daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #81
kevo123
Indonesia

Likes (Received): 21225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Weed View Post
If feels boring as hell! Embassies, int'l organizations, NGOs, and their staff housing are usually located in Munsu-dong, a complex consisting of three streets, walled from the rest of the neighborhood. The exceptions are the embassies of Russia and China, which are located downtown, and the embassy of Brazil, which was located in a government guest house. There was a place called the Random access club, plus a number of government run clubs catering for foreigners. As far as other expats are concerned there is a number of foreign businessmen, students, and a handful of university lecturers from abroad. Contrary to the public belief, there is a considerable number of cars in Pyongyang.
Lol that is completely understandable, i think even the N. Koreans are bored as hell about their city, i do wonder though about how the clubs runned there i wonder and whether N. Koreans loved since those are very westernized ideology.

And foreign students in Pyongyang? i wonder who would've send their kids to a place like Pyongyang where all they teach is how to praise their godly ruler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Weed View Post
Fair enough! Tourist visits to the metro are not prearranged, and passengers are ordinary commuters. Bear in mind that the standard of living in Pyongyang is far higher than in rest of the country, and it can easily match that of an average Chinese city.
Really? Pyongyang have quality of live of pyongyang couldn't possibly match a Chinese city since the healthcare there is very likely to be poorer, and also considering how poor the electricity is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayviews View Post
From what we've heard the current gen of the Kim dynasty has done a good job of sprucing up downtown Pyongyang, adding some stores, hotels, even malls, with stuff for the North Korean elites & the tourists.

But you can be sure nothing much gets down to the villages & the rural areas.
Interesting so the city is going through slow modernization, though the hotel are mostly empty and tourist aren't allowed to go to some parts of the hotel.

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||

Last edited by kevo123; November 24th, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
kevo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #82
Guajiro1
Cereal Killer

Likes (Received): 5628

Well, I also used to believe there were nearly no cars in Pyongyang, until I saw this two pictures of the city:

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Guajiro1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #83
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

That screams of being set up. if you look at footage from tourists there are no cars on the road other than buses.

Ultramatic liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #84
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5748

Their slaves are getting good at photoshop.

CNB30, zntfdr liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #85
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 667

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo123 View Post
And foreign students in Pyongyang? i wonder who would've send their kids to a place like Pyongyang where all they teach is how to praise their godly ruler.
What???

How some people could be so narrow minded...
Once, two USA tourists asked me: Serbs are evil? What stupid things people could learn from Hollywood movies or CNN.
One guest on one summercamp in Serbia from Germany, told to us that his perents told to him: "Do not go to Serbia, someone will rope you there"

Maybe, sources for informations on this forum are not so trustwothy, but more than crappy cold war propaganda from "developed west" medias.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #86
kevo123
Indonesia

Likes (Received): 21225

Well i just don't see how NK's education would be better than many countries around the world, beside they do put praising the great leader in their syllabus. (the life of blabla) Maybe they can chose not to take it :P

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||
kevo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #87
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
That screams of being set up. if you look at footage from tourists there are no cars on the road other than buses.
Well if that photo is a set up than how do you explain this? Never been a huge fan of conspiration theories of any kind. On this video you can see considerably more cars and buses on the streets of Pyongyang than before. I am not saying there are many cars, but certainly the progress in the past 3 years is considerable. I hope they can find means to improve the public transport in the city as well as the other smaller provincial ones.

And this video is made by a British, London based tourist agency that is organizing trips to PRNK.
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #88
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

^ Holy hell! They're good at CGI too!

PapaleuPaes, Ultramatic liked this post
diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #89
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

It's probably because China is sending a lot more cars into North Korea than they used to, not to mention local production of some vehicles.

zntfdr liked this post
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #90
Andrej_LJ

Likes (Received): 5204

Well if the USA lifted the almost complete sanctions on North Korea there is hope that the people of Pyongyang will see some improvements in the public transport! It is immensely hard to have normal functioning public transport in this big city if you can not import at least the basic spare parts.
Andrej_LJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #91
압둘라-爱- LOVE
'대한민국'

Likes (Received): 1693

image hosted on flickr

🆃🅷🅴 🅱🅴🆂🆃

Lw25 liked this post

Last edited by 압둘라-爱- LOVE; November 26th, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
압둘라-爱- LOVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #92
mkill

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 압둘라-爱- LOVE View Post
This subway car looks exactly like the U5 subway car that I used to ride to school in Berlin.
There is a simple reason - these were manufactured in East Germany and delivered to North Korea in the late 80ies, shortly before the wall came down.

Anyhow, it's not that surprising to see cars in Pyongyang. Politics and propaganda aside, China is now the major political and economical player over there, and it looks like some of the provincial cities in China.
mkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #93
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo123 View Post
Lol that is completely understandable, i think even the N. Koreans are bored as hell about their city, i do wonder though about how the clubs runned there i wonder and whether N. Koreans loved since those are very westernized ideology.

Really? Pyongyang have quality of live of pyongyang couldn't possibly match a Chinese city since the healthcare there is very likely to be poorer, and also considering how poor the electricity is there.

Interesting so the city is going through slow modernization, though the hotel are mostly empty and tourist aren't allowed to go to some parts of the hotel.
AFAIK there are no clubs in Pyongyang, apart from restaurants, which have karaoke with revolutionary themes. Most young North Koreans don't have time to go clubbing and enjoy themselves, because the school curriculum is tough, mandatory army service lasts from three to five years, plus they have plenty of other state-sponsored activities. As far as the elite is concerned, I have no clue, because one can go nowhere near their compounds. As far as the standard of living is concerned and the comparison with China, please note that I mentioned an AVERAGE city, not places like Shanghai, Beijing, but it could match a place like Benxi for example, or an average provincial city. Foreign students usually come from places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Cuba, and some African countries, but there are not too many of them. There were even some Russians. When it comes to cars, car ownership was ALWAYS legal, but back in the 1980's it was reserved for Korean expatriates from Japan who relocated to Pyongyang (members of the Chongryon), and they were the only ones who could afford them, and they usually drove cars like Dacia, Lada and second-hand Japanese cars Nowadays, corruption is rife, black market is thriving, there is a nouveaux-riche class that can afford buying cars, plus many cars belong to the army, government, and state-owned companies. Taxis are available too. But as I said, Pyongyang feels like being on another planet, compared to the rest of the place. The last thing I heard is that some tram lines are about to be dismantled.

zntfdr liked this post
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #94
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
As far as modernization is concerned, it's limited to a dozen new apartment blocks downtown, because they are visible, and 2012 was a VERY important year, so they had to build something tangible, which could show some some sort of "progress". The rest of the city received a minor face lift, but overall Pyongyang is far from modern.

Last edited by Need4Weed; November 26th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #95
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Does anyone have recent pictures of Pyongyang's tram and trolleybus systems?

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #96
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
Does anyone have recent pictures of Pyongyang's tram and trolleybus systems?
This one will do: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kernbeisser
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #97
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Well it's a start, but I don't know if it'll do... it's three years old and taken from a side angle. I was hoping for a number of more recent pictures of the various trams and trolleybuses operating in Pyongyang.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #98
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
Well it's a start, but I don't know if it'll do... it's three years old and taken from a side angle. I was hoping for a number of more recent pictures of the various trams and trolleybuses operating in Pyongyang.
Maybe this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/kernbei...7622978283522/

Nothing has changed in the meantime.
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #99
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail_Serbia View Post
One guest on one summercamp in Serbia from Germany, told to us that his perents told to him: "Do not go to Serbia, someone will rope you there"
With a lasso?

Silly_Walks liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #100
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Nice photos of the Dear Metro.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote