daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #221
chromebowler

Likes (Received): 26

Only 63 stories? Even with a 300' spire, the stories are going to be damn near 20' tall. How does that make sense? The Trade Towers were around 1400 and had over 100 stories.
chromebowler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #222
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Holy cow you guys can be difficult.....
Speaking of difficult! Accept the fact that this building will NEVER be America's tallest building! End of story.

So now and I promise this won't hurt.........repeat after me..........the reporter was WRONG.

There now, don't you feel better?
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #223
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
I don't think it's ugly. I think it's very modern and it soars.
Finally, back on topic, LOL.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #224
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Actually, and with no disrespect, it goes more to the fact that only about .001% of the population gives a rat's butt about stuff like this. Here's where the info is correct. Sears is the tallest in the nation NOW, if this building miraculously appeared NOW, it would be taller. Thus, tallest in the nation. See, the report is totally factual.

But really....... as a statistical comparison against the total populace.............no one cares!

Let's get back to argueing about whether this thing will get built and discussing how ugly it is, LOL.

Bummer - nothing's changed on it's design. It must be me but when someone is promised something new and increasing what might be perceived as some new bragging issue, like "I've got the biggest (insert here)", it becomes something to defend no matter how ugly, LOL.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #225
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

Everyone thought the Comcast Center was going to be ugly and look at it now. It turned out to be much better than the rendering. I'm pretty sure this will be the same . When Philly builds, it builds right.
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #226
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

Funny, It looks as though someone with a giant knife
sliced off a corner, then stuck it on top...
For such a tall building, could have been designed so much better.

What is it with these "supertall" skyscrapers only having 60-70 stories?
This building should have at least 100.

Yes I know... lets plop a large stick on top and now we have impressive height !!!
Looks like the thing to do, Look at New York their getting good at it !?!?

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #227
PhillyGuy85

Likes (Received): 10

Mon, Jun. 30, 2008

Is Center City Philadelphia ready to take on a ... SUPER SKYSCRAPER

By Linda Loyd

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

So, would it be cool to have a super-tall skyscraper - the fourth-tallest building in the nation - in the heart of downtown Philadelphia? How likely is it to happen?

The developers spent $30 million to acquire the land, a parking lot, at 18th and Arch Streets. Design plans are in hand; there appears to be some political support. The owners have begun discussions with potential tenants for the American Commerce Center, a block from the new Comcast Center.

At 1,510 feet, it would be dramatically taller than the just-completed Comcast building, the city's current tallest building at 975 feet.

Philadelphia City Councilman Darrell L. Clarke recently introduced a measure that would lift the height limit at the site to accommodate an office tower spire, with 63 floors, a 320-room hotel, a movie theater and retail shops. Mayor Nutter favors the project.

But there are many "ifs" - ranging from zoning to attracting a major tenant. Developers Joseph Grasso and Garrett Miller of Walnut Street Capital L.L.C., a Philadelphia firm, acknowledge that everything is preliminary.

"The best-case scenario is 36 months out to begin construction," Grasso said.

If built, the $1 billion, 2.2-million-square-foot skyscraper - taller than the Empire State Building - would rank fourth behind Chicago's current tallest, Sears Tower (1,730 feet with antenna), the Chicago Spire (2,000 feet) under construction, and New York's coming Freedom Tower (1,776 feet).

Here's the outlook for Philadelphia's tallest building's getting off the ground:

FIVE REASONS IT WILL HAPPEN

1. The city is on a roll. More young professionals are choosing to live in the city. The Comcast Center shows it can be done. BlackRock Inc., a global investment-management and advisory company, is seriously eyeing Philadelphia because of the new Cira building proposed for the 30th Street Station area.

The 18th and Arch site is the "last remaining large office site" in the West Market Street corridor, said Paul Levy, executive director of the Central Philadelphia Development Corp. "It's unencumbered, easy to build on," and zoning would permit a large office and retail building.

2. Center City office space is tight. There is a "need for large blocks of office space for growth," said George Cauffman, senior vice president and leasing agent at CB Richard Ellis Group Inc. Rents in Philadelphia remain a bargain compared with Washington, Boston and New York. The high-technology and environmentally "green" building could entice out-of-towners and suburban businesses. Center City's office-vacancy rate, now about 8.9 percent, is expected to drop below 8 percent by the end of the year.

3. The project is supported by pro-growth and development-friendly Nutter, who signaled that he intended to be a devotee of smart urban design by recharging the ignored-for-the-ages City Planning Commission.

4. Soaring gasoline prices favor urban development. Situated in the heart of a lucrative metro region, blessed with its transit system and regional highway network, the site is accessible to a three-state workforce. Major employers considering Blue Bell or Exton might find strategic advantages to being downtown. Stories about the death of the suburbs are already appearing in the national press.

5. A psychology that bigger is better, and tall impressive buildings create momentum. A view that if the city wants to move forward and continue to grow, it must build super-tall towers. The no-higher-than-Billy Penn's-hat thing is a distant memory.

FIVE REASONS IT WON'T HAPPEN

1. Failure to secure an anchor tenant. In the 1980s, buildings went up speculatively, and developers got financing and built without lead tenants in place. "That really doesn't happen anymore," said John Grady, senior vice president at Philadelphia Industrial Development Corp., a quasi-public city agency. Probably 60 percent of the new building might have to be pre-leased to secure financing. Can the developers find a (major) tenant to pay a rent - probably $40 to $50 per square foot - to support construction costs and allow them to secure financing? "That's the fundamental issue with any development project," Grady said.

2. The existing Philadelphia tax structure and business-privilege tax - without extending tax breaks - discourage new businesses. "The business-privilege tax is a very confusing tax; it's onerous," developer Miller said. "I don't think you can flat-out abolish it, but you can take an incremental approach. All net new jobs and anybody coming into the city creating new jobs would not pay the BPT, but would pay wage taxes."

3. Bad loans have created a banking crisis. "This is a very, very challenging time with regard to the lending institutions," Grasso said. "But if we land the right tenant, we believe we will be able to get the right kind of financing. There is certainly money out there for the right kind of deals."

4. There will be skepticism about the development team, which hasn't done a construction project of this magnitude before.

Cauffman, of CB Richard Ellis, said the developers, including private-equity partner Multi-Employer Property Trust, are "a solid ownership entity" and "very forward-thinking. They have surprised people. They went out and bought this piece of ground - it's a great piece. They are doing all the right things."

5. Residents' objections or city planning concerns about the design and density could hurt. Neighbors have questions about the traffic, congestion and crowds the building will draw. Others wonder how such a tall building may obscure light and views. If the shadows go all the way to Logan Square and the fountains, what does that do to the character of the neighborhood?

"We expect to have meetings through the summer on these nitty-gritty issues," said Rob Stuart, president of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association. "Can the neighborhood absorb something as big as the original World Trade Center? This is by no means a done deal."

Source - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/busin...kyscraper.html
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #228
PhillyGuy85

American Commerce Center Promotional Video!!!

THIS IS TIGHT!!!! Thanks to modworldwide for posting it!

http://www.youtube.com/modworldwide
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #229
The_BigGeo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

As someone from the Philadelphia area, I hate to say this but I doubt this thing will get built. Philadelphia city is in decline (even though the suburbs are growing) and it just has too many problems: crime, inefficiency, bad traffic, atrocious public transportation, and some other stuff. And taken the fact that there is little parking space in center city. Adding this building with all the office space and such will just add more commuters causing burden on an already sub-par transit system. But other than that, Philly still has some uniqueness going for it.
The_BigGeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #230
SouthFloridaBoy

Likes (Received): 33

WOW....NEEDS SOME DESPERATE IMPROVMENT!! GOOD HEIGHT THOUGH! BUT THIS JUST WON'T LOOK RIGHT IN PHILLY, SORRY!
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #231
tahir.DDS

Likes (Received): 3

i love this you tube ,thanks phillyguy85,and the_bigGeo be full of hope ,look at comcast is standing now full of lights.

and thanks to both of you again
tahir.DDS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #232
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

BOGUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_BigGeo View Post
As someone from the Philadelphia area, I hate to say this but I doubt this thing will get built. Philadelphia city is in decline (even though the suburbs are growing) and it just has too many problems: crime, inefficiency, bad traffic, atrocious public transportation, and some other stuff. And taken the fact that there is little parking space in center city. Adding this building with all the office space and such will just add more commuters causing burden on an already sub-par transit system. But other than that, Philly still has some uniqueness going for it.
How can you say that? Don't you know that crime statistics show the crime rates are going down?! Public transportation - pretty good, but not great. Better than NYC, Miami, LA, and many other cities. I was just in Center City today and now that the Comcast tower is complete I noted the construction on the Murano, the one on Rittenhouse Square, the Ritz Carlton, two new buildings on Market Street near Drexel, the expansion of the convention center, a new tower going up on the Delaware just north of Spring Garden.

Philadelphia area in fact has more colleges and universities than Boston. Penn, Drexel, Temple, USP have building projects that will cost not millions but billions. Site clearance has started for Cira Two project.

It was just a couple of years ago National Geographic Traveller magazine on it's cover declared that Philly was America's Next Great City.

But I acknowlege we have problems. Our streets are still dirty. While the populations in Center City, Society Hill and University City is growing, the rest of the city is losing population. Philly in decline? I don't think so ... it's just a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, spurts of growth and optimism and disappointments and stagnation. Remember: the whole country is in a recession and we are better off than a lot of cities.
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #233
The_BigGeo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Just to let you know that I AM a Philadelphian. I have lived in this area for 17 years now and have seen and heard just about everything all the way thru the 90's and this decade. I can memorize the streets for most of the city and I have seen and spent time in EVERY neighborhood and section of the city PLUS most of the suburbs in PA and NJ. Yes, the city has A FEW good universities (I especially like Penn and Temple), rich history, a considerable business area, and a world class symphony orchestra, but these are only concentrated in a few areas. The city is just a giant decaying ghetto with really nice areas scattered across. Also not to mention that commuting into the city (which I do everyday) can be a pain in the ass if you live in west philly or Delaware County (which I do). And what's up with that EL project that takes forever and it still looks like crap? I went to Temple University, just fyi. Many of my classmates have left because they couldn't find jobs in Philly and I'm having difficulties too. I agree SEPTA has great coverage with its extensive commuter rail and bus, but services are sub-par for the most part. It's not even close to New York and certainly not better. Just a last note, the city isn't safe after 9-10 pm and unless you like bars and clubbing, forget about going out at night. South St. is fun only the first few times. After that it becomes pretty lame. Now it's one place I try to AVOID. That also goes for Penn's Landing, Fairmount Park, and all other "attractions." BTW I do like living here it's just things haven't been going too well recently. They say crime is down but I turn on the news and...voila! 5 shootings in ONE DAY. And I have been assaulted once and harassed numerous times, all in CENTER CITY. Nuff said.
The_BigGeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #234
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Gives the skyline a needed boost, and a balancing focal point. now we need a few more tall ones, unique too.

- Andy
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #235
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_BigGeo View Post
It'll be built. Either sooner or later, but it will. Philadelphia needs to make a move. On the decline? I disagree. SEPTA simply needs to put streetcars back out there in the numbers they used to have, add articulated busses, and increase rail service. Also, public beautification projects wouldn't hurt either.

- Andy
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #236
phillybud

I am not looking to pick a fight with anyone. I do not think Philly is in decline. In the 1980's, noted author Bill Bryson called Philly "the ugliest city in America." I am sure he wouldn't say that about the Quaker city today.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #237
phillybud

To me - and yes it sounds silly! - Philadelphia experienced a moment of great triumph when the painting "The Gross Clinic" by Thomas Eakins was going to be sold to a Walmart heiress for $68 million to be put in her museum in Arkansas. Philly was given a ridiculously brief amount of time - something like 60 days - to surpass that amount to keep the picture here .... and guess what? We did it! 68 million for a single painting by an American artist!

When the Perelman Cancer Treatment Center is completed at the Univ. of PA's Medical Center, they say it will be one of the top 5 in North America in cancer research and treatment ...

To me, these things say that people out there love this city and are will to invest in it ...

Decline? Detroit, Buffalo, New Orleans ... they may be in decline. Not Philly. Besides we have the best Flower Show in the country, and the second best Lesbian and Gay Film Festival (surpassing NYC) on the continent.

If you're tired of South Street ... try No Libs.
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #238
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

philadelphia has been loosing population for a long time. in the past 30 years philly has lost half a million and the crime has consistently been very bad.

because of that i think most people will agree that philly is in decline LOL
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #239
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
How can you say that? Don't you know that crime statistics show the crime rates are going down?! Public transportation - pretty good, but not great. Better than NYC, Miami, LA, and many other cities. I was just in Center City today and now that the Comcast tower is complete I noted the construction on the Murano, the one on Rittenhouse Square, the Ritz Carlton, two new buildings on Market Street near Drexel, the expansion of the convention center, a new tower going up on the Delaware just north of Spring Garden.

Philadelphia area in fact has more colleges and universities than Boston. Penn, Drexel, Temple, USP have building projects that will cost not millions but billions. Site clearance has started for Cira Two project.

It was just a couple of years ago National Geographic Traveller magazine on it's cover declared that Philly was America's Next Great City.

But I acknowlege we have problems. Our streets are still dirty. While the populations in Center City, Society Hill and University City is growing, the rest of the city is losing population. Philly in decline? I don't think so ... it's just a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, spurts of growth and optimism and disappointments and stagnation. Remember: the whole country is in a recession and we are better off than a lot of cities.
Philly public transit is a far cry from that of NYC. For a city of it's stature, size, and age, it needs a helluva lot more public transit investment from the state and Feds (don't get me started on LA ). Most of the projects you named are residential and smaller-scale private and university-funded. To support this gosh-awful ugly building, Philly will need to attract a HIGH-level company willing to move thousands of workers into the city. I agree that Philly is not in decline, but it is still attempting to sputter back to life--with limited success thus far--and in some places truly is still a war zone. The city was lucky that Comcast needed a new headquarters and was already located in the area, but I'm definitely not convinced that at this time or in the next 5 years Philly can attract something just as large or larger. This building, as it stands now, won't be built, I'm sure of it. But perhaps, if the state and city provide 90% of the financing.....

Regarding The_BigGeo's comments: The suburbs--oh man, the suburbs--are certainly still "growing", but they are in a decline across the country. Young people these days are settling in the cities, and hopefully most of them will eventually decide to stay there when starting a family. Also, parking is not what Center City needs more of--it's more investment in public transit that will get these new workers to and from their (hopefully nearby) homes.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #240
PhillyGuy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahir.DDS View Post
i love this you tube ,thanks phillyguy85,and the_bigGeo be full of hope ,look at comcast is standing now full of lights.

and thanks to both of you again

UR WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia