daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #61
St Eve

Likes (Received): 0

Can they please put a statue of William Penn on top? I hate to hear of sports 'curses' and putting the statue up there would put a stop to the Curse of William Penn, right? We can only hope
St Eve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #62
ilovechicago91

Likes (Received): 1

nice add philly!
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #63
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I like Phily a lot, I hope we will see this one going up...
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #64
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy85 View Post
“Rebirth Of The City That Gave Birth To A Nation”

Since I was a little boy whenever I went downtown I marveled at the historic City Hall building, and was captivated by the height of the One Liberty Place tower. As I grew older I was amazed to learn that their were buildings taller than Liberty One. It wasn’t until I came across the World Trade Center in New York City that I learned what a skyscraper was. I envied New York City, Chicago, and other cities that had skyscrapers that passed 1,000 ft. Over time the interest in my skyline seemed to slowly fade away with every passing sunset. Disappointed that none of our skyscrapers were close to or surpassed 1,000 feet. Then came the news of a 975 ft. “Comcast Center.” As the Comcast Center rose Philadelphians took notice of our changing skyline and the love in my heart for my skyline began to flow again. Now with the recent news of the American Commerce Center, US cities will take notice that "hey, something is going on with Philly's Skyline…and that guy over there (me) just had a heart attack."

As the Comcast Center nears completion and the ACC is in the works, I feel that this is the rebirth of the city that gave birth to the nation! Knowing that a 1,500 ft. skyscraper could sit in the heart of my city, I can't explain the impact it has on me. For so long Philadelphia has been over looked. "Filthadelphia." "Killadelphia.” “The only thing going on there is crime…well, that and that cloud of dirt is getting bigger.” Philadelphians, skyscraper lovers or not, owe Comcast Center a lot of respect. It is a symbol of what’s to come for our city. The ACC will not only join the 1,000 ft. club with Philadelphia’s name on it but it will be a testament that Philadelphia is still filled with that some hope and promise that it had when it was established in 1682. Now is the time for Philadelphia to stand up. Stand up and show that our city is still very much full of "LIFE" and that "DIRT" is called history.
Thank you, PhillyGuy! Thank you very much indeed! An excellant tribute to our wonderful city.

When I think of the USA I think of her cities - NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, all the rest - as the shining "crown" of America; each one beautiful in it's own unique way. And for me, well, The City Of Brotherly Love - PHILADELPHIA - is one of the brightest Jewels in the Crown.

May God Bless America, all of the cities of America, the towns and countryside as well; God Bless the American People, too ... remember, we are the torch of freedom that enlightens the world, the bell that rings out liberty.

forgive me for getting carried away ...
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #65
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

This has made my rather dull weekend! This is not only excellent news for the city, but for the country, that for a time, seemed to be loosing on the supertalls competition. Can't wait to see ACC, Transbay, CS, and the WTC complex rise up to glory in the following years.
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #66
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah, it’s ironic that a few years after 9/11, not only the world, but even now America is merely just starting to heat up in terms of skyscraper construction. Aside from everything approved, proposed, and u/c, I know that at least my city has an incomprehensible amount of massive speculative projects, and I can only assume that mid-to-large US cities have a similar booming atmosphere. Until a few months ago, I had no idea the US was so active in terms of building larger skyscrapers (especially in US states that you’d never expect to see taller buildings rising, most of which are not mentioned here in SSC), and the ACC is just more proof of it, and proof of how a great city like Phily won’t stop even after building its new tallest. It’s good to see US cities aside from Chicago and NY reach heights they have never been at before; these cities will gain even larger glorious skylines. While everyone builds up, we build up more. The number of supertalls in this period of time must be unmatched, like always. I consider the CC Phily's first real supertall, and boy it would be one heck of an addition of any skyline on the face of the earth, as would the ACC.

Last edited by Ebola; March 17th, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #67
PhillyGuy85

Likes (Received): 10

To Phillybud

THANK YOU!!! We all come from different cities and have such great love for them, but 9/11 showed us how much we need each other. That we are One Nation under God. So have pride in your city, but remember we are all in this together. Once we recognize that we need to be the UNITED STATES that we say we are, then we can share that same spirit with the World.

To Ebola

When I first heard about the height of the ACC I was excited, but for a split second the image of Flight 175 came into my mind and I wondered would this 1,500 ft. tower become a target? That kind of thinking I believe will cross the minds of every skyscraper lover and builder with each new project. We can't escape the fact that 9/11 has set a new standard with every new skyscraper that rises all over the world. BUT I am proud to see that the American Spirit that built the World Trade Center is returning and is spreading across the nation.

GOD BLESS YOU BOTH

Last edited by PhillyGuy85; March 18th, 2008 at 03:29 AM.
PhillyGuy85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #68
PeiWhatYouCan

A nice looking building. From some angles, it looks a bit like someone giving the finger, though.
PeiWhatYouCan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #69
TooFar
moonage daydream

Likes (Received): 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
May God Bless America, all of the cities of America, the towns and countryside as well; God Bless the American People, too ... remember, we are the torch of freedom that enlightens the world, the bell that rings out liberty.
I know you are excited about this project, but do we really need this?
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #70
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7020

lol, yea that was definitely an eye brow raiser... haha

Anyways... no one knows the cost? Funding?
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #71
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12566

Quote:
Thank you, PhillyGuy! Thank you very much indeed! An excellant tribute to our wonderful city.

When I think of the USA I think of her cities - NYC, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, all the rest - as the shining "crown" of America; each one beautiful in it's own unique way. And for me, well, The City Of Brotherly Love - PHILADELPHIA - is one of the brightest Jewels in the Crown.

Are you demented?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #72
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

Just a TAD cliché and a BIT over-the-top .
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #73
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFar View Post
I know you are excited about this project, but do we really need this?
That was up to no one but the poster. Do we really need this?

It really must be the greatest and most shocking news in the world to them to see the chance of something bigger and taller go up right after they wholly put up what they though would be the biggest and tallest. It's what we all desire. Phily is obviously doing very well and I really would do anything to see the ACC go up because it's my favorite skyline and less famous US cities really need to show their power too. Does anyone know exactly how it could be lit up at night?
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #74
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

Get rid of the tacky spire and I'm all for the building.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #75
RUMPELiNO
slide2unlocK

Quote:
remember, we are the torch of freedom that enlightens the world, the bell that rings out liberty.

RUMPELiNO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #76
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28124

I like the overspan.

Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #77
TOB1AS

Likes (Received): 19

Awesome! Reminds me of the previous FT design, the one which was designed to look like as it was "communicating" with the Statue of Liberty.

As for Philly, this is what comes to my mind when I hear the name Philadelphia:

Last edited by TOB1AS; March 18th, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
TOB1AS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #78
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Cut the alfalfa hair
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #79
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Spectacular!!

Sorry. No time for a decent comment.
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #80
PhillyGuy85

Likes (Received): 10

Front Page News!!!

Mon, Mar. 17, 2008

Plan for high-rise would put Philly on world's skyscraper map

By JOHN F. MORRISON
Philadelphia Daily News
[email protected] 215-854-5573

This parking lot at 18th and Arch streets is where the proposed American Commerce Building would be constructed. Current plans for the 1,500-foot structure call for an $800 million building with a mix of retail, hotel and office space, including a multiscreen movie theater.

JUST WHEN you thought you were getting over the crick in your neck from looking up at Philly's skyscrapers, along comes a proposal that would be a real test of your flexibility.
There is a proposal afoot to build what would be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and the second-tallest building in the world when stacked against existing buildings, at 18th and Arch streets, in Center City. A 2,000-foot-tall condominium building is under construction in Chicago.

The American Commerce Center, at a proposed 1,500 feet, would be 525 feet higher than the Comcast Center, now Philly's tallest building at 975 feet, a block away.

It would surpass the Empire State Building's 1,250 feet.

Phillyskyline.com waxed poetic in its description of what's happening:

"Your Philly skyline is about to change. About to incur a growth spurt. About to shatter any notion of Philadelphian reservedness, about to take A New Day A New Way to a whole other level."

Generating this excitement is the proposal to construct what would be a mix of retail, hotel and office space - and even a movie theater - in an $800 million, 2.2-million-square-foot skyscraper on what is now a parking lot.

The project would be built by Walnut Street Capital, a Philadelphia development company headed by Garrett Miller, which purchased the 1.5-acre lot from Verizon Communications Inc. of New York in October.

Does Philadelphia need another giant office building?

Miller thinks so. He said he believes there is a "void" of newer office stock in Center City that this building would fill and help attract corporate headquarters to the city, according to the Philadelphia Business Journal, which reported the tower story in its Friday print edition.

"I think Philadelphia has a need for a new office building," Miller told the Journal.

"It would be an iconic structure," he said. "This is something that Philadelphia has not seen before."

Nor much of the world. The building's height would be second only to Taipei 101, in Taiwan, at 1,670 feet.

There are broadcast towers that are taller: Canadian National Tower, Toronto, 1,815 feet; Ostankin, Moscow, 1,762; KFVS-TV, near Cape Girardeau, Mo., 1,677; and Oriental Pearl, Shanghai, 1,535. But even with several other taller buildings on the drawing board around the world, the proposed edifice would be part of a small club - and eco-friendly on top of that.

The American Commerce Center would be constructed with a U.S. Green Building Council LEED Gold Certification in mind.

A "green building" is one that increases the efficiency with which it uses resources - energy, water and materials, and which reduces its impact on human health and the environment.

The proposed building will need zoning adjustments, but it apparently has the backing of Mayor Nutter.

Through his press secretary, Doug Oliver, the mayor said he believes the building "would be a spectacular addition to Philadelphia's skyline. Sustainability efforts and building green continue to be hallmarks of this administration and the plans for this particular project are consistent with those goals."

The civic association that covers that neighborhood is watching and waiting.

"Obviously, when you drop something bigger than the World Trade Center into a neighborhood there are bound to be implications," said Rob Stuart, president of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association. "We will identify them and see if they can be mitigated. It is clearly out of scale with a lot of our neighboring buildings."

Stuart said his association was briefed a week ago by the developer and his team and "we are formulating a task force to work on the project."

"There are going to be a lot of discussions. The design might change as a result."

The architect is Kohn Pedersen Fox, which designed the US Airways terminal at Philadelphia International Airport, Huntsman Hall, for the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, Mellon Bank Center, Two Logan Square, One Logan Square and the Four Seasons Hotel.

Gene Kohn, one of the partners, is a Philadelphian. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in the '50s and once worked for prominent Philadelphia architect Vincent Kling.

The architects, with studios in New York, London and Shanghai, designed buildings - as yet unbuilt - that would be taller than American Commerce Center, in Shanghai and in Hong Kong.

The Shanghai World Financial Center will reach 1,588 feet, and the International Commerce Center in Hong Kong will be 1,608 feet.

Miller, of Walnut Street Capital, said financing is in place for the Philadelphia project but obstacles ahead include the need for zoning adjustments and attracting prospective tenants to occupy the office part of the building.

The Commerce Center will include a 26-story, 473-foot hotel with a garden on top. There would be three to six stories of retail space along Arch Street with a public garden facing the dome of the Arch Street Presbyterian Church.

There would be another garden on the sixth floor, between Arch and Cuthbert streets, overlooking the one below.

The 63-story office tower would be 1,210 feet to the lower portion of the roof, 1,500 feet to the top of a spire.

Miller said some potential tenants of the retail portion of the project include a high-end home store, restaurants, a gourmet food store, a health club and a movie theater with eight screens.

Russell Meddin, Democratic committeeman in the 19th Division of the 8th Ward, said, "It would be a signature building for Philadelphia."

Meddin, who is a board member of the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, said he found the design "fabulous."

While there were mixed feelings in the neighborhood when the Comcast building was proposed, it has been generally accepted, he said.

"This says wonderful things about Philadelphia," Meddin said.

The city has come a long way from the unwritten rule that no building should be higher than the statue of William Penn on City Hall - 548 feet.

There was even a legend that none of the city's sports teams would win a championship if that happened.

The late legendary developer Willard Rouse defied the legend and the old "gentleman's agreement" to keep Philadelphia flat and unexciting when he built the first skyscraper, One Liberty Place, in 1987 at 945 feet. *

Source - http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news.../16740051.html

Last edited by PhillyGuy85; March 19th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
PhillyGuy85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia