daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #461
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Thank for the info! Glad to hear that Philadelphia grows again and hope it will continue next decade and beyond.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #462
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Thank for the info! Glad to hear that Philadelphia grows again and hope it will continue next decade and beyond.
Even if the city doesn't grow or grows slowly, the metropolitan area, where most people live and work and which is among the 10 richest in the world, will continue to grow at a steady pace.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #463
gooseberry

Likes (Received): 3

Philadelphia actually encourages development. I wish I had never left and moved to Boston. The idiots here roadblock any development in the city making it next to impossible for companies to locate themselves here. There's good stuff happening in Philadelphia now and I like the current Mayor unlike the piggy-mumble-mouth-mayor-for-life we have in Boston. I'm feeling bitter lately I guess! They're even trying to make a law against buildings casting shadows!!!! It might be time to move back.
gooseberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #464
Grk101
Space for rent

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Comcast is certainly free to build around NBC in Philadelphia and strategically realign their businesses in ways that bring a lot of operations to Philly, but again, that is a long term project and would likely involve locations other than ACC.
Which is exactly what I was stating. I didn't say that they would completed move to Philly. I meant that they could shift their upper level NBC management there and keep NYC basically as is. Like how their current operations are with the other channels they own. (For example, E! is based in LA)

What the local news was getting at though, is that some production could POTENTIALLY (not a given, and not over night) come to the city, like the scenario with "Versus" given a few posts back. The comment about all operations moving to Philly is obviously a very far fetched scenario.
Grk101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #465
Grk101
Space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
This is good news for Philly.

More good news: the population of the city has actually grown - not decreased - for the first time in 40 years.

I would like to see a new supertall enhance this picture:

[IMG]http://i40.************/2qm3pma,jpg[/IMG]
Great new for the city!
Old December 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #466
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grk101 View Post
Which is exactly what I was stating. I didn't say that they would completed move to Philly. I meant that they could shift their upper level NBC management there and keep NYC basically as is. Like how their current operations are with the other channels they own. (For example, E! is based in LA)

What the local news was getting at though, is that some production could POTENTIALLY (not a given, and not over night) come to the city, like the scenario with "Versus" given a few posts back. The comment about all operations moving to Philly is obviously a very far fetched scenario.
Comcast does not own NBC, they have a 51% stake in the company. They also have to wait around a year for federal approval of the deal, so I don't think any offices will be moving anytime soon. Also, as great a city Philadelphia is, NBC is a last place network that needs as much exposure to the general public as it can get, so staying in NYC is probably for the better.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #467
Grk101
Space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
Comcast does not own NBC, they have a 51% stake in the company. They also have to wait around a year for federal approval of the deal, so I don't think any offices will be moving anytime soon. Also, as great a city Philadelphia is, NBC is a last place network that needs as much exposure to the general public as it can get, so staying in NYC is probably for the better.
Part of the deal calls for Comcast to be able to buy GE's 49% stake in a few years....Plus, their initial 51% stake grants them controlling power either way.
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #468
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Think about it why would GE sale NBC. They don't need the money, maybe they don't see a future in it. GE a massive company they could buy Comcast, maybe network television isn't GE's thing. but enough with that whats the news for this building
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #469
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Think about it why would GE sale NBC. They don't need the money, maybe they don't see a future in it. GE a massive company they could buy Comcast, maybe network television isn't GE's thing. but enough with that whats the news for this building
GE has a longstanding policy of being #1 or #2 in any of their businesses. Right now, NBC is the #4 network. If GE holds onto their NBC stock, it's only out of their belief that Comcast can add significant value to NBC and make their stake worth far more. Plus, GE does need the cash since their financing arm, GE Capital took huge blows during the financial crisis.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #470
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
Philadelphia actually encourages development. I wish I had never left and moved to Boston. The idiots here roadblock any development in the city making it next to impossible for companies to locate themselves here. There's good stuff happening in Philadelphia now and I like the current Mayor unlike the piggy-mumble-mouth-mayor-for-life we have in Boston. I'm feeling bitter lately I guess! They're even trying to make a law against buildings casting shadows!!!! It might be time to move back.
It does suck but Boston is so small and has so much history that we would rather have people not move their businesses here than wreck old buildings and crowd this tiny city. I wish there was a lot more development too but for what is has its not a bad city at all.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #471
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
GE has a longstanding policy of being #1 or #2 in any of their businesses. Right now, NBC is the #4 network. If GE holds onto their NBC stock, it's only out of their belief that Comcast can add significant value to NBC and make their stake worth far more. Plus, GE does need the cash since their financing arm, GE Capital took huge blows during the financial crisis.
I'm sorry didn't know they needed money, I thought 700 billion dollars was enough sorry about that.
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #472
wanderer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
Hey, you still have time to move here. We need as many people as possible. The only thing I feel Philly doesn't have an advantage over Boston is it's mass transportation system, which I hope happens since they're talking about extending the R6 from Norristown to Reading.
wanderer34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #473
kayiko

Wow..I just found out about this building today, and I'm sorry to say that I am not all that thrilled with it.

Its one thing to love a skyscraper, but please go to the city first before you decide if the building would be good for it. One of the best places that over looks the entire city is from the Philadelphia Art Museum. (Think Rocky Steps) You can see the entire skyline beautifully. It is my most favorite place in Philly. However, from what it looks like, this new building is going to be build next to the Comcast building and will actually be blocking the view's of Liberty buildings, if you are looking at it from the art museum. IMO, I think that takes away the beauty of Philly, not adding to it. I find its placement in the city, to be wrong. I don't understand how anyone can approve a building that causes the skyline to be obstructed from one of the most famous over looking spots in the entire city.

Philadelphia is old.. and sadly, new buildings like this stick out like sore thumbs. The best thing it does, it help tie in the comcast building more, which, im sorry, does not match Philly at all. The Comcast building sticks out so badly in Philly. It may be a pretty building.. but it may be in the wrong city. However.. these are just my feelings. I miss my old Philly skyline, and if they want to add in new skyscrapers, ok fine.. But whats the point of putting them in, when they completely block the other skyscrapers, from a famous over look spot? I feel the placement of this building is going to hurt the skyline a lot more then help it. I will be so completely heartbroken if i have to sit on those steps at the art museum, and look out over the city, and not be able to see my two fav, and i think most beautiful buildings, because of that one out of place skyscraper that honestly, does not even fit in with the look of Philadelphia at all.

If you look at this.. and then..
Look at that.. All you have to do is flip it. The new building is between the comcast and the one with the pointed triangle on top. It will completely block out Liberty 1 entirely. Big and important towers in Philly. Not the best idea to block them completely out like that. I'm completely heart broken that this building is going up where it is. That is a HUGE drastic change to a beautiful skyline, from one of the most famous vantage points of the entire city. Did they even care or think about that at all when they picked that plot? Probably not.

Last edited by kayiko; February 6th, 2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: adding something.
kayiko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #474
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

this building is amazing

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #475
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

wow, beautiful buiilding. i like the cladding
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #476
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

nice
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #477
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayiko View Post
Wow..I just found out about this building today, and I'm sorry to say that I am not all that thrilled with it.
Begone NIMBY! Begone!
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #478
tahir.DDS

Likes (Received): 3

everything made here is sweet

i love the hugh screen inside the comcast.......
tahir.DDS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #479
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
Begone NIMBY! Begone!
hahah. its going to be built. dont trip over him
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #480
sakai
BANNED