daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #341
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

i personally like it, it is about time a city of this caliber had a skyline to match!
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #342
ciracentered

Likes (Received): 0

A couple new renders...

All renders here: http://www.lsn4acc.com/Renderings.php?aa=0&si0=0
ciracentered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #343
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

STUNNING RENDERS!!!

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #344
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 663

Those new renders are incredible. If this tower goes ahead, you guys in Philly could be the proud owners of the two finest skyscrapers built in the modern era - Comcast is an absolute beauty, too.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #345
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

The sky garden looks just stunning, but I think the barrier at the edge shoudn't be transparent as it will scare the crap outta everybody even going near the edge. And the barrier should be higher as well, or else it will become a good destination for many people suffering from depression.

Is there photo of the higher sky garden than the one already posted by ciracentered? That sky garden must look even better.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #346
houstonskyscraper
houston skyscraper lover

This is my favorite building in the US.
houstonskyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #347
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

One of the best looking buildings IMO. Very nice!
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #348
Grk101
Space for rent

There was a story on the building today on Fox 29. Nothing really new.

Video at: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/MyF...1&locale=EN-US

Article from: http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...Y&pageId=1.1.1

Quote:
Tallest Skyscraper Proposal Gets Early Reviews

Last Edited: Tuesday, 18 Nov 2008, 7:33 PM EST
Created: Tuesday, 18 Nov 2008, 7:33 PM EST

At 1,500 feet, "The American Commerce Center" would be by far Philadelphia's tallest building and one of the tallest in North America.

PHILADELPHIA -- Plans for a billion-dollar building that would be Center City's tallest skyscraper went before the city's planning commission Tuesday.

Business owners and residents in the area offered differing views of the 1,500-foot tower proposed for 18th and Arch streets.

Some said it's about money and jobs. Others said it's the wrong location at the wrong time, Fox 29's Shawnette Wilson reported.

Joe Beller roused the room Tuesday when he spoke out against where the developer wants to construct the American Commerce Center.

"It's a beautiful thing. I would love to see a building like that somewhere in Philadelphia. That's not the spot," Beller said. "… It's the question of how much can you fit into it. It's a small block from Cuthbert to Arch Street."

A group of women who live in the Kennedy House across from the site said it would block their view of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.

"It would take away all my light. I will have no light in my apartment," said one woman.

Another woman said, "I think that the traffic is a huge problem because the traffic on 18th and 19th Streets is already a problem at rush hour. It's terrible."

Developers said the skyscraper would be a combination of offices, retail and entertainment. It would have open green space, restrooms, parking and access to mass transportation. It would all be for public use. The development also features a concourse with a garden to connect it to neighboring facilities.

Some business owners along with some empty-nesters and young professionals support it.

"And I think those types of people, which are really building the population of Philadelphia, want these kinds of projects," said one business owner. "It's not a build it and sell it. It's a build it and make it happen."
Grk101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #349
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

I love the design. It's good to see it's still being considered. I hope it gets the go ahead sometime next year.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #350
some_stupid_nut

Likes (Received): 3

I don't like it. To me it looks outdated already. Very 80's to me.

Just not for me.
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #351
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Proposed Skyscraper Gets Zoning Approval
By Thom Nickels, For The Bulletin
11/19/2008
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Philadelphia - In a unanimous decision, the City Planning Commission gave its OK to rezone the area around 19th and Arch Street for the proposed American Commerce Center building, a 1,500-foot tall skyscraper that would be the third tallest in the nation when completed.

Advertisement

In a marathon three-and-a-half-hour session, the commission heard testimony from Kohn Pendersen Fox architects, designers of the proposed building, and from investor Hill International attorney, Peter Kelsen. Architect Gene Kohn told the commission that the project comes as the right financial moment for Philadelphia.

"This project will provide much needed jobs, drive new companies to Philadelphia and develop a new energy and optimism for the city," he said.

Mr. Kohn also reminded the commission "all great cities make bold moves," and he reminded members that the building of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway was resisted by people who didn't want to demolish houses and buildings for its construction.

"Can you imagine how things would be had the parkway not been built?" Mr. Kohn asked. "We would have lost a great asset to the city leading to the museum."

Mr. Kohn also mentioned that when City Hall was built, it was the tallest building in the world.

"City Hall was a catalyst of growth. If you look at what Philadelphia was like when City Hall was started, it was all very low-rise. After City Hall came the Bellevue Stratford, built in 1904, and it was a major height building. After that other taller buildings happened."

Gray Smith, an architect retained by the Kennedy House Residents Association, told commission members that the proposed skyscraper was too big, would affect traffic and have adverse effects on the surrounding neighborhood.

"The building would cast solar reflections and glare in relation to other residential buildings," Mr. Smith said.

He also said the present zoning code that prohibits skyscrapers in the area of 19th and Arch, or the parkway should not be altered to accommodate the project.

"The American Commerce building exceeds the 125-foot height requirement ten times," Mr. Smith said. While he said he admired the architecture of the building and thought it had a spectacular design, he said it should be moved to a more appropriate site, such as North Philadelphia.

More than 250 people packed the Friends auditorium, many carrying pro-skyscraper signs. Hill International presented a four-minute, digitally animated video on the building that most in the auditorium applauded. The vast majority of speakers testifying before the commission supported the project.

The commission's unanimous decision means that the area can now be rezoned to accommodate a skyscraper the size of the American Commerce Center. The normal designation for the area, a C-3, would now move up to a C-5 or a C-6. The commission's approval paves the way for the project to get the full approval of City Council before going back to the planning commission for further analysis, such as an examination of vehicle and pedestrian traffic patterns.

The commission's unanimous decision was met with smiles and muted jubilation.

"Everybody understands that anytime you build in the inner city urban environment you are going to affect those who are immediate neighbors, you are going to change their life," Mr. Kohn said. "We believe it will be for the better. We believe that in the end after it's built they will benefit greatly from the enhanced amenities, environment and lightning.

"It will make a major statement for companies outside the city that Philadelphia is a major city, and it is arriving and it is growing."

CHANGE TO APPROVED
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #352
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

I agree, this should probably be changed to Approved after that vote. Awesome! With this vote of confidence it should help in finding tenants for it as well. Which should also help in procuring the financing needed too.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #353
irutavias
cerebral fallout

Likes (Received): 3

Beautiful. Can't wait till they start construction.
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #354
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I agree, this should probably be changed to Approved after that vote. Awesome! With this vote of confidence it should help in finding tenants for it as well. Which should also help in procuring the financing needed too.
I thought financing was already secured via Walnut St. capital. I thought one of the reasons this project was likely to happen was because the money isn't coming from the now crippled banks.

But if this were to be pulled off, the historical significance would be amazing. Philadelphia is a city that was hit hard by the decrease in American manufacturing that started in the late 50s into the 60s. The city has been in a pseudo recession for a long time, but still held on (and avoided the fate of cities like Detroit). A building like this to built in such horrible economic times is amazing. Hopefully it's a starting point of a real change in the overall city's fortunes and will bring more jobs, people and skyscrapers!
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #355
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28195

I agree. I hope construction of this beauty will start soon.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM   #356
Grk101
Space for rent

Wow. Amazing news!
Grk101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM   #357
PhillyGuy85

Likes (Received): 10

Glad to see someone posted the article about the zoning being passed! My computer is down right now but I came across the article in the Daily News this week. Hopefully they will proceed with this project.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #358
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy85 View Post
Glad to see someone posted the article about the zoning being passed! My computer is down right now but I came across the article in the Daily News this week. Hopefully they will proceed with this project.
haha yeah as soon as i saw it i had to post it, anyway by december 2nd we will know for sure its fate
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #359
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

i personally dont like it. it seems as though philly is trying to hard to have a new tall building. they could come up with something so much better than this
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #360
jasonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON-E View Post
OCT 17:
i personally like it, it is about time a city of this caliber had a skyline to match!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON-E View Post
NOV 23:
i personally dont like it. it seems as though philly is trying to hard to have a new tall building. they could come up with something so much better than this
What???

An amazing proposal, and fingers crossed, it'll get built.
jasonite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia