daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #21
Žemėpatis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 190

Warsaw and Moscow!
London and Paris
Žemėpatis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #22
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4018

How can London's skyline be overrated when it's barely even rated?

London's skyline has more to look at then most in the world. Not often you can see neo-gothic towers, a castle, cathedral, churches, a massive wheel, football stadium and modern skyscrapers all on one skyline.

Infact.

Only London offers that.

But if glass and straight lines tickle your fancy, then over course London is overrated.

SturmBeobachter liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #23
sepul

Likes (Received): 1566

London is one of the greatest and most beautiful cities on Earth, but the skyline is overrated (in Euro forum), though a skyline lesser than 10/10 not in the least bit hurt the great city.
sepul no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #24
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6446

People like Birmingham have helped London achieve overrated status on this forum. A great city, sure... but as a skyline, it has a long way to go.

BlurredLines, Cv1, Žemėpatis, Highcliff liked this post
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #25
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Right now as it is it has little coherence (apart from Canary Wharf) It should look better if a tall tower is built on the site of the Pinnacle and if something joins 20 Fenchurch Street with the rest of the cluster.

BlurredLines, Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #26
Good Karma
Live and let live

Likes (Received): 139

IMHO European skylines are actually better then most generic North American or Asian skylines(full of similar bland buildings next to one another). Naturally there will be exceptions. But Europe skylines are classier, diverse, historic alongside modern, more interesting and in fact they are underrated. Just because they may not be as tall as others doesn't mean they are worse. Skyline in the literal sense isn't just tall buildings, it's how the skyline looks against the background of the horizon and in that sense European skylines are much more interesting. The cities also tend to be older so can't just demolish historical sites for tall skyscrapers.

I'm not sure how you can call European cities overrated when they aren't even rated, just have a look at the 'Worlds best skyline' or top ten skylines in the world threads. European Skylines ARE underatted.

Birmingham liked this post

Last edited by Good Karma; September 24th, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Good Karma no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #27
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

Everyone else's.
Scba no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #28
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

London: it's way too spread out and doesn't seem to have a place
Dubai: too many ugly towers, almost nothing "inbetween"
New York: this one's difficult to explain. I love all the historic skyscrapers, but right now it's being murdered by boring glass boxes ... Hudson Yards and WTC towers don't seem bad, but a lot of projects are there just to make $$$
Kopacz no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #29
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1746

I'd say London's was underrated if anything. Many skylines are almost unrecognisable because they're just a load of blocks.

London has a wide variety of unique shapes spreading over hundreds of years. The skyline tells of the story of the city it represents better than any other skyline.

BlurredLines, Birmingham liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #30
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19168

I guess an "Underrated Skylines" thread would be more interesting.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #31
BlurredLines

Likes (Received): 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
+1 Also generally lacks height, and only looks taller in pics because residential towers tend to have more floors. I have it 4th in Canada, and many people rate it as high as 4th in all of North America!

I think Sydney is *starting* to fall into the overrated category. Still incredibly beautiful, dense, and impressive, but no longer the best in Australia and living off reputation in that regard. Looking forward to seeing what the new (more substantial) construction can do for it, but at this point Melbourne is blowing it out of the water, and I only see that gap widening. Height limit in downtown hurts.

Sao Paulo. It looks incredible and enormous at first glance, but when you really think about it, if you put it into NYC it wouldn't make a dent in the skyline. Even NYC's "overflow" areas, such as the buildings flanking Central Park in upper Manhattan, are still taller and more substantial than most of SP.

I feel like, for me, a skyline needs a nice balance of height and density. In this case, all 3 of these have the density, but lack the height (particularly Vancouver and Sao Paulo). I don't think that they are necessarily bad skylines, just not worthy of the praise that is often heaped on them.

If you put the Empire State Building and WTC as 2 orienting points in Sao Paulo, would the city really still look huge? If you put Vancouver (and it's 0 200m buildings) across a river from downtown Los Angeles (and it's 11 200m buildings) would we still be so quick to rate Vancouver as the better skyline?
I don't think São Paulo is overrated because I don't hear much about it. But yeah melbourne's skyline is better than sydney but sydney is still great
BlurredLines no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #32
BlurredLines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
I guess an "Underrated Skylines" thread would be more interesting.
There already is.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #33
BlurredLines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
New York: this one's difficult to explain. I love all the historic skyscrapers, but right now it's being murdered by boring glass boxes ... Hudson Yards and WTC towers don't seem bad, but a lot of projects are there just to make $$$
Nah, New York City skyline is better than 99% of all the skylines in the world. I wouldn't call it overrated because most people only dream of having a skyline like that in their city.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #34
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19168

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredLines View Post
There already is.
Where? While here I've named only two, in an "underrated" one, I can think of more than ten.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:04 AM   #35
Cv1

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
People like Birmingham have helped London achieve overrated status on this forum. A great city, sure... but as a skyline, it has a long way to go.
Definitely.

In my opinion:

Los Angeles
Sao Paulo
London
Toronto

...among others, are overrated.
Cv1 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #36
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
London: it's way too spread out and doesn't seem to have a place
Dubai: too many ugly towers, almost nothing "inbetween"
That's a ridiculous statement, invest millions building and let's see if you don't want them back. Building is bussines, and so is (sadly) architecture nowadays.
IngMarco está en línea ahora  
Old September 25th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #37
DCFC1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
London.

Your're a fool.
DCFC1 no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #38
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6446

Awesome rebuttal.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #39
AJIekc

Likes (Received): 15528

London and Tokyo
AJIekc no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #40
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4018

Quote:
And people like you have helped achieved notoriety on this forum as being biased against certain cities. London being one of them.

As I said. London is not rated so how can it be overrated?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If all the worlds best skylines are full of modern skyscrapers which all look practically the same as the next skyline then it's a pretty dull comparison and a very dull way to look at things.

If anything. The fact you over look the different types of architecture and shapes and uses on the London skyline shows a distinct lack of architectural knowledge and the fact you judge asthetics and the terminology of "skyline" merely on height and number begs the question ... what are you actually doing on this forum??

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Birmingham; September 25th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Birmingham no está en línea  

Closed Thread