daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #161
PsyLock

Likes (Received): 456

Philadelphia. One of the most beautiful cities in the US also has a skyline to match but often gets overlooked. Maybe the US has too many cities that has good (or bad) skylines, but imo, the best one after NYC and Chicago. Plus its one of the three cities outside NYC with a Supertall u/c which will be in the middle of this picture.

Philadelphia Museum of Art and Center City
by Danya Henninger, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #162
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22505

Bangkok.

Sonic Highways by Peter Stewart, on Flickr
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #163
()_T

Likes (Received): 2271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocarlos View Post
Wicked!! This post fits the thread, underrated skyline indeed!
()_T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #164
tuktoyaktuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5548

LA DEFENSE DISTRICT. GRAND PARIS
http://img.bfmtv.com/i/0/0/9e1/9370a...f4397b0909.jpg

Greedy Sheedy liked this post
tuktoyaktuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #165
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

Grand Rapids, Michigan has a pretty decent skyline for its size.
A Chicagoan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #166
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6852

Brisbane. For a city of only 2.5m people, it punches well above its weight and is growing left and right. The city is a sea of cranes and has at least six mega-mixed-use projects that are likely to start this cycle.

Brisbane through the trees 003 by Nick Gorst, on Flickr

A City of Cranes by countchristo, on Flickr

renshapratama liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:43 AM   #167
dminer

Likes (Received): 1993

Most of the underrated skylines are missing 1/2 iconic buildings, a unique urban scheme or a heavily marketed perspective that define the whole city. More often than not it's the highest skyscrapers, but in case of La Defense for example it's the Grande Arche that makes the district unmisteakable and instantly recognizable worldwide, which is why I have no idea why would anyone post La Defense skyline as underrated. Same goes for LA - the skyline is featured in countless Hollywood movies and TV shows and the US Bank Tower is very distinctly L.A.
dminer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #168
DEJAH

Likes (Received): 2361

Avangard-55, Seoul_Korea, Zaz965, kdauksz liked this post
DEJAH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #169
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

Those Bogotá skyline photos are pretty old, now it's much better!! They miss some towers like BD Bacatá (260m and 216m), a tower of 185m near Davivienda Tower, and a complex of three buildings (123m, 100m and 100m), to not mention that in two years there will be other towers over 100m there and in some other years Atrio will be completed (274m and 201m) in that area

PROUD TO BE GAY.

7 AUG 2007 - 30 SEP 2014
SNSD without Jessica won't be the same anymore.

Last edited by Seoul_Korea; November 6th, 2016 at 05:10 PM.
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #170
DEJAH

I'm aware of that, the BD Bacata tower is still in construction so I thought I would skip photos containing it, but here are some with it:

El centro de Bogotá desde el Campín #bogota #downtown #building #buildings #city #urbanscape #landscape #centro #edificio #edificios #bacata #bogotá #colombia #telephoto #canon #canon70d
by Gonzalo Guerra, on Flickr

Bogotá D.C. Colombia
by Omar Silva, en Flickr

The tower near Davivienda at night

PD: the Atrio south tower will be 268m till the last livable floor, and around 317m with spire based on some estimates

Seoul_Korea, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 7th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #171
RandomDude01

Likes (Received): 103

Tacoma, Washington
RandomDude01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #172
linum

Likes (Received): 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyLock View Post
Philadelphia. One of the most beautiful cities in the US also has a skyline to match but often gets overlooked. Maybe the US has too many cities that has good (or bad) skylines, but imo, the best one after NYC and Chicago. Plus its one of the three cities outside NYC with a Supertall u/c which will be in the middle of this picture.

Philadelphia Museum of Art and Center City
by Danya Henninger, on Flickr
I passthrough Philly last year and thought the same thing. I find with the US with New York, LA, San Francisco, Chicago...... it's hard for other cities to get a 'look in' with tourists?

Zaz965 liked this post
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #173
linum

Likes (Received): 657

Australia's third biggest city - Brisbane. Population of about 2.3 million and in the middle of the southeast Queensland region which includes the Gold Coast (largest non-capital city in the country) and has over 3 million people.

[IMG]14716473_562499817275507_8204414848587530240_n by Liamoamore, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4525 by Liamoamore, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4537 by Liamoamore, on Flickr[/IMG]

TowerVerre:), Seoul_Korea, DEJAH, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by linum; November 13th, 2016 at 02:25 AM.
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #174
DEJAH

Cartagena of Indies
Colombia's fifth city

By AVM608

Zaz965, Greedy Sheedy liked this post
Old January 6th, 2017, 03:26 AM   #175
HDI 0.548
"white man's magic"

Likes (Received): 301

American skylines look pretty much the same, exception of New York's immense scale. Don't think they are underrated, they have a respect otherwise every American city has a best skyline in the world
HDI 0.548 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #176
steel100

Likes (Received): 17

Santiago

The Gran Torre Santiago is beautiful, well proportioned skyscraper (very underrated in itself). And it complements its skyline nicely. gives the skyline a cool 'sticking up like a sore thumb' vibe.
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #177
weirdo
helter skelter

Likes (Received): 296

Underrated:
Astana - most definitely a Central Asian standout with modern towers, both straightforward and kitschy.

Auckland - it's not super dense but it could have been more recognized by a bit.

Balneário Camboriu - If its name is more recognizable, it could be yet another overrated beach city, but because its brand is less remarkable than Sao Paolo or Rio de Janeiro, for its skyline's size, it's quite underrated.

Beirut - I love both Beirut the city and Beirut the (one-man) band and in that region, Tel Aviv gets all the spotlight. Beirut is almost as good and deserve as much recognition.

Brisbane - Australian cities have impressively beautiful skylines and Brisbane is among its best.

Busan - striking primary cluster with breathtaking views.

Caracas - I'm not entirely sure how well-received Caracas is, but it's got a beautiful skyline.

Istanbul - a Eurasian gem unlike any other.

Melbourne - beautiful collection of skyscrapers with varying heights that create a picturesque skyline. Sydney gets way more love when Melbourne is a serious competition.

Nanjing - it's the prettiest Chinese skyline that isn't Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou or Shenzen.

Osaka - Tokyo and Seoul are rightfully rated high despite the lack in height due to their massiveness. Osaka should in their level as well. Abeno Harukas, Japan's tallest that isn't Tokyo Tower, is a straightforwardly beautiful building.

Tulsa - I guess it's underrated, as many cities in the tornado alley are relatively lowkey. Maybe Oklahoma City, too.

Not underrated - I think these skylines get enough love for what they are. Not saying they're overrated, though

Bangkok - It gets enough love already, like Jakarta and Manila.

Beijing - its modern architecture is rightfully adored, but it's just not massive enough (and we're used to loving big Chinese cities).

Benidorm - in spite of its density, it's not a really striking skyline. It gets recognized for its size, but I won't blame people for having more love for Barcelona (or Madrid).

Boston - it is generally agreed upon that Boston has a collection of beautiful buildings. It's building taller, so it should get more love soon (maybe as much as Seattle's or San Francisco's) but right now, Boston could settle for being a top skyline in Northeastern US.

Calgary - It's one of the best in Canada and people acknowledge that but its specialness ends there as there are obviously more visually arresting skylines in North America

Charlotte - I'd put Charlotte in this category, because it's not really that big to get as much attention as those that usually show up when people mention their top 10 US skylines (usually any combo of: Atlanta, Boston, Bmore, Chicago, Detroit, DFW, Honolulu, LA, Miami, NYC, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Seattle, SD, SF, STL, Twin Cities, etc.)

Chicago - almost everyone agrees that this city's skyline is in the top 5-10. Its collection of architecturally superior buildings from different eras, the beautiful lake, and its height and density are recognized by everyone.

Detroit - Sometimes, people go overboard when lol-ing over the urban decay and population decline of the center of this Rustbelt city, but no one is denying the impactful image of its beautiful skyline. Not underrated!

Doha - used to be underrated but it's rep now is deserved for its size.

Edmonton - it deserves to be overshadowed by Calgary in the region, and by Toronto worldwide. It's pretty, but so are a handful of other skylines that's just as loved by people currently.

Guangzhou - I love GZ skyline, it has quality towers with impressive height but I see many people rank it as a solid #3 in China behind Hong Kong and Shanghai, which is well-deserved already, imo, even with the hype Shenzen gets with its u/c boom.

HCMC/Sai Gon - Bitexco may be one of the most handsome in Southeast Asia, but a single tall tower does not make a skyline all that - just ask Taipei. When KL completed the Petronas twins, it already had some density to support its gorgeous centerpiece. HCMC is not that dense yet to warrant as much love, if not more, than the other five in Southeast Asia. I'm sure it'll look amazing in a few years.

Honolulu - maybe I'm not just a big beach city skyline fan, but either way, Honolulu's already getting enough recognition in the US.

Incheon - its copy paste architecture is NAGL and it deserves to be less recognized by Seoul's dense, all over the place, urbanity.

Jakarta - It gets enough love already, like Bangkok and Manila.

Johor Bahru - not underrated at all, and it can't be helped if KL and Singapore are more loved. That Penang gets more rep is warranted because it's more aesthetically pleasing.

Kaohsiung - it's an okay skyline and its tallest building is actually not as refined as Taipei 101. That it doesn't get more recognition is okay for its actual look.

Kuwait City - pretty enough but deserved to be overshadowed by other Middle Eastern cities with better and bigger skylines.

La Defense, Paris - Among those mentioned in the thread, it's actually one of the most overrated. It's impressive, but it has a deserved good impression and doesn't need more.

Los Angeles - I love DTLA and I am excited with the development of its skyline, but its iconic US Bank/Library Tower is already recognized for its beauty and the skyline is already considered to be among the best in the US. It gets enough love in its current form and it'll get more love when it slowly builds up.

Manila - It gets enough love already, like Bangkok and Jakarta.

Miami - honestly, I don't find its skyline all that (as with many other beach cities), and its new developments get enough buzz here. It is considered to be among the best in terms of density in the US, so it gets enough love.

Moscow - along with London, Paris La Defense, and Frankfurt, Moscow is always considered to be among the best in Europe. Not underrated.

Mumbai - it has a dramatic location, a landmark bridge, beautiful colonial architecture but our dissatisfaction with the density of its skyline is warranted, given that it's the premier city of one of the world's biggest economies. It's not completely ignored either, so it's really underrated.

Panama City - Really? I believe that many people already consider it among the best in North America, even the best in Central America/Latin America.

Philadelphia - Everyone knows that it has beautiful tall towers that seem to be clustered perfectly. For its size, it gets the love it deserves.

Pittsburgh - Everyone knows that it has a beautiful cluster of buildings that look really pretty at many angles. For its size, it gets the love it deserves.

Qingdao - Like many other non-top tier Chinese city, Qingdao has a good central cluster and a sea of boring highrises that does its skyline no favor. Can't blame many foreign-based forumers for not knowing more about it.

Quito - More love for this picturesque city's skyline is not warranted.

Recife - the beachfront skyline is a bit overdone, so it looks like any other pretty beach city with tall boring towers.

Santiago - see HCMC

Vancouver - quite overrated to be honest. It is what it is - a massive skyline that's impressive in density in a pretty backdrop with pretty but plain buildings.

Warsaw - along with London, Paris La Defense, and Frankfurt, Warsaw, like Moscow, is always considered to be among the best in Europe. Not underrated at all.

Yokohama - back when the Landmark Tower was Japan's tallest, Yokohama received more love. But since the construction booms in China, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Europe, and the rebuilding that's happening in the US's top skyscraper cities, Yokohama deserved to slide down in the rankings. Minato Mirai is an impressive business district, but it's not in need of more love for what it is.

baisaroff, Erhan, Zaz965, EasySeven, Kadzman and 2 others liked this post
weirdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #178
Benjamin377

Likes (Received): 95

Tel Aviv, Israel (pictures not mine)
It has a very spread out skyline so hard to capture in one picture.

DEJAH, TowerVerre:), Hebrewtext, isaidso liked this post
Benjamin377 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #179
tuktoyaktuk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5548

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/398/31...33247e33_k.jpg

PARIS LA DEFENSE

Zaz965, roydex liked this post
tuktoyaktuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:01 AM   #180
Nadini

Likes (Received): 542

Biggy Beirut
courtesy of libano_brasil

#Tyre #Beirut #Lebanon from #Sky Hamza Bazzoun Hadi Bazzoun Mohamad Badreddine Dany Mounsef by Hadi Bazzoun, on Flickr

Last edited by Nadini; January 8th, 2017 at 07:16 AM.
Nadini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary, mumbai