daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 28th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #81
jpsolarized

Likes (Received): 613

Most Latinamerican cities are ugly skyline-wise.

Sao Paulo is way too overrated, it's boring, a sea of white residential skyscrapers, no composition, all spread out like "build it there and there" etc. Even its CBD is very boring design-wise.

All brazilian cities are way too overrated, if rated as interesting at all.

Atlanta's skyline is kind of bland too.
jpsolarized no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #82
BlurredLines

Likes (Received): 1990

Too many apartment buildings just ruin it for me -.-

bozenBDJ, Highcliff liked this post
BlurredLines no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #83
josealvesjr

Likes (Received): 316

Rio skyline is beautiful, specially with cbd and the mountains on the back.
josealvesjr no está en línea  
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #84
Blah
Jafa

Likes (Received): 41

Never really thought of London as overrated simply because it's never rated. I find London's far more interesting than the likes of Dubai. Dubai is hideous. A soulless skyline built by slave labour and funded by ego maniacs.

So my answer would be Dubai.
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #85
BlurredLines

Likes (Received): 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah View Post
Never really thought of London as overrated simply because it's never rated. I find London's far more interesting than the likes of Dubai. Dubai is hideous. A soulless skyline built by slave labour and funded by ego maniacs.

Not just the soul-less ness or labour but dubai is just ugly, randomly shaped buildings that just don't make sense.

amgonzal liked this post
BlurredLines no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #86
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Never really thought of London as overrated simply because it's never rated. I find London's far more interesting than the likes of Dubai. Dubai is hideous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredLines View Post
Not just the soul-less ness or labour but dubai is just ugly, randomly shaped buildings that just don't make sense.
There are some people who would say this about the London skyline over Dubai, so to each his own.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #87
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
these small buildings remind me strongly tokyo....

yes, . you can see them in detail

Tokyo panorama
http://360gigapixels.com/tokyo-tower...?v=340.2,4.7,3

I think this is interesting though it is a little bit old(2009)
http://yuro-nakao.bglb.jp/tokyo2/index.html

Last edited by castermaild55; September 29th, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
castermaild55 no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #88
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

I have read in this thread that Hong Kong skyline is overrated !
Seriously , what kind of weed are they smoking ?!!

With 48 200m+ building , and with approximatively 700 highrise Buiildings , and the most gorgeous highrise density in all the world , even Manhattan's density is a joke if we compare it with the density of Hk Island !

You can say all what you want about the city , criticize it's policy ,complain about it's pollution or it's lack of culture , but when it comes to Skysrapers and Skyline , you can't say that's overrated , it's just too absurd !
Hong Kong is THE Skyscrapercity , the most vertical city in the planet !
skanny no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #89
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
I have read in this thread that Hong Kong skyline is overrated !
Seriously , what kind of weed are they smoking ?!!

With 48 200m+ building , and with approximatively 700 highrise Buiildings , and the most gorgeous highrise density in all the world , even Manhattan's density is a joke if we compare it with the density of Hk Island !

You can say all what you want about the city , criticize it's policy ,complain about it's pollution or it's lack of culture , but when it comes to Skysrapers and Skyline , you can't say that's overrated , it's just too absurd !
Hong Kong is THE Skyscrapercity , the most vertical city in the planet !
Hongkong has over 120 200m+,3000 100m+ ,incomplete statistics

skanny, bozenBDJ, Highcliff liked this post
teresabaixue no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #90
skanny

Can you give me the source of those statistics ? I used the outdated Emporis !

bozenBDJ liked this post
skanny no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #91
teresabaixue

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
Can you give me the source of those statistics ? I used the outdated Emporis !
http://www.gaoloumi.com/viewthread.p...age%3D1&page=1
this list is 200+
for 100+ We do not have detailed information,this work is meaningless,but here is the number about 90m+ 3124
http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html,that is incomplete statistics,so I said hongkong has over 3000 100m+

skanny liked this post
teresabaixue no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #92
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsolarized View Post
Sao Paulo is way too overrated, it's boring, a sea of white residential skyscrapers, no composition, all spread out like "build it there and there" etc. Even its CBD is very boring design-wise.
I guess you must have seen two or three pics of São Paulo in your entire life, so maybe you're not familiar with São Paulo's office developments.

And which CBD do you mean? There are several all across the city. Here some pics of the oldest ones (Old Downtown):

image hosted on flickr

Arranha-céus de São Paulo por twiga_swala, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Edifício Rolim por luisrftc, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Rua do Comércio por luisrftc, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Edificio Martinelli por Fábio Jr. Alves, no Flickr

Por Tchello

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Por Lucas FTC - Flickr

About being overrated, well that's just absurd, a São Paulo NEVER features in those best skyline lists. You might not like São Paulo's skyline but that doesn't mean it's overrated.

More on São Paulo's CBDs: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1493917. You'll see it's way more than White residential highrises.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #93
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

balneario camboriu in brazil is a bit overrated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Aguilera View Post
Balneário Camboriú

cambc
Highcliff no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #94
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

London better than this? I love London, but do you think its comparable?
Dubai isn't the most underrated, but probably the most hated, by people like you

Highcliff, 6y 4 ever liked this post
Frozt no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #95
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

So many ugly buildings in dubai
Archaean no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #96
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

IN terms of volume, there is almost no match to Dubai, but you can count the real good designs in Dubai on the fingers of 2 hands basically.
Eric Offereins no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #97
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
I have to give Faisal Shourov right. London include definitely not (yet) at the best skylines in the world . Even in Europe here are denser skylines (eg Paris, Frankfurt) in which the same number of skyscrapers in a cluster are
and are not divided into two clusters. But London has most major skyscrapers in Europe in planning. (12x 200m, approx 26x> = 150m)---> London - Full Summary of Projects

Therefore, I believe in the future London can catch up with cities like Miami or Toronto.

by Sir Chest
Ummm, Can London catch Miami? I would say it's very possible. However Miami and Toronto are not in the same league and should not even be in the same sentence together, you have to be at least a bit delusional to think London could ever catch Toronto. I'm looking at the summery link and the numbers that you posted. They are looking really impressive for London and it seems to be doing much better these days. However it does not compare to Toronto's
- 7 towers over 200m under construction.

- 2 towers over 300m proposed
- 4 towers between 280m and 290m proposed
- 2 towers over 270m proposed
- 2 towers over 260m proposed
and so on (as you keep going lower in height) totaling 25 Towers over 200m proposed.

- 17 towers between 150, and 199m Under construction
- 27 towers between 150m and 199m Proposed

And all of this on top of a skyline that already vastly surpasses London. Just a reality check, that's all.

And guys seriously, you can hate on Dubai for having built its skyline from slave labour all you want, that will never change the fact that it's still an impressive skyline, it has places to catch up like for example, density... but that will come with time I'm sure. And the design of it's buildings, well to each his own, I like some of them and I hate others and my opinion or yours for that matter on that subject will not change whether or not the skyline is over rated. When it comes to Dubai I get the sense that people are just jealous and if half the sky scrapers from Dubai were in THEIR OWN CITIES they would all of a sudden become architectural wonders and you would all be pissing yourselves with excitement.

Last edited by neilio; September 29th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
neilio no está en línea  
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #98
skanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

London better than this? I love London, but do you think its comparable?
Dubai isn't the most underrated, but probably the most hated, by people like you
Dubai is the biggest non-pedestrian city in the world , more than 2 millions inhabitants and not even one guy in the promenade's photo above !
skanny no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #99
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
Ummm, Can London catch Miami? I would say it's very possible. However Miami and Toronto are not in the same league and should not even be in the same sentence together, you have to be at least a bit delusional to think London could ever catch Toronto.
No, Miami and Toronto are not in the same league. I thought Miami could challenge Toronto at one point for the 3rd largest skyline in North America, but not the way they're building in Toronto. Toronto is more of a challenge to Chicago, with they way they are building in Toronto now and not building in Chicago, than London is to Toronto.

I don't think London can catch Miami in over all density with the way we are building now and with what is proposed and ready to start construction soon, but Miami has height restrictions that London doesn't have that could give London a more impressive skyline in the future.

Miami will put more distance on other American skylines as 3rd in the U.S. behind New York and Chicago in the future, but won't rise in stature with the rest of the world I think because we have height restrictions. For years, Singapore was one of the top 10 skylines in the world despite its height restrictions, which are more stringent than what we have here in Miami, but that's changing fast.

image hosted on flickr

CSC_0721 by QuantumX, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio View Post
And guys seriously, you can hate on Dubai for having built its skyline from slave labour all you want, that will never change the fact that it's still an impressive skyline, it has places to catch up like for example, density... but that will come with time I'm sure. And the design of it's buildings, well to each his own, I like some of them and I hate others and my opinion or yours for that matter on that subject will not change whether or not the skyline is over rated. When it comes to Dubai I get the sense that people are just jealous and if half the sky scrapers from Dubai were in THEIR OWN CITIES they would all of a sudden become architectural wonders and you would all be pissing yourselves with excitement.
All in all, I think Dubai is the closest thing to looking like Coruscant that we have here on earth.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #100
gumnut

Likes (Received): 139

What an insulting thread!

streetlegal liked this post
gumnut no está en línea  

Closed Thread