daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #961
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 2981

https://web.facebook.com/BuildingPhi...type=3&theater

Radio Raheem, 8166UY liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #962
Chris08876
Organischer Chemiker!

Likes (Received): 1020

A bit older, from October, but you can see Comcast u/c. I thought this shot was surreal. Has a ethereal quality to it.

Ben Franklin would be proud.

Philadelphia Aerial by Justin Wolfe [5524x3683] by Antonio Max, on Flickr
Chris08876 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #963
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #964
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

It's great to see so much steel being wrapped around the concrete core of the building. Progress is being made. I wonder what it will look like when the Democrats have their convention here next summer?

This is an important trophy for Philly. You see, we were a city that reached it's peak population of something like 2.1 million in 1950 and suffered the humiliation of a loss of half a million people in the course of the next five decades ... until the century - 2000 ... when the city's fortunes turned around. The population started growing again. The city successfully re-invented itself, transitioning from manufacturing to a world class center for higher education, advanced medicine, culture and tourism.

Overshadowed by much bigger and more important New York City to the north and more powerful and influential Washington to the south, Philly had an identity crisis. Once the home of the largest locomotive factory in the world (Baldwin), the largest ship building yard in the world (Hog Island), it was a city of manufacturing from everything from Stetson hats to Disston saws and blades. Other manufacturing cities from Buffalo, Erie, Trenton, Cleveland to Detroit may never recover; but Philly rose from the ashes to become great again.

This and all the other highrise construction - towers nearly 50 stories tall like FMC Tower (49 stories), the W/Element Hotel (51 stories), 1911 Walnut (51 stories), SLS International (47 stories), etc. mean so much to us Philadelphians. After years of sitting out the race, we are part of the action again.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #965
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Photo taken by Steve Ives

Straight Up Down
by Steve Ives, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 06:16 PM   #966
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Philly's skyline is so sexy already, I always believed it to be one of the best skylines in the US, top 10 for sure, it's just classy and well executed, like Minneapolis. I just wish the street level experience in Philly was equally as enjoyable, it seems to be lacking in many ways, very 9-5 in atmosphere. But I hope there'll be increased attention on developing mid-high rise residential in the core and in the area surrounding the core, as it's greatly necessary to revive downtown. I think this development, and the continued elimination of surface lots and underutilized space downtown will help accomplish that though.

Also, a bit off topic, but I noticed Philly seems to be one of the fews major cities in the US falling short across metrics. For instance the white population is falling, contrary to cities like Atlanta, NY, DC, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Nashville, Austin, even Detroit, obvious millennial magnets. Similarly, it doesn't look to be attracting recent grads the same was as these cities, or even retaining grads from UPenn. I think its troubling, as Philly seems to be a city on the cusp of turning a leaf, much closer to becoming a true top tier 21st century city than many of the other cities I mentioned. Plus it's geographical location between NYC and DC makes it a prime target for millenials. So what's the issue?

Seoul_Korea liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:42 AM   #967
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Philly really does have a nice skyline. It's nothing compared to New York or Chicago of course, but it is very nice to look at nonetheless and only getting better.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM   #968
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I just wish the street level experience in Philly was equally as enjoyable, it seems to be lacking in many ways, very 9-5 in atmosphere.
In Center City, if you leave the area with the large office towers, you'll find quite a lot of street activity, particularly south of Market and East of Broad, Chinatown, Old City, and Rittenhouse Square.

The area where this building and the other post-80s towers are used to be a train yard. Unforunately, back then there wasn't much foresight in terms of planning new towers with street level businesses, as well as a CBD with more mixed used development. In addition, way back when blocks of homes and businesses were demolished to create the Ben Franklin Parkway. Both factors contributed to the current existence of a less vibrant urban disrict centered around West Market St. in Center City.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #969
spidey7312
Pro Web Slinger

Likes (Received): 545

This building looks good but I wish Comcast had never invaded Philly. One Liberty Place is much more deserving of the tallest title.
spidey7312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #970
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

comcastxmas by screennameLLC, on Flickr

Munwon, Hudson11, Radio Raheem, dolcerodri liked this post
Old December 31st, 2015, 09:31 PM   #971
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Philly's skyline is so sexy already, I always believed it to be one of the best skylines in the US, top 10 for sure, it's just classy and well executed, like Minneapolis.

Also, a bit off topic, but I noticed Philly seems to be one of the fews major cities in the US falling short across metrics. For instance the white population is falling, contrary to cities like Atlanta, NY, DC, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Nashville, Austin, even Detroit, obvious millennial magnets...

... Plus it's geographical location between NYC and DC makes it a prime target for millenials. So what's the issue?
First of all I believe Philly's skyline is already in the top 10 in the US, but we are presently near the bottom of the top ten. It is conceivable that within the next 10 years we will be somewhere in the middle of the top ten. There is so much construction going on right now! There are three or four skyscrapers in the 50 story range under construction right now; not to mention a dozen other highrises in the 20 - 35 story range.

As far as the demographics are concerned, the city's African American population is showing a slight decline percentage wise but that is offset by the large increase of Asian and Latin-American population. We're doing a much better job of retaining recent grads from Penn, Drexel, Temple, Villanova, and the rest than we did 10 or 15 years ago.

The biggest challenges Philly faces is it's way below par public school system, upgrading public transportation, and the crime problem. Philly's crime and murder rates have been falling to historic 1960's lows and it's a much safer city now, but we still have higher crime statistics than either New York or Boston. The younger middle class families will not be motivated to move into the city limits until these problems are addressed.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:35 AM   #972
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
First of all I believe Philly's skyline is already in the top 10 in the US, but we are presently near the bottom of the top ten. It is conceivable that within the next 10 years we will be somewhere in the middle of the top ten. There is so much construction going on right now! There are three or four skyscrapers in the 50 story range under construction right now; not to mention a dozen other highrises in the 20 - 35 story range.

As far as the demographics are concerned, the city's African American population is showing a slight decline percentage wise but that is offset by the large increase of Asian and Latin-American population. We're doing a much better job of retaining recent grads from Penn, Drexel, Temple, Villanova, and the rest than we did 10 or 15 years ago.

The biggest challenges Philly faces is it's way below par public school system, upgrading public transportation, and the crime problem. Philly's crime and murder rates have been falling to historic 1960's lows and it's a much safer city now, but we still have higher crime statistics than either New York or Boston. The younger middle class families will not be motivated to move into the city limits until these problems are addressed.
Near the bottom of the top ten?As far as skylines? What are you smokin? IMO Philly is in the top 5. It does not have a one dimensional skyline. It looks different from every angle. Its collection of skyscrapers as well as its buildings old and new work very well together. It is a city that has evolved over time unlike say Miami,who constructed their buildings all in one decade. Bottom of the top ten? Yea right.

lsg97 liked this post
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2016, 06:32 PM   #973
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
It's great to see so much steel being wrapped around the concrete core of the building. Progress is being made. I wonder what it will look like when the Democrats have their convention here next summer?

This is an important trophy for Philly. You see, we were a city that reached it's peak population of something like 2.1 million in 1950 and suffered the humiliation of a loss of half a million people in the course of the next five decades ... until the century - 2000 ... when the city's fortunes turned around. The population started growing again. The city successfully re-invented itself, transitioning from manufacturing to a world class center for higher education, advanced medicine, culture and tourism.

Overshadowed by much bigger and more important New York City to the north and more powerful and influential Washington to the south, Philly had an identity crisis. Once the home of the largest locomotive factory in the world (Baldwin), the largest ship building yard in the world (Hog Island), it was a city of manufacturing from everything from Stetson hats to Disston saws and blades. Other manufacturing cities from Buffalo, Erie, Trenton, Cleveland to Detroit may never recover; but Philly rose from the ashes to become great again.

This and all the other highrise construction - towers nearly 50 stories tall like FMC Tower (49 stories), the W/Element Hotel (51 stories), 1911 Walnut (51 stories), SLS International (47 stories), etc. mean so much to us Philadelphians. After years of sitting out the race, we are part of the action again.
Thanks for the background information. Really appreciate it. Would want to see locals speaking about their city's and what drives them in other threads more often too.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales

Philly Bud liked this post
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #974
dolcerodri

Likes (Received): 203

Updates from Yesterday! Happy New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dolcerodri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #975
dolcerodri

Likes (Received): 203

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #976
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

http://hiddencityphila.org/2016/01/crane-city-2016/

Radio Raheem, oscillation, gylee73 liked this post
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #977
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Philly's skyline is so sexy already, I always believed it to be one of the best skylines in the US, top 10 for sure, it's just classy and well executed, like Minneapolis. I just wish the street level experience in Philly was equally as enjoyable, it seems to be lacking in many ways, very 9-5 in atmosphere. But I hope there'll be increased attention on developing mid-high rise residential in the core and in the area surrounding the core, as it's greatly necessary to revive downtown. I think this development, and the continued elimination of surface lots and underutilized space downtown will help accomplish that though.

Also, a bit off topic, but I noticed Philly seems to be one of the fews major cities in the US falling short across metrics. For instance the white population is falling, contrary to cities like Atlanta, NY, DC, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Nashville, Austin, even Detroit, obvious millennial magnets. Similarly, it doesn't look to be attracting recent grads the same was as these cities, or even retaining grads from UPenn. I think its troubling, as Philly seems to be a city on the cusp of turning a leaf, much closer to becoming a true top tier 21st century city than many of the other cities I mentioned. Plus it's geographical location between NYC and DC makes it a prime target for millenials. So what's the issue?
Crime and shit schools. A black urban culture of doom which affects not only Philly but many US cities. Everyone is afraid to address this therefor it is most likely irreversible at this point. Too many people make a living on pretending to care about inner city blacks (including other blacks). Victimhood is championed and fabricated grievances are taken seriously by the pretenders in media, academia and politics.

The only reason Detroit may be experiencing an influx of whites is because they are basically giving away housing. The fire sales are a result of everything I stated above.

nasa35 liked this post
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #978
DCUrbanist

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
Crime and shit schools. A black urban culture of doom which affects not only Philly but many US cities. Everyone is afraid to address this therefor it is most likely irreversible at this point. Too many people make a living on pretending to care about inner city blacks (including other blacks). Victimhood is championed and fabricated grievances are taken seriously by the pretenders in media, academia and politics.
But you could make that argument about any other city where African-Americans live in inner-city neighborhoods. Hell, people have been saying that for decades at this point, and given how much energy has been spent on "a black urban culture of doom," you'd think it have worked by now. But incredibly high incarceration rates and cutting back on welfare haven't changed a thing. DC, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta all have those apparent problems too, and those cities are booming. So I think the reason why is more complicated than that.

And just because Detroit's rock-bottom market is flourishing, that doesn't mean it's doing well. It's still a rock-bottom market that hasn't bottomed out yet (hopefully soon). School, transportation, and utilities funding is still far below sustainable levels. While it's definitely true that creators of art and culture tend to establish their meccas in incredibly cheap places (Berlin and New York thirty years ago, Buffalo and Detroit today), it's yet to be seen if and how Detroit will capitalize on that process. Will it use their presence to focus on attracting businesses seeking a creative workforce? Will that art and culture itself become a source of tourism? It's happening a little bit on its own, but I wouldn't give much of that credit to the City of Detroit itself. They seem to be focused on subsidizing luxury apartment construction and the same pet projects like everyone else (stadiums, streetcars, etc.).

When it comes to Philadelphia, they are trying to attract the millennials to Center City, and some would say they're doing it pretty well. But there are many problems that continue to linger, despite this influx of monied, young talent, some of which you mentioned -- segregation, poor public schools, crime. If you're interested in a really even-handed article about these dynamics in Philadelphia, my money goes toward this one:

The Death of Gentrification Guilt
source: Philly Mag

Quote:
On the bleeding edge of Center City, young, privileged, and plugged-in New Philadelphians have grown tired of apologizing for their presence.
continue reading: http://www.phillymag.com/citified/20...MvgjSHZRqP8.99
DCUrbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #979
nasa35

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post

The only reason Detroit may be experiencing an influx of whites is because they are basically giving away housing. The fire sales are a result of everything I stated above.
Why does the north just accept this sheet? In the south everyone works and tries to get along. That's the biggest myth the left tries to say, about how racist and ugly the south is.

Sorry, liberals have destroyed blacks in the north.
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #980
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Let's keep things on topic folks...

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia