daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #101
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Post #2 of this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
They aren't that empty. Also this thread will do nothing but cause arguments.
Post #12 of this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I have a feeling you are right!

Careful now! I'm feeling a thread closing or an infraction coming on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumnut View Post
What an insulting thread!
I want to get more of a consensus first before I close it.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Zack Fair liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #102
saiho

Likes (Received): 1216

London is overrated.

Don't understand why Shenzhen is brought up. If the skyline is not English speaking, North American and/or European is safe to assume its underrated to a certain extent. Given how Western/Anglo-centric "mainstream" skyscraper fanning is ATM. Except for Japan, the western world knows Japan extremely well relative to its neighbors.

Toronto on the other hand I can see why people think its overrated. Its got that inverse tip of the iceberg thing going on. All these proposed buildings make up most of the "claimed activity" that everyone is boasting about in future renders etc., jumping the gun.

When a much smaller amount is actually happening and changing the skyline TODAY. Its still impressive but there is definitely some overhype. There are ~20 +150m buildings U/C in Toronto and ~100 proposed. Man if you did the same to Toronto transit we would have the world's best transit system.

Nowadays, you get comparisons and chest thumping about how we have more activity than New York in the media. Even though New York has slightly less projects than us, all their projects are monster landmark tower and mega developments. While Toronto is mostly of filler cookie cutter condos.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Urban Toronto believes that Toronto is the only city that is building buildings. That being said I do love my home's skyline and it will certainly grow well and hold out to the "rush" Asian mega skylines.
saiho no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #103
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumnut View Post
What an insulting thread!
Pfft, you're just mad that Melbourne is better than Sydney.
(troll face).
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #104

Likes (Received): 1111

Toronto
009 no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #105
adejola99

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
All in all, I think Dubai is the closest thing to looking like Coruscant that we have here on earth.
This
adejola99 no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #106
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

No matter you hate Dubai or not, it's truly a special skyscrapercity in the world. It might not have the density of Hong Kong or architecture of New York, but it has the sheer amount of skyscrapers to be called a remarkable skyscrapercity. You may dislike UAE for their economy, or their culture (which is insanely stupid imo), but one can't deny that Dubai has brought supertall building revolution on this planet. It it rightly deserves the recognition it gets. 18 supertall is not a matter of joke, whether you like Dubai's architecture or not.

Like everybody else, I also believe London is extremely overhyped. With its puny skyline, I don't understand how Londoners attempt to compare their skyline and downplay cities like Dubai or Hong Kong which are renowned for their skylines. If London's handful amount of buildings were built in any Chinese city, they would be labeled as ugly or tacky. London skyline is talked about because of London's global fame only, nothing else.
Joseph Gomes no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #107
adejola99

Likes (Received): 25

Actually it's..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoul_Korea View Post
New York, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and London is the most overrated.
adejola99 no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #108
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

London is the most overrated skyline. Singapore is also a bit overrated.
Sid Vicious no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #109
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4018

Maybe London is the most overrated because it never had a highrise skyline up until 2000-2001 and the fact it's transformation over the last 10 years has seen alot of positive articles wrote about it??

Maybe it's growth upwards has caused more of a stir because of it's traditional lowrise topography?? I know I have been more intrigued with London's growth upwards then most traditionally highrise cities.

And Joseph Gomez. London skyscrapers would be called tacky in Chinese cities?? Swiss RE, Leadenhall, The Shard and Fenchurch are the only towers that differ from a boxyness design.

These 4 skyscrapers are the best architecturally designed towers anywhere in Europe. Built anywhere they would be regarded as the best architecturally designed towers.

Get that frigging chip of your shoulder. You sound ridiculous.
Birmingham no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #110
BlurredLines

Likes (Received): 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
No matter you hate Dubai or not, it's truly a special skyscrapercity in the world. It might not have the density of Hong Kong or architecture of New York, but it has the sheer amount of skyscrapers to be called a remarkable skyscrapercity. You may dislike UAE for their economy, or their culture (which is insanely stupid imo), but one can't deny that Dubai has brought supertall building revolution on this planet. It it rightly deserves the recognition it gets. 18 supertall is not a matter of joke, whether you like Dubai's architecture or not.

Like everybody else, I also believe London is extremely overhyped. With its puny skyline, I don't understand how Londoners attempt to compare their skyline and downplay cities like Dubai or Hong Kong which are renowned for their skylines. If London's handful amount of buildings were built in any Chinese city, they would be labeled as ugly or tacky. London skyline is talked about because of London's global fame only, nothing else.

True that.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
BlurredLines no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #111
BlurredLines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

London better than this? I love London, but do you think its comparable?
Dubai isn't the most underrated, but probably the most hated, by people like you
LOL when did I ever say london is better than dubai. I just said london isn't nearly as overrated as dubai. Dubai ain't as special as everybody says it is.

KlausDiggy liked this post
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #112
BlurredLines

Quote:
Post #2 of this thread

Post #12 of this thread

I want to get more of a consensus first before I close it.
People have a thread for ugly buildings, overrated buildings, ugly cities and everything idk why people are getting so butthurt over this one.
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #113
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredLines View Post
People have a thread for ugly buildings, overrated buildings, ugly cities and everything idk why people are getting so butthurt over this one.
And I really don't care for any of those threads. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #114
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredLines View Post
People have more of a connection with entire cities, especially cities that they live in more so than individual buildings. There is ego attached. ON TOP of that, a near majority of the people here (like ANY FORUM) are not that intelligent or are simply lazy and fail to research the facts before posting. When judging a skyline you should always take into account a few things, for example:
-natural setting (to an extent)
-aesthetics, are the buildings nice looking, are they good quality? How about the shape of the skyline, Vancouver's table top vs Toronto's peaked mountain.
-height and Quantity statistics, this is where most morons fail horribly. There are like 100 different websites you can get these stats from, if all else fails take a look at the damn skyscraperpage diagrams, THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

As a result of peoples failure to research properly, they spew retarded crap out of their mouths (fingers) which in turn offends others because of how factually wrong they are and how badly that retarded crap misrepresents their city or a city that they like.

For example, If I were to say "If every proposal in Chicago and Toronto were built within the next 5 years, Toronto would have a higher average height than Chicago and MORE towers over 200m" I would be stating A FACT, but the uneducated masses will simply spew crap about how Toronto could NEVER catch Chicago and turn it into a big city vs city pissing contest, rather than just... researching and confirming those statistics and facts... And if they lose that argument they would graduate onto the next argument "Well most of them probably wont be built yadayadayada", even though we've calculated that roughly 80% of all Toronto proposals are constructed (which is a VERY high success rate). So why do people get butt hurt? Because they are stupid and refuse to research and accept the facts. People who are highly knowledgeable and intelligent... DONT GET BUTTHURT.

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by neilio; October 2nd, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
neilio no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #115
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10817

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Toronto on the other hand I can see why people think its overrated. Its got that inverse tip of the iceberg thing going on.
Do you think people include proposals and construction in their ratings? I suppose there's some of that going on, but I suspect most people use photographs supplemented with data to arrive at their decisions. Btw, what did you mean by 'inverse tip of the iceberg'?

Quote:
Sometimes I get the feeling that Urban Toronto believes that Toronto is the only city that is building buildings.
That site can be a little much to take, but I do find its members to be well informed/well traveled. It's a city based site as the name implies so development that happens beyond Toronto is not the focus. It's an 'industry' site populated by people in architecture, urban planning, and the development industry.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #116
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
balneario camboriu in brazil is a bit overrated...
never even heard of the place..
how is it overrated?

Sao Paolo is NOT overrated.
You don't see it often on rankings..

BlurredLines liked this post
wino no está en línea  
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #117
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
London is the most overrated skyline. Singapore is also a bit overrated.
I agree on Singapore.
always in the top 10 rankings.. which I really don't understand..
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #118
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
If the skyline is not English speaking, North American and/or European is safe to assume its underrated to a certain extent. Given how Western/Anglo-centric "mainstream" skyscraper fanning is ATM. Except for Japan, the western world knows Japan extremely well relative to its neighbors.
I agree that it's very Western-Anglo centric, but isn't everything? We're also on an English speaking site. It would be interesting to see what people's perceptions of skylines are around the world on a Chinese site or Indian site.

That said, Asian skylines are beginning to get the attention they deserve. Tokyo, Singapore, and Hong Kong have long been recognized, but people's horizons are expanding.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #119
Azrain98
catlover

Likes (Received): 2635

what a thread....
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #120
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
never even heard of the place..
how is it overrated?
Wino, you made me laugh.

Closed Thread