daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:20 AM   #501
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
They should keep that height it works well but put the spire in the center and have two sides slant like that, also that podium is abnoxious Id be surprised if that didnt change by the time its being built.
this person is clearly trolling, it's obvious that putting the spire in the middle would be the ugliest thing they can do.
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #502
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 180

no........
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #503
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Any news in the last 5 months? Quite a gap if this is really a likely proposal. I know in Miami things are slowly picking up from our shamelful crash, partially due to forein developers (Swire) who are not affected by our bad economy. I'd rather be in a city like Philadelphia if it wasn't cold.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #504
panchiito

Likes (Received): 0

panchiito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #505
Miami High Rise

Foul ball, base hit, ground ball, they dropped the ball, they like baseball in Philly, what is that supossed to mean?

Or is that some of best dslr work you're showing off, it's great

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #506
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

This needs to be built...anyone know anything about its future?
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #507
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

yea I'm also curious about this one Philly really needs his one.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #508
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

I did a quick google search for new information in the past few months regarding this building; it turned up nothing. It seems this project is stuck in the same quagmire it's been in for years: no potential tenants. This project will never break ground unless a major tenant makes a serious commitment to occupy this building.

This project is a microcosm of a bigger problem Philadelphia has had for decades: a lack of jobs. The city just can't attract companies to open up shop within city limits, especially Center City. It truly is baffling; Center City is one of the densest downtowns in the United States. Also, the Philly metro area has the 9th highest GDP by urban area in the world (#4 in the US)! But most of the money and jobs are outside the city.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #509
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Philadelphia city councils should try to offer companies a tax break or package only if they're willing to relocate to its downtown from its suburbs or other cities/states. Some cities including Seattle did that and it works for them. Philadelphia should try that too.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #510
Miami High Rise

The status of this is really proposed? As in it has never been approved yet?

Old August 27th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #511
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

American Commerce Center Is Dead

Phillydeals

Quote:
Thursday, August 25, 2011

Another Comcast tower in Center City?

The Comcast building on the Philly skyline. (Clem Murray / Staff Photographer)

A buyer affiliated with Liberty Property Trust on Aug. 3 paid $40 million for the lot at 1800 Arch St., ending a longshot proposal by developers to build what would have been the tallest building in Center City Philadelphia.

Seller Multi Employers Property Trust, a union pension investment fund, had paid $32 million in 2007. "We're glad MEPT made a nice profit," David Richter, head of Marlton-based Hill International Group's real estate affiliate, which had hoped to develop a 1,500-foot tower on the site, told me. "We would have preferred they hold onto the property. I think we're getting close to the end of the recession. But MEPT got a good offer, for the best piece of property in Center City."

Hopeful brokers I talked to said a likely occupant for a new building on that site would be its neighbor, Comcast Corp., whose Liberty-built and -managed Comcast Center headquarters, at nearly 1,000 feet, is Philadelphia's highest building. Comcast is looking for space and has leased parts of the former CoreStates and Bell Atlantic headquarters towers.

But it's not clear that Comcast would spend $50 a square foot for new construction, when existing Philadelphia office space is available at half that price. Comcast doesn't need the 700,000+ sq ft a big tower would create, and it would be tough to finance such a large project without other tenants.

Comcast has acquired plenty of legacy NBC Universal office space in other cities, such as 30 Rockefeller Center in Manhattan (though Philly brokers are hoping Comcast could move back-office NBC operations in North Jersey down here). Comcast already controls a site on its headquarters block that could accomodate maybe a 20-story tower, if it wants to build.

That leaves open the possibility that a Liberty financial partner is looking at Comcast or another potential tenant long-term, and sees this as a chance to control the site. Liberty held the site of Comcast's current headquarters a block away for years until the company was ready to commit.

The site doesn't fit Liberty's recent deals. With few big companies hiring or needing office space, Liberty has been selling office sites and buying warehouses.

But some large corporations are using the depressed property and construction market to update home offices on the cheap. For example, PNC Financial Service Group this summer announced a new 40-story headquarters in its native Pittsburgh.

A new tower would give Philadelphia contractors and construction workers relief from the three-year slump, especially since work ended on the Pennsylvania Convention Center expansion and Brandywine Realty Trust's 30th St. Post Office conversion earlier this year.

Hill plans to concentrate its future development energies on "hotel properties on the West Coast, resort properties in the Caribbean, and low-cost housing in the Third World," Richter told me. The former tower plan, dubbed American Commerce Center, was proposed four years ago by developer Joseph Grasso and promoter Garrett Miller. Hill replaced Grasso in the group two years ago. Miller left Hill in July and joined Matthew McManus' NAI Bluestone commercial real estate loan brokerage group.

---
What will replace ACC at the site may be a tower half as tall containing maybe 50 stories of office space. Sad to see ACC disappear but life goes on...

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #512
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Dead huh well I can't really say that I'm surprised.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #513
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

I really wish this had gone through... So should we change the title to Cancelled and move it somewhere else?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #514
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Definitely.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #515
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

It's sad... I remember the days when wikipedia said that "the American Commerce Center, which would be third on the list (behind Chicago Spire and 1 World Trade Center)" was on the list of America's tallest buildings. 1WTC is the only surviving skyscraper from that time period... I hope Philly gets something about or almost this tall in the near future though...
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #516
kingsc

I was hoping Philly would get a supertall. It would have been nice to see in person.
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #517
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Wow, these ambitious projects are really doomed. This is rather grim news for projects like the Chicago 2000 footer
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #518
kingsc

Not really. There hasn't been any really news, about this building in years. And the recession hit right after it went public. The project in Chicago is pretty new but I wouldn't put to much stock in it.
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #519
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

The ACC was one of my favorite supertall proposals, and an American one to boot. I always held out hope for it, and I am saddened to see its demise.
Old September 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #520
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Sad to see this one go down, that too while I am visiting Philly! I sure hope that it comes back in some form or the other. At this rate, it looks like the only supertall action in the US, in the foreseeable future, would be in NYC.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia