daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #521
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I thought the flights from Toronto to Pakistan was via Birmingham, UK? I couldn't find anything about Dubai/Emirates either!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #522
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
I thought the flights from Toronto to Pakistan was via Birmingham, UK? I couldn't find anything about Dubai/Emirates either!
Emirates do not serve Toronto yet but I heard they are planning to in future
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM   #523
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

U.S. open-skies treaty grounded for now
Air Canada awaiting antitrust ruling
ACE seeks more such agreements

Sep. 1, 2006. 07:01 AM
TARA PERKINS
Toronto Star

A new open-skies treaty with the United States that is expected to lead to lower ticket fares and more options for Canadians who want to fly abroad will not get off the ground Sept. 1 as originally announced, officials from Transport Canada said.

The deal, brokered last fall, has been stalled as Air Canada awaits antitrust ruling from the U.S. Department of Transportation allowing the airline to co-operate on international routes and pricing with United Airlines and other members of the Star Alliance. The deal is still expected to take effect later this year.

Meanwhile, some airline industry executives are pushing the government to sign similar "free trade" deals for the skies with other countries. That could boost tourism, lower ticket prices, give consumers more choice and help airports, they say.

While the Canadian government has now negotiated two open-skies agreements — it also has one with the U.K. — the United States has more than 70.

But the Conservative government appears more willing to take a free-market approach to air travel than previous governments, industry officials said.

This summer, Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon said he had asked the government to "aggressively explore opportunities for further liberalization and to develop a new international air policy to guide our future negotiations."

That's something that ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. vice-president Duncan Dee is likely looking forward to. ACE is the company that runs Air Canada.

Once the open-skies deal with the United States kicks in, Canadian airlines will be able to pick up U.S. passengers in American cities and take them to third countries, and vice-versa.

However, that doesn't mean that Air Canada can immediately begin a Los Angeles to Sydney flight — a route the Canadian airline has been eyeing — as Canada doesn't have a treaty with the Australians.

"The next hurdle will be for us to find those destinations and negotiate with their government to make sure we have the ability to do it from their perspective," Dee said.

Canada is expected to hold negotiations with Australia this fall, but that is not necessarily expected to result in a full open-skies treaty.

"We'd like to see a lot more action on open skies with nations around the world," says Jim Facette, chief executive of the Canadian Airports Council.

In addition to helping consumers, open-skies treaties could be a boon for Canada's $57.5 billion tourism industry, he argues.

Right now, there are restrictive agreements in place with many of the top 10 sources of overseas visitors to Canada, he says. For example, Japan is Canada's Number 2 source for overseas tourists, but a restrictive air regime means Canadian carriers have limited access to the market. He would also like to see treaties or better agreements with the European Union, Singapore, South Africa and other destinations.

Canada has numerous "air service agreements" dating back to the 1950s and 1960s, Facette said.

"Traditionally, these have been negotiated in a bilateral environment where they actually negotiate who gets to fly where and how many times," he said. "In an open-skies environment, you essentially get into an environment where it's similar to free trade."

The new open-skies treaty with the U.S. will be a two-way street, but Canadian industry officials say the bulk of the benefits will go to Canada.

"What this does is allow carriers to have greater opportunities to markets that are much larger than ours," Dee said. "Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia, that single market alone is probably the size of the entire Canada to Australia market, and so it allows Air Canada to participate in that."

Facette expects flight prices to drop as competition increases.

A Transport Canada official said the open-skies treaty is being delayed as Air Canada awaits approval of an application it made to the U.S. Transportation Department for global antitrust immunity.

The ruling will allow Air Canada to co-ordinate schedules and pricing with United Airlines and other Star Alliance members such as Lufthansa and Air New Zealand on flights between the U.S. and foreign destinations.

For example, Air Canada and United Airlines could co-ordinate their flight schedules from North America to Japan, to maximize efficiency.

Dee says that Air Canada is the airline with the most to gain from the U.S. open-skies treaty. "We're the single biggest foreign carrier to the U.S.," he said.

Rival WestJet is just dipping its toes into foreign markets now. WestJet vice-president Sean Durfy said the Canadian airline has talked to another air alliance, called Oneworld, and also to Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. and a number of other airlines and organizations.

WestJet is not in negotiations with any of them yet, he said. "We're not able to do any type of interlining until we have the appropriate capability in our reservation system, which is still a couple years away."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #524
Francis20
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

hello guys. i hope you wouldn't mind me posting some photos of AC i took last month at HK.

Is this a A330?

Francis20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM   #525
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Hi Francis20, nice shots, Its an A340.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:44 AM   #526
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis20
hello guys. i hope you wouldn't mind me posting some photos of AC i took last month at HK.

Is this a A330?

Oh I don't mind at all! I rode on one of these A340s from Hong Kong to Toronto last year. It's the only route with PTVs for Air Canada right now.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM   #527
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Nice.....btw, I am a little dissappointed with ACE's profit, they really only made 136 million, since the other 100 mill was from an investment.....but hey, a profit is a profit...
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #528
hkskyline
Hong Kong

After 60 years, Newfoundlanders lose direct flight to Britain
Last Updated: Monday, September 4, 2006 | 3:27 PM NT
CBC News

Air Canada's last daily connection between St. John's and London departs on Monday — leaving Newfoundlanders without a direct flight to Britain for the first time since the Second World War.

Beginning on Tuesday, they'll have to fly to Halifax to catch another connection if they want to travel to Britain — at least, for the next eight months.

The carrier decided in May to cancel daily direct flights from St. John's to London's Heathrow Airport, saying they were no longer profitable.

After much public protest, the airline relented and said it would offer three direct flights a week in April of next year, five per week in May and daily flights between June and September.

Could hurt tourism, oil industry, ties with U.K.

But Newfoundlanders have warned that the loss of daily direct flights — however temporarily — will cause the tourist industry in the province to drop sharply and threaten their traditional links with the United Kingdom.

It could also affect the oil business, industry officials have warned.

Newfoundland and Labrador's lucrative offshore platforms undergoing repairs often need specialized equipment from the European mainland.

'In the very worst-case scenario it could actually result in lost production. [On] any given day that could mean 150,000 barrels of oil per day of lost production, roughly $15-million to $20-million worth of value per day.'-Oil industry spokesman Ted Howell, on the loss of the flight

Any delays in getting the equipment means lost money, the industry warned.

"The absence of that flight means the equipment is not available on a next-day basis," said Ted Howell, the president of the Newfoundland Ocean Industries Association.

"In the very worst-case scenario it could actually result in lost production. [On] any given day that could mean 150,000 barrels of oil per day of lost production, roughly $15-million to $20-million worth of value per day," he said.

St. John's airport seeks alternate carriers

Since the Air Canada announcement, officials at the St. John's International Airport Authority have been searching for an alternative carrier.

They have said the shortlist contains two possibilities, including one from Britain.

They have said they hope to have a daily route back up by the end of the year.

Old September 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #529
Alik01

Likes (Received): 0

Has AC installed PTV's on their TOR-LONDON flights yet ? My brother is taking this flight tomorrow. His Flight from Dubai to London was with Emirates which is one of the best in the world.
Alik01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #530
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik01
Has AC installed PTV's on their TOR-LONDON flights yet ? My brother is taking this flight tomorrow. His Flight from Dubai to London was with Emirates which is one of the best in the world.
Their A330s and 767s don't have PTV's. Only the A340 has them I believe and they are flying the YYZ-HKG route.

Old September 7th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #531
Rojo
Tijuana makes me happy

Likes (Received): 777

What is WestJet of Air Canada? Thank you!
Rojo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #532
TORONTO

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The first 767 is coming out of the hanger with the new interiors in mid september. It is dedicated to be used on the YYZ-ZHR-DEL route. I guess your brother won't have PTVs if he travelled on AC at this time.

TORONTO
TORONTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #533
Alik01

My brother arrived last week from Dubai and he impressed by AC service and leg room. He also liked new Terminal 1 at Pearson. AC uses airbus A-340 on LHR-YYZ route.
He was saying that Emirates's B-777's are short on Leg room.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #534
Alik01

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Via Manchester, But since PIA bought new B777 they have one direct flight from Toronto to Karachi but the seats are hard to find. Its a sunday flight.

Unfortunately Business People in Canada cant look beyound USA for new sources of revenue.
No wonder other new Airlines like Etihaad are taking the market away from Air Canada.
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #535
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
My brother arrived last week from Dubai and he impressed by AC service and leg room. He also liked new Terminal 1 at Pearson. AC uses airbus A-340 on LHR-YYZ route.
Did it have PTVs?

Old September 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #536
TORONTO

Quote:
Did it have PTVs?
The A340's would not have any PTVs. Air Canada said they wound not refurbish any of the A340s, since they will leave the fleet soon, when the B777s come in to the fleet starting next year. The only A340's that have PTVs are A340-500 which are only used on the YYZ-HKG route.

TORONTO
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #537
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I'm surprised...cause Emirates normally like to stuff their 777 10 abrest, opposed to the traditional nine, but they give the passenger more leg room....I think 34 inches...
Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:21 AM   #538
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Air Canada eyes India with new planes
21 September 2006
The Globe and Mail

Air Canada will have more flexibility next year when it takes delivery of its Boeing 777 planes, says Air Canada chairman Robert Milton.

The new aircraft will have a longer range, allowing Air Canada to fly to more destinations non-stop, Mr. Milton said today in Toronto at a transportation conference sponsored by RBC Dominion Securities Inc.

For example, the country's largest airline is considering introducing non-stop service from Toronto to Mumbai. Mr. Milton said that on top of the passenger fees, Air Canada would benefit from being able to carry cargo to and from India.

In addition to his role at Air Canada, Mr. Milton is also chairman and chief executive officer of Montreal-based ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., the parent company of Air Canada.

Air Canada emerged from bankruptcy protection two years ago.

Old September 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #539
TORONTO

Air Canada designated to operate services between Canada and Algeria

OTTAWA, Sept. 22 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister
of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, today announced the designation
of Air Canada to operate scheduled air services between Canada and Algeria
through code-sharing arrangements.
"Air Canada's designation sets the stage for the first scheduled air
service by a Canadian carrier between Canada and Algeria," said Minister
Cannon. "This service may increase the trade and tourism possibilities between
both countries."
Air Canada initially intends to operate third country carrier
code-sharing service to Algeria as part of a commercial cooperation agreement
with Lufthansa. Code-sharing is a type of air service through which an airline
sells seats in its name on the flights of another airline. It is a tool that
allows carriers to broaden their international networks and provide better
passenger access to the global marketplace.
Under the provisions of Canada's international air transportation policy,
all Canadian air carriers may apply to the Minister of Transport for
designation to operate scheduled international air services. This designation
has been made possible through the existing air transport agreement between
the Government of Canada and the Government of Algeria. The agreement was
negotiated recently and provides sufficient rights for Air Canada to operate
such services.

TORONTO
Old September 25th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #540
iheartcities

Likes (Received): 4

Yep, it's Toronto getting all the goodies again...

Vancouver gets NOTHING!!!!

We should have more new routes too.....I know the Vancouver-Guangzhou route is probably going to be set......I wonder if the 2010 Olympics will lead to opening of new routes........
iheartcities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air canada, canada, north american airlines, star alliance