daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM   #281
chicagoan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Seriously, you need to get out more!

I see them on top of towers throughout Manhattan.

In a concrete jungle, we need gardens in the sky.

I'd like to believe that most civilized people actually enjoy grass, trees, fountains and fresh air.
Ha well I guess easy for me to say, living in the suburbs, maybe I would just rather go to a tradtional park on the ground if I want to see trees. I see them in Chicago too, but I think most of the time those are just pools with some greens around them
chicagoan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM   #282
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoan View Post
Ha well I guess easy for me to say, living in the suburbs, maybe I would just rather go to a tradtional park on the ground if I want to see trees. I see them in Chicago too, but I think most of the time those are just pools with some greens around them
The grass, trees, fountains and such are a part of our urban surroundings.

By adding those basic elements to our concrete cities, we are humanizing our world and making it more enjoyable.

The rooftop swimming pools you refer to are quite common in big cities, but they are often restricted to private access.

These public gardens, such as the one proposed for Philadelphia's American Commerce Center would extend the natural elements of life to Center City.

While some developments try, very few exceed.

For example, the Commerce Center on West Market Street has a fountain between two twin towers, but the missing elements are obvious in the concrete surroundings.

For the average pedestrian, the Commerce Center appears bleak and unfriendly.

Not surprisingly, this is what is expected -versus- the ACC, where the unexpected is what makes this development unique.

You won't find this at Liberty Place or the Comcast Center.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM   #283
chicagoan

So you said that these skygardens are public, so does that mean anyone off the street is welcome to ride up and enter the gardens? If thats true, thats kinda a cool idea
chicagoan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM   #284
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoan View Post
So you said that these skygardens are public, so does that mean anyone off the street is welcome to ride up and enter the gardens? If thats true, thats kinda a cool idea
The proposed ACC has designed a public garden open to the public along with public restrooms, shops, a supermarket, dining and a proposed extension of the subway concourse.
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #285
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

this needs to get built it would be great for the Philadelphia skyline, it is a beautiful building, i hope it gets passed, i read that it is supposedly in a low rise neighborhood, what kind of low rise neighborhood has a 950 foot skyscraper one block away? seriously
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #286
PhillyGuy85

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolmen View Post
i read that it is supposedly in a low rise neighborhood, what kind of low rise neighborhood has a 950 foot skyscraper one block away? seriously
ROTF!!!!!!! Exactly. I understand that some people live in that area but it's the BUSINESS DISTRICT!
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #287
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
i read that it is supposedly in a low rise neighborhood
Directly across the street from the city's tallest - not exactly a low rise neighborhood, now is it
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #288
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

There is just so much to sift through here... is the project a "Go" or is it a proposal?
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #289
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
There is just so much to sift through here... is the project a "Go" or is it a proposal?
Right now, it is a proposal that is currently undergoing a zoning change request.
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #290
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Quote:
Directly across the street from the city's tallest - not exactly a low rise neighborhood, now is it
wow that is exactly the point i was making i dont get how it is in a lowrise neighborhood when you have a 950 foot skyscraper next door
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #291
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
wow that is exactly the point i was making i dont get how it is in a lowrise neighborhood when you have a 950 foot skyscraper next door
I agree that the argument of being in a low rise neighborhood is absolutely absurd.
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #292
SeattleJim

Likes (Received): 1

From what I have read the developers are trying to land Wachovia Bank as a lead tenant, but given the financial crisis of the banking industry I would suspect this is highly unlikely. Does anyone know the other companies that are being courted? As much as this tower is progress for Philadelphia, I just think the chances are slim this will move forward given the current economic climate.
SeattleJim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #293
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2413

i agree. it'll eventually get built, just not anytime in the next 3 years anyway....
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #294
Grk101
Space for rent

Maybe Verizon? I know in the recent Philadelphia clean up, the mayor and volunteers were wearing Verizon T-shirts.

Beautiful night rendering by the way.
Grk101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #295
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Quote:
I agree that the argument of being in a low rise neighborhood is absolutely absurd.
i just looked up the american commerce center on google and looked in the news section and one article said that people living around the proposed sight rejected it because they lived in a low rise neighborhood, they must have their heads up their asses because they are in the financial district there are high rises wherever you look
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #296
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
.... they must have their heads up their asses because they are in the financial district there are high rises wherever you look
THIS (below) must be one of them....

Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #297
Grk101
Space for rent

Just did a google search, and came up with this:

"and they (comcast) were looking to build another tower on that block for necessary expansion and space for telecom subsidiaries. The talk is Comcast may forego that second tower and possibly lease space at ACC."

Also:

"TDCommerce Bank the American subsidiary to TD Bank of Toronto is looking for a US HQ, currently it has a dual HQ's of Portland ME. and Cherry HIll NJ (former Commerce Bank HQ)"

More of a possibility to me is the TDCommernce story, as the old Commerce Bank headquarters is just across the river in Cherry Hill.
Grk101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #298
fish

Likes (Received):

Sounds promising!
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #299
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Pretty cool tower ,the render looks fantastic with the present skylines , would be awsome to build it there
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #300
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I have very strong feeling the garden part of the tower will be erased on the new drawing board and the final product will look very much like the freedom tower. sky garden is just unneccessary.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia