daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #141
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Guys (gals) please! However, you define what a skyline is, it is still all a matter of ones individual taste as to what they think a nice skyline should be composed of, which everybody is entitled to. Whatever any individual thinks makes a great skyline is just fine, whether it be height, density, or a balance of the old and the new.

With me, for instance, I like the overall mass and density of the skylines of Shanghai and Shenzen, but I have trouble with some of the architectural shapes and designs. It's all in what I'm used to, I guess, being an American who has only seen the skylines of New York and Chicago up close.

Best, overrated, underrated, it's all individual taste. I'm often baffled by what a lot of people feel and think about a lot of different things, but that's life. I have the strangest couple living next door to me and another strange couple farther down the hall, but who am I to criticize the choices they've made in life, so let's just try to keep the conversation more civil or let's have it remain that way for those of you who know how to make civil conversation.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:23 PM   #142
Joseph Gomes
BANNED

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Guys (gals) please! However, you define what a skyline is, it is still all a matter of ones individual taste as to what they think a nice skyline should be composed of, which everybody is entitled to. Whatever any individual thinks makes a great skyline is just fine, whether it be height, density, or a balance of the old and the new.

With me, for instance, I like the overall mass and density of the skylines of Shanghai and Shenzen, but I have trouble with some of the architectural shapes and designs. It's all in what I'm used to, I guess, being an American who has only seen the skylines of New York and Chicago up close.

Best, overrated, underrated, it's all individual taste. I'm often baffled by what a lot of people feel and think about a lot of different things, but that's life. I have the strangest couple living next door to me and another strange couple farther down the hall, but who am I to criticize the choices they've made in life, so let's just try to keep the conversation more civil or let's have it remain that way for those of you who know how to make civil conversation.
Shenzhen is still a newbie in the skyline competition, it should not be judged so early. Most of taller skyscrapers of Shenzhen are yet to rise above the ground, and those towers will vastly change the cityscape once they're built. Shenzhen's 'ugly' highrise apartments were built out of demand. Shenzhen is far more populated than all major cities of USA, thus it has to built lots of tall apartment all over the city. That's why the CBD's of Shenzhen don't look so prominent. Also Shenzhen is bordered by mountains and sea, so building tall apartments will save lots of valuable space and mountains won't have to be sacrificed.
Joseph Gomes no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM   #143
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
Shenzhen is still a newbie in the skyline competition, it should not be judged so early. Most of taller skyscrapers of Shenzhen are yet to rise above the ground, and those towers will vastly change the cityscape once they're built. Shenzhen's 'ugly' highrise apartments were built out of demand. Shenzhen is far more populated than all major cities of USA, thus it has to built lots of tall apartment all over the city. That's why the CBD's of Shenzhen don't look so prominent. Also Shenzhen is bordered by mountains and sea, so building tall apartments will save lots of valuable space and mountains won't have to be sacrificed.
That will certainly be interesting to see! The same applies to Miami. Our taller skyscrapers have yet to make it out of the ground as well. The market remains strong here, but like Singapore, we are limited by height restrictions due to the proximity of Miami International Airport, but at least we can have supertalls at just over 1,000 feet. Singapore cannot. We have two supertalls currently planned. Without the market collapse of the last decade, we would have had a total of four planned altogether.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:57 AM   #144
EU-Europa
Viva Europa!

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I'm sorry if u feel offended, but I don't find any wow factor in London's skyline. London's cityscape is still stuck in 19th century and hasn't modernized very much. Those Gothic architecture might have impressed me 100 years ago, but there are much more visually striking skyline in the world right now. London's skyline looks basically flat against the ground from a distance, and this doesn't fascinate me as a skyscraper enthusiast
LOL. You're clearly a troll. Let me guess; you think Dhaka has a better skyline than London?
EU-Europa no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:04 AM   #145
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

This thread is borderline city vs. city

streetlegal, Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora  
Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM   #146
EU-Europa
Viva Europa!

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarcelona View Post
I'm sorry, but London along with many European cities (PARIS, MADRID, MILAN and many others) don't have an underrated skyline... They have overrated or non existent skylines.

Just because these cities have buildings with history or monuments that made these cities great doesn't mean they have a skyline. I know people will defend London to the teeth especially the British, but I'm sorry, London doesn't have a skyline AT ALL! Chicago , NY, Miami, Toronto, and Hong Kong are cities with a great skyline, and London is not.

Is London or Paris greatness affected because they don't a great skyline? No, because London and Paris will always be amazing and incredible cities, but the skyline is clearly not a representation of how great these two European cities along with many are.

So let's stop pretending and defending a city that clearly doesn't have anything to really show for.
I really hope you're trolling, because otherwise, this is just a display of your ignorance. You clearly haven't seen the skylines of these cities in person, or you have a false understanding of the term "skyline"
EU-Europa no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:56 AM   #147

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by EU-Europa View Post
LOL. You're clearly a troll. Let me guess; you think Dhaka has a better skyline than London?
lol this troll tried to tell me dhaka had a better and denser skyline than hong kong and new york in another thread
009 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM   #148
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12209

Clearly City vs City, and wholly based on negativity. Please do NOT start threads like this again as all it does is give trolls a platform to vent against cities they don't like.

Highcliff, teresabaixue, bozenBDJ liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea  

Closed Thread