan, but often these dense areas are filled with buildings with variable height. If the buildings differ in height, the taller buildings have good views and are visible in the skyline. Take 57th street for example, it is a dense area, however all of the top players (432 Park, Nordstrom, Steinway) are sufficiently far from each other so that they are visible and their occupants have good views and sunshine. The WTC is denser, however it is still no where near the density of the Hudson Yards. In my opinion good urban planning should always keep density and uniform height away from each other.
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #392
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Well, the Hudson Boulevard will enjoy the success of the Hudson Yards Plaza. If there will be a lot of people within the plaza they will filter out into the parks along the boulevard. It would be beneficial and I hope future projects along the Hudson Boulevard will incorporate retail on both sides of the boulevard.

The Hudson Plaza imo, will be very similar to Rockefeller Plaza. Just like Rockefeller, buildings also will open up directly into the public space. (10 HY, 15 HY, 35 HY, 30 HY, 50 HY and 55 HY).

Like Rockefeller Center the HY Plaza will have a monument and observation decks. The Hudson Yards will have an state of the art culture shed for activities that Rockefeller does not have. The only thing is currently there is no TV station broadcasting in the Hudson Yards like NBC does for Rockefeller. lol. Perhaps, maybe CBS moves there? It would certainly advertise the place. I dunno.

As far as amenities the HY Plaza has the highly visited High Line Park that filters into the Plaza plus the Hudson Yards mall is there that will be outfitted with fine dining and shops.

Granted, Rockefeller center is in a prime prime location which you cannot beat but the Hudson Yards imo will soon be a must see destination to visit in NYC once it's completed.
Good points. I forgot about the culture shed, actually. There is a lot to look forward to
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #393
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22555

Equinox to Open a Gymcentric Hotel at Hudson Yards

Old April 27th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #394
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

Quote:
The hotel, designed by Yabu Pushelberg, will include a 60,000-square-foot gym.
That is huge.

Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 11:51 PM   #395
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

30ft / 9m height bump! Now 1,039ft / 317m.

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:59 AM   #396
Vertical_Gotham

Nice!

Via DOB

citybooster, Munwon liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:47 PM   #397
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3322

Kinda like this one.
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:27 PM   #398
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

The current design is certainly far better than some of the previous, designs, but I bet there are many new designs for this building yet to come
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:30 PM   #399
citybooster

I like it but really want to see, at least in the upper half, a more cylindrical take. But it's like Related has developer ADD, lol. Like Kanto refers they can't seem to fix on any design or height for long.

Kanto liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:37 PM   #400
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
30ft / 9m height bump! Now 1,039ft / 317m.
Height increases are always welcome
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
35 hudson yards, equinox tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc