daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #681
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 814

Its hilarious that AC is voted the best North American airline! Just shows how dreadfully most North American airlines treat their passengers. Once upon a time most Canadians were proud of this airline, but now if you mention their name many people will just pour out bad experience stories. Only the international flights are reasonable (hot food still available and included in the price), but prices are high and service standards barely match other airlines (US airlines excepted) and often fall way below those of competitors airlines.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #682
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Its hilarious that AC is voted the best North American airline! Just shows how dreadfully most North American airlines treat their passengers. Once upon a time most Canadians were proud of this airline, but now if you mention their name many people will just pour out bad experience stories. Only the international flights are reasonable (hot food still available and included in the price), but prices are high and service standards barely match other airlines (US airlines excepted) and often fall way below those of competitors airlines.
Yet most Canadians seem to think this is acceptable and put up with it. Go figure.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #683
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Lee: Airlines don't hire foreign crews at low wages because there are probably laws banning it. Why should you receive low prices off the back of what amounts to slave wages? Hell, why not get rid of wages altogether and we can go back to the days of Gone With the Wind or for that matter, present day, United Arab Emirates. Then we can all live wealthier, just like Scarlett.
I don't mean very low wages. I mean instead of paying a pilot $150k, you pay him $50 k. Since they are used to low wages, they would appreciate it.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #684
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

In my experience most of those people who "pour out bad experience stories" are the one's who travel once or twice a year on the lowest consolidated fares and expect the service levels of J of F class. Ask the people (like myself) who fly regularly with many different airlines what their experiences have been like and I think you will hear a different story.
AC bashing is a national obession.

BTW I am not affiliated with AC in any way...
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #685
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Hey if there is one thing we Canadians are good at, its complaining.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #686
Canadian74

Likes (Received): 1

I flew them a lot of times in the past month, and they were pretty good most of the time. Some flights were even better than WS.
Canadian74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #687
Canadian74

Air Canada Profit Up 2% For Q2 2007

Full story...

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/new...archived=False
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #688
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18165

Air Canada looks west with new fleet of 777s
11 August 2007
The Globe and Mail

New Boeing 777s being delivered to Air Canada will allow the airline to shift some seat capacity from its underperforming British routes to the bustling Asia-Pacific region.

Heightened competition on transatlantic routes, including from British Airways PLC and low-cost carriers, have put downward pressure on fares to Britain, Air Canada chief executive officer Montie Brewer said yesterday.

Hassles with handling luggage at London's Heathrow Airport and higher departure taxes in that key United Kingdom hub also slowed the growth in demand even as various carriers added capacity.

Air Canada's strategy is to deploy Boeing 777s primarily on crucial routes to China and Japan. The airline has taken delivery of seven Boeing 777s and another 10 will be on their way by the end of 2008.

“The only place where we will see big weakness is the U.K.,” Mr. Brewer said, after Air Canada announced that stellar Canadian performance helped boost second-quarter profit by 2 per cent, offsetting tepid transatlantic routes.

The carrier posted a profit of $155-million for the three months ended June 30, compared with $152-million in the same period last year.

Air Canada is 75 per cent owned by ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., which also owns 49 per cent of Jazz Air Income Fund and 31.1 per cent of Aeroplan Income Fund.

Air Canada shares fell yesterday to $11.50, their lowest close since the airline's initial public offering at $21 last November.

Montreal-based ACE, which plans to wind down as a holding company by mid-2008, posted a second-quarter profit of $118-million, down from $236-million a year earlier.

In winding down, “in terms of getting excess cash back to our shareholders, it could well be that a share buyback by ACE could be the best option,” ACE CEO Robert Milton said.

ACE cautioned that its latest profit can't be compared directly with last year's second quarter since it has been gradually selling off stakes in Aeroplan and Jazz.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #689
greenboxed

Likes (Received): 0

Wow....I thought AC was having really strong passenger loads on flights to London.....
greenboxed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #690
reinhart87
heal the world

Location: Jakarta, Seattle, Toronto, Groningen, Leuven, Tilburg, Rotterdam, Shanghai
Likes (Received): 10

hi guys sorry if these questions have been asked before... i am sincerely sorry if this is the wrong thread to come up with questions

this coming winter holiday (December), i will be coming home to Toronto from Amsterdam Schiphol. i have been searching on aircanada.com and many travel agents and it seems that I only have three choices which are:
1. amsterdam-london (change terminal)-toronto-london-amsterdam
2. amsterdam-munich-toronto-munich-amsterdam
3. amsterdam-frankfurt-toronto-frankfurt-amsterdam

if you were me, which one would you choose? only the london sector is flown by B77L and the other sectors are flown either with A330, A340, or B767. Are the B767s that serve munich-toronto and frankfurt-toronto done with project XM??

thank you so much in advance )
reinhart87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #691
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

You really seem to want to fly Air Canada... hahahaha

I would suggest no frills and KLM... Direct flight
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #692
Canadian74

Me too... Fly KLM.
And AC 767s with XM are operated on random routes, no specific routes. Only 6 have them so far, so your chances are very low. If you really want to try out the XM cabin, take the London or Frankfurt route with the 777.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #693
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I've been on the 767 for the YYZ-LHR route and it was a horrible experience. The planes were very old and like most of AC planes even now, don't have PTVs.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #694
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Jazz looks beyond Canadian skies
Company looks for international partnerships to expand its opportunities

14 August 2007
The Globe and Mail

Over the past nine months, Jazz Air Income Fund has been a surprisingly strong performer in the topsy-turvy airline sector. Now, the Halifax-based carrier has intrigued analysts with plans to spread its wings by pursuing small equity stakes in regional airlines in foreign countries.

Jazz, a regional feeder airline in Canada that also operates transborder flights into the United States, reckons that it has the expertise to help launch small carriers overseas, or lend a hand with expansion.

Its sister company, Air Canada, has been a bust with investors since the national carrier launched its initial public offering at $21 a share last November. But Jazz has climbed 13.5 per cent since then, when factoring in monthly distributions.

Jazz's stock market value is $1-billion, up from $961-million last November. That move up contrasts with Air Canada, whose market capitalization is now $1.1-billion, down from $2.1-billion at its IPO.

Jazz chief executive officer Joseph Randell revealed last Thursday that the airline has held “very preliminary” talks with several companies abroad.

While Jazz isn't seeking to make a “major equity investment,” the carrier has “some talent that we feel we have available to exploit those opportunities,” Mr. Randell said during a conference call. “We have a very good reputation with others around the world.”

The airline is open to taking “an equity interest in an operation in return for certain support services or other things we may be able to provide,” he said, declining to elaborate.

National Bank Financial Inc. analyst David Newman gave the thumbs-up to Jazz's offshore ambitions.

“We believe Jazz could aid in the establishment, improvement and/or growth of other carriers across the globe,” he said in a research note.

The move has the potential to “add an element of growth to the story, complementing its solid yield,” Mr. Newman said. He has an “outperform” rating and 52-week target price of $10 for Jazz.

Michael Mills, an analyst with Beacon Securities Ltd., said that while “growth from the current Jazz platform is fairly limited” in North America, “there are apparently seven or eight potential opportunities that are being investigated overseas.”

Mr. Mills has a “buy” rating and a 52-week target price of $9.50 for Jazz.

Jazz units have risen 4.2 per cent since closing at $7.83 on Nov. 17, when Air Canada launched its IPO. In addition, Jazz unitholders have collected monthly distributions totalling 73.24 cents a unit over the nine-month span, boosting the total return to 13.5 per cent during that period.

Jazz's annual yield is 12.3 per cent, based on distributions of $1 a year and yesterday's close of $8.16 on the Toronto Stock Exchange. By contrast, Air Canada shares have tumbled 46 per cent, hammered by high fuel prices, lagging operating margins, fare wars and expenses related to introducing new aircraft while retiring older models.

Jazz has weathered the storm because it enjoys shelter under a so-called capacity purchase agreement with Air Canada. Jazz is paid by Air Canada to operate flights.

Jazz officials note that the regional carrier is insulated from most variable costs. Air Canada is responsible for paying for Jazz's fuel costs, airport user fees and navigation fees. Jazz covers wages, salaries, maintenance and aircraft leases.

In effect, Jazz serves as a charter airline for Air Canada, collecting fee. ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. owns 75 per cent of Air Canada and 49 per cent of Jazz.

Harry Levant, who provides research reports to brokers on IncomeTrustResearch.com, said Jazz is becoming “its own entity,” with ACE gradually reducing its equity interest. ACE sold a 20.3-per-cent stake in Jazz's IPO at $10 a unit in February, 2006. Investors who bought into the Jazz IPO are still down 4.5 per cent today, including distributions.

Mr. Levant said he likes the stability built into the capacity purchase agreement until 2015, which allows Jazz to earn a base return of 14.09 per cent.

“If Air Canada volumes drop, then purchases from Jazz are at risk, but Air Canada has committed to a base amount” of flights, which are sold in increments known as block hours, he added.

Old August 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #695
reinhart87
heal the world

Location: Jakarta, Seattle, Toronto, Groningen, Leuven, Tilburg, Rotterdam, Shanghai

the reason why i decided to take aircanada no matter what happens is because it's the cheapest for my always-broke-student-pocket ) i toke Martinair last year but it's too bad they don't have winter service to Canada. KLM and Lufthansa are above 650 euro roundtrip and I can find the same itinerary with aircanada for only 550-590 euro.. well anyway, thanks for all the advices. i really appreciate it! i guess tasting how bad aircanada's 767 would be an exciting experience on its own )))
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #696
Canadian74

What about AC's 777 on LHR and FRA routes?
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #697
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhart87 View Post
the reason why i decided to take aircanada no matter what happens is because it's the cheapest for my always-broke-student-pocket ) i toke Martinair last year but it's too bad they don't have winter service to Canada. KLM and Lufthansa are above 650 euro roundtrip and I can find the same itinerary with aircanada for only 550-590 euro.. well anyway, thanks for all the advices. i really appreciate it! i guess tasting how bad aircanada's 767 would be an exciting experience on its own )))
I thought Transat and Zoom probably have the cheaper alternative you were seeking.

Old August 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #698
reinhart87
heal the world

yeah guys i managed to fly amsterdam-munich-toronto-london-amsterdam so i get to taste the infamous AC's 767 and her newer sister AC's 77W... i am pretty excited now since it will be my first flight with AC. i will definitely let you guys know how it goes. btw, thanks for all the advice
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #699
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Air Canada can force pilots to retire at 60
17 August 2007

MONTREAL (AP) - Two former Air Canada pilots didn't face age discrimination when Canada's largest airline forced them to retire at age 60, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ruled Friday.

The tribunal said the position of pilot carries significant prestige and neither man experienced "age-related disadvantages or negative stereotyping."

"The tribunal finds that age 60 is the normal age of retirement ... for persons working in positions similar to the positions of the complainants," said the judgment.

"As such, the mandatory retirement policy of Air Canada does not constitute a discriminatory practice under the Canadian Human Rights Act."

The decision followed hearings that took place in January and March.

George Vilven of Airdrie, Alberta, and Robert Neil Kelly of Oakwood, Ontario, launched their challenges after the airline forced them into retirement when they turned 60 in 2003 and 2005 respectively.

Supporting their cause was a group of pilots who belong to the Fly Past 60 Coalition.

Vilven said he's disappointed with the ruling and plans to appeal, possibly all the way to the Supreme Court.

"I thought maybe it would happen that way but I just assumed that in Canada this wouldn't be the case," he said in an interview.

The 62-year-old said the policy is out of synch with Canadian society and the airlines of many other countries.

Old August 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #700
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Jazz looks beyond Canadian skies
Company looks for international partnerships to expand its opportunities

14 August 2007
The Globe and Mail

Over the past nine months, Jazz Air Income Fund has been a surprisingly strong performer in the topsy-turvy airline sector. Now, the Halifax-based carrier has intrigued analysts with plans to spread its wings by pursuing small equity stakes in regional airlines in foreign countries.

Jazz, a regional feeder airline in Canada that also operates transborder flights into the United States, reckons that it has the expertise to help launch small carriers overseas, or lend a hand with expansion.

Its sister company, Air Canada, has been a bust with investors since the national carrier launched its initial public offering at $21 a share last November. But Jazz has climbed 13.5 per cent since then, when factoring in monthly distributions.

Jazz's stock market value is $1-billion, up from $961-million last November. That move up contrasts with Air Canada, whose market capitalization is now $1.1-billion, down from $2.1-billion at its IPO.

Jazz chief executive officer Joseph Randell revealed last Thursday that the airline has held “very preliminary” talks with several companies abroad.

While Jazz isn't seeking to make a “major equity investment,” the carrier has “some talent that we feel we have available to exploit those opportunities,” Mr. Randell said during a conference call. “We have a very good reputation with others around the world.”

The airline is open to taking “an equity interest in an operation in return for certain support services or other things we may be able to provide,” he said, declining to elaborate.

National Bank Financial Inc. analyst David Newman gave the thumbs-up to Jazz's offshore ambitions.

“We believe Jazz could aid in the establishment, improvement and/or growth of other carriers across the globe,” he said in a research note.

The move has the potential to “add an element of growth to the story, complementing its solid yield,” Mr. Newman said. He has an “outperform” rating and 52-week target price of $10 for Jazz.

Michael Mills, an analyst with Beacon Securities Ltd., said that while “growth from the current Jazz platform is fairly limited” in North America, “there are apparently seven or eight potential opportunities that are being investigated overseas.”

Mr. Mills has a “buy” rating and a 52-week target price of $9.50 for Jazz.

Jazz units have risen 4.2 per cent since closing at $7.83 on Nov. 17, when Air Canada launched its IPO. In addition, Jazz unitholders have collected monthly distributions totalling 73.24 cents a unit over the nine-month span, boosting the total return to 13.5 per cent during that period.

Jazz's annual yield is 12.3 per cent, based on distributions of $1 a year and yesterday's close of $8.16 on the Toronto Stock Exchange. By contrast, Air Canada shares have tumbled 46 per cent, hammered by high fuel prices, lagging operating margins, fare wars and expenses related to introducing new aircraft while retiring older models.

Jazz has weathered the storm because it enjoys shelter under a so-called capacity purchase agreement with Air Canada. Jazz is paid by Air Canada to operate flights.

Jazz officials note that the regional carrier is insulated from most variable costs. Air Canada is responsible for paying for Jazz's fuel costs, airport user fees and navigation fees. Jazz covers wages, salaries, maintenance and aircraft leases.

In effect, Jazz serves as a charter airline for Air Canada, collecting fee. ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. owns 75 per cent of Air Canada and 49 per cent of Jazz.

Harry Levant, who provides research reports to brokers on IncomeTrustResearch.com, said Jazz is becoming “its own entity,” with ACE gradually reducing its equity interest. ACE sold a 20.3-per-cent stake in Jazz's IPO at $10 a unit in February, 2006. Investors who bought into the Jazz IPO are still down 4.5 per cent today, including distributions.

Mr. Levant said he likes the stability built into the capacity purchase agreement until 2015, which allows Jazz to earn a base return of 14.09 per cent.

“If Air Canada volumes drop, then purchases from Jazz are at risk, but Air Canada has committed to a base amount” of flights, which are sold in increments known as block hours, he added.
I think Jazz would be better off fixing/upgrading its service/routes internally first!

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
air canada, canada, north american airlines, star alliance