daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #381
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3180

True. I can't believe this is going ahead in this financial climate. But then again they seem to build the tallest buildings amidst the worst recessions.

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #382
TooFar
moonage daydream

Likes (Received): 377

How cools is this, two great towers in such a short time frame.

If it is anything as great as the Comcast Center, then we are in a for a real treat!
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #383
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
True. I can't believe this is going ahead in this financial climate. But then again they seem to build the tallest buildings amidst the worst recessions.
This is because raw material in recession times is much pricier than in boom times. Just let Dubai and other booming markets cool down even more and you will see a lot of new towers popping up in the US.
Here in Frankfurt the construction of the new European Central Bank was delayed last summer because of high construction costs which rose from 500 million to 1.4 billion Euros. Just as an example of how costs explode in booming times!
So with a world economy cool-down you can be sure this one will rise!
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #384
Nout
AstroNout

Likes (Received): 1035

This one really crowns Phillies skyline .
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #385
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
This is because raw material in recession times is much pricier than in boom times. Just let Dubai and other booming markets cool down even more and you will see a lot of new towers popping up in the US.
Here in Frankfurt the construction of the new European Central Bank was delayed last summer because of high construction costs which rose from 500 million to 1.4 billion Euros. Just as an example of how costs explode in booming times!
So with a world economy cool-down you can be sure this one will rise!

What I highlighted in red seems to tell me you actually meant the opposite when reading the rest of your statement.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #386
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Oh yes! I thought pricier was the same as cheaper! I only noticed it later!
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #387
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

American Commerce Center.
http://media.philly.com/images/515*4...ercetower1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fURg35N1x6s
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM   #388
towerwizard
I'm A Bad Dream!

Likes (Received): 1

HOLY ............!!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!
Keep them rising...
Check out my music
towerwizard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #389
PhillyGuy85

Likes (Received): 10

American Commerce Center is a go

Fri, Dec. 12, 2008

By CHRIS BRENNAN
Philadelphia Daily News

City Council wrapped up 2008 yesterday with one piece of legislation sure to make the building-trades unions happy and another bill that's already raising concerns.

Council unanimously approved zoning changes needed to build the American Commerce Center, a 1,510-foot tower planned for 18th and Arch streets. The $1.1 billion skyscraper is expected to generate $15 million for the city in taxes on construction work.

Councilman Darrell Clarke also introduced legislation that would allow builders to use PVC pipe in all construction. The plastic pipe, which is cheaper in material and labor to install than metal pipe, can now only be used in new residential construction of buildings with three stories or less.

Peter Kelsen, an attorney for the American Commerce Center, yesterday acknowledged a "challenging" economy might make it difficult for the developers to build the skyscraper. The developer has already spent millions to plan the structure, he added.

"We feel cautiously optimistic that even with these economic times we can bring to bear this project and we have the resources to do so," Kelsen said.

The project calls for a 1,210-foot office tower topped with a 300-foot spire and a 477-foot hotel attached by a sky bridge.

Clarke said he is seeking to expand the use of PVC pipe in all residential and commercial construction because builders have repeatedly complained about the cost of using metal pipe. He has met with leaders of the Plumbers Union, Local 690, which has opposed the use of PVC pipe in city construction because it requires fewer workers.

"We know this is near and dear to their heart," said Clarke, who is working to tailor the legislation's language to ease concerns.

John Kane, Local 690's business manager, said his union opposes the legislation but will work on it with Clarke and others in the plumbing industry.

"I think there's a possibility that we might be able to amend it," Kane said. "We're hoping we can compromise."

Council members, now on a holiday break for more than a month, will deal with Clarke's bill when they return in January. *

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ye...r_is_a_go.html
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM   #390
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Glad to see the building approval! Hopefully construction won't be too far behind.

The other point regarding PVC piping is ridiculous. I can't believe Philadelphia is being held captive by the plumbers union. PVC have been unacceptable building material for decades in most municipalities yet its cost benefits have been held up because if a shortsighted union? If Philadelphia really wants to become world class they need to overcome obstacles like this.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM   #391
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

It's definitely an interesting design. Reminds me a little of Freedom Tower, with a little Transbay from Boston thrown in. I wonder what the Founding Fathers would think if they saw Philly now . . .
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:06 AM   #392
fish

Likes (Received):

If built, the American Commerce Center would become Philadelphia's Empire State Building -- a much needed addition to the skyline.

I just wish the spire were designed better.

In a contest, I would say the spire atop the World Trade Center Tower #1 (Tower of Freedom) looks better.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #393
renovatio

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Glad to see the building approval! Hopefully construction won't be too far behind.
Actually, only the zoning changes in the law have been approved. The building still needs to be reviewed by an architectural review board before final approval can be granted and construction can begin.
Old December 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #394
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

Is it common practice that the city council gives its approval before the achitectural review board?
In my country, the ity council bases its approval on the views of the achitectural review board / welfare comittee.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #395
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

Nice! Im glad this seems to be going along right on track! This tower is a bit like freedom tower. I wasnt sold on the coloured panneling on the spaces within the skybridge enclosuer, but Im sold on it after seeing the render in motion.
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #396
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Dude philly owns..

But a 1200 plus foot roof with only 63 floors? That's almost 20 feet a floor. They could fit so much more space in there and still have high ceilings. I mean the comcast cetner at 975 feet with 57 or 58 floors (Prob less than 900 to the top office floor) has ridiculously high ceilings, 1200 feet could fit at least 70 comcast height floors.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #397
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
But a 1200 plus foot roof with only 63 floors?
It's their tower, it's their the money, they want more sunlight for every floor to maximize energy and views.
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #398
renovatio

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Is it common practice that the city council gives its approval before the achitectural review board?
In my country, the ity council bases its approval on the views of the achitectural review board / welfare comittee.
Normally no... but the mayor and city council really want the tower built, because of jobs, taxes, and other sorts of capital infusion into the Philly economy. So they wanted to send a positive signal to the developers, I think.

The question is how tough the architectural review board will be.. I'm hoping for a better spire/top, not to mention that Arch St. is not really suited to handle traffic for a supertall, so something needs to be figured out there..
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #399
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
If built, the American Commerce Center would become Philadelphia's Empire State Building -- a much needed addition to the skyline.

I just wish the spire were designed better.

In a contest, I would say the spire atop the World Trade Center Tower #1 (Tower of Freedom) looks better.
I am sure the design will be refined more

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #400
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
The same goes for Frankfurt. A building can only get approved if the design fits into the requirements of the city administration!

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia