daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #121
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelde-Dude View Post
I feel the same way about this tower.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #122
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
whats the Disney history with Philly?
Disney was planning a park at the Delaware waterfront and there was talk about a 100 story tower by the river.

I'd be interested in knowing if Disney might reconsider Philadelphia again.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #123
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Disney was planning a park at the Delaware waterfront and there was talk about a 100 story tower by the river.

I'd be interested in knowing if Disney might reconsider Philadelphia again.
Don't count on it. Geez, where do you guys get these ideas from? Start talking about more realistic companies that might be expanding WITHIN Philly, not companies that might come TO Philly. My guess is, if anything, this building would try to attract large pharmaceuticals companies who would like to expand their office space, law firms, and perhaps banks.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #124
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

With the wage taxes that I would guess are still there, the politics of the City, the mass transit shortcomings of the area, and especially with Eagle fans, why would any business relocate to Philadelphia?

I lived 30 of my 43 years in that area. When anyone outside ripped on Philly we had a slogan......Don't pick on Philly, it's a sh%thole, but i's OUR sh&thole. It is what it is. Unfortunately it isn't satisfied to be what it is, it wants to be NYC.

Philadelphia won't draw much from outside with the tax issues you face just for the privaledge of working there and many other problems it has. If they want to build and lease soemthing like this they really need to focus on business that is already there. Banking and pharmaceuticals. trouble with the pharms is that they are very comfy out in the western 'burbs. Again, with the taxes and transportation, why go downtown?
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #125
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I sure hope this tower gets built. With the economy hitting lows, one never can feel to confident about this tower or other great towers that have been proposed around the Nation.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
StevenW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #126
pennster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
With the wage taxes that I would guess are still there, the politics of the City, the mass transit shortcomings of the area, and especially with Eagle fans, why would any business relocate to Philadelphia?

I lived 30 of my 43 years in that area. When anyone outside ripped on Philly we had a slogan......Don't pick on Philly, it's a sh%thole, but i's OUR sh&thole. It is what it is. Unfortunately it isn't satisfied to be what it is, it wants to be NYC.

Philadelphia won't draw much from outside with the tax issues you face just for the privaledge of working there and many other problems it has. If they want to build and lease soemthing like this they really need to focus on business that is already there. Banking and pharmaceuticals. trouble with the pharms is that they are very comfy out in the western 'burbs. Again, with the taxes and transportation, why go downtown?
Well if there's one thing I do know, it's NOT trying to be NYC. Just because they're close together and have histories that sometimes are similar doesn't mean a thing. They're so very different. Truth is, Philly has A LOT to offer. Just taking a long walk in and around Center City, hanging out in Old City, Manayunk, South Street, and the old Italian Market you really get a sense that Philly is one of a kind. But it's not the right timing to push a 1500-foot tower, especially one that has little architectural value.
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #127
FlyFish

I meant from a business and theatre standpoint. We'll agree to disagree on the City and its merits. Great historical City, that's for certain. What you mentioned were positives to the place, but the weather and transportation nightmare that it has become more than outweighed long walks in center city. But we digress, this website is about the building, not the City itself.

I think we agree though, that this building, as it is drawn, doesn't work. And right now with banks the way they are with lending, I can't see a developer actually getting financing to build it.
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #128
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Pennstar, agree with your take on Philly attracting pharma, law and banking firms. I would even add insurance firms to that list. A 1500 foot tower will have architectural value no matter how it looks, besides, whats most important for a builder is getting returns out of it.

Coming back to Disneyland Philadelphia, lets just kill this thought right here. Knowing Philly, there is no way in hell a Disneyland will come here. Besides, Philadelphia already has Six Flags and Hershey Park.

No doubt Philly is a great cultural city, but from the business point of view, I would say that its still less important than Boston or DC. Of course, NYC is NYC. Philly's great unionism and dirty politics are also a big turnoff. Oh, and Septa!
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #129
kronik

Quote:
Years and years back there was talk of an attraction of some sort in Philadelphia. I'm not certain anymore of what was being thrown around but if memory serves it never went very far.

Oh, and I am in love with your avatar!!!
thanks. I'm in love with it too!
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #130
pennster

Quote:
Pennstar, agree with your take on Philly attracting pharma, law and banking firms. I would even add insurance firms to that list. A 1500 foot tower will have architectural value no matter how it looks, besides, whats most important for a builder is getting returns out of it.

Coming back to Disneyland Philadelphia, lets just kill this thought right here. Knowing Philly, there is no way in hell a Disneyland will come here. Besides, Philadelphia already has Six Flags and Hershey Park.

No doubt Philly is a great cultural city, but from the business point of view, I would say that its still less important than Boston or DC. Of course, NYC is NYC. Philly's great unionism and dirty politics are also a big turnoff. Oh, and Septa!
Sure, a building that is 1500 feet tall will have architectural value simply because it is tall, but quality is what we aim for. The value it has would be very little if it looks like this in the end--especially if it's simply tall because of a silly spire.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:45 PM   #131
FlyFish

Quote:

You are right about architectural value, but even beingthat tall, ugly is still ugly. I agree with Pennster that a building being tall just because of a 300 ft spire is ridiculous.

The Pharma firms, as I said above, are very comfy in the suburbs. Folks can drive to work, park their cars and not face a 90 minute drive home. There is no need or desire for them to move downtown. And as you said, you have the SEPTA nightmare if you do head downtown.

Philly had a lot of strikes against it for this type of thing and they all stem from the way the it operates. Heavy heavy unionization makes contruction overly expensive, financing right now is impossible to get, no project of this scope will get built without heavy heavy local tax incentives, Philadelphia is in no position to give out incentive on that scale, there is a wage tax placed on people wgho work there, and last but not least the mass-transit system is broken, decaying, and corrupt.

Other than that things are great.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM   #132
SkyscraperFreak92

Likes (Received): 6

When starts the construction ?

PS: congratulations from Germany...........the country without great skyscrapers (exception frankfurt am Main) to the old and new skyscraper-nation...

Albert Einstein
SkyscraperFreak92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:54 AM   #133
FlyFish

[QUOTE=SkyscraperFreak92;19384331]When starts the construction ?/QUOTE]

Smart money says...........never
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:51 AM   #134
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's quite possible, though; there are taller skyscrapers going up all over the US, more than any other period in time, and in places you'd never expect with supertalls in places you'd never expect to see them. To deny this is the act of an idiot.

If they try hard enough, they can get this project going; it all depends on backing. I love how people say crap like, "It will never be built" in every other thread. A 600m+ building is one thing, but all it takes is money these days.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #135
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperFreak92 View Post
When starts the construction ?

PS: congratulations from Germany...........the country without great skyscrapers (exception frankfurt am Main) to the old and new skyscraper-nation...
http://dcnonl.com/article/id27046

"If American Commerce can find a starter tenant to take 30 percent of its floor space, the project could get a green light. Because it is backed by a pension fund, Walnut Street Capital won’t need to scramble for bank financing."

How are we gonna let SSP have more interest than us?? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=147514
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #136
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Time for more pics!

City skyline in daytime

City skyline in nighttime

basement level(s)

Vieuw from basement to the top!

detail

link (with nice intro): http://acctower.com/

Last edited by Buyckske Ruben; April 5th, 2008 at 02:24 AM.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #137
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

YouTube movies!

Philadelphia announces 1500FT "American Commerce Center"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o69vqJtJRI

Philadelphia's Next Skyscraper?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLALk...eature=related
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #138
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-NWestfalen-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 1646

The skyline will look amazing, good design.

Neutral! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #139
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

amazing! i love it.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #140
kronik

Quote:
You are right about architectural value, but even beingthat tall, ugly is still ugly. I agree with Pennster that a building being tall just because of a 300 ft spire is ridiculous.

The Pharma firms, as I said above, are very comfy in the suburbs. Folks can drive to work, park their cars and not face a 90 minute drive home. There is no need or desire for them to move downtown. And as you said, you have the SEPTA nightmare if you do head downtown.

Philly had a lot of strikes against it for this type of thing and they all stem from the way the it operates. Heavy heavy unionization makes contruction overly expensive, financing right now is impossible to get, no project of this scope will get built without heavy heavy local tax incentives, Philadelphia is in no position to give out incentive on that scale, there is a wage tax placed on people wgho work there, and last but not least the mass-transit system is broken, decaying, and corrupt.

Other than that things are great.
ha ha, well, despite all our problems, we are still one over our sports team and their lack of success.

Also, you are right about the Pharma firms staying in the suburbs or jersey or Delware. With the current economic scenario, it seems unlikely this project will start anytime soon, if at all.

Tags
1800 arch st., center city, comcast, philadelphia