daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #641
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

They will have a fleet of over 100 aircraft by 2013, not 87 as the article says. Infact, I read a article earlier today that said 111 aircraft by 2013. I'll try to post the link.

EDIT: Here's the link. http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/inve...mentid=5223286

Last edited by Canadian74; August 3rd, 2007 at 01:30 AM.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM   #642
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
Its North America, hence not surprising. You can't compare Air Canada to Asian airlines, thats just not fair.
Why not is it acceptable to have lower standards in North America? Is not North America a developed part of the World?

I won't accept lower standards and still have to pay as much or more for flights.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #643
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Why not is it acceptable to have lower standards in North America? Is not North America a developed part of the World?

I won't accept lower standards and still have to pay as much or more for flights.
Yes, North America is developed, but you just can't compete with Asia. They got the motivation to be the best in everything while in North America, people just have a more functional atitude where if it works, thats all that matters, making something beyond functional is seen as waste. They even left European airlines in the dust. I don't know why the rest of the world cant compete, but thats just how things are.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:11 AM   #644
Canadian74

Anyone what is the size of the PTV in the new Executive First Suites on the 767s and 777s? I know the Economy ones are 8.9".
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:04 AM   #645
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

WestJet profit hit by charge, operating earns jump

CALGARY, Alberta, Aug 1 (Reuters) - WestJet Airlines Ltd.'s second-quarter profit fell 48 percent after it wrote off an ill-fated reservation system program, but operating earnings jumped to a record as capacity and passenger numbers surged, it said on Wednesday.

WestJet, Canada's No. 2 air carrier, also said it will expand its plane fleet by 66 percent over the next six years as it extends its network to more Western Hemisphere destinations, especially vacation hotspots.

The company will boost its fleet of Boeing 737s to 111 from 67 today, an expansion that includes the just-announced commitment to acquire 20 aircraft in 2012 and 2013, President Sean Durfy said.

"As we continue to add to our fleet plan and take delivery of new aircraft, we see numerous opportunities and markets to profitably deploy our increased capacity," Durfy told analysts.

WestJet added 16 percent more capacity in the second quarter on an available seat mile basis and still boosted its load factor, or number of seats filled, by 3.4 percentage points to 80.9 percent.

It expects to increase its capacity by 14 percent in the third quarter, Durfy said.

The company, which competes with the country's dominant carrier, Air Canada , added three new domestic cities to its schedule as well as destinations in Jamaica and Dominican Republic. It was recently granted access to four Mexican cities as well.

In the second quarter, the airline earned C$12 million ($11 million), or 9 Canadian cents a share, down from a year-earlier C$22 million, or 17 Canadian cents a share.

It took a C$31.9 million charge to terminate the contract it had with Travelport LLC to develop a new electronic reservation system. WestJet announced the charge last month.

Excluding the writedown, operating earnings jumped 58 percent to C$61.1 million.

Revenue rose 19 percent to C$504.8 million from C$424 million in the second quarter of 2006.

Durfy said the results showed the effectiveness of the company's strategy of shifting its capacity to domestic markets from transborder ones in the summer months to take advantage of higher yields.

Besides the jump in load factors and capacity, the company also benefited from a slight drop in fuel costs that was driven by the strength in the Canadian dollar, executives said.

WestJet shares were off 55 Canadian cents at C$14.95 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Wednesday, which is about flat with their level at the start of the year.

($1=$1.06 Canadian)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:21 AM   #646
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

aviation in asia is MUCH different to aviation in North America...North American carries follow a very cost effective structure (well not really...)..in the sense that they must deliver their product at the lowest cost to them. This means cutting back on the bells and whistles. THis is since the North American market is driven more by the price of the flight rather than the luxury. North American carriers are taking AWAY their first class cabin, where as Asian carriers are pushing the envelope as to what first class means. So you would think that North American airlines, with their mind on cost WOULD be making more money than Asian airlines? BUT the problem lies in the longer history of most north american airlines, the enviorment, as well as the passengers.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:27 AM   #647
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

I heard that the 333s are starting in September or around there...anyone want to clarrify?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:53 AM   #648
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

Actually, North American airlines face a rigid cost structure. Labour unions and pensions make wages a fixed cost, whereas in Asia, airlines can fire employees when times go bad without worrying about labour repercussions, which means wages become a variable cost. As a result, Asian carriers can withstand downturns a lot better as they adjust according to the market. As a result, quality service carriers can still be profitable.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM   #649
Canadian74

Also, labor is cheaper in Asia compared to N.A.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM   #650
Canadian74

The article above also mentions the fleet will have 111 aircraft by 2013.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM   #651
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Also, labor is cheaper in Asia compared to N.A.
You think labour is cheaper in Japan, Hong Kong, Korea than in Canada?
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM   #652
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
Yes, North America is developed, but you just can't compete with Asia. They got the motivation to be the best in everything while in North America, people just have a more functional atitude where if it works, thats all that matters, making something beyond functional is seen as waste. They even left European airlines in the dust. I don't know why the rest of the world cant compete, but thats just how things are.
Thats most of the problem right there. It doesn't necessarily work! So maybe it is time to fix it.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #653
irutavias
cerebral fallout

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
You're kidding right?
North American comparison using similar sized narrow-bodied aircraft.
US has 30" pitch on their A320s
UA has 31" pitch on their A320s (not incl. Economy Plus)
NW has 31" pitch on their A320s
CO has 31" pitch on their B737s
AA has 31" pitch on their B737s
DL has 32" pitch on their B737s
AC has 32" pitch on their A320s
does pitch represent length of legroom?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM   #654
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by irutavias View Post
does pitch represent length of legroom?
Essentially yes...
Seat Pitch is the distance between the rows of seats
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM   #655
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
They seem to have the ugliest cabin crew possible. All of the flight attendants appear to be very wrinkly or are men pretending to be women.
So true! I was talking about this the other day with a friend of mine who was visiting from Germany.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #656
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

For any of you who think NA airline crews suck, consider Lynx Jet!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM   #657
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
So true! I was talking about this the other day with a friend of mine who was visiting from Germany.
Ever been on BA? That's pretty scary.

The thing is with most airlines (with unionized labour) is that the younger prettier girls get the not so glamourous routes since the old craggy ones get the first shot at the lucrative international routes.
I've encountered many cute AC F/A's on my flights to YYJ, YEG, YKA, YCD etc. and very few on my LHR, FRA runs.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #658
iheartcities

Likes (Received): 4

Being the best airline in North America really doesn't mean a lot
iheartcities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #659
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:

Has nothing to do with development these days. Many African carriers are better than US/European carriers, yet that doesn't make Kenya or South Africa richer. The North American market is the most deregulated in the world, meaning that the tough competition forces airlines to concentrate only on price. Aside from that, they have had 5 straight years of losses, which have made them cut back even more. Now they are finally back in profit, and improvements are coming as we speak. DL and UA have both announced very good enhancements. DL is installing PTV's on every aircraft, including on domestic planes.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #660
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Actually, North American airlines face a rigid cost structure. Labour unions and pensions make wages a fixed cost, whereas in Asia, airlines can fire employees when times go bad without worrying about labour repercussions, which means wages become a variable cost. As a result, Asian carriers can withstand downturns a lot better as they adjust according to the market. As a result, quality service carriers can still be profitable.
The Asian sector is also alot more regulated than the US one. This guarantees more profits, and makes it easier for airlines run by the state to succeed. Consider US airlines before deregulation. It was no coincidence that back then they were considered the best in the world.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air canada, canada, north american airlines, star alliance