daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #441
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 509

It looks like the old design of FT.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #442
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggmasta View Post
whats going on with this i drove by it the other day and they still had the sign up but I haven't heard any news about it in a while
I think the main problem is that they still don't have a main tenant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
lol How many times is this gonna be said?
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #443
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
Yes, so?

The fact that the design is similar to the original Freedom Tower design is a compliment (at least that's how I perceive it).
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #444
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Thank you Onn for the Youtube video ... it is a great tribute to my city.

Back in the 1980's travel writer Bill Bryson described Philly as "the ugliest city in America." In many ways I think it is quite beautiful, and those aerial views back up my opinion.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #445
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I hardly see why Bill Bryson thinks Philadelphia is the ugliest city in America. That city have so many beautiful historic buildings, a lot of charms, geography, and beautiful skyline. I think Philadelphia has one of the nation's best skylines. I don't know what his description of beautiful and ugly.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #446
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I hardly see why Bill Bryson thinks Philadelphia is the ugliest city in America. That city have so many beautiful historic buildings, a lot of charms, geography, and beautiful skyline. I think Philadelphia has one of the nation's best skylines. I don't know what his description of beautiful and ugly.
not to mention one kick ass baseball team.
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:36 AM   #447
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

Bill Bryson has no room to talk about ANYTHING being ugly. What an ass.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #448
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

PhillyDeals: Builder with towering local profile sold

By Joseph N. DiStefano

L.F. Driscoll Co., the 80-year-old Bala Cynwyd builders who put up One Liberty Place, Comcast Center, the Kimmel Center, and other Philadelphia landmarks, has been sold to Structure Tone, of New York.

"We saw the Driscoll folks as the leading firm in Philadelphia, and a strong entity in the health-care market," one of the few sectors where builders are still busy, Bob Mullen, chief executive at Structure Tone, told me.

Driscoll has constructed recent buildings for the Penn and Jefferson hospital systems and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, among others, Mullen said.

"We could absolutely have stayed independent. This was not done for purely financial reasons," Jack Donnelly, chief executive at Driscoll, said. "We'll run independently, and now we can expand our markets. We can take advantage of the fact [Structure Tone] is national in scope. It will mean a bigger pipeline" of new projects as Philadelphia-area deals have slowed.

High-rise hopeful

I asked Hill's Richter about his firm's proposed American Commerce Center tower, which would pass Comcast to be the tallest in Philadelphia, if it's built.

"Glaxo [GlaxoSmithKline] is still our most likely lead tenant, and I think we're moving closer to a deal with them," he told me. "My guess is we'll have the project moving forward in the second quarter of 2010." Though, he added, it takes time to get commitments from an "anchor tenant" whose existing leases won't expire for a few years.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #449
CrazyAboutCities

Wow! That's great news! Hope it will get built! Thanks for sharing!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM   #450
Grk101
Space for rent

Likes (Received): 0

With Comcast on the verge of a deal with NBC, is it possible that they might take up a large part the space in this tower for extra office space? (And possibly purchase naming rights? "Comcast Center 2" anyone??? )

Maybe Comcast would also move NBC operations to Philly eventually, since they have shown their love for the city. Who knows?

Just a thought.
Grk101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM   #451
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grk101 View Post
With Comcast on the verge of a deal with NBC, is it possible that they might take up a large part the space in this tower for extra office space? (And possibly purchase naming rights? "Comcast Center 2" anyone??? )
Maybe Comcast would also move NBC operations to Philly eventually, since they have shown their love for the city. Who knows?
Just a thought.
Actually, I would think a more likely scenario would be for them to move everything to New York. All of the studio space, actors, etc are already there and it is certainly a hub television production. The merger may end up hurting Philadelphia instead of helping it.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM   #452
Grk101
Space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Actually, I would think a more likely scenario would be for them to move everything to New York. All of the studio space, actors, etc are already there and it is certainly a hub television production. The merger may end up hurting Philadelphia instead of helping it.
I doubt they would move the main cable division offices there too. But aren't NBC currently in the GE building in NYC? I know the first phase of the merger is supposed to be joint with GE, but in a few years it is supposed to be 100% Comcast. Maybe somethings will change. They could always move their offices to Philly and keep studios there. Comcast currently does something similar with the cable channels it owns. The studio's are out in California. How much business does GE (other than NBC operations) do in the building btw? That could also be a factor in all of this and the deal.

Last edited by Grk101; December 3rd, 2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #453
Grk101
Space for rent

Well the deal went through. Local news this morning in Philly is saying that there is talk Comcast might move most of the management to Philly along with some possible production. They further stated that analysts are saying that Comcast could potentially move everything to Philly, and "do what Ted Turner did with CNN and Atlanta for Philly".

Now what the relation to the American Commerce Center has to do with it has yet to be seen. But as I wrote a few posts above, maybe the builders could lure Comcast in.....

Last edited by Grk101; December 3rd, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #454
Lexington

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Well the deal went through. Local news this morning in Philly is saying that there is talk Comcast might move most of the management to Philly along with some possible production. They further stated that analysts are saying that Comcast could potentially move everything to Philly, and "do what Ted Turner did with CNN and Atlanta for Philly".

Now what the relation to the American Commerce Center has to do with it has yet to be seen. But as I wrote a few posts above, maybe the builders could lure Comcast in.....
Dude they are not moving NBC out of New York. Its the media capital of the world for goodness sakes. Comcast is extremely loyal to Philadlephia but imo what will happen is any internal growth from this new merger will happen in Philadlephia. For instance if Versus becomes a national sports outlet to compete with ESPN, that branch most likely will happen in Philadlephia. But no they arent moving CNBC or NBC out of NYC in the near future.

As far as I know its Glaxo Smith Kline which has a US HQ in Philadlephia that is the rumored lead anchor that will get ACC off the ground.
Lexington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #455
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

This is good news for Philly.

More good news: the population of the city has actually grown - not decreased - for the first time in 40 years.

I would like to see a new supertall enhance this picture:

[IMG]http://i40.************/2qm3pma,jpg[/IMG]
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #456
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:

Why would anyone believe that such a move would occur anytime soon? Corporate relocations of that scale are often planned years, even decades before an actual move. Comcast has regulatory hurdles to overcome before it can claim total control of NBC. And since GE still holds 49% of the stock, it might have a say in what Comcast does with the network. Comcast is certainly free to build around NBC in Philadelphia and strategically realign their businesses in ways that bring a lot of operations to Philly, but again, that is a long term project and would likely involve locations other than ACC.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #457
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
why new york? the space they have in new york is very limited. as far as i know most of NBC's studios and offices are in LA. so a move to LA is a more logical move because the studio space is already there and not to mention NBC has a large land holding in LA also so developing it would be alot cheaper than new york. isnt comcast based in orange county?
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #458
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
This is good news for Philly.

More good news: the population of the city has actually grown - not decreased - for the first time in 40 years.

I would like to see a new supertall enhance this picture:
How many people did Philadelphia lost in the last 40 year? How much did it have been grown? What is the current population of Philadelphia?
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #459
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
How many people did Philadelphia lost in the last 40 year? How much did it have been grown? What is the current population of Philadelphia?
1900 - 1,293,697 (23.6%)
1910 - 1,549,008 (19.7%)
1920 - 1,823,779 (17.7%)
1930 - 1,950,961 (7.0%)
1940 - 1,931,334 (−1.0%)
1950 - 2,071,605 (7.3%)
1960 - 2,002,512 (−3.3%)
1970 - 1,948,609 (−2.7%)
1980 - 1,688,210 (−13.4%)
1990 - 1,585,577 (−6.1%)
2000 - 1,517,550 (−4.3%)
2008 - 1,447,395 (−4.6%)
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #460
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
1900 - 1,293,697 (23.6%)
1910 - 1,549,008 (19.7%)
1920 - 1,823,779 (17.7%)
1930 - 1,950,961 (7.0%)
1940 - 1,931,334 (−1.0%)
1950 - 2,071,605 (7.3%)
1960 - 2,002,512 (−3.3%)
1970 - 1,948,609 (−2.7%)
1980 - 1,688,210 (−13.4%)
1990 - 1,585,577 (−6.1%)
2000 - 1,517,550 (−4.3%)
2008 - 1,447,395 (−4.6%)
The 2008 estimate is incorrect. It has been revised to reflect a more accurate count.

The population of Philadelphia in 2008 is 1,540,351.

The net increase of population between 2000 and 2008 is about 22,800.

GOOGLE IT.

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia