daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #41
charliewong90

Likes (Received): 281

impressive city with lots of iconic structures.
Also, I particularly like those roof shots of various train stations. I'd been to two of them namely Paris and Berlin.
charliewong90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:21 PM   #42
williamhou2005
Shenzhener

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

It sure is. Except Shenzhen of course which is a 'migrant' city where people come from all over China.

Yeah you know it. The majority of Chinese does not know that, and thinks Cantonese is a must if you want to work/live in Shenzhen, I often need to explain that to Chinese from all over the country.

Highcliff liked this post
williamhou2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #43
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Zhujiang New Town CBD

Time to continue this thread with photos

View along Huacheng Avenue from an elevated pedestrian pathway
image hosted on flickr

View to the opposite direction with CTF Guangzhou U/C (it's got taller by now )
image hosted on flickr

Guangzhou IFC, the 439m skyscraper which is the tallest one in Guangzhou (albeit not for long). Design is done by Wilkinson Eyre
image hosted on flickr
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #44
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town CBD

'Narrow' side lanes
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Parking Guangzhou style
image hosted on flickr
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #45
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town CBD

Traffic
image hosted on flickr

Two supertalls here
image hosted on flickr

Canton Tower
image hosted on flickr
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #46
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town CBD

Local shopping and dining
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Three supertalls in this picture
image hosted on flickr
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:29 AM   #47
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

Amazing, can't wait to go there in december!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Pansori, Highcliff liked this post
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:11 AM   #48
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

good job, Pansori...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:17 AM   #49
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town background

For those who are not familiar with what the Guangzhou CBD is all about I'll post some background info.

The original Guangzhou CBD was developed in the 90's and is actually located right next to what we see in the photos here. The new CBD is, in fact, the extension of it reaching the river and utilizing the riverfront. This area is known as Zhujiang New Town (Zhujiang=Pearl River in English). The plan was there since early 90's or so but the land was cleared and actual development started around year 2000 or just a little before that (can be well seen in Google Earth historical imagery). Assumingly when it was decided that demand for office space will rise as it did. It all literally was a one big construction site until 2010 after which it started looking pretty much what it is today (however there is still an enormous amount of construction activity in the area including a number of supertalls).

In my opinion (and many other opinions too it seems) it is by far the best CBD in China at the moment and one of the best in the world (the top spot might well go to Singapore and in the future Shenzhen Qiangai). By that I don't mean just the skyline (although it is also arguably one of the best worldwide) but the entire experience which includes street level, accessibility and convenience. It really is quite something from an urban perspective where aesthetics, functionality, usability, greenery and and simply pleasant environment goes along with supertall skyscrapers (quite a few of them) and epic infrastructure that all cost tens of billions of $ to get built. It is quite a contrast from Shanghai's Lujiazui (Pudong) CBD. The difference between those two is roughly 10 years and it really shows. It is probably the best indicator showing how enormously the Chinese urban development has advanced during that time. Which makes me wonder what Shenzhen's Qianhai is going to be like? Or even Tianjin Binhai?

To be clear Zhujiang New Town is still not in the same league as Singapore (as a benchmark for what urban development and CBDs should be like) when it comes to the human management side (would be very hard to demonstrate that in pictures. It has to be experienced in person) but in terms of actual 'hardware', environment and visual impact this is really an epic place which will make anyone who is into the urban and skyscraper stuff say 'WOW!'.

It is also a hotspot of some of the best contemporary architecture with a wide range of famous names in architectural design (Zaha Hadid, SOM, Nikken Sekkei and many many others) with some really classy designs including Guangzhou Opera, Pearl River Tower, the U/C CTF Guangzhou, Leatop Plaza and many others.

This is the project plan of the entire place. The main place with tallest skyscrapers and open public parks is just the core of the CBD. The entire development is actually much bigger bordering South China Expressway in the East and occupying land area of approximately 6 square kilometers. If we combine that with the existing 'old' CBD (where CITIC PLaza landmark tower is located) then we get around 10 sq km.making it a very sizeable place
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; September 23rd, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:42 AM   #50
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town CBD

I will continue with photos

Various skyscrapers

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Wind turbine of the Pearl River Tower. Even BBC has made a video about it (here). Note how at the end of the video the reporter claims that despite this one being an energy efficient building other buildings that are surrounding it are 'extremely inefficient'... it sounds rather strange given that the only buildings in the area at the time were construction sites or buildings that were barely completed. Here you go media reporting in an 'impartial' and 'unbiased' manner. Sham journalism at its best with phantom 'facts'
image hosted on flickr
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:55 AM   #51
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town CBD

A view from the public square between Guangzhou Opera House and Guangdong Museum. It's an angle that gives a sense of the monumentalism and supposed 'symmetry' of the CBD core. The symmetry is intentionally not perfect and rather vague. Landmark buildings that are meant to form the symetry are in correct locations but have different heights and designs so bringing in some playfulness and making it feel less uniformal. You can see Citic Plaza about 3km away which completes the visual perspective at the end with Canton Tower being right behind to the opposite direction as another 'completing' landmark. It really gives an amazing feeling once you realize what is the idea behind all this. The idea is to make it look grand which it does
image hosted on flickr

Guangzhou Library designed by Nikken Sekkei
image hosted on flickr

View from the backside of the library towards the Guangzhou IFC with CTF Guangzhou construction on the right
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; September 23rd, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:02 AM   #52
Pansori
planquadrat

Zhujiang New Town CBD

Lights are getting switched on as it's getting darker
image hosted on flickr

Citic Plaza. The main skyscraper landmark of Gaungzhou from 1997 until 2010 when the IFC and Canton Tower got built. 322 meters tall to the roof (those antenna-like spires officially make the building height 390m)
image hosted on flickr

KFC time
I know eating KFC in China while being a foreigner is a little lame according to some. But tell me how many of you actually had a KFC in a building designed by Zaha Hadid? This one is located in the Guangzhou Opera House
I have noticed that KFC is hugely popular in China. I normally don't even eat KFC but for some reason I feel very tempted to have it when I'm in China and it actually tastes great
image hosted on flickr
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:17 AM   #53
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Great pictures man.

Pansori, Highcliff liked this post
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #54
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

may I make an off topic comment?
grand moff tarkin...I really like this character....
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5JN1NV9Je2uqv9eL1hsxCXZxQIPHR4nbLKO4eiiv4hRtnIzaDAQ[/IMG]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Tarkin_DS.jpg
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:27 AM   #55
Distinguished

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Guangzhou is a gorgeous and beautiful city, and it's CBD is perhaps the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing CBD in the world. But overall, I find that Guangzhou doesn't have the wow factor like its neighbour Shenzhen. Almost all the photos of Shenzhen are intriguing, and despite having similar population Shenzhen definitely looks less clustered and congested than Guangzhou
i don't think so this is Shenzhen http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1659218&page=2
downtown of SHENZHEN has been being SO PROVINCIAL IN MY EYES
Distinguished no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM   #56
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinguished View Post
i don't think so this is Shenzhen http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1659218&page=2
downtown of SHENZHEN has been being SO PROVINCIAL IN MY EYES
Shenzhen has several downtowns, and this one is the oldest. I suggest you browse through more recent photos of Shenzhen of various locations. I have seen many photos of Guangzhou and outside the CBD there are not many noteworthy places in comparison, whereas each and every area in Shenzhen is unique and different from the other. Shenzhen's urban planning is far more superior than any other city in China, and overall it's the diversity that makes Shenzhen stand out among Chinese cities. Even Pansori would agree
Joseph Gomes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #57
Distinguished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Shenzhen has several downtowns, and this one is the oldest. I suggest you browse through more recent photos of Shenzhen of various locations. I have seen many photos of Guangzhou and outside the CBD there are not many noteworthy places in comparison, whereas each and every area in Shenzhen is unique and different from the other. Shenzhen's urban planning is far more superior than any other city in China, and overall it's the diversity that makes Shenzhen stand out among Chinese cities. Even Pansori would agree
i wana say GUANGZHOU'S contemporaneous urban planning was NOT BEHIDE SHENZHEN,some even better. e.s. GUANGZHOU UNIVERSITY CITY / SCIENCE CITY / SINGAPOR-SINO COOPERATE KNOWLEDGE CITY AND OTHERS WIN A SMART CITY PLAN AWARD by Smart City Expo World Congress that beat SHANGHAI'S AND SHENZHEN'S http://gzis.ac.cn/News-details-id-244.html
ZHUJIANG NEW TOWN ALSO INTERNATIONLY AWARD by ISOCARP http://www.upo.gov.cn/pages/zt/ghl/g...010/5151.shtml

Last edited by Distinguished; September 23rd, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #58
Distinguished

http://www.upo.gov.cn/pages/zt/ghl/g...9241621311.jpg

Last edited by Distinguished; September 23rd, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #59
Distinguished

http://gzis.ac.cn/Public/Efile/20121...5337_54744.jpg

Last edited by Distinguished; September 23rd, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:25 PM   #60
Distinguished

http://www.upo.gov.cn/pages/zt/ghl/g...9241545134.jpg