daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #61
BlurredLines

Likes (Received): 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I think that is because a lot of people are only familiar with lakefront profile of the city. I didn't realize how far from the lakefront the Toronto skyline extended until Isaidso showed me a few years back.
Yeah I guess :/
BlurredLines no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #62
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I'm sorry if u feel offended, but I don't find any wow factor in London's skyline. London's cityscape is still stuck in 19th century and hasn't modernized very much. Those Gothic architecture might have impressed me 100 years ago, but there are much more visually striking skyline in the world right now. London's skyline looks basically flat against the ground from a distance, and this doesn't fascinate me as a skyscraper enthusiast
I'm not offended. The question was most overrated skylines. How can a skyline which isn't rated by the majority, overrated? That's by query.

Are you saying London is overrated because it is a major world city and should have more modern highrises??

If that is the case then why don't you list Milan, Paris, Rome, Berlin etc etc.

Any city with sightlines like London has, wouldn't grow upwards as much as others who do not. If anything London is underrated for being a historical city keeping up with modern times by developing widespread modern day towers. No other city in the world has such a scope of development which encompasses historical architectural high-rise structures with the modern skyscraper living.

You should appreciate a city like London and to a lesser extent Paris in developing in time while still retaining the historical architecture which are the most impressive types of their forms anywhere in the world.

You'd soon get bored of looking at mundane glass office blocks if that was the only architecture on a city skyline believe me.

Last edited by Birmingham; September 26th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #63
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

In my opinion, Shenzhen. I can't believe some people put it in the top five. An agglomeration of the same ugly residential buildings and glass boxes doesn't impress me. There isn't diversity.

Old September 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #64
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

London probably isn't much but I don't think it's overrated... I actually think it's pretty...

Highcliff liked this post
Disturbing Reality no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #65
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
In my opinion, Shenzhen. I can't believe some people put it in the top five. An agglomeration of the same ugly residential buildings and glass boxes doesn't impress me. There isn't diversity.

Shenzhen is a true skyscrapercity and this is what a 21st century modern megacity would look like. Shenzhen is still very young and most of it's taller buildings are yet to rise above the ground, so it's too early to pass judgement. If you're bored by tall glass towers you're better off at countryside. Shenzhen has a huge population and it needs to build tall apartments to make most of the usable land. As it's bordered by sea and mountains it can't afford to waste space by building 2 storied blocks all around. Wait fot 5 more years, then you might be impressed. Shenzhen is one of the best planned megacity in the world

bozenBDJ, Highcliff liked this post
Joseph Gomes no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #66
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:

Hey you should update your picture for all,Shenzhen is one of China's fastest growing cities For example,the secend picture you posted is Gangxia village,which has been demolished,you can see the white building which is the only one Be retained
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresabaixue View Post
Gangxia village
GangXia village is located in Shenzhen's Futian District, Southeast Area Villages.GangXia has a total population of about 68,000, of which 900 people resident villagers, temporary population of about 67,000. Available land for construction area of ​​151,600 square meters, the net volume rate of 3.4. The main total constructionarea of ​​514,000 square meters, 590 buildings.

Project Planning:

look at this video,you will learn more
http://www.56.com/u87/v_NzI0MDk1NTY.html

look at this thread to learn project progress:
SHENZHEN | Gemdale Gangxia Tower | 380m | 1247ft | 180m | 591ft | U/C :
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1505398&page=8

Highcliff liked this post
teresabaixue no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #67
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredLines View Post
I'd actually consider Toronto a bit underrated tbh. It's so beautiful and unique but doesn't get mentioned a lot when people discuss skylines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I think that is because a lot of people are only familiar with the lakefront profile of the city. I didn't realize how far from the lakefront the Toronto skyline extended until Isaidso showed me a few years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredLines View Post
Yeah I guess :/
This is the photo that opened my eyes to how big and powerful the Toronto skyline actually is and it's a few years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnerico View Post
Goes North from Lake and not so much east-west.

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2009/07...731-aerial.jpg
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Zack Fair, BlurredLines, Highcliff liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #68
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

That picture is too old that KK100 has not been built

www.szpichappy.com

that old picture didn't includ 4 u/c buildings,and that area is only 1/4 of Futian CBD
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #69
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2637

Damn Shenzhen look at that urbanity! it's awesome.
IngMarco está en línea ahora  
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #70
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Shenzen can have as many tall buildings as it wants, the skyline is to spread out and filled with to many highrise residential towers to look good. ~Overrated
N.Y.C.H no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #71
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoul_Korea View Post
If you don't count the 5-6 supertalls, the rest of Hong Kong is this:

[IMG]http://us.*****.com/400wm/400/400/globalphoto/globalphoto1110/globalphoto111000122/11085804-una-foto-di-case-dei-quartieri-poveri-di-hong-kong.jpg[/IMG]

So, please...
são paulo, my hometown also has some dirty building...

http://fotografia.folha.uol.com.br/g...ficio-sarajevo
Highcliff no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #72
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Shenzen can have as many tall buildings as it wants, the skyline is to spread out and filled with to many highrise residential towers to look good. ~Overrated
Shenzhen is overrated? It's the arguably most underrated skyscrapercity in the world. Not even many Asians know about this city's existence. After 10 years this city will boast highest number of skyscrapers in the world, and very few people are aware of the city's transformation outside this website

I'm glad that I came to know about Shenzhen, thanks to skyscrapercity. I think this city should get more publicity, seldom we get to see such a vibrant and well planned megacity with extremely modern and developed urban infrastructure.
Old September 27th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #73
Cariad

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
+1 Also generally lacks height, and only looks taller in pics because residential towers tend to have more floors. I have it 4th in Canada, and many people rate it as high as 4th in all of North America!

I think Sydney is *starting* to fall into the overrated category. Still incredibly beautiful, dense, and impressive, but no longer the best in Australia and living off reputation in that regard. Looking forward to seeing what the new (more substantial) construction can do for it, but at this point Melbourne is blowing it out of the water, and I only see that gap widening. Height limit in downtown hurts.

Sao Paulo. It looks incredible and enormous at first glance, but when you really think about it, if you put it into NYC it wouldn't make a dent in the skyline. Even NYC's "overflow" areas, such as the buildings flanking Central Park in upper Manhattan, are still taller and more substantial than most of SP.

I feel like, for me, a skyline needs a nice balance of height and density. In this case, all 3 of these have the density, but lack the height (particularly Vancouver and Sao Paulo). I don't think that they are necessarily bad skylines, just not worthy of the praise that is often heaped on them.

If you put the Empire State Building and WTC as 2 orienting points in Sao Paulo, would the city really still look huge? If you put Vancouver (and it's 0 200m buildings) across a river from downtown Los Angeles (and it's 11 200m buildings) would we still be so quick to rate Vancouver as the better skyline?
I wouldn't say Sydney is overrated, it is still a good skyline and it is purely the natural location of the city that helps, but I would definitely say it is a tired skyline. The quintessential photos of Sydney with the Bridge and Opera House, shows that that part of the city hasn't changed. There are lots of new buildings, just nothing that has impacted on the traditional skyline view. Even Barangaroo will have little impact on the skyline we are used to seeing.
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #74
BlurredLines

Shenzhen is amazing. I live near china and I rarely see Shenzhen mentioned in any top 10 yet it's one of the best. All I hear about in china is Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Highcliff, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #75
BlurredLines

Quote:
That picture is too old that KK100 has not been built

www.szpichappy.com
Wow!

Highcliff, TowerVerre:), SimsPlanet2 liked this post
Old September 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #76
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Quote:
these small buildings remind me strongly tokyo....
Highcliff no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #77
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
I like what they did with the vegetation. Good work
Anyway the buildings lack imagination. In the cluster of the right everything are boxes!

TowerVerre:), Highcliff liked this post
Frozt no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #78
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Quote:
I like what they did with the vegetation. Good work
Anyway the buildings lack imagination. In the cluster of the right everything are boxes!
Box is a safe design to play with. London and Dubai tried to experiment with new bizarre designs and now many people call their skylines tacky. Shenzhen skyline should be commented on after 5 more years, because most of its taller buildings are yet to be built. After 5 years this city's skyline will transform dramatically. And it is indeed the most underrated skyline in the world
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #79
DCFC1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 221

Sticking to the essence of this thread...

San Francisco is over rated because of it's location. As is Sydney.

Vancouver is over rated due to it's lack of quality and diversity.And again it's location.

There are many skylines which look great at night all neon and dazzling yet shabby and bland in the day time. They are all over rated.

Chinese cities such as Shenzen are either your thing or they're not. They're either a sea of boring residential tower blocks lacking diversity or a sea of urbanity overwhelming the senses...They are not over rated or under rated it's just differing aesthetics.
DCFC1 no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #80
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

Definitely London! Reading the thread title it immediately came to my mind and as it turns out, to most of the other posters here as well.
It's not that the skyline is uninteresting or bad looking (no, it isn't!), it's that it is so annoyingly overhyped by a very loud minority here on the forums. Just visit the "Best European Skyline"-thread or the "Top Skylines by 2025" -thread...
Within Europe Paris, Frankfurt, Moscow and even Warsaw can give London a run for it's money and on a world wide scale...come on, that is just ridiculous! And no, not even in twenty years will London rival all the booming Asian cities or some of the traditional skyscraper cities in North America. For every tiny supertall London builds, they build 10, for every skyscraper, they build 100 and for every highrise they build 10.000.

Last edited by Tiaren; September 28th, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Tiaren no está en línea  

Closed Thread