daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #361
revenged!
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

will this be built? considering the financial crisis? i hope so. like the design and i like the city.
revenged! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #362
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3652

Philly reaches new heights

Mixed use tower set to reinvent Philadelphia skyline

What has been a parking lot of over 20 years between 18th and Arch in the centre of Philly might soon become the location of the tallest skyscraper in the East Coast city. The new design promises to join the ranks of superstructures of the world and become the 3rd tallest skyscraper in the USA, behind the Chicago Spire and the Freedom Tower.

Developer Hill International Real Estate Partners has chosen architects Kohn Pedersen Fox to design the ACC Tower: a 1,510 ft tall (460 mt) structure with a 300 ft spire (91 mt ) that would overtake by 535 ft (163 mt) the Comcast Centre, only crowned as the tallest building in Philadelphia in 2007.

The mixed use tower is set to house a 26-storey 5-Star Hotel with 320 rooms and a 3-story lobby, 300,000 sq ft allocated to retail space, a 63-story tower for Class-A Office space, dining facilities, a sky bridge ballroom, roof garden cafes, cinemas, a two-story health club and 360 below-grade parking spaces.

A 2-storey sky bridge will overlook the city streets and connect the tower allocated to office space with the hotel. The scheme will also incorporate a subway stop on site, directly connecting the structure and its employees with Philadelphia’s major subway line.

With its spire piercing the skyline and its glass curtain wall exterior, the American Commerce Center will undoubtedly reinvent the skyline, simultaneously complementing and modernizing the image of Philadelphia’s historic architecture. It is also set to become a major catalyst in the city's transformation from a satellite of New York City or Washington, D.C. into a global capital. Concerns around the current economical climate are being counteracted by the local rising demand for office space thanks to costs being 50% less that the neighbouring New York City.

Set to be progressive in every element of its design, Philadelphia's newest skyscraper is aiming for LEED Gold Certification in an effort to not only mitigate the skyscraper's impact on our resources but also to positively benefit the environment.

The project has raised mixed public opinion and it currently awaiting the official City Council approval. The hearing is scheduled for next week.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #363
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3652

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #364
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Wow nice render! It would have been more realistic though. Still cool.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #365
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

within a few years philadelphia got a new tallest for 2 times, crazy
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #366
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

a few renders I haven't seen here before:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #367
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Hooray for Philadelphia

I like this proposal - if it looks anything like the renders it will be fabulous. However, in the present economic market I am skeptical if projects of this magnitude are going are going to get off the ground.

Philly is a great city and deserves a skyscraper like this!
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #368
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Philly reaches new heights

Mixed use tower set to reinvent Philadelphia skyline

What has been a parking lot of over 20 years between 18th and Arch in the centre of Philly might soon become the location of the tallest skyscraper in the East Coast city. The new design promises to join the ranks of superstructures of the world and become the 3rd tallest skyscraper in the USA, behind the Chicago Spire and the Freedom Tower.

Developer Hill International Real Estate Partners has chosen architects Kohn Pedersen Fox to design the ACC Tower: a 1,510 ft tall (460 mt) structure with a 300 ft spire (91 mt ) that would overtake by 535 ft (163 mt) the Comcast Centre, only crowned as the tallest building in Philadelphia in 2007.

The mixed use tower is set to house a 26-storey 5-Star Hotel with 320 rooms and a 3-story lobby, 300,000 sq ft allocated to retail space, a 63-story tower for Class-A Office space, dining facilities, a sky bridge ballroom, roof garden cafes, cinemas, a two-story health club and 360 below-grade parking spaces.

A 2-storey sky bridge will overlook the city streets and connect the tower allocated to office space with the hotel. The scheme will also incorporate a subway stop on site, directly connecting the structure and its employees with Philadelphia’s major subway line.

With its spire piercing the skyline and its glass curtain wall exterior, the American Commerce Center will undoubtedly reinvent the skyline, simultaneously complementing and modernizing the image of Philadelphia’s historic architecture. It is also set to become a major catalyst in the city's transformation from a satellite of New York City or Washington, D.C. into a global capital. Concerns around the current economical climate are being counteracted by the local rising demand for office space thanks to costs being 50% less that the neighbouring New York City.

Set to be progressive in every element of its design, Philadelphia's newest skyscraper is aiming for LEED Gold Certification in an effort to not only mitigate the skyscraper's impact on our resources but also to positively benefit the environment.

The project has raised mixed public opinion and it currently awaiting the official City Council approval. The hearing is scheduled for next week.

I now how you get that stuff mate

here the link: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10758

SOURCE: worldarchitecturenews.com
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #369
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
The cladding looks like Freedom Tower's. Nice!
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #370
orion.phiaos
bleacher forever!

nice rendition.
orion.phiaos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:08 AM   #371
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

I love this tower, but Im not to sure about the cgreen cladding under the skybridge, thouygh im sure it might look good in real life.
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #372
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

CENTER CITY - December 3, 2008 (WPVI) -- The American Commerce Center moved one step closer to being the tallest building in the city.

On Wednesday, the City Council Committee on Rules met to decide on a zoning change in the city.

The committee voted unanimously, 9-0, in favor of it.

The American Commerce Center would be a 1,500 foot skyscraper built around 18th, 19th, Cuthbert, and Arch Streets.

Back in July, Action News spoke spoke with residents who live near 18th and Arch. The residents said they worried about the building being overwhelming, and how it could block views, even the sun. Supporters of the tower said, however, in a global market place, a tall signature building would attract new employers.

The vote is preliminary and the full City Council's reponse could be given within days.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #373
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Wow, this is getting closer and closer to being fully approved. Maybe will have a groundbreaking in 2009.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #374
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28183

That is another hurdle taken. Hopefully they get the financing soon.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #375
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Maybe will have a groundbreaking in 2009.
It's quite possible. Here's a snippet from www.philly.com that was posted yesterday:

"Council could approve the zoning next week - and it appears a majority of members supports the project. Kelsen said Hill International could submit a plan of development as soon as the spring, with groundbreaking possible late next year if the plans are approved by Council and the City Planning Commission. Completion would be in early 2013."
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #376
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Its coming!: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/galle...d=120408015504
This lady thinks Arch street is a bad place

Too bad when its finally built I'll be in college in another city.

Last edited by Jayayess1190; December 6th, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #377
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

cool, change the title to approved
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #378
kpexpress42

I used to hate this building, but now after taking a closer look at the lower part of the building, I think I like it. But something really needs to be done to the top of the tower to make it look different from what was proposed at WTC in NY. Maybe taper in, or step out (similar to how it steps out at the base).
kpexpress42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #379
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

One day earlier than expected, the Philadelphia City Council voted unanimously to amend the zoning lot at 19th Street and Arch Street, site of the proposed American Commerce Center. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, the council’s Committee on Rules voted 9-0 in favor of the rezoning.

As we wrote last month, this does not grant approval of the KPF-designed project. Instead, it simply changes the zoning of the lot from medium density commercial site with a 125-foot height limit to a super-dense site with no height limits, making way for the 1,500-foot tower, which would far surpass its neighbors. With zoning in hand, it is believed financing and tenants should begin to follow.

Still, the project must return to the Philadelphia City Planning Commission and the council for final approval within the year, lest the rezoning expire.

link: http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #380
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Wow, 9-0 in favor of the tower. Amazing no NIMBY influence where it doesn't belong.
I'm jealous because in NY it would be 9-0 against the tower.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia