daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2015, 03:22 AM   #181
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It doesn't make sense they're just idiots.
What doesn't make sense to me is the fact that there are taller buildings all around these suggested heights the FAA is proposing. Why say we want this building this short when the lot is surrounded by taller buildings?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; January 14th, 2015 at 03:27 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #182
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

Yes, air traffic safety is important. However, this seems overly unnecessary. This is more a bisecting; not a haircut. If developers are told by the government to do less than what they can, then the developers will take their business elsewhere. Miami is currently one the most active cities in the United States when it comes to real estate. You don't have to look further than this website to see that. It just doesn't bode well for Miami or the rest of the country if the FAA is allowed to bully developers into tailoring down supertall towers to run of the mill high rises just because of the slight possibility of rare air incidents.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #183
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperhighrise View Post
The FAA is as bad as the federal reserve.

they don't give a damn about tall buildings, it's all about money and greed for them.
It's about being bought off by airline lobbyists.

The FAA is rife with corruption.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #184
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Yes, air traffic safety is important. However, this seems overly unnecessary. This is more a bisecting; not a haircut.
It's what we've been saying down here for years. We don't need height restrictions this stringent unless the pilots are constantly drunk. It's this new one-engine, emergency airspace rule. I mean come on! Do you really need that much emergency airspace. I hope Swire doesn't cave either. They are a powerful development company. They've got the legal team and the aviation experts to really give the FAA a legal battle.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #185
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
[...]
Swire Properties' mixed-use Brickell City Centre wants to soar 1,039 feet above sea level, but the FAA said that would pose a hazard to air traffic. It recommended a height of 461 feet.
[...]
"The proposed structures are located 5.7 nautical miles or less east of the Miami International Airport," the FAA said in a statement.
Yet in New York, 432 PA, a 1,400 footer to the roof, is 4.5 nautical miles of Laguardia Airport ([email protected]).

What's going on in Miami? Something's not kosher ...
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #186
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

My only guess is that is has something to do with flight paths. There have been thousand-foot tall towers in NY well before civil aviation really took off, so they were able to establish air corridors around the areas of tallest development. Perhaps in Miami, this development is within some kind of safety margin of a firmly-established flight path.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #187
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It's about being bought off by airline lobbyists.

The FAA is rife with corruption.
and special corporate interests as well.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #188
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Yet in New York, 432 PA, a 1,400 footer to the roof, is 4.5 nautical miles of Laguardia Airport ([email protected]).

What's going on in Miami? Something's not kosher ...
I think it's one of the runways.... points straight towards Brickell

munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #189
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Eastern National Bank Moving Out, Building Will Be Demolished For One Brickell City Centre

Quote:
An office building slated for demolition to make way for One Brickell City Centre is being vacated by Eastern National Bank, which formerly owned the building.

The bank signed a lease to move their headquarters to Dadeland from Brickell Avenue, according to a press release (via TRD).

They have been operating on a lease from Swire Properties. The bank sold their 197,611-square-foot Brickell headquarters to Swire in 2011 for just $13.1 million in 2011. The property, which includes 50,172-square-feet of land, is now worth multiples of that price.

Swire intends to demolish the office building to build the mixed-use 1,049-foot tall One Brickell City Centre. The developer recently topped off several other building within the Brickell City Centre complex.

Old February 10th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #190
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Miami is quickly moving towards joining Istanbul, Manila, and Panama City as cities that propose a number of supertalls, but never build any of them.
Why does the FAA have so much sway there? It seems like they have more pull on what happens to buildings there than they do in other major US cities.

Last edited by Blue Flame; February 10th, 2015 at 10:09 PM.
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #191
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Miami is quickly moving towards joining Istanbul, Manila, and Panama City as cities that propose a number of supertalls, but never build any of them.
Actually I just came to this thread to basically say the same. Almost seven years since I joined, and still no sign of any of the Miami supertall threads ever making it to the U/C section.

droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #192
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Why does the FAA have so much sway there? It seems like they have more pull on what happens to buildings there than they do in other major US cities.
Because Miami's CBD is directly under the airport's flight paths.

UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #193
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

For decades there was little trouble with the FAA since Miami had only one tower of any significant height but now a sheer wall of towers has sprouted making the FAA more anxious about the flight pattern. I think the ultimate solution is to reconfigure runways at MIA but the expense of doing that along with resistance from neighbors makes that a very remote possibility.

The ongoing new proposals for supertalls signals an intense optimism that one will be built. And a few of the proposals are in areas where a supertall is allowable. Only market forces (especially the office market) have restrained their development.

Old March 27th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #194
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Actually, instead of considering a major reconfiguration of all the runways, all it would really take is for the angled runway to be abandoned or replaced with a runway that angles the other way. If you look at the overall footprint of the airport including the industrial area in a triangle on the west side, it would actually be potentially a much longer runway since the overall footprint of the airport forms more of a parallelogram than a rectangle. Sadly, the current angled runway is actually not the longest of the three since it bisects the parallelogram the shorter way. The only real impediment to a runway running roughly orthogonal to the current angled runway, is that it would cut through some of that industrial area, which is really a lot of parking lots and run of the mill buildings. However, without being too wide, it could easily cut off a chunk of the triangle which could be reconnected by a small tunnel. This isn't out of the question when you look at what Fort Lauderdale Airport did. This would take a ton of pressure off the lower Downtown and Brickell areas, and would not require encroaching on to any residential or private, non airport-related property. If the air industry continues its trend of larger size and efficiency, this would make a lot of sense since a 3+ mile runway could not only land a monstrous aircraft, it would give all of them more breathing room to accelerate more gradually. Bam, did I really just solve everybody's problems?

Here is a meme to make it abundantly clear what I am talking about:

image hosted on flickr

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Miami High Rise; March 27th, 2015 at 01:15 AM.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #195
ploppalopp

Likes (Received): 1023

Quote:
Feds OK height for 80-story One Brickell City Centre tower
Quote:
A soaring 80-story skyscraper on Brickell Avenue won’t endanger airplanes flying to and from Miami International Airport if it is built, the Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday.

“It is determined that the proposed structure ... would not be a hazard to air navigation,” the FAA wrote in a report issued to developer Swire Properties and obtained by the Miami Herald.

Swire had originally wanted to build One Brickell City Centre up to a height of 1,111 feet above sea level but settled for 1,049 feet after negotiations with the FAA, the agency wrote.

When built, One Brickell City Centre will be the tallest tower in Miami, according to Emporis, a website that tracks and ranks buildings.

The tallest building in Miami today is the Four Seasons Hotel & Tower (789 feet), but several developers have plans to outdo that height including Tibor Hollo at One Bayfront Plaza (1,010 feet) and Jeff Berkowitz at SkyRise Miami (1,000 feet).

The new Swire tower, designed by Arquitectonica, will include retail, office space, condos and a hotel. It is the centerpiece of the second phase of development at Brickell City Centre, a gargantuan, mixed-use project with a price-tag of $1.05 billion.

Swire will demolish the Eastern National Bank building at 799 Brickell Ave. and the former Northern Trust Bank building at 700 Brickell Ave. to make room for the project.

Miami-Dade County’s Aviation Department must also approve the tower’s height.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...#storylink=cpy
Great news!

Hudson11, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ploppalopp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #196
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

indeed, I'm looking forward to this with excitement.

http://arquitectonica.com/blog/portf...l-city-centre/

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #197
MichaelHunt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

This tower is terrible and will destroy Miami's skyline.
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #198
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Finally!

Sounds like it will probably be built eh?

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #199
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHunt View Post
This tower is terrible and will destroy Miami's skyline.
How can one tower destroy a whole skyline?

The design is simple but elegant and fits well in the skyline. I hope it gets build!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #200
MichaelHunt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
How can one tower destroy a whole skyline?

The design is simple but elegant and fits well in the skyline. I hope it gets build!
Ask all of the idiots who are stating that about 2 WTC.

MichaelHunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 brickell, brickell, miami, one brickell citycentre, swire