daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #161
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

That base is stunning! This building is quickly growing on me. The cladding particularly looks nice

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #162
dres0ne

Likes (Received): 26

I really hope this gets built. Other than pretty colors and lights, Miami's skyline is struggling! Just my opinion.

dres0ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #163
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by dres0ne View Post
I really hope this gets built. Other than pretty colors and lights, Miami's skyline is struggling! Just my opinion.
The Miami skyline is only struggling in terms of what the FAA will allow to be built in what part of the city with the proximity of MIA. Miami has the third largest skyline in the country now with buildings in the 100-200 meter range with taller buildings on the way.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/2...lanned-to.html

Quote:
The newest to jump in: Swire Properties, developers of Brickell Key and the gargantuan, multi-block Brickell City Centre complex now under construction west of Brickell Avenue. Their plan for a new mixed-use tower on Brickell Avenue, to be reviewed Thursday by the Miami City Commission, calls for a 1,049-foot cloud-buster that would be tied in to the new complex.

If Swire wins final approval — no sure thing because the site sits directly below air lanes to Miami International Airport — its One Brickell City Centre tower would dwarf the current champ, the Four Seasons on Brickell, by a skyscraper’s height.

But Swire has close competition: veteran Miami developer Tibor Hollo’s Florida East Coast Realty, which already has approval for a long-planned 1,010-foot tower on Biscayne Boulevard across from Bayfront Park, is asking the Federal Aviation Administration to allow them to up the building’s height. To 1,049 feet.

That’s the height Hollo wanted, but couldn’t get, when the One Bayfront Plaza project was first approved in 2007.

“Good luck to them,” the courtly Hollo said of Swire, with a chuckle. “But I don’t think the FAA will permit 1,049 feet on Brickell Avenue.”

Swire executives say they’re “pretty confident” they can get their tower approved by the FAA and Miami-Dade County’s aviation department, but stress they’re not deliberately going after the crown. They say it’s unlikely that any height record would stand for long in any case.

“We’re not trying to build the biggest or tallest of anything,” said Swire president Stephen Owens. “There’s no particular benefit to saying, ‘At one point, we had the tallest tower in Miami.’ If you look at Miami 20 years from now, there’s going to be lots of these tall buildings.”
Quote:
Like Hollo’s, Swire’s mega-tower wouldn’t be done until the end of the decade — tentatively 2019, Owens said. It would encompass four distinct uses: Retail at the base, offices, condos and a luxury hotel at the very top.

On two sides, the sleek glass tower would have giant square “notches” or cutouts, one 120 feet tall and another 350 feet. Not mere architectural flourishes, they serve to minimize wind loads on the building, reducing the need for structural reinforcement, Owens and Swire senior vice president Chris Gandolfo said. The tower would boast a first for Miami: all loading would take place two levels below ground
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/2...#storylink=cpy
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #164
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Well, I guess they've come a little back to earth...

1,049 ft. sounds much better than an outright challenge to the FAA. These guys want to build.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #165
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

The article says the FAA probably won't allow 1049 feet, here's to hoping they're very wrong.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #166
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The article says the FAA probably won't allow 1049 feet, here's to hoping they're very wrong.
Who in this article says this? Tibor Hollo, of course, because he wants to build the tallest building in Miami in One Bayfront Plaza. Swire says they are "pretty confident" they can get it. What exactly are you reading?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #167
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

All these towers are great, but noone talks about the street experience. Miami is in danger of being harsh and cold to the pedestrian with all these super bloks. Do people walk on the street in Miami or in underground? I don't see people walking on street which is worrying.

aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #168
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

FAA rules are just ridiculous. I am not sure why they stick to these 60 years old postulates without any change... seems crazy.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #169
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
FAA rules are just ridiculous. I am not sure why they stick to these 60 years old postulates without any change... seems crazy.

It is stupid, plenty of places have airports near super high buildings.

Old August 27th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #170
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
It is stupid, plenty of places have airports near super high buildings.
It depends on how the runways are oriented in relation to the skyline. What we don't understand is why this is such a big deal when One Brickell CityCentre will be located almost directly between runway approaches and not in the direct path of them. Hopefully, we'll still have a supertall come out of all this.

FAA: One Brickell City Centre Will Interfere With MIA Flight Rules

By exMiami Staff on August 26, 2014Swire Properties received a Notice of Presumed Hazard letter from the FAA last week for One Brickell City Centre.

After ten months of study, the FAA’s preliminary determination is that the tower’s proposed height of 1,040 feet above ground level and 1,049 above sea level (reduced from a previous request of 1,102 feet above ground) would alter required flight altitudes at MIA.

If Swire decides to continue to pursue the 1,040 foot height, the developer faces an uphill battle. FAA officials tell exMiami that flight altitudes at airports are ‘protected like gold’, as once they are lost they cannot be regained. Swire has 60 days to respond to the notice, but still had not contacted the FAA as of this morning.

http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/faa...-flight-rules/

My photo threads:

Old August 27th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #171
Jay

ugh, morons, hopefully he wins the fight (I'm pessimistic for some reason though.) Stupid people are always in a higher position of authority for some reason.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:09 AM   #172
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Awesome fact: This building will be the tallest building in the US that is not in NYC or Chicago
Not true. There is a supertall - the new Comcast Innovation & Technology Center - under construction in Philadelphia right now that will be 1,121 feet tall ... the tallest skyscraper in the US outside NYC and Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckScraperMiami#1 View Post

It's A Shame They Didn't Build the Airport Farther West !!
They can't. It's impossible at any price.

About 30 - 35 years ago there was an ambitious proposal to build a super jetport for Miami, about 20 miles west, northwest, or southwest of Miami. They can't build east, because that's the Atlantic Ocean or north because of dense urban development (North Miami, Aventura, Hallandale, Hollywood) or south because of dense urban development (Coral Gables, South Miami, Kendall, Cutler Ridge). That proposal failed.

West of Miami is the Florida Everglades. Millions of acres of state and federal protected wetlands and a unique ecological system that is a World Heritage Site of the United Nations. There are too many endangered species of wildlife and rare plant species. The entire southern peninsula of Florida depends on the fresh water from the Biscayne Aquifer which is fed by the slow moving waters of the Everglades. Any more degradation of the Everglades would be an environmental catastrophe of unthinkable proportions.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Aceventura liked this post
Philly Bud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #173
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

While we wait for final approvals, why not enjoy some art?

Spinning Circles Appear at the Site of One Brickell City Centre

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #174
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2820

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
It depends on how the runways are oriented in relation to the skyline. What we don't understand is why this is such a big deal when One Brickell CityCentre will be located almost directly between runway approaches and not in the direct path of them. Hopefully, we'll still have a supertall come out of all this.

FAA: One Brickell City Centre Will Interfere With MIA Flight Rules

By exMiami Staff on August 26, 2014Swire Properties received a Notice of Presumed Hazard letter from the FAA last week for One Brickell City Centre.

After ten months of study, the FAA’s preliminary determination is that the tower’s proposed height of 1,040 feet above ground level and 1,049 above sea level (reduced from a previous request of 1,102 feet above ground) would alter required flight altitudes at MIA.

If Swire decides to continue to pursue the 1,040 foot height, the developer faces an uphill battle. FAA officials tell exMiami that flight altitudes at airports are ‘protected like gold’, as once they are lost they cannot be regained. Swire has 60 days to respond to the notice, but still had not contacted the FAA as of this morning.

http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/faa...-flight-rules/
Well it's been more than 60 days since the deadline for Swire to respond. I wonder when will we hear a final determination from the FAA. It seems absurd that they won't let the final height be 1,040 feet instead of chopping off 30 feet from the top. It would be cool to have the tallest tower in the Southeast US.

Bobdreamz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #175
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22533

saw this on SSP, it seems the FAA is still in 'bitching mode'

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...mi-towers.html

Quote:
[...]
Swire Properties' mixed-use Brickell City Centre wants to soar 1,039 feet above sea level, but the FAA said that would pose a hazard to air traffic. It recommended a height of 461 feet.
[...]
"The proposed structures are located 5.7 nautical miles or less east of the Miami International Airport," the FAA said in a statement. "The FAA issued Notices of Presumed Hazard (NPH) for the proposals indicating that initial studies have been completed. The NPH is not a final FAA determination, it is an interim step in the process used to notify the proponent of the initial findings and begin negotiations on possible mitigations."

The developers have 60 days to respond to the FAA.
If Swire caves regarding the height i'll be severely disappointed. In my opinion, sacrificing that much height would be an insult and dangerous precedent to developers of high rise buildings in the US everywhere. It's a similar situation with One Bayfront Plaza and its developer.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #176
Jay

Few things I hate more than the FAA.

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #177
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I don't really understand how this works...

Quote:
"The proposed structures are located 5.7 nautical miles or less east of the Miami International Airport ... The FAA issued Notices of Presumed Hazard (NPH) for the proposals"
Yet in New York...

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #178
Jay

It doesn't make sense they're just idiots.

Old January 14th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #179
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Few things I hate more than the FAA.
The FAA is as bad as the federal reserve.

they don't give a damn about tall buildings, it's all about money and greed for them.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #180
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I mean, the FAA is responsible for establishing regulatory safety standards for the airline industry, so they're pretty important.

Give a damn about tall buildings?? Nobody gives a damn about tall buildings except us, dude. And skyscrapers are born out of capitalistic speculation, so I think your anger is misguided.

Last edited by j-biz; January 14th, 2015 at 03:20 AM.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 brickell, brickell, miami, one brickell citycentre, swire